(Topic ID: 42571)

WORST ->> Pinball buying mistake you ever made ?

By Beez

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 252 posts
  • 185 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by drshort
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2003.jpg

There are 252 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 6 years ago

Buying from Mr. Potato Head.

Dan

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

That

was funny.

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Dan

Just pissed my pants..... Thank you!

#104 6 years ago

Bought a total piece of shit smb from a guy in Reno. We met halfway. I was late by an hour due to traffic and felt really bad but he didnt care. When I saw the machine I found out why.

Corroded metal rails/legs. He spray painted them black and it was already chipping everywhere

Before I bought it he said the right eos switch needed adjusting. When I got there it turned into the flipper didnt work at all.

All of the leg bolt holes were stripped.

He was missing a leg bolt.

The machine had a lot more wear than he described / pics showed.

I was stupid and bought it anyway for 1300. Got it home and immediately hated it.

Traded it to another flipper for 2 60 in 1 cocktail cabs. Sold both of those for 1000 each so I broke even considering I had to drive 8 hours between both deals. I got really REALLY lucky.

The flipper that bought smb traded it and some other pins for two 60 inch tvs.

3 weeks later I saw the same machine on eBay, being sold out of LA. Someone bought it for 1800. I feel bad for them.

Lesson learned
Dont be afraid to say 'no', especially if you're feeling like the machine was misrepresented.

#105 6 years ago

The Birth of Mr. Potato Head.

So I am sitting there tonight watching the Flyers lose ultimately to the Penguins. A commercial for Flex Seal comes on and it suddenly strikes me that the guy hawking it on the commercial looks a lot like my good friend Ed (Strohz99). Ed is always very happy and joyful, a real pleasure to be around.

Anyway, I copy the link with a video clip and send it to Ed and a mutual pinfriend that this is either Ed in the future, his doppleganger or long lost older brother.

Ed replies that it is his long lost Polish relative and that he could probably help me sell my CC for 15 K! He then asks me what the deal with the Idaho-spud. I absolutely crack up as that triggers the new name for my favorite seller-Mr. Potato Head!

Dan

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

buying MM. Still was under market, but man, what an over hyped game. Never again will I buy a game based upon what the forums think is good. Because you'll find that many of the A list games are overhyped and sucky.

I totally get people don't like certain games, and I know you have given clear reasons for a while why you don't like the game, and pinball is not an investment, yada, yada, yada, but:

I remember about 5 years ago you sold one for around 5500.

So, ironically a bigger regret should be not that you bought it in the first place, but rather you did not hold onto it and cash it out for the big bucks it is going for now.

I get it- it is hard hanging to a game that doesn't do it for you.

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Paying close to $1000 to repair an EM that's worth $500. (Yep.... I'm a dope.)

pretty much the same, paying 400$ to repair a pin worth $200.

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

I bet a few folks feel that way .....

I was in the same boat, made the same decision and don't regret it. Ended up getting a Tron Pro to tide me over. Was so unimpressed I made a straight trade for CV a few weeks later

#109 6 years ago

I can't really say I've made a bad mistake buying... CFTBL was not for me, but I got it at a good price, and traded for a nice TSPP, which was great. Wouldn't have got the TSPP without the CFTBL, so still a good buy.

As for selling... There isn't a day that goes by that I wish I hadn't have sold my DM to fund my LOTR... Damn you Paul, you've had your fun, give it back!

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

It can't be that bad...can it?

Its not, that was my first pin. Yes I did sell it after a year but I really enjoyed it while I had it.

#111 6 years ago

My rookie mistake was fixing a dead machine that was for sale.
The seller then doubled the price. Now I don't even plug in or
test machines that are advertised 'as-is' or not working.
Steve

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I can't really say I've made a bad mistake buying... CFTBL was not for me, but I got it at a good price, and traded for a nice TSPP, which was great. Wouldn't have got the TSPP without the CFTBL, so still a good buy.
As for selling... There isn't a day that goes by that I wish I hadn't have sold my DM to fund my LOTR... Damn you Paul, you've had your fun, give it back!

HAH! so you admit that Creech has been a blessing!!

(you seemed so disappointed that I haven't jumped into any recent anti-creech commentary)

One for old times, my friend.

Dan

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from Bbismuth:

It can't be that bad...can it?

Very few pins are awful. I just paid too much for a hurricane with a bunch of problems, which i could swallow, but the game is a weak wpc.. sys 11 ruleset with dmd and a big wide open slow ramp.

#114 6 years ago

Just getting into pinball and walking into a retail store the first time, eyes bulging, and no lock on the wallet.

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

Putting a 50% deposit down on a WOZECLE instead of buying a NIB TRON LE.

I'm glad I did both!

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from zarco:

My rookie mistake was fixing a dead machine that was for sale.
The seller then doubled the price. Now I don't even plug in or
test machines that are advertised 'as-is' or not working.
Steve

I hear that, as long it has a non-working price!

