8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Skyemont
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

100_0520.JPG
    th_cosmos004.jpg

#1 8 years ago

Hey Guys,
    Whats the worst pin that you have ever bought and then thought better of the investment?
    Must be some great stories here!
    Thanks

#2 8 years ago

I'm upside down on my JD & my Jokerz but i never bought them as investments so no big deal.

#3 8 years ago

I am happy with every pin.

#4 8 years ago

A Bally Night Rider. A friend and I bought a couple of pins from someone, all working but unseen. I went for NR because I thought it looked great. When we got them back I couldn't take to it at all. I swapped it with my friend then and there and have never regretted it. He still has it and it makes me cringe every time he suggests playing it.

I think I owned it for 2 hrs roughly.

#5 8 years ago

my taxi. love the game but I was too compulsive and should of held out for one in better condition and at a better price.

#6 8 years ago

I took a chance recently, and traded my TSPP for The Shadow. I had never played The Shadow before, but reading everyone's glowing reports on the pin, and with the pin being a top 30 machine, I thought that I couldn't go wrong. Well I have... I have been playing it, but I just cannot get into this machine at all. I don't think it will be hanging around here in my collection for too much longer somehow...

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from Outlane-Avoider:

I took a chance recently, and traded my TSPP for The Shadow. I had never played The Shadow before, but reading everyone's glowing reports on the pin, and with the pin being a top 30 machine, I thought that I couldn't go wrong. Well I have... I have been playing it, but I just cannot get into this machine at all. I don't think it will be hanging around here in my collection for too much longer somehow...

Wow, that's a real surprise. I've never played one either, have almost bought one several times but ultimately missed the deals...guess I should continue to adhere to my policy of playing them first. (I've done that with all of my games so far, and am happy with them all actually.)

#8 8 years ago

Hi,

My first post to pinside! I have been on RPG group for quite a while... post on occasion, but not too often. I stumbled on pinside a month ago and seems like a great group.

Anyhow, I have both TSPP and Shadow.... I like them both, but they are really different. For the shadow I like the fact that it is fast and punishing if you miss a shot. My games do not last long (I am only an ok player at best). I really like the sound package and the look of the game (I have an alternative translite). Having said this, I rushed to buy this shadow... and paid too much for it, so I dont regret the machine choice, but do regret the price.

TSPP is just beyond deep, and there is so much to do.. I will never get to super duper wizard mode.... not chance. Helps that I love the theme.

One suggest to everyone is to use VPinMAME to get an idea if you will like the game.... the play isnt perfect, but I think it is good enough that you will know if you wont like it.

Jim

#9 8 years ago

Welcome, Jim!

#10 8 years ago

I have a 1968 bally gator I can't get rid of for $200 (bought it for $150, replaced all the rubber, fuses, bulbs, and coils), so I'm already upside down on it. EM's just don't seem to be worth a darn (at least those that aren't popular).

I shouldn't regret it because it was my first, and it was a good learning experience, but I just wish I could get rid of it so I can get a SS.

#11 8 years ago

Eight Ball Champ....I bought it with the intents of making it a show piece. However, the mylar was severely bubbled and lifting and needed to be taken off. Long story short, the mylar came off easy, but the glue did not. Bally used freaking superglue for that era, and the only thing Goo Gone, Naptha and Orange Power did was take the paint off. After getting 100% of the glue off and about 25% of the paint, I gave up and sold it for less than I had into it to a more ambitious restorer.

#12 8 years ago

Hey,

I bought a pretty much pristine Black Knight last year; it had a small nick on the left side of the cabinet that was maybe the size of my thumbnail, and a small (tip of a pencil sized) mark on the backglass which may or may not have come from me moving it 800-ish miles. I tried it out, and it seemed like a reasonable game. I hadn't played it when it was new; I don't think I was born, but for the price and condition, I couldn't really turn it down.

I had the game for about three months; there was one night that I can recall being into that game and enjoying it, but it just seemed fast with no substance to it whatsoever. I sold it to a fellow who had been looking for one for five years; he couldn't have been happier, and I was able to get a Pin*Bot. Good deal for everyone.

Luke

#13 8 years ago

Electro-Mechanical Game,1969-Bally-COSMOS Machine,Bought from e-bay,A real piece of shi*,Spent over a $1000.00 and countless hrs.,fixing,rebuilding the cabinet,painting,f...ing around.
    Sold it for $20.00,just to get rid of that slow,boring,broken down EM Machine.Good Riddance!!
    Love the DMD's I have now. th_cosmos004.jpg

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

One suggest to everyone is to use VPinMAME to get an idea if you will like the game.... the play isnt perfect, but I think it is good enough that you will know if you wont like it.

Welcome to Pinside Jim!

I downloaded VPinMAME once, but successfully getting it to work seems to be a greater challenge than getting Super Duper Wizard Mode (at least for me).

(Not that I've ever gotten Super Duper Wizard Mode, either.)

#15 8 years ago

Even though I thought it was a decent game Medieval Madness was a disappointment once I got it home. I just expected more for the price and the hype. Of course I don't think any pin could live up to that kind of hype. I tried to love it, but three months later it was gone.

#16 8 years ago

Twister ,,, Never Again !!! I was bidd-n on it at the Auction , I didn't see Dog5790 bidd-n on it also. I won the bid-- Out the door price was $ 950.75 ... I played it for a Few week's ,, Dog came over , i had Replaced the 2 of the 5-ball roll over switches in the through, and it was work-n Great , but i hated it.. I sold it to him for $ 1050.00 .. Good Bye , and Get out !!! LOL He still has it after 2 1/2 yr's ..

#17 8 years ago

Gilligan's Island and Independence Day. GI was the one that convinced me that
    A: there are actually REALLY bad pins, and
    B: theme alone (yes, I love the show) cannot redeem a bad pin.

ID4 was the one that made me not trust PinMame anymore...it played good on there but what a slow, boring package in real life. Neither was worth the effort it took to get them here.

I am glad that I had them both for one reason - so I don't make that mistake again.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from ataritoday:

I have both TSPP and Shadow.... I like them both, but they are really different. For The Shadow I like the fact that it is fast and punishing if you miss a shot. My games do not last long (I am only an ok player at best).

Welcome Jim, you are not alone. I have seen some of the best struggle with Shadow in competitions.

#19 8 years ago

There have been several that I will never buy again which I'd find it difficult to say which was the worst... I guess it's a tie between:

RCT
    Striker Extreme
    South Park

I would have added Dr Who to the list, but it was fairly easy to sell, so I don't regret buying it as much as the above...

#20 8 years ago

I would never buy another EM. Even though I only paid $200 for mine it just takes up space that could be used for something better. If someone offered me $50 to haul it away I'd take it.

T2 was another mistake. Overrated and boring.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

T2 was another mistake. Overrated and boring.

This

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from emo:

Welcome Jim, you are not alone. I have seen some of the best struggle with Shadow in competitions.

I only played two or three games on that and it thoroughly kicked my backside. I'm game for more time on it, though.

#23 8 years ago

I'd say Indiana Jones and Hurricane. The Hurricane wasn't horrible, but it's just boring after a while. Indiana Jones was one I wanted badly for a long time, and when I finally got it, they honeymoon period didn't last long at all. The game is just clunky. Too much going on too close the flippers and that dang mode start shot is really unreliable with all of the bounce outs.

#24 8 years ago

my judge dredd, mainly because i wasn't observant enough when buying but also bc i found nicer machines for the same or only slightly more $$. I love the game, just wish i woulda looked longer first.

#25 8 years ago

Agree with jar155. Got a good deal on an IJ and had it for several months but it is my least favorite machine I have owned.

#26 8 years ago

Future Spa. So frackin slow I couldn't stand it.

#27 8 years ago

My DE SW. I love the pin but it was my 1st and kinda got screwed on the price. If i knew then what I do now I wouldnt have bought it.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Future Spa. So frackin slow I couldn't stand it.

You should have tried jacking the rear leg adjusters up a bit

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

T2 was another mistake. Overrated and boring

Do you remember me saying i didn't remember anything about that game even though i used to play it back in the day. It must've been so bad that I repressed those memories!

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Do you remember me saying i didn't remember anything about that game even though i used to play it back in the day. It must've been so bad that I repressed those memories!

Yes. I could see how it could be popular in an arcade. The light show is impressive and of course it has Ah-nold. It has zero lastability though, at least for me. No cool modes - just left ramp, right ramp, load the cannon... yawn!

#31 8 years ago

davewth said: Do you remember me saying i didn't remember anything about that game even though i used to play it back in the day. It must've been so bad that I repressed those memories! Yes. I could see how it could be popular in an arcade. The light show is impressive and of course it has Ah-nold. It has zero lastability though, at least for me. No cool modes - just left ramp, right ramp, load the cannon... yawn! There is a lot of joy to be had with the flow and the sounds and dots are great but it just lacks enough depth for a home game in my opinion unless it is in a big collection.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

Even though I thought it was a decent game Medieval Madness was a disappointment once I got it home. I just expected more for the price and the hype. Of course I don't think any pin could live up to that kind of hype. I tried to love it, but three months later it was gone.

I can understand that.

The worst for me was NGG. I hated it. It was gone within a week. The audio and the childish gophers ruined that game for me.

#33 8 years ago

Your crazy. NGG No Good Gofers is pinball greatness. 1997 Williams WPC95 = great quality. Amazing 3 flipper playfield. Rude charaters like Funhouse. Double inlanes. Pat L's last with williams. Spinning disk like whirlwind. Golf scoring theme is cool. Kids love it. Slam ramp is better then new transformed ramp/diverter. Stacked multiball. Hole in one shot is one of the greatest in pinball. Get one if you can.

#34 8 years ago

Your crazy. NGG No Good Gofers is pinball greatness. 1997 Williams WPC95 = great quality. Amazing 3 flipper playfield. Rude charaters like Funhouse. Double inlanes. Pat L's last with williams. Spinning disk like Whirlwind. Golf scoring theme is cool. Kids love it. Slam ramp is better then new transformed ramp/diverter. Stacked multiball. Hole in one shot is one of the greatest in pinball. Get one if you can.

I agree, NGG is a Fast paced pin.. What other pin will allow a ball to Jump a Ramp and let it fly thru the air to Try for a Hole-n-1 shot.. The distance was 17 '' .. Pat Lawlor baby !!!

100_0520.JPG

#35 8 years ago

Street Fighter

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 11.95
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 49.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside