darling-williams-pinball.jpg
nelson-bbpin.gif
dr_DaveChappelle_CS_w600_h389.jpg
RoGo.jpg
Playfield.jpg
Backglass.jpg
image.jpg
superstar.jpg
There are 512 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 11.
#101 9 years ago

Orbiter 1 by far.

But James Bond 007 would be a close second.

#102 9 years ago

Popeye is not as bad as it's rep. Does the upper playfield obscure view yes, but so does the getaway, you have a pretty good idea of where the ball is going when hit up there. Does the skill shot suck, yes, but it's not that bad. Is the multihull really the only thing to go for if going for points, probably, but there is more there if you just want to play to see what it has to offer. Tournament game, no, does it compare to the other games of the era, no, fun, yeah pretty fun.

But really the biggest line of bs in this thread is that somehow Hercules is better than the Rolling Stones. Yeah Rolling Stones isn't great but I would much rather have Rolling Stones as my only pin over Hercules.

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Popeye is actually really fun when you learn what to do. There's a lot of strategy and the game is not easy. People are way to quick to dismiss it and many who dismiss it have never even played more than a couple games on it...if any games at all. The Sweet Pea video mode maze is the a really unique interactive video mode and it is damn hard. Really cool idea to have the shots correspond to movement in the video mode. I have done it before, but it is so difficult I think it should be worth more points than it is.

I am actually pretty decent at the video mode on mine. I probably make it one of ten games, which to me makes it feel about right.

Popeye gets about the right amount of crap. It's a better game than people give it credit for, but not great. The art package is woefully overlooked in my opinion, and honestly the neatest overall package on any game I've ever seen. Yeah, seriously.

Then again, I like most of what people think sucks, so I probably shouldn't be in this conversation. I really dislike Theater of Magic, Indiana Jones (Williams) and Fish Tales, but that doesn't sound right.

#104 9 years ago

Also I agree, the only bad pin is a pin that is broken in some way or another, and I can even deal with small issues that don't greatly effect gameplay on location.

#105 9 years ago

Yes the art work on Popeye is pretty good. The big ship upper play field fits the theme, even though the theme over all is kind of odd. Popeye doesn't strike me as an environmentalist. But Python had an idea and went with it.

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I am actually pretty decent at the video mode on mine. I probably make it one of ten games, which to me makes it feel about right.
Popeye gets about the right amount of crap. It's a better game than people give it credit for, but not great. The art package is woefully overlooked in my opinion, and honestly the neatest overall package on any game I've ever seen. Yeah, seriously.

I agree. The art is top notch. I still see new things in the translite when I really look at it. It's no STTNG, but it isn't nearly as horrible as people make it out to be. It's not an easy game and it's different...two things I love in a home environment pin.

#107 9 years ago

Backglass.jpgBackglass.jpg
Playfield.jpgPlayfield.jpg
</thread>

#108 9 years ago

On popeye, the six ball multi- ball is not easy to get, at least it has a "wizard mode".

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

1979 Stern Hot Hand. The huge constantly rotating flipper on top is loud and annoying, and since you can spot cards up there all day, the drop targets are sort of pointless. Totally uninspired generic backglass art. Just a whole lot of "meh" on that game for me.

ace.
That rotating flipper is just a huge waste of space.

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

I know I'm gonna get hate for this, but Mustang is the only game I've ever left before I got to ball 2. But, I've never played Shaq Attack!

I call BS. There is no way you walked away from a game after your first and only ball. Talk about not giving the game a chance. It never happened.

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Orbiter 1 by far.
But James Bond 007 would be a close second.

But Orbiter 1 is innovative. Completely unique and thinking outside the box. I like how some criticize Orbiter 1 and then commend WOZ as being innovative. Idiots. Game play on O1 is unique and worth playing for the entertainment factor alone. Everyone that comes over, have to try O1 because they never seen anything like it. And love playing it.

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Game play on O1 is unique and worth playing for the entertainment factor alone. Everyone that comes over, have to try O1 because they never seen anything like it. And love playing it.

You had me until the 'love playing it' part.

Of course everyone has to try it. It's a total "WTF is this thing??" machine.

Being innovative is great, but not all innovations are good.

#113 9 years ago

I hated TNMT , but it might just be me.

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from chrisjens2:

Jurassic Park
I wouldn't play this pin if I were standing in front of it and someone filled it with quarters.

Come on, really? If that's the worst have you've played you've had a charmed life.

#115 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I think Gold Wings is the worst game ever. But it's so hard to choose just one from the Premier line up.
I did a container deal once where I was supposed to get an AFM but I got a Shaq Attack instead! Talk about the biggest gap in quality ever! Needless to say there were serious words involved.

I will concede that Gold Wings was a pretty lousy answer to F-14 (which to me was the obvious intent looking back).

I agree that I would be pissed off getting a Shaq Attaq instead of an AFM, and would probably say things that would make Q*Bert blush (no easy task, given he's already orange).

#116 9 years ago

I could not stand Fire, only had it for a few weeks. I didn't like the game play and the look of the brown cabinet. I know a lot of people like it, so it must just be me.

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I call BS. There is no way you walked away from a game after your first and only ball. Talk about not giving the game a chance. It never happened.

Good call. Dude was either off his meds or needs some to say that. In fact, anyone stating that any pin released in the last few years - hell in the last 10 years - is the "worst ever" simply is ignorant. Or more truthful, not a real fan of pinball. Sharpshooter is the worst ever. IMO. Just could never get into it and I've tried. Usually because it always has games on it when I find it in the wild. Someone change my mind.

#118 9 years ago

Striker Extreme

#119 9 years ago

Whirlwind

#120 9 years ago

Sir, you're looking for the "Best Pinball Game Ever" thread. I'm afraid you're lost.

#121 9 years ago

sopranos &
rollercoaster tycoon

when i posted this post before i got 40+ negative thumbs down

#122 9 years ago

Dunno if I'd say it's the worst game ever, but I really detest South Park. The theme is fine but the game is just a boring slog. The music sucks, the callouts get old quick, and the layout's shots are just boring to me. I'm sure, though, the bad sound and rules make the layout boring for me

Blackwater is also pretty bad IMO as well... The layout is cool, but the rules are shit on a stick

#123 9 years ago

I've never played it, but when PAPA's tournament setup notes refer to Kings of Steel as "Kings of Right Target" that can't be good, can it?

I do want to play it once before passing final judgment of course.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Sir, you're looking for the "Best Pinball Game Ever" thread. I'm afraid you're lost.

i was trying to make a point that one man's least favorite can be another's favorite. The O.P. has this game rated #1. I like the game quite a bit, it's somewhere in my top five all time. Too bad i can't find one that isn't beat to snot or restored to the point where it's $3500+ asking price.

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

Dunno if I'd say it's the worst game ever, but I really detest South Park. The theme is fine but the game is just a boring slog. The music sucks, the callouts get old quick, and the layout's shots are just boring to me. I'm sure, though, the bad sound and rules make the layout boring for me
Blackwater is also pretty bad IMO as well... The layout is cool, but the rules are shit on a stick

Funny thing, I grew up in the 70s (born in 1965) so I played early SS pins but then exclusively video games like Pac Man and Space Invaders, then just home computer games.

So for like 20 years I did not really know anything about pins. Then like 12 years ago my brother in law has a SP in his home. I liked it as I had never played or knew anything like TZ or TAF etc.. It was as if pins ceased to exist for those 20 years to me. So at that time I enjoyed SP. I never realized people could own pins and that there were modern pins with toys and DMD and rules etc..

I later discovered pins like T2, TZ, CFTBL, IJ, STTNG etc,, and now own 7 what I consider very good modern pins. So when I go back and play SP it's amazing to me that I ever thought it was fun. But to me it was like I has not played any pins for 20 years and this was the first modern pin I had played but I didn't know at the time how awful it was. More amazing that it sold well and that people who knew that games like TAF and TZ and AFM could be made yet was able to take such a great step backward with such a bad design.

#126 9 years ago

For me , it's Hercules. After playing 1 game, what's the point of playing the second one.

#127 9 years ago

X-Files ...... how a good theme can go bad

#128 9 years ago

I REALLY hated RCT....from a "when is this game going to end?" stand point. I left the free game I earned on the machine and never went back.

Dont understand the hate for SF2. Its JUST LIKE THE VIDEO GAME. What did you expect?

#129 9 years ago

Whenever one of these threads pops up, I see a dream lineup of some of my favorite pins.

*sigh*

My personal belief is that there is plenty of fun to be had in ANY pin...particularly in the DMD era.

Sure, there are some games I'm not wild about...but it is almost entirely because the theme doesn't really strike me the right way. I fully understand why others would like it...

Pete

#130 9 years ago

Hurricane. The thought of playing it now is even more horrible than the last time I put time on it. Sluggish, poor layout...almost as bad as Monopoly which is a close second.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Come on, really? If that's the worst have you've played you've had a charmed life.

Yeah really, for me this machine sucks! I guess I'm pretty charmed

#132 9 years ago

I thought Corvette sucked.

#133 9 years ago

I'm not a fan of Whirlwind, but there are LOTS of machines that are worse than it.