#117 6 years ago

Yep, don't fix a broken machine before you own it. I try to be fair to sellers, if the game is not plugged in or they don't know where the power switch is I would probably do that and give a fair price. I buy many pins locally and I run into people I have bought from on occasion, both in professional and personal settings. I fear bad karma will start to set in if I really underpay for a pin and I know that I am underpaying. Thankfully the internet has really helped prevent most of the "I don't know what it is worth, make me an offer people." Normally I have to reduce sellers expectations about value, especially if the game is dead.

But I am not going to start wiggling connectors, checking fuses, etc. I figure they would have to pay a tech a few hundred to come out and do that and I am not going to do it for free.

But I don't go out of my way to try a machine out if I show up and they say it does not work and it is priced accordingly.

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

HAH! so you admit that Creech has been a blessing!!
(you seemed so disappointed that I haven't jumped into any recent anti-creech commentary)
One for old times, my friend.
Dan

Once it was gone, yes, I agree, it turned out well. Althought the satisfaction I would have got from TNT'ing it off a building would have been worth the price tag as well, so you be the judge

#119 6 years ago

Buying an Orbitor 1 for my 2 game (at the time - how things have changed) collection.

#120 6 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

I totally get people don't like certain games, and I know you have given clear reasons for a while why you don't like the game, and pinball is not an investment, yada, yada, yada, but:

I remember about 5 years ago you sold one for around 5500.
So, ironically a bigger regret should be not that you bought it in the first place, but rather you did not hold onto it and cash it out for the big bucks it is going for now.
I get it- it is hard hanging to a game that doesn't do it for you.

yes I did. But space is very important to me. I don't want to take up my valuable game space, with a game I think is half ass. Plus I had a ton of money tied up in it, and it wasn't worth it. I'd rather have 3 other $1500-2500 games in it's place. Was to much money tied up in one spot for very little fun factor. For me, it's about how fun a game is for me. I can realistically only hold 8 in my main gameroom and 4 or 5 more in my basement gamerooms. Which I don't like keeping games down there if I don't have to. So if they are not games in my top 20-30, they don't stay to long.

And I agree on Orbitor 1 for a small collection. not a good idea. I love O1. And it's one of my top 20 due to uniqueness and just all around innovative. But you need at least 10 games before you should have one, because it will get old very fast in a small collection.

#121 6 years ago

Buying from Curly.

#122 6 years ago

Not only did I overpay for my first 2 pins (STTNG & TZ), I tore my biceps tendon moving them into the van. Didn't hurt at the time, but the sound of it tearing sure was nasty.

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Once it was gone, yes, I agree, it turned out well. Althought the satisfaction I would have got from TNT'ing it off a building would have been worth the price tag as well, so you be the judge

Have you seen the video of the retainer chucking old pins off the roof?

Dan

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Buying from Curly.

Do tell?

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from sb80:

I bought Southpark when I was a newbie. Thats one depressing game.

Ouch ....

#126 6 years ago

We could make an entire thread about this. However, it's like the mafia...I don't want to end up swimming with the fishies!

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

We could make an entire thread about this. However, it's like the mafia...I don't want to end up swimming with the fishies!

Totally understand ,,,

#128 6 years ago

Buying Avengers Blue instead of Hulk.

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

Buying Avengers Blue instead of Hulk.

Why, with all of the deals out there?

#130 6 years ago

paid full price for a wwf,which was banged up,could have got a nice one if i waited,but it is my first pin,the positives are that i learnt abit trying to fix it,about what a difference abit of powder coat on the rails and legs can make,mylar and touch ups,and re rubbering and cleaning,and i learnt alot from this sight and the kind people around that are involved in this hobby,who took the time to take photos and help with suggesstions on what the problem was,so i guessed if it wasnt so wrecked i wouldnt have found pinside,which i am very greatful for,coz i dont know anyone into pinball,so i live and learn an hope i know a little more what to look for when i buy my next one some time this year..

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

paid full price for a wwf,which was banged up,could have got a nice one if i waited,but it is my first pin,the positives are that i learnt abit trying to fix it,about what a difference abit of powder coat on the rails and legs can make,mylar and touch ups,and re rubbering and cleaning,and i learnt alot from this sight and the kind people around that are involved in this hobby,who took the time to take photos and help with suggesstions on what the problem was,so i guessed if it wasnt so wrecked i wouldnt have found pinside,which i am very greatful for,coz i dont know anyone into pinball,so i live and learn an hope i know a little more what to look for when i buy my next one some time this year..

Great perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Dan

#132 6 years ago

Selling my GI and then finding out it was the only game my wife liked But it worked out OK, I found a new one last year and now all is good again.

#133 6 years ago

My wife told me as a surprise she won a Mr & Mrs Pacman from ebay. The cabinet had graffiti all over it. I worked on this pin for countless hours of re-hacking it so it would play right. Months later of getting it to work properly, I hated the sounds and game play. I should have just paid for it and never picked it up. Since then, my wife doesn't surprise me anymore with ebay purchases.

#134 6 years ago

I overpaid for my first recent pin purchase, I think. It's a really nice Gottlieb Soccer. Listed for 650, I got it for 460. Might be worth that much, I don't know. I really like the game, and I'll never get rid of it, so what's a hundred bucks?

#135 6 years ago

worst mistake: buying my first pin
best mistake: buying my first pin

#136 6 years ago

Passing on BIBLE and going premium...

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

worst mistake: buying my first pin
best mistake: buying my first pin

For sure ...
It can be addictive ...

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I overpaid for my first recent pin purchase, I think. It's a really nice Gottlieb Soccer. Listed for 650, I got it for 460. Might be worth that much, I don't know. I really like the game, and I'll never get rid of it, so what's a hundred bucks?

I don't think you can feel too bad about that one.
Alex

#139 6 years ago

Realizing drinking and ebay bidding don't mix well.
Wanted to buy a Fire! to donate to the Fire Hall my uncle is chief at - thought it would be a nice gesture.
A few beers with my dad and what started out at a reasonably priced, easily donate-able game quickly became 1500$...for a game in not so great condition.
Needless to say, I love my uncle but rather than donate it, I sold it (at a loss) to another Fireman for his home!

#140 6 years ago

My worst mistake is also one of my best. Over 10 years ago now, I bought a Space Station at auction. The auctioneer screwed me on it (I wasn't the top bidder, but he said I was, I decided it was close enough to what I had said so why not), I vastly overpaid ($1200+), it was in crap shape and fell apart after about two weeks. I then started trying to fix it...

I've put over $1800 in parts into it, and it still looks like crud. If I was going to sell it in today's market, I'd be lucky to get $800 for it.

But... I met SO many people buying parts and trying to fix it that are still friends with me today, and who have helped me to find a million and one deals since then. Thanks to that overpriced SS, I rarely paid over 75% of "fair market value" at any given point on a pin since then.

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Realizing drinking and ebay bidding don't mix well. A few beers with my dad and what started out at a reasonably priced, easily donate-able game quickly became 1500$...for a game in not so great condition.blockquote>

Don't Drink & Bid!

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Selling 24, it was soooo nice, but needed the money for TRON.

Bummer -- I'm looking for 24 as well.
I'm sure your happy with Tron though.

1 month later
#143 6 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

My worst mistake is also one of my best. Over 10 years ago now, I bought a Space Station at auction. The auctioneer screwed me on it (I wasn't the top bidder, but he said I was, I decided it was close enough to what I had said so why not), I vastly overpaid ($1200+), it was in crap shape and fell apart after about two weeks. I then started trying to fix it...
I've put over $1800 in parts into it, and it still looks like crud. If I was going to sell it in today's market, I'd be lucky to get $800 for it.
But... I met SO many people buying parts and trying to fix it that are still friends with me today, and who have helped me to find a million and one deals since then. Thanks to that overpriced SS, I rarely paid over 75% of "fair market value" at any given point on a pin since then.

So at the end of the day ... a Bad purchase turned out to be a win in the long run.

#144 6 years ago

I put 50 cents into a South Park. It was terrible. A few months later, I did it again. Left after ball 2.

I haven't made any bad purchases, really, but I really, really, REALLY regret not buying BBB when I had a good chance to or not buying a Tron LE.

#145 6 years ago

My worst mistake was meaning for years to buy a pin (I was more into the arcade scene) and waiting until now when the prices suck to finally get off my ass about it.

#146 6 years ago

Buying a Fireball Home Edition. Only paid $200 for it but got it home and it had issues. Tried to get it repaired but the parts aren't available for it and ended up losing $200 on it after buying parts and getting a tech to look at it.

#147 6 years ago

Selling my HUO The Shadow! Irreplaceable. Oh, and selling my CC.

#148 6 years ago

Buying POTC. What an awful game from a software standpoint. To top it off, I sold IJ to get it, and then lost money when I sold POTC, lol. But I did make a good friend when I sold IJ (jayhawkai) so I guess it wasn't a total loss.

#149 6 years ago

Not looking for playfield wear on the first LOTR I bought. Seller, he posts here, said the playfield was a 9/10. I get the machine home and find that the balrog toy had been broken and scraping the playfield as it turned leaving a large gouge in the playfield. The seller offered me no money back and instead suggested I fill the gouge and paint over it...I did just that and did a decent touch up job. When it came time to sell the machine (bought an HUO one to replace it) I made sure to inform the buyer of the gouge and touch up work.

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My worst mistake was meaning for years to buy a pin (I was more into the arcade scene) and waiting until now when the prices suck to finally get off my ass about it.

That's mine too, just didn't have the space for them though. Ah well, just have to save for more now...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 229.99
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Wheezer
$ 48.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 9,000.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 15.75
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 28.00
$ 6,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 30.00
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
There are 252 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside