• 253 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Alamo_Pin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What is the lamest pinball theme of late?”

• WOZ- Classic movie from the 30s that our grandparents watched and some of us enjoyed as kids but what does that have to do with anything now? 90 votes
    19%
  • WOF- So bad the makers of this game never bothered to finish it. 77 votes
    16%
  • Rolling Stones and Kiss- Some of the other grandpa rock pins get a pass because of gameplay and rules, but WTF were they thinking here? 36 votes
    8%
  • Hobbit- Talk about beating a dead horse. 8 votes
    2%
  • WWE- Yeah, wrestling was big..... in the 80s. 171 votes
    36%
  • CSI, 24, Walking Dead- To late to care about any of these TV shows. 28 votes
    6%
  • Ghostbusters- Really? 12 votes
    3%
  • Hardbodies- That would suck as much as the rest of these. 48 votes
    10%

(470 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpg
sassy2_(resized).jpg
images_(resized).jpeg
maxresdefault_(resized).jpg
Slim-Pickens-riding-the-Bomb_(resized).jpg
drstrangelove_(resized).jpg
dr-strangelove-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-bomb-original_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
simmons-sports-rainbow-fringe_(resized).jpg
There are 253 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 8 years ago

I think WOZ was a horrible theme....

If they wanted to go with classic & whimsical - I would have preferred Willy Wonka.

It's sold well, but I wonder if that's because of the theme or in spite of it.

In general, I think the dramatic tv show themes are the dumbest:
CSI? Wtf?
Bay watch
Sopranos

All horrible,

And, while I enjoy sports- they just don't fit for pinball. I can't think of ONE sports themed game that's interesting.

#102 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I can't think of ONE sports themed game that's interesting.

Big Hurt was as good as they come as far as DMDs were concerned so what does that tell you? Although I do enjoy motorsport themed games as you can do something with that.

#103 8 years ago

I don't know if the poll correctly groups some of the "like" choices.

IMO Rolling Stones and Kiss are two very different themes. I don't care about the age and gender. One is a rock band, that's it. The other has characters. Through crappy movies, spectacular live performances, and a bazillion oddball toys, KISS may be 4 guys... but their characters are the musical equivalent of superheroes. That right there will lead to a better theme than some British guys in a gimmick-free rock band.

Also grouping CSI and TWD may be a bit unfair. CSI is probably popular in part because CBS dominates the older demographic. I personally don't know one person under the age of 35 that watches CSI. Meanwhile TWD, the show, has an entirely different demo, and is a pop culture phenomenon. Just like I don't know anyone that watches CSI, I feel like everyone I know asks me if I watch TWD. As pinball machines I believe one was a much stronger theme.

And just my $0.02, a vote for WWE because "it was big in the 80s" is a bit crazy. Yeah Hulk Hogan is gone, but WWE is now a publicly traded company that's wildly larger than it was in the 80s. They have a movie studio, development centers, a monthly-subscription online streaming service that has ~1.25 million subscribers, and are potentially going to break the US indoor attendance record in 5 weeks. Are you really saying "it was big in the 80s", or "I don't watch it anymore so I'm just assuming".

#104 8 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

IMO Rolling Stones and Kiss are two very different themes. I don't care about the age and gender. One is a rock band, that's it. The other has characters.

IMO the Rolling Stones were more iconic than Kiss could ever hope to be and the quality of music they put out especially in the early days was way above what Kiss ever did. And characters they were! But it is not 1970 anymore, and grandfather rock has been beat into the ground in pinball so both themes for today suck.

#105 8 years ago

And yeah, I woke up with a little bit of an attitude today. Every time I come up with what I think might be a good pinball theme, it goes straight to the basement, while this garbage is already out there and others dream themes permeate this forum. I guess 50 years of playing pinball doesn't count for much.

#106 8 years ago

WOZ for sure.

WWE will be viewed as a great game with some code love. Mark my words.