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

+1 on the call outs.

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I'm not a fan of Whirlwind, but there are LOTS of machines that are worse than it.

Whirlwind only sucks if the upper flipper is weak or the ramp is stuck in the up position. If it's fully working it's a great game.

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Popeye is actually really fun when you learn what to do. There's a lot of strategy and the game is not easy. People are way to quick to dismiss it and many who dismiss it have never even played more than a couple games on it...if any games at all. The Sweet Pea video mode maze is the a really unique interactive video mode and it is damn hard. Really cool idea to have the shots correspond to movement in the video mode. I have done it before, but it is so difficult I think it should be worth more points than it is.

I've given Popeye several chances, but man, that huge ship blocking nearly everything from view?? One of the worst ideas ever. Being a widebody, its 30% more wasted space on a desolate playfield!

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Maybe, but a close second is the Stern Star Trek,
It is my true opinion, I really don't get the hype or love for these?
Sorry.
I do love my GI and BBH though, figure that out

I understand and respect that you don't like them but this thread is about the worst game ever. It's hard to beleive you have never played a worse game than sttng

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I like street fighter 2...

Me too, I think it's a game that is a lot of fun and has some tough shots. Guile is challenge to complete when doing masters challenge as well as the chun li shot.

Don't get the hate on x-files either. Fun modes and fast gameplay. Oh well

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from Underspin:

1975 Chicago Coin "Super Star." Same table as "Olympics." The dullest & most pointless pinball I ever played. 2 stand up targets, 2 rollovers, 2 spinners and one big dumb space eating pop bumper right in the middle. BURN IT.

superstar.jpg 49 KB

I dunno, Super Star seems pretty interesting and full-featured compared to Ro Go!RoGo.jpgRoGo.jpg

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

You had me until the 'love playing it' part.
Of course everyone has to try it. It's a total "WTF is this thing??" machine.
Being innovative is great, but not all innovations are good.

Non pinball people that play it love playing it's unique gameplay. They have a blast and so much fun with it. I did too the first time I played it. First time I saw it, I think we played it for about 3 hours or so.

#141 9 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I understand and respect that you don't like them but this thread is about the worst game ever. It's hard to beleive you have never played a worse game than sttng

Howdy Mr Brown,
What don't you understand, I do not enjoy this game one bit!
I struggle to finish a game. No other pinball does this to me. I understand the thread question completely.
ie; worst game ever
glad you like it though, people hate my GI but I think it is the BEST GAME EVER!
different strokes, different folks

#142 9 years ago

Another vote for Poopeye....I"m sure there are worst games out there but not from this era and none of them are part of the "Super Pin" series. SR was right on.

#143 9 years ago

Quit being high...

#144 9 years ago
Quoted from chrisjens2:

Yeah really, for me this machine sucks! I guess I'm pretty charmed

Maybe the worst game you've ever played, but certainly not even in the realm of the worst machine made.

#145 9 years ago

I like this thread though, it's very revealing about how pinball is so subjective. And that's what makes it really cool, but unfortunately not that profitable. I have a hard time disliking any pinball machine, they all have their merits IMO. I can only judge from the machines I've played, and the worst one that I've ever played is maybe Hercules, or Orbiter 1. I get their uniqueness, but to me they are not pinball and are the worst machines I've ever played.

#146 9 years ago

Orbiter 1 had the potential to be a really great game. I love the art, the spinning pop bumpers and the 3D playfield. Also very cool to have the ball go safely behind the flippers, but not fun when it drains from there. I'd buy one if the price was right.

X-Files is also a fun game. I wish there were more of them in other people's homes.

#147 9 years ago

Bally Blackwater 100

For years I wanted one after seeing it in a book, and thought it looked really cool - all the plastics and artwork IS pretty decent - eventually a badly beat up one came up on eBay and I bought it for a song.

Restored it perfectly but oh man what a boring an dull game. Starting off with 3 ball multiball just puts a downer on it as soon as you get going, then theres the repetitive, low quality, annoying music and sounds.

Glad to get rid of that game. Glad I saved another pin. Glad I made money on it, but hell no never again will I play one.

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Ive never played a pin that wasnt fun.

That wasn't the question......it can be the worst ever......and still be fun.....what a great hobby!

#149 9 years ago

Well that's simple.....its gotta be The Walking De......wait, too soon? J/k I love me some walker killing. Come get some!

#150 9 years ago

DMD era, probably South Park or NFL. Terrible games. For a bit earlier, probably Bugs Bunny Birthday Ball. Truly awful.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 37.50
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
$ 75.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 512 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-pinball-game-ever/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.