• 253 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Alamo_Pin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What is the lamest pinball theme of late?”

• WOZ- Classic movie from the 30s that our grandparents watched and some of us enjoyed as kids but what does that have to do with anything now? 89 votes
    19%
  • WOF- So bad the makers of this game never bothered to finish it. 77 votes
    17%
  • Rolling Stones and Kiss- Some of the other grandpa rock pins get a pass because of gameplay and rules, but WTF were they thinking here? 34 votes
    7%
  • Hobbit- Talk about beating a dead horse. 8 votes
    2%
  • WWE- Yeah, wrestling was big..... in the 80s. 168 votes
    36%
  • CSI, 24, Walking Dead- To late to care about any of these TV shows. 28 votes
    6%
  • Ghostbusters- Really? 12 votes
    3%
  • Hardbodies- That would suck as much as the rest of these. 48 votes
    10%

(464 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpg
sassy2_(resized).jpg
images_(resized).jpeg
maxresdefault_(resized).jpg
Slim-Pickens-riding-the-Bomb_(resized).jpg
drstrangelove_(resized).jpg
dr-strangelove-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-bomb-original_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
simmons-sports-rainbow-fringe_(resized).jpg

There are 253 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 4 years ago

After the Hardbodies speculation thread got sent to basement because somebody didn't like the theme, it got me thinking that there have been worse themes in pinball lately. In fact most of them. So lets put together a list of the crappiest themes of the last ten years and then a poll will be added and you can vote for the bottom of the barrel.

#2 4 years ago

Someone's gonna say it, might as well be me: WOZ.

I was a vocal defender of it for so long. But now I think pinball would have been better off if that particular lightning rod had never existed. Caused too much online blathering, past, present and future. Sure, it's whimsical, family friendly, pretty. But is that what pinball is about?

Sure, it's deep. That's a saving grace to some. Mode stacking can be a rush. But it also spoils all the games where you don't manage to pull it off. Yay.

#3 4 years ago

I second woz. Never mind if the gameplay is good or not, theme sux for pinball

#5 4 years ago

Tough question, especially for something that is so subjective. People who dislike The Hobbit will say that "The Hobbit" is a bad theme, whereas someone who hates the band Kiss or Metallica will say those are terrible themes.

A more objective approach to answer this question would be to look at popularity statistics to see what particular theme recently used in a game is less known, less mentioned (say for example, in tweets, facebook posts, news articles, etc.), or less valuable.

Without doing the research, I'd be willing to say that solid themes like KISS that have a time honored and well respected name will hold up well. The Walking Dead is an enormously popular show currently, thus making it a valuable theme, but extended popularity will be questionable when the show ends.

#6 4 years ago

I would also have to vote for WOZ. For me there was no interest whatsoever in that theme. I'm sure there are some who think it is a great theme, however, they'd be wrong

#7 4 years ago

Mick...... On a dumb ass stick.

Bad theme, worse execution.

#8 4 years ago

Wrestlemania and Avatar

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

The Walking Dead is an enormously popular show currently, thus making it a valuable theme, but extended popularity will be questionable when the show ends

Debatable- the whole zombie genre might be on the tail end of popularity but it's still a huge part of pop culture from the mid-aughts onward. You can say it predates that, but there's been a big bubble in zombies and apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic everything since 06 or so.

I personally have very little connection to the super-patriotic bicentennial pins of the mid 70s, but love that they embody the spirit of the times.

#10 4 years ago

Kiss, Rolling Stones, Full Throttle, Mustang, WNBJM, or WOF. Take your pick...

#11 4 years ago

Woz

#13 4 years ago

Don't confuse bad game for bad theme. Some of the games that aren't good don't necessarily have a bad theme.

#14 4 years ago

24, CSI, Rolling Stones. just don't get why they made any of these games.

#15 4 years ago

I'd like to solve the puzzle - WOF.

#16 4 years ago

13 years, but... Vacation America.

#17 4 years ago

WOF will be better when it's remade with an LCD but it's bad theme.

WrestleMania might get my vote...but I feel like I'm forgetting one.

#18 4 years ago

I don't see CSI or 24 being bad ideas for a theme. Both were huge TV shows and had massive followings. Maybe they came out a little late, but pinball has always mirrored what's going on in pop culture. Rollergames came out because Williams bought into the hype that the show was going to be big. It ended up having a 2 week run. I don't think it makes the theme terrible for pinball, exactly. A bad theme is something that just had no real appeal to the mainstream or had no good cultural impact timing.

Yes, the Rolling Stones were well past their time, but they have a big enough following to be worthy of a game. Same goes for KISS. We haven't really had much of an outright dud theme in the past decade. There have been some misses, but I can't blame the intent.

WWE, for me, sucks as a theme. But I get the appeal. If I had to pick a theme that came out I personally dislike regardless of the game's quality, it would be WWE.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Yes, the Rolling Stones were well past their time, but they have a big enough following to be worthy of a game. Same goes for KISS.

Plus they have previous machines so the legacy factor gives them a boost.

#20 4 years ago

WPT - I like the game but find a big disconnect between poker and pinball.

#21 4 years ago

I would but the bad ones in this order from bad to worst.
4. WOZ
3. Rolling Stones
2. WWE
1. WOF - A better acronym would be WTF - who the hell watches that crap aside from the over 70 crowd?

#22 4 years ago

Definitely WWE

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

WPT - I like the game but find a big disconnect between poker and pinball.

Can;t get much more classic in pinball than poker/card themes

#24 4 years ago

Anything based off a TV show. TV shows that become popular come and go. Yes they can have a cult following. But overall in the future there will be something more popular. And people just will not invest the time watching an entire old series. Movies on the other hand are only 2-3 hours of your life. And can be just as good if not better of a theme for Pinball. There is just too much content in a TV series to fit into a Pinball machine.
24, CSI, WWE, WOF, WPT, GOT, Sopranos and TWD are on that list. Yes the zombie theme is timeless but it will eventually be "that old TV show". Based on zombies.

If there was a choice between the theme of TWD, Night of the living dead. Or return of the living dead pin. With the exact same layout. TWD would lose every time.

The only way a TV show theme will be good is if it's done years later after the show is proven to be a cult classic. TZ, is an exception.

As far as card themes they have been done to death. As well as bowling and pool themes.

#25 4 years ago

I'm not sure why there's so much WOZ hate, I think it was ballsy to go for that as the theme on the first pin from a new company and they pulled it off extremely well. Plus it seems to be a good magnet for women who might not normally play, and it's nice to get them involved. I'm not a huge fan of the movie, but I've seen it and think they did great incorporating so many of the elements from the movie into that game.

I think the Spiderman themed off the cheesey movie was stupid, and the Marvel Vault edition themed one now out would have been better in the first place. And Whoa Nellie - that was ballsy and I'm not here to hate on it but it glorifies the perversion stereotype some pinheads are known to be just a bit too much. It doesn't help the image of the hobby.

WOF - I agree with that one being mentioned also.

#26 4 years ago

No one is going with Whoa Nellie! Big Juicy Melons?

I don't have to turn in my Male card for just pointing this out do I?

#27 4 years ago

BBH Poor animals

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Cappi:

Hah, your post went in just before mine was finished, but I'm with you there!

#29 4 years ago

I like TV shows getting their own pinball machines. Pinball has always served as a snapshot of pop culture. They take the icons of the day, run with them, and then we can see later how things age. Whatever happens to the show, we can still remember that it once was a big deal through pinball. Any time I see a Baywatch pin, it reminds me of being a kid at my cousin's house. My older cousin loved the show in a MST3k sort of way, and I can picture him cracking wise at it while my other cousin and I did things in the background. Few other mediums preserve those snapshots of pop culture so well.

#30 4 years ago

Poll has been added.

#31 4 years ago

Going to say BBH. I want one, so not knocking the game itself, but a pinball game that is meta about being a video game? Why?

