• Latest reply 3 years ago by Nysbadmk8
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

shaq (resized).jpg
leg bolt plates.jpg
10788277-The-effect-of-destruction-of-human-electricity-Stock-Vector-electricity-shock-skeleton (resized).jpg
118cae5cb744c99343553d730a1dcfbf63eb59cb (resized).jpg
CB53FA0D-B493-4D0C-83CB-926036BB10CD (resized).jpeg
077E8365-3111-465E-ABE9-849654737B9A (resized).png
CTII (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#87 3 years ago

How about Williams using identically-keyed harness connectors - sometimes in the same color too! - in the System 6 era. When bulletins and guides to "which chips / boards / coils did you fry?" have to be made, ya done effed up on the line.

I'd also say the lack of rectifier fuses until System 11 seems like a bad manufacturing decision too, BUT I wonder if maybe they just didn't understand the risk when they designed their electronic platform.

The Bally -35 rectifier board also seems like a horrible manufacturing design too. "Undersized and hard to work on" always fits the "planned obsolescence" ethos. But maybe they lasted as long as "intended".

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Realistically how long are pins suppose to last in the field? I'm guessing, but 2-4 years? Once they stop producing revenue a number of them ended up in landfills or parts machines for newer titles. That some are still trucking 30 or 40 years later is always a source of amazement to me.
Pin companies need to sell pins too, I'm sure making pins last longer than 5 years wasn't high up on the priority list.

Yeah, that's what I was alluding to. There's no question that for the "home use = forever collectible" market, and that same philosophy being applied 40 years later, that board was a terrible design. But of course, that's NOT the environment it was originally designed for, so maybe it was indeed "good enough". So in some ways it's hard to judge.

The Williams gaffes I mentioned, being design/assembly defects and/or safety hazards, are easier to damn.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-pinball-manufacturing-decisions?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.