#107 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And yeah, I woke up with a little bit of an attitude today.

Methinks it's time to deactivate the account again O-Din and enjoy some of the simpler things in life...

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#108 8 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Methinks it's time to deactivate the account again O-Din and enjoy some of the simpler things in life...

You know, I really ended up wishing you had brought Hardbody over last night.

#109 8 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Done and done.

#110 8 years ago

Sorry guys, I had to do it.
Nobody likes a grumpangry Spicoli.

Enjoy your trip to the Noone Lagoon buddy!

#111 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Anything based off a TV show. TV shows that become popular come and go. Yes they can have a cult following. But overall in the future there will be something more popular. And people just will not invest the time watching an entire old series. Movies on the other hand are only 2-3 hours of your life. And can be just as good if not better of a theme for Pinball. There is just too much content in a TV series to fit into a Pinball machine.

With on demand viewing these days, binge-watching an entire series is not at all uncommon. Many of those supposed "bad TV-based themes" are series that I have watched years after they aired. I probably watch more old TV series than new these days just because there are so many great shows that I missed when they were new, now available included with my service.

#112 8 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Really...I would buy that game in a heartbeat!!! Actually, I just pre-ordered mine. It comes with tube socks multiball. LOL.
If they redid WWE to be themed for the Divas and had provocative artwork on the BG and PF, would that make a difference?

Yes.

#113 8 years ago

o-din's gone

#114 8 years ago

First, Pinside's "Voldemort".
Now, o-din.
Vanilla shall abound.
Boob, don't even think about leaving!

#115 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So was Gone With The Wind, but you don't see too many begging for that in a pinball theme.

I think you totally-missed the boat on the Wizard of OZ. For one thing whether you recognize it or not, the Wizard of OZ is almost unanimously recognized as one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of cinema. Based on an ingenious children's novel it is a masterpiece of fantasy that is still highly-revered today. It has subliminal messages about morality, politics and humanity that very few films have come close to duplicating since.

The Wizard of OZ is a timeless cinematic masterpiece that will be valued eternally for generations to come. It's one of the most-important films ever made. The psychedelic fantasy aspect of it has appeal to all ages and has a cult following like no other film ever produced. It is a great pinball theme.

#116 8 years ago

Manic

#117 8 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

And so he did. Why did you do that?

#118 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardbodies-speculation-thread

I think it was this that did it.

I can't tell if he was serious about this or was just satirizing the other speculation threads (which i wish had a drain button right on the front page) .

#119 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

The guy that colorized Popeye should understand that sometimes you just have to do what's best for society...

#120 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Big Hurt was as good as they come as far as DMDs were concerned so what does that tell you? Although I do enjoy motorsport themed games as you can do something with that.

Banzai Run

#121 8 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardbodies-speculation-thread
I think it was this that did it.
I can't tell if he was serious about this or was just satirizing the other speculation threads (which i wish had a drain button right on the front page) .

His Last post was in this thread.

Quoted from o-din:

You know, I really ended up wishing you had brought Hardbody over last night.

But thanks for linking me to Hardbody. I passed on the game real cheap a number of times. The backglass gives me the willies.

Quoted from NimblePin:

The guy that colorized Popeye should understand that sometimes you just have to do what's best for society...

Hey now. Hmmm, I'm not sure how to take that.

#122 8 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Someone's gonna say it, might as well be me: WOZ.
I was a vocal defender of it for so long. But now I think pinball would have been better off if that particular lightning rod had never existed. Caused too much online blathering, past, present and future. Sure, it's whimsical, family friendly, pretty. But is that what pinball is about?
Sure, it's deep. That's a saving grace to some. Mode stacking can be a rush. But it also spoils all the games where you don't manage to pull it off. Yay.

What you're saying is that it's just so good that most other games pale in comparison and that's a bad thing?