#32 4 years ago

for me GoT. any TV show really. The exception being TWD. It was well executed and a great game.
but when you tie specific characters to the game like GoT, 24, CSI, etc. no one cares 5 years out.

didn't watch GoT. will never watch it and played the LE 1 time and that was enough for me.
downvote away.

#33 4 years ago

24, CSI (microscope multiball?!), WOF and World Poker Tour all go in the "what were they thinking?" file. Even stuff like WWE you can come up with a pretty good rationale for.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Hah, your post went in just before mine, but I'm with you there!

I'm fine with the innuendo but a little more subtle would have helped a lot (feel like I should be 13 years old). Now Scared Stiff, that's a theme you can bring home to your wife without issue

#35 4 years ago

Guess whose got first vote, and from whom?

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I'm not sure why there's so much WOZ hate, I think it was ballsy to go for that as the theme on the first pin from a new company and they pulled it off extremely well.

"Pulling it off" well does not have anything to do with whether it's a good theme or not.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

24, CSI (microscope multiball?!)

Quoted from dgoett:

24, CSI, etc. no one cares

My two favorite games getting so much hate...

#38 4 years ago

C'mon get real. The question is about theme.

Hardbodies is by far the worst theme of all-time.

About the only theme that could possibly be worse would be a Richard Simmons machine.

lol

simmons-sports-rainbow-fringe_(resized).jpg

#39 4 years ago

Rolling Stones isn't a bad theme - Stern just executed it poorly. Bally's 1979 Rolling Stones is an awesome game.

I know there's a long tradition of card-based pins, but I found WPT to be an odd choice for a modern machine.

#40 4 years ago

Well, the infamous "W" word..... all 3 games deserve the same spot on the trash can!

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Cappi:

I don't have to turn in my Male card for just pointing this out do I?

I already did...

Quoted from Pimp77:

Kiss, Rolling Stones, Full Throttle, Mustang, WNBJM, or WOF. Take your pick...

#42 4 years ago

WWE!

#43 4 years ago

While I think the game is fun, I find the -implementation- of the theme in Lights, Camera, Action perplexing. It's like they didn't know whether they wanted to make a movie-themed or a gambling-themed game. I think it's weird every time I play.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I already did...

Dude, you ain't got a clue....

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Hardbodies is by far the worst theme of all-time.

I would beg to differ. Did you ever see the movie? I'll watch that before most of the turd themed movies they have turned into pinball machines lately.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I would beg to differ. Did you ever see the movie?

Seriously, there is NOTHING that 1984 couldn't do!

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I would beg to differ. Did you ever see the movie? I'll watch that before most of the turd themed movies they have turned into pinball machines lately.

Yeah it sucks. To even compare a one-star "B" flick like Hardbodies to an iconic Academy Award winning classic like The Wizard of OZ is laughable.

lol

If there was ever a machine just crying out to be turned into an Iron Maiden pin, that's the one.

#48 4 years ago

Mustang. Not just because of the theme but the context too. So many rumors in the air back then about crazy dream themes and they just surprise every one with a theme no one was asking.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Anything based off a TV show. ... Movies on the other hand are only 2-3 hours of your life.

I get what you're saying, but always exceptions -- TZ, for example. I find many shows today (GoT, House of Cards, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, etc.) better across the board than most movies. (Breaking Bad would be a fun pin theme...) Sometimes, I feel pins based off movies have little lasting appeal. X-Files has proven to have lasting appeal (the show, not the pin).

Quoted from erak:

If there was a choice between the theme of TWD, Night of the living dead. Or return of the living dead pin. With the exact same layout. TWD would lose every time.

I think it would depend on intended use. No idea if this would hold true, but if putting the machine in a hot spot for the purpose of making money, I'd think the TWD theme would out-earn the Night of Living Dead, etc. Maybe not in 5 years.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

To even compare a one-star "B" flick like Hardbodies to an iconic Academy Award winning classic like The Wizard of OZ is laughable.

We are talking about themes for modern pinball here, not Oscars from the 30s.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 253 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside