(Topic ID: 41593)

Worst Pin made post 1990?

By rmancini

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shardian.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#113 11 years ago

Freddy is by far the worst. I wanted to like it sooo bad. I fixed one up nice for a guy that had some less than stellar "op repairs" done to it. I even wrote up a real nice repair guide to put new claws on the glove. I enjoyed fixing that glove way more than playing the pin.

Once I had it looking nice and playing like a new pin, I logged some time on it. Wow...what a turd. Everything about the play, sound, and dots was crap-tastic. Before I let it go I took the glass off and finger played it to see if it got better. Nope. Crappy through and through. Wasn't sad to see that waste of space leave. The guy I finished it up for even admitted he didn't really plan on playing it. It was just gonna be a show-piece in his Freddy collection for looks only. The only redeeming aspect of the game was the claw save. I did really like that feature. I found myself playing just to light the claw save and use it.

I'll also throw in my nod for TOTAN. I'm surprised there are others who feel this way. Played a very nice example of it and was shocked at how...sucky it was. The toys looked flat out silly and cheap. I really don't understand why it is so coveted. The only reason I can think it is is because people "say" it is coveted. I never hear anyone bragging about the play at all. All I ever hear is "it's an A-list game" or "it's so beautiful". I'll pass. I wouldn't exactly say it is truly the worst game, but the build up of hype around it made it sure seem like the worst game ever.

#117 11 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'd say you have an argument if you said CV, but TOTAN is verifiable as a great machine by many measures.

You just confirmed what I just said. It's a top notch game "because everyone says so", and because "it has alot going for it".

I'll tell you why I thought it was bad. It was clunky. Period. It was entirely forgettable as a game to me. A good game grabs me and won't let me go. A bad game grabs me and throws me far away and leaves a poo poo taste in my mouth for good measure. TOTAN was clunky and forgettable. I played it side by side with AFM, MB, and TAF. It did not belong in the group. Period.

#130 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

I actually kind of like WHO dunnit, but it does have some of the longest ball times in the world. I can play a three-ball for an hour on that machine.

I loved mine, but it definitely had its flaws. I'd have to stand there and explain the game to new people. When you have to read a plot synopsis to even be able to play the whodunnit aspect of the game (of which on-location players or those without a manual do not have access to), then yes it could be considered a stinker.
The elevator rejected shots constantly. I don't care what anyone says about programming, I guarantee you the machine I had payed out on the roullette wheel about 2% of the time. Literally, it payed out maybe 2-3 times tops while in my possession.
Sold it, miss it, but I'll admit most people didn't really care for it.

#142 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Haha...I love the historical descriptions of everyone in the manual...it's like 2 pages long!
Man you must of had a stinker machine for sure. I don't get that many rejected shots, and certainly more than 2% payout on the Roulette; Strange.

Oh yes, it's always interesting to try and explain that the burly guy is actually someone else, and that he's so and so's Dad, and that so and so wants to off so and so. And you HAVE to know this stuff because the game will call them by a completely different name in the clues. By then, the players eyes had glassed over and they were ready to move on to another game. No one wants to read a novella to play a 2 minute game. Only owners of the game can appreciate that aspect of it, which is why it was a massive failure to most folks who played it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bremerton, WA
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

2,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shardian.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-pin-made-post-1990?tu=shardian and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.