• 253 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Alamo_Pin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What is the lamest pinball theme of late?”

• WOZ- Classic movie from the 30s that our grandparents watched and some of us enjoyed as kids but what does that have to do with anything now? 90 votes
    19%
  • WOF- So bad the makers of this game never bothered to finish it. 77 votes
    16%
  • Rolling Stones and Kiss- Some of the other grandpa rock pins get a pass because of gameplay and rules, but WTF were they thinking here? 36 votes
    8%
  • Hobbit- Talk about beating a dead horse. 8 votes
    2%
  • WWE- Yeah, wrestling was big..... in the 80s. 171 votes
    36%
  • CSI, 24, Walking Dead- To late to care about any of these TV shows. 28 votes
    6%
  • Ghostbusters- Really? 12 votes
    3%
  • Hardbodies- That would suck as much as the rest of these. 48 votes
    10%

(470 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpg
sassy2_(resized).jpg
images_(resized).jpeg
maxresdefault_(resized).jpg
Slim-Pickens-riding-the-Bomb_(resized).jpg
drstrangelove_(resized).jpg
dr-strangelove-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-bomb-original_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
simmons-sports-rainbow-fringe_(resized).jpg
There are 253 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 8 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

No crazy, I never thought it is nothing to do with $$$ although i can see that after what you said. There are several Stern LE'S in WOZ price range that don't get hate mail. I meant it more like hating your rival sports team that beats your team most of the time.

It's also possible some people just don't like it - you know, like every single other pinball machine ever made.

I'm not a fan. It's got nothing to do with the allegedly Patriots-like quality of JJP and WOZ. It's not the theme, it's the layout, the terrible outlanes and obnoxious "ball save" games I don't enjoy, the cluttered feel (especially considering it's a widebody) and a number of other things.

Sure, WOZ has haters, but it's also got tons of unabashed nutswingers. Love it or hate it it's here to stay, just like people saying they love it or hate it.

#202 8 years ago

Anyone who would berate a pinball manufacturer nowadays for making the huge investment required to produce a pinball machine in today's market isn't doing the hobby any favors.

CrazyLevi has the right attitude. For every person who hates a theme like WOZ there are many more who like it. That's why it was chosen. If you look at the list from the past ten years, none seem that bad to me. I'd take any of them. I'd even take a lame theme like Hardbody for the right price because I like pinball - period.

I always had a fondness for the rock-themed pins though. I know some on here claim they don't or are "tired" of them but even if I don't like the band, they have the additional value as music memorabilia. Themes are important. They can be a big factor in whether or not a pin becomes a "keeper" for me just like I'm sure it does for most. Theme can obviously also be a big factor in resale value.

#203 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

And you listen to ABBA. And that's why I love you.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ABBA.

#204 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Spoken like a true clueless, hipster douchebag. You and your pals must have those "oh so cool" beards growing into your ears. Or your heads up your skinny-jeans covered asses.
Guess I'm not hip cause I like Maiden AND the Stones. And Slayer, N.W.A., Hank Sr., Young Jeezy, Napalm Death, Jaco Pastorius, Beethoven, and a lotta of others that probably "blow" to you. I actually don't like the Beatles ; but I would never say "they blow", because that is just an assinine, ridiculous statement.
So blow me dickpants.

"Quit messing around on Pinside and fix that broken pin!"
-Eazy E, 1989

Those were the best days of Rap. Long gone, having been replaced by songs about popping bottles in clubs while disrespecting women.

#205 8 years ago

KTP...I apologize for being a dick. You are entitled to your opinion just like every other asshole on here. I think it was Confuscious that asked,..." hug it out bro?"

#206 8 years ago

Eazy E said : throw that JP in the gutter, and go buy another.

#207 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Eazy E said : throw that JP in the gutter, and go buy another.

That was off of Eazy-Duz-It. Track 6, titled "Tyrannosaurus Dick in Yo Mouth".

#208 8 years ago

T Rex only eats balls.

#209 8 years ago
Quoted from gwarrior:

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ABBA.

I think you spelled it backwards.....

3 months later
#210 7 years ago

Well pretty much every licensed theme from the last ten years sucks, and pinball has gone to hell in a hand basket.

#211 7 years ago

Shit it took you 3 months to figure that out?

#212 7 years ago

Definitely Woah Nellie, ugh.

#213 7 years ago

... Woah Nellie would be miles ahead and WWE second spot

#214 7 years ago

Woah Nellie is about the only redeeming thing in pinball over the last ten years.

