(Topic ID: 42571)

WORST ->> Pinball buying mistake you ever made ?

By Beez

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 273 posts
  • 200 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by DavidCPA
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2003.jpg

There are 273 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 11 years ago

So many offers out there that pop up on CL, ebay, etc from time to time ...

What's the WORST Pinball buying mistake you ever made?

#2 11 years ago

I've lost some money overpaying for unpopular Bally games when I was a newbie. I lost $300 each on X's and O's and Vector. I probably should have kept X's and O's; it was a fun pin.

#3 11 years ago

About the only mistake I made was overpaying by a couple hundred on my first pin, EATPM. That was nearly ten years ago, I'm just about over it.

#4 11 years ago

Thinking I would like a South Park in my collection...

#5 11 years ago

Thinking that I couldn't spend too much on a pin so settling on a cheaper title I didn't want. Got bored of it quick and have had to buy other pins to satisfy me

#6 11 years ago

Getting into this hobby

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Getting into this hobby

X 2 + 9 games its a good thing

#8 11 years ago

Bought my first pin from a dealer. He's a good guy, but I grossly overpaid. Live and learn.

#9 11 years ago

Not buying a SM for 3800. Selling my ngg. Selling a pin on eBay.

#10 11 years ago

Ebay most of you know this story. =(

#11 11 years ago

Paying the asking price for a Sharp Shooter when we couldnt get the back box unlocked.

#12 11 years ago

Getting into this hobby

Well said.

#13 11 years ago

havent yet i dont think.

#14 11 years ago

Bought a Creech with a half-assed restore job for the price of the whole ass.

#15 11 years ago

Actually the biggest buying mistake I ever made was passing up a TOTAN for $3k about 6-7 years ago, just because it was filthy. It probably would have cleaned up well enough to be a $6k pin.

All my worst mistakes were selling: $2500 WH2O, $2300 TZ...

#16 11 years ago

Buying my LOTR LE from the wrong retailer.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I probably should have kept X's and O's

That was my first game, it is a good game, lol

My biggist mistake was buying X's and O's because its the one that started the ...sickness

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Bought a Creech with a half-assed restore job for the price of the whole ass.

So did you turn the other cheek? Sorry, I guess you couldn't with only one cheek...

Dan

#19 11 years ago

Never made a buying mistake, I have made over 30 selling mistakes though

#20 11 years ago

Buying a beater T2, deep in the red, but may be a good parts game haha.

#21 11 years ago

Years back I sold off 7 games to buy porsche. Tom, tspp, cc, tz, lotr, jumping jack, scared stiff. got back ss, tz. Liked jj and lord but not enough to buy back. Hated Tom tspp and cc. So those three were worst. But to each their own. I know lots of people love those three.

#22 11 years ago

Buying a game and wanting to have it shipped without checking first if the pickup location was 18 wheeler accessible. The shipping company said they would have to send a small truck out since the location was considered remote and not on a regular route. The shipping charges were more than the cost of the game.

#23 11 years ago

Bought my first two pins from a retailer and paid way too much. That guy must have laughed all the way to the bank.

#24 11 years ago

Not looking for battery corrosion.

I guess you could say overpaying, but I don't value the machines the same as everyone else. What might be a $3500 machine for someone might be a $4500 for me. And with how limited some are in the open market, and rare to find them available locally, I don't consider overpaying for something you really want a sin.

#25 11 years ago

Buying a pin from The Game Gallery in Florida

#26 11 years ago

Letting my good friend have a $200 TZ that I found.
He is a good friend and I already had one. Mine was NOT $200

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from ScottinSGFNY:

Thinking I would like a South Park in my collection...

did the same thing....sold it within a few weeks....oops...

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I need to become better friends with you!!! Your beers shall be on me at the TPF!

Oh, and if you find me an MM for $200 a bottle of Dom will be on me too!

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I need to become better friends with you!!! Your beers shall be on me at the TPF!
Oh, and if you find me an MM for $200 a bottle of Dom will be on me too!

Actually, scratch the Dom . . . we share a couple bottles of Loui XIII.

#30 11 years ago

Hurricane

#31 11 years ago

buying my first pin in 1999, and waiting way too long to buy another...

#32 11 years ago

Had a few thank god I did not buy. Everything else I can at least come out even on.

Maybe close was paying too much for a non working routed NF from an op.

#33 11 years ago

Somehow I forked over the cash for my Shadow and didn't notice, until after I tipped her on her back, that the bottom of the cab was swollen and deformed with moisture damage.

Happy ending: I was so pissed it sat in storage for a year and a half, and by the time I got it out, the concurrent price inflation made it a good deal after all. And in the meantime I had found a fine Shadow empty cab to swap it into for fifty bucks.

#34 11 years ago

hmmmm passed on a champion pub on criagslist a couple years ago for 2k, was close to me too, what was i smoking that day?

#35 11 years ago

My worst buying mistake was not buying a hell of a lot more pins in the mid 90's when I got started. Never would have dreamed any machine would go for over 3 or 4 grand at the time.

#36 11 years ago

STOP HASHTAGGING!!!! *huff huff huff*

This isn't Twitter!

#37 11 years ago

Preordering X-Men. I bought into that giant hype thread and pre-ordered it, even though I'd planned to wait on Avengers.

#38 11 years ago

Not a buying mistake but selling my Fathom restore project because I was so burned out on it. Someday I'll be able to get it back (friend has it) but I have to wait until he gets tired of it, lol, which might be 10 years.

Worst buying mistake? Nothing really stands out...pretty much seized every opportunity I was presented with and never passed on any good deals.

#39 11 years ago

buying replacement plastics, but didn't notice the one piece I needed wasn't among the listing.

#40 11 years ago

Those stupid little trolley wheels to move games..... ridiculous!!

#41 11 years ago

Not buying Ironman when they where new in box.

#42 11 years ago

Inspected a roadshow in detail before buying and didnt notice the transistor for Reds eyes had burnt a hole in the powerdriver board..

#43 11 years ago

buying a rotten congo for the price of a fully shopped and cleaned congo.
it was my first buy.. oh well...

#44 11 years ago

Putting a 50% deposit down on a WOZECLE instead of buying a NIB Tron LE.

#45 11 years ago

Getting into this hobby

I noticed you have 8 games in your collection? Last week you had close to 30?

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

Buying a game and wanting to have it shipped without checking first if the pickup location was 18 wheeler accessible. The shipping company said they would have to send a small truck out since the location was considered remote and not on a regular route. The shipping charges were more than the cost of the game.

outch

#47 11 years ago

Taking a 10 year hiatus from the hobby......and then jumping back in AFTER prices had skyrocketed.

#48 11 years ago

Not getting back in sooner. Missed most of the good prices.

#49 11 years ago

Early 2012, on an op raid, with space in my vehicle and money in my pocket, turned down a fully working, very nicely just shopped out Attack From Mars for $2,100. When I came to my senses and called the op back about 29 hours later, it was too late, some flipper had swooped in and picked it up already. I heard he resold it, as is, for $6,500 in less than a week.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Similar experience here.
800 euro scared stiff. And helped redecal his IJ, prepped the cabinet for him, stored it months at my house.
Were on his wanted list and he was never going to sell them.
Didnt have room myself for the ss so let it to him.

3 months later he has a new girlfriend, moves out of his house and sells everything ..

There are 273 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-pinball-buying-mistake-you-ever-made and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.