Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 300 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

crow (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.37.08 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.36.35 PM (resized).png
    IMG_0030 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0019 (resized).JPG
    CPR3 (resized).jpg
    aa (resized).jpg
    bb (resized).jpg
    CPR (resized).jpg
    PG1 (resized).jpg
    PG2 (resized).jpg
    GH2 (resized).jpg
    General Hospital (resized).jpg
    pingraffix (resized).jpg
    POTC Mermaid 4 (resized).JPG
    274fd90ca63e86b9e7b0fa951b0d75010a29d06f (resized).jpg

There are 300 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
    #1 2 years ago

What was the worst mod that you have ever seen? Do you have any pictures of it, or just a description? Did you actually buy it, and how much did you pay for it?

#3 2 years ago

Pinstadiums
    Toppers
    Powder coating

#4 2 years ago

Pukestadiums

CPR Toppers have to be at the top but I think only 1 person has ever bought one.

#5 2 years ago

• Audio mods
    • Pin headphones
    • LED Flippers
    • Shooter knobs!!
    • Postage stamp sized LED screens
    • Side blades
    • Playfield protectors
    • HD Glass or invisglass!!

#6 2 years ago

The Super Skill Shot Shop where he buys a bunch of $5 keychains and pins from Amazon and "fuses" them to shooter rods for like $60.

Edit - They're all $90-120 now. Ugh.

#7 2 years ago

Soon to be just another I hate mods thread. Oh boy.

#8 2 years ago

Pinstadiums are so ugly,

ANY doll or other mods covering inserts or playfield instructions.

#10 2 years ago

Pinstadiums
    Color GI
    Powder coating
    non factory toppers

#11 2 years ago

3D printed toys are a marked up ripoff. The layered print lines and light-as-air feel make them a gimmick product, at least try to fool us with glued in weights like they do with Beats headphones.

#12 2 years ago
    #13 2 years ago

Multiple action figures zipped tied all over a playfield

#14 2 years ago

Lunchbox toys velcroed around the playfield.
    LED strips added everywhere (scoops, trough, under cabinet lighting)
    Speaker Upgrades
    Using Colors in GI

#15 2 years ago

I'm on my way to the confession thread as I have a few of those listed here...

#16 2 years ago

To each their own. Let's not bash other people's livelihood.

#17 2 years ago

Why do some of you consider audio/speaker upgrades a bad mod? I'm not a mod guy but that's one of the few that holds real value to me. Audio upgrades are great!

#18 2 years ago

I totally agree on sound upgrades.

#19 2 years ago

Another Pinball Drama thread that only benefits fragile little egos.
    Sure there are some mods I dislike but I keep that to myself because it is useful to no one.

#20 2 years ago

Almost every mod on a Metallica

Snake ramp mod
    Crosses, spiders, and eyeballs added all over the place
    Belt buckle mod by the pops.
    Guitars glued on everywhere
    Power Blades
    Creeping death art blades
    Speaker panel artwork- the amp one
    People hacking spinners/rising cross
    UGLY painted Sparky’s….some look great and others just look horrible.
    Sparky helmet EL wire mod
    Shooter rod mod

Too many mods to list on just Metallica and many of them are just bad….especially pinstadiums and LED strips all over the place.

Modding is great if done tastefully and when it makes sense but some people don’t know the difference I guess. Their game so what ever floats their boat.

#21 2 years ago

There's enough negativity here and everywhere to fill all of the glasses.

Pinball is fun, why be shitty?

#22 2 years ago

My glass is half full.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Why do some of you consider audio/speaker upgrades a bad mod? I'm not a mod guy but that's one of the few that holds real value to me. Audio upgrades are great!

Sorry but I feel audio mods don't significantly change anything I just wire up my Sub & I'm happy. Now when it comes to movies I have a great surround sound system!! I actually feel & notice it in that application but not so much w/ pins... but I'm in the minority I love my pin stadiums pops the colors less glare & btw you can change brightness through app...

#24 2 years ago
    7A111DF2-9F04-4AE4-AB81-7691BE91140D (resized).png7A111DF2-9F04-4AE4-AB81-7691BE91140D (resized).png
    #25 2 years ago

No big deal Ace, we all like what we like. I just happen to totally prefer music pins so with those, sound upgrades are a huge plus.

motorhead-everything-louder_1_399e63c0fb982120baf2a177a09c51c9 (resized).jpgmotorhead-everything-louder_1_399e63c0fb982120baf2a177a09c51c9 (resized).jpg
    #26 2 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

There's enough negativity here and everywhere to fill all of the glasses.
    Pinball is fun, why be shitty?

LOL! Someone posted they had some powder coating done at a local shop in another thread and it was cheap. He got roasted for sharing a positive experience he had. It’s a wonder anyone shares or helps on here anymore for fear of getting roasted for anything you post. It’s OK to disagree or have a different opinion but it can be done without being derogatory to someone.

#27 2 years ago

Sorry but I feel audio mods don't significantly change anything I just wire up my Sub & I'm happy.