#215 7 years ago
Quoted from weapon76:

... Woah Nellie would be miles ahead and WWE second spot

Whoa Nellie is an awesome theme. Times have changed, if machines aren't made after completely bland ideas now, no one gives a shit. For every TZ & STTNG, there were great games made aboot rafting, fishing (imagine if Stern said the new machine was aboot fishing...this goddamn place would burn to the ground), cars, magic, genies etc. ...those are some of the best DMD games ever made. Now it has to some wacky shit you grew up with so 4 people can make 40,000 aboot how they get boners from movies they've seen a bunch.

You're farming melons....Fantastic. Just as good as getting drunk in a park. Remember when you used to get drunk in parks? Daisy may does.

#216 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

imagine if Stern said the new machine was aboot fishing...

Careful... here come those Jaws guys.

Pinball themes might be a whole lot better if pinside was taken out of the equation altogether.

#217 7 years ago

I'd have to go with Long Duck King Kong

#218 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Woah Nellie is about the only redeeming thing in pinball over the last ten years.

You got that right Ben Taco.

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

You got that right Ben Taco.

Shouldn't you be driving south? Bringing some of that San Francisco treat with ya?

#220 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Shouldn't you be driving south? Bringing some of that San Francisco treat with ya?

Patience, Grasshopper. I got one mo' week of school, then I will venture to SmellA for that there Teacher's Pet.
BTW: Here's the most recent comment about me on Rate My Teacher:

5 Easiness
5 Helpfulness
5 Clarity
5 Knowledge
5 Textbook Use
5 Exam Difficulty
May 03, 2015
This guy has a pinball machine collection. Enough said.

#221 7 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

BTW: Here's the most recent comment about me on Rate My Teacher:

5 Easiness
5 Helpfulness
5 Clarity
5 Knowledge
5 Textbook Use
5 Exam Difficulty
May 03, 2015
This guy has a pinball machine collection. Enough said.

Wow that's pretty cool. I'm sure those running pinside are giving me similar ratings.

#222 7 years ago

I'd like Woah Nellie more if they'd released a Big Juicy Sausages alongside it. Think! Huge hunky butchers with their hard cocks clearly outlined in their tight jeans...maybe we could get an alt translite where you can see all the frothy precum. Sounds like a treat to me!

#223 7 years ago

WNBJM Because I thought it stood for...

Womens NBA Jam

2 months later
#224 7 years ago

Wish I could update the poll. Rumor has it Aerosmith is coming....

#225 7 years ago

Domino's pizza, pabst blue ribbon, wwe

#226 7 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Domino's pizza, pabst blue ribbon, wwe

Agree, agree, agree.

#227 7 years ago

I personally think Dominos and Pabst are superior themes to some of the other spoon fed crap they are dishing out as of late.

#228 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I personally think Dominos and Pabst are superior themes to some of the other spoon fed crap they are dishing out as of late.

You have to admit, $6400 for the Pabst machine that is a glorified EM is wayyyy too expensive when you can get a current SPIKE machine like GB, GoT, MET, and TWD Pro for $5K or less delivered to your door. That makes it the worst theme/machine to me, specifically based on that alone.

#229 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

You have to admit, $6400 for the Pabst machine that is a glorified EM is wayyyy too expensive

$6400 is way too much for any pinball machine, but it has nothing in common with an EM besides being a pinball machine.

This thread is not about that. It's about recent pinball themes that suck, and in 2016 Pabst is a more relevant and palatable theme than either Ghostbusters or Hobbit among others to say the least.

#230 7 years ago

Its a little outside 10 years but Rollercoaster Tycoon. RCT is seriously the stupidest theme for a modern pinball. Like... what. Turn a moderately successful PC game that so many people have never heard of into a pinball... Ooookkkkk.

Also gotta shout out XM. Not that the theme is bad, its actually a great theme and I love the X-men. That game is just a smoking garbage heap. I'd rather play RCT.

#231 7 years ago

RCT would've been super cool if they hadn't shafted the code.

#232 7 years ago

I'd gladly buy Whoa Nellie, no regrets. I'm not a huge modern TV or Movie fan, so I'm totally not into most Stern themes.

#233 7 years ago

The next Stern to come out. Currently Ghostbusters, until they release the next one...............

#234 7 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

The next Stern to come out. Currently Ghostbusters, until they release the next one...............

You've got to wonder when even the most hardcore, living in the past, 80s nostalgia nerd won't buy them anymore.

#235 7 years ago
Quoted from Playmatic:

I'd gladly buy Whoa Nellie, no regrets.

I wish I could afford one. I was hoping to wait it out and try to buy a used one from someone who was tired of it. But I don't think that's going to happen. It's too much fun. For me some machines are like crack; I can't play just a few, I hafta keep mashing that button. WNBJM is that kind of game for me.
Just me, but I can't think of more than a handful of licensed themes that I would keep, even if you gave them to me. Simpsons is pretty much the only one I can think of off the top of my head. Mebbe AC/DC.

#236 7 years ago

I'll play WNBJM wherever I can find one, but it is indeed too much money for a game that is not an EM. Meaning a new out of the box EM. They cut too many corners eliminating bells, gobble hole, etc. The score reels even seem fake. The original proto might have been an EM, but this certainly isn't.

For me Ripley's is the kind of out of the box theme of recent years that suits me, so the one I let go will be returning this weekend. Maybe this time to stay. Unless they come up with something better....

#237 7 years ago

Fergot about RBION. That too.

#238 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'll play WNBJM wherever I can find one, but it is indeed too much money for a game that is not an EM. Meaning a new out of the box EM. They cut too many corners eliminating bells, gobble hole, etc. The score reels even seem fake. The original proto might have been an EM, but this certainly isn't.
For me Ripley's is the kind of out of the box theme of recent years that suits me, so the one I let go will be returning this weekend. Maybe this time to stay. Unless they come up with something better....

Basically any EM beats WNBJM

#239 7 years ago
Quoted from fireball2:

I wish I could afford one. I was hoping to wait it out and try to buy a used one from someone who was tired of it. But I don't think that's going to happen. It's too much fun. For me some machines are like crack; I can't play just a few, I hafta keep mashing that button. WNBJM is that kind of game for me.
Just me, but I can't think of more than a handful of licensed themes that I would keep, even if you gave them to me. Simpsons is pretty much the only one I can think of off the top of my head. Mebbe AC/DC.

Luckily, there's still a steady supply of NOS Whoa Nellies available. I'm all for original themes. Frankly, non-original themed machines have always been a huge turn-off for me, i'd only buy them if the game was so darn fun that I can ignore the stupid theme. Lol

#240 7 years ago
Quoted from Playmatic:

non-original themed machines have always been a huge turn-off for me

Agree. There really isn't much original about pinball now. To me it's all pasteurized, processed American cheese food product. I prefer real cheddar. For those like us that want something creative in pinball, you mostly have to look to the past. And I'm not talking about for the next licensed theme either. It's been game over for a while now. Kaput.

#241 7 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Roller Coaster Tycoon is a pretty bad theme.
Edit: Crap, where have the past fourteen years gone? Reaching for the deep cuts..
I guess WOF is the worst recent theme.

I agree

1 year later
#242 6 years ago

If I could rewrite the poll, we would sure have a lot more contenders now.

Bump!

#243 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If I could rewrite the poll, we would sure have a lot more contenders now.
Bump!

Lemme say Congo... A fabulous PF layout to a shitty theme...

#244 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Lemme say Congo... A fabulous PF layout to a shitty theme...

Yeah, but that doesn't fall into the last ten years category.

#245 6 years ago
Quoted from Neuromancer87:

Like... what. Turn a moderately successful PC game that so many people have never heard of into a pinball... Ooookkkkk.

I'm about a year late to this party, but careful with those words! Your statement is demonstrably false. Roller Coaster Tycoon was more than just a moderate hit, it was an incredible hit. In total, by the year 2002--the year that the pinball machine was launched, the video game series had sold over 6 million copies. Just about everyone my age grew up playing that game. It was like the computer game equivalent of pokemon cards for us.

#246 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, but that doesn't fall into the last ten years category.

Ah ok! I didn't bother reading the thread statements after that new bump.

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Ah ok! I didn't bother reading the thread statements after that new bump.

Yeah, just look at all the lousy themes from last year that make Congo look like a gem.

#248 6 years ago

I personally think that WOZ is beautiful. It may not be the best theme for a pin, but it was an important film. JJP did a good job on it imo. I just hate WWE no matter how it plays and WOF just doesn't make sense.

#249 6 years ago

Dialed In is one of the worst themes in pinball history much less the last 10 yrs.

Every theme in that poll is X100 over DI.

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Dialed In is one of the worst themes in pinball history much less the last 10 yrs.

Do you own Aerosmith?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

13,000 (OBO)
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 5.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 253 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-pinball-theme-of-the-last-ten-years/page/5?hl=neuromancer87 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.