#123 8 years ago

Playboy
Rescue 911
Shaq Attack
Space Jam

#124 8 years ago
Quoted from Det_Deckard:

Playboy
Rescue 911
Shaq Attack
Space Jam

Yes Horrible games. But why does everyone ignore the "LAST 10 YEAR" part of the thread. Time to bail, not worth saying too many times.

#125 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

But thanks for linking me to Hardbody. I passed on the game real cheap a number of times. The backglass gives me the willies.

See beyond that backglass & the 80's colors and play it. It's a really really challenging game with a good rule set. I bought one recently and absolutely love it because its rules are so linear and easy to understand but the game is so difficult to score big.

#126 8 years ago

OP deactivated his account?

#127 8 years ago

In the last 10 years, if the only thing taken into consideration is theme and nothing else, BBH has to be the top of the list.

The music themes will all have their fans, same with the TV shows. Mustang fans and WWE fans are fanatics, so there is a big fan base to pull from. I just don't "get" the BBH theme.

I guess the arcade game was insanely hot in bars for a while, so Stern and bar owner ops could logically see some sort of cross over traffic, but by that logic there should have been a Golden Tee pin too.

Worst theme in 10 years, bar none.

#128 8 years ago

O din's out again?

WTF, take your panties off and man up!

Whatever dude.

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

O din's out again?
Whatever dude.

I have it on very good 1st hand info he just stepped out for some El Fartilitos and a beer or 3 and an avatar change and he will be back.

#130 8 years ago

dr-strangelove-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-bomb-original_(resized).jpgdr-strangelove-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-bomb-original_(resized).jpg

drstrangelove_(resized).jpgdrstrangelove_(resized).jpg

Slim-Pickens-riding-the-Bomb_(resized).jpgSlim-Pickens-riding-the-Bomb_(resized).jpg

maxresdefault_(resized).jpgmaxresdefault_(resized).jpg

#131 8 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Someone's gonna say it, might as well be me: WOZ.
I was a vocal defender of it for so long. But now I think pinball would have been better off if that particular lightning rod had never existed. Caused too much online blathering, past, present and future. Sure, it's whimsical, family friendly, pretty. But is that what pinball is about?
Sure, it's deep. That's a saving grace to some. Mode stacking can be a rush. But it also spoils all the games where you don't manage to pull it off. Yay.

Woz is absolutely fantastic!!! I would like you to name a few games you might recommend to me ?

#132 8 years ago

I voted WOF based on theme, but I think the game is really fun to play.

#133 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Don't confuse bad game for bad theme. Some of the games that aren't good don't necessarily have a bad theme.

It works the other way around as well: some crappy themes turned out pretty good games. WOF as a theme sucks big time and whoever suggested that (and ignored all the "Don't do it" response) should have been taken of any influence on what license to pick instantly. WOF as a game and layout is actually a pretty fun to me.

WOF had another disadvantage that probably hurt sales: nobody outside USA cares for the american hosts and even if the show is aired abroad it is renamed to the local language. Basically as a theme I think WOF wins on all fronts in being the worst:
- the theme itself is just lame
- no appeal to pinball players
- strategically not smart as export sales will be low(er) due to the theme

Having said the above: a lot can be repeated for:
- any superhero theme
- any TV show theme
- basically any character-based theme where you need to know who the characters are and how they relate to each other. GOT is a great example: never watched the show, I have no clue what houses are and who is what and belonging where. Same goes for Avengers, Xmen, CSI, 24, Family Guy (the show was completely unknown in Europe when the game came out), Transformers (what is an autobot? deceptiwhat?), LOTR, WOZ, Hobbit. Maybe this explains why Bally/Williams licensed themes are appreciated more: most of them use the theme in a more generic way.
- BBH (and RCT, but older than 10 years)
- NBA (Basketball is not a popular (TV) sport in Europe)
- some rock themed games (Elvis? seriously?)
- WWE (not popular in Europe, partly due to not being available on popular channels. Shouldn't that be something to consider when considering such a license?)

Sure I understand that putting a license on a game will create instant recognition and it will give the design team an instant framework / story to work with. But picking the right license appears to be an art in itself. One can only hope lessons are learned from the past (but I doubt it).

#134 8 years ago

Odin just fell through his own screen door and F ed himself up?

With Nimble?

#135 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Odin just fell through his own screen door and F ed himself up?
With Nimble?

If he keeps hanging out with O-Din he will have to change his handle to Stumblepin.

#136 8 years ago

Why was this thread needed?

Only folks born on or before 1970 need to reply....

#137 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

O din's out again?
Whatever dude.

See post
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-close-this-thread-down/page/11#post-2997783

Couldn't get the thread closed but got himself booted.

#138 8 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

It works the other way around as well: some crappy themes turned out pretty good games. WOF as a theme sucks big time and whoever suggested that (and ignored all the "Don't do it" response) should have been taken of any influence on what license to pick instantly. WOF as a game and layout is actually a pretty fun to me.
WOF had another disadvantage that probably hurt sales: nobody outside USA cares for the american hosts and even if the show is aired abroad it is renamed to the local language. Basically as a theme I think WOF wins on all fronts in being the worst:
- the theme itself is just lame
- no appeal to pinball players
- strategically not smart as export sales will be low(er) due to the theme
Having said the above: a lot can be repeated for:
- any superhero theme
- any TV show theme
- basically any character-based theme where you need to know who the characters are and how they relate to each other. GOT is a great example: never watched the show, I have no clue what houses are and who is what and belonging where. Same goes for Avengers, Xmen, CSI, 24, Family Guy (the show was completely unknown in Europe when the game came out), Transformers (what is an autobot? deceptiwhat?), LOTR, WOZ, Hobbit. Maybe this explains why Bally/Williams licensed themes are appreciated more: most of them use the theme in a more generic way.
- BBH (and RCT, but older than 10 years)
- NBA (Basketball is not a popular (TV) sport in Europe)
- some rock themed games (Elvis? seriously?)
- WWE (not popular in Europe, partly due to not being available on popular channels. Shouldn't that be something to consider when considering such a license?)
Sure I understand that putting a license on a game will create instant recognition and it will give the design team an instant framework / story to work with. But picking the right license appears to be an art in itself. One can only hope lessons are learned from the past (but I doubt it).

WOF all the way. It sucks no matter how you look at it.

#139 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Why do you think creating a pinball machine after the Ford Mustang is the worst theme?
Don't you like Fords or something?
Remember, the question is about the theme - not your opinion of gameplay or anything else.

I'm not giving my opinion of gameplay or anything else.

Quoted from DefaultGen:

Mustang totally sticks out to me, a pinball machine based around a single car model in a land of TV shows, movies, and bands that have wider appeal.

Right on, we are in 2016. I think the segment they were targetting is way smaller than they thought.

#140 8 years ago

Yep, I'm thinking EM Odin was ready to hit the road.

Adios, vaya con dios and wtf.

In the the "deactivation" scheme of things, its a "don't let the screen door hit your ass on the way out"....

#141 8 years ago

And yet another thread goes to pot.

Mmmmm. Pot

#142 8 years ago

#143 8 years ago

Rumor has it Jersey Jack's next license is a "Damn! Daniel" machine, with white Vans as the flippers. That could win this entire poll for sure.

#144 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I think you totally-missed the boat on the Wizard of OZ. For one thing whether you recognize it or not, the Wizard of OZ is almost unanimously recognized as one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of cinema. Based on an ingenious children's novel it is a masterpiece of fantasy that is still highly-revered today. It has subliminal messages about morality, politics and humanity that very few films have come close to duplicating since.
The Wizard of OZ is a timeless cinematic masterpiece that will be valued eternally for generations to come. It's one of the most-important films ever made. The psychedelic fantasy aspect of it has appeal to all ages

This may be true, but none of it makes for a fun pinball theme.

Quoted from Gatecrasher:

and has a cult following like no other film ever produced. It is a great pinball theme.

OMG no way. Never heard of star wars? A couple movies from the 70's 80's and the cult following is just absolutely ridiculous.

#145 8 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

And that is where you are wrong. A lot of people like the theme. You may want to take a look at that Avatar pin you have in your collection. That would probably get my vote as an absolutely horrible theme for a pin.

Avatar certainly not my fav - wife wanted it and anytime your wife actually *wants* you to buy a pinball machine, you buy the pinball machine

#146 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

For some reason this thread just doesn't seem right without rarehero.

Is he deactivated like yourself? Is this fashionable these days?

#147 8 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Agreed 100%. As a theme, WoF was probably one of the worst choices of the last 15 years. But I would not mind playing one, even owning one!
--------------------
Regarding WoZ: Was WoZ a bad theme? I don't think so! Although the movie does nothing to me and is completely forgotten in here.

I think it was a good theme because it was aimed at a different demography of players.
Theme integration is also nicely done. Imagine you are a child discovering that game...
The final reason why it was not a bad theme is that it sold plenty... In the end the market decides what is a good theme or not!

#148 8 years ago

Somebody ran outta Zoloft.

#149 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This may be true, but none of it makes for a fun pinball theme.

OMG no way. Never heard of star wars? A couple movies from the 70's 80's and the cult following is just absolutely ridiculous.

No way huh?

I think you need a reality check on the facts.

The Wizard of OZ is ranked higher than Star Wars in just about every source you'll be able to find.

You also have to remember that The Wizard of OZ is al most 50 years older yet it still has the staying power to consistently rank in the top ten of many polls and is always ranked higher than Star Wars.

The Wizard of OZ is ranked higher in:
IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes
AMC
TIME Magazine
Rolling Stone
BBC
Just about every poll you are going to find

In some polls Star Wars isn't even close. In others it is closer but WOZ is always ranked higher.

The Wizard of OZ might not have been an appealing theme for you but is one that resonates with a large majority of people worldwide. It's a fantastic film (universally-recognized as one of the best of all-time) and an excellent theme for a pinball machine. That's not to say Star Wars would be bad though. It would be a good theme too.

No theme is going to appeal to everyone though. I find it almost inconceivable that someone could prefer the band Iron Maiden to the Rolling Stones, but there are obviously some out there who do. There are also some who think Justin Bieber is better than the Beatles but that doesn't mean I have to subscribe to the BS.

lol

#150 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

No way huh?
I think you need a reality check on the facts.
The Wizard of OZ is ranked higher than Star Wars in just about every source you'll be able to find.
You also have to remember that The Wizard of OZ is al most 50 years older yet it still has the staying power to consistently rank in the top ten of many polls and is always ranked higher than Star Wars.
The Wizard of OZ is ranked higher in:
IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes
AMC
TIME Magazine
Rolling Stone
BBC
Just about every poll you are going to find
In some polls Star Wars isn't even close. In others it is closer but WOZ is always ranked higher.
The Wizard of OZ might not have been an appealing theme for you but is one that resonates with a large majority of people worldwide. It's a fantastic film (universally-recognized as one of the best of all-time) and an excellent theme for a pinball machine. That's not to say Star Wars would be bad though. It would be a good theme too.
No theme is going to appeal to everyone though. I find it almost inconceivable that someone could prefer the band Iron Maiden to the Rolling Stones, but there are obviously some out there who do. There are also some who think Justin Bieber is better than the Beatles but that doesn't mean I have to subscribe to the BS.
lol

Woz > SW?
Rolling Stones > Iron Maiden????

OmG....
Please stop I need a beer after reading this....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 91.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
5,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 29.95
There are 253 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-pinball-theme-of-the-last-ten-years/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.