But,….isn’t that doing a audio mod?

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from playtwowin:

To each their own. Let's not bash other people's livelihood.

Right.

We only bash the livelihoods of everybody who works at Stern, JJP, Spooky, AP, CGC, etc. around here. Every day.

Beyond color DMDs and scoop protectors I find all mods terrible but nobody cares what I think. Cover your playfields in plastic junk if it floats your boat, the hobby is what you make of it.

#29 2 years ago

A 6" sub is a great upgrade on a Meteor with a blown speaker, just sayin'

#30 2 years ago

People saying sound upgrades are a waste have never tried pinwoofers. On any pin, it's a huge upgrade, not just the increase in volume , but the clarity is so much better. First thing I buy, they are here waiting for Rush.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

He got roasted for sharing a positive experience he had. It’s a wonder anyone shares or helps on here anymore for fear of getting roasted for anything you post.

When all the polite and reasonable voices quiet themselves, only the loud and obnoxious ones remain.

I think Pinside is still a diverse and resilient community but I've witnessed many hobby communities degenerate into a shit-pit because the assholes run all the nicer folks out of town.

To some people it's just an aesthetic though... like being edgy and critical of everything is a stylistic choice they make in how to present themselves to the world.

#32 2 years ago

Curious about all the pinstadium responses. Is it because of colors? The admittedly few games I have played with pinstadiums installed that had cool white seemed pretty great. It made everything easy to see and I didn't notice anything that detracted. Obviously color would be awful, but for just pure cool white they seemed great. What am I missing?

#33 2 years ago

Insert Pinside Moderator joke here

#34 2 years ago

Anything that makes a game less playable, with colored GI probably topping the list. Bonus points if you add black balls & black flipper bats with dark rubber so that I can't see one damn thing.

#35 2 years ago

I hate when people mod out the foot jam nut from a 3/8" with a 5/16" flat to flat to a 3/8" nut that has a 9/16" flat to flat. These people are the worst.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

LOL! Someone posted they had some powder coating done at a local shop in another thread and it was cheap. He got roasted for sharing a positive experience he had. It’s a wonder anyone shares or helps on here anymore for fear of getting roasted for anything you post. It’s OK to disagree or have a different opinion but it can be done without being derogatory to someone.

That was me! All good here. I like powder coating on certain games.

Invisiglass has to be the biggest waste of money out of all of them.......in my opinion. Just to be clear that is an opinion

I agree that we can disagree but there are some that feel that their way is the only way. Truly pitiful.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

Sorry but I feel audio mods don't significantly change anything I just wire up my Sub & I'm happy. Now when it comes to movies I have a great surround sound system!! I actually feel & notice it in that application but not so much w/ pins... but I'm in the minority I love my pin stadiums pops the colors less glare & btw you can change brightness through app...

Isn't wiring up a sub an upgrade?

#38 2 years ago

Oh flipper toppers. That's a new one thats horrible

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh flipper toppers. That's a new one thats horrible

... I love flipper toppers...

#40 2 years ago

If your flipper bats don't have stickers on top of them, do you even HAVE flippers?!

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

That was me! All good here. I like powder coating on certain games.
    Invisiglass has to be the biggest waste of money out of all of them.......in my opinion. Just to be clear that is an opinion
    I agree that we can disagree but there are some that feel that their way is the only way. Truly pitiful.

Yeah.. you just gotta ignorethe BS stuck in people’s teeth sometimes. They were ridiculous asking for pics….we all know what powder coating looks like so not needed. Then attacking you for not updating your game history….geez I haven’t updated mine in years.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

... I love flipper toppers...

You say that, but in reviewing your last 29 FS ads I can only find one machine with them! True it was on a TZ, maybe the worst I've ever seen

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/sataneatscheese/market/archived-games-listed

#43 2 years ago

120 dollar flipper fans(price) mine were 5$

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

Sorry but I feel audio mods don't significantly change anything I just wire up my Sub & I'm happy.

So you DO think audio mods significantly change stuff?

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

3D printed toys are a marked up ripoff. The layered print lines and light-as-air feel make them a gimmick product, at least try to fool us with glued in weights like they do with Beats headphones.

How often are you groping your mods after they're installed?

The weight makes absolutely zero difference other than in your imagination. Properly printed (which includes layer thickness and thickness of the part overall) parts are great. My light up Tron Recognizer bank mod would've never been possible without 3d printing, nobody made a translucent standup target carrier for those motorized 3 banks that Stern loved for a good long while. The *beta* one that Mezel printed me survived my household, a second owner's household, and has been in use at a VERY busy location for a long time. I didn't expect it to last to last 3 weeks. It's been *years*.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You say that, but in reviewing your last 29 FS ads I can only find one machine with them! True it was on a TZ, maybe the worst I've ever seen
    https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/sataneatscheese/market/archived-games-listed

I only put them on my keepers... TZ came with it.

1643672433676810988827696913522 (resized).jpg1643672433676810988827696913522 (resized).jpg16436724452851270161414630250281 (resized).jpg16436724452851270161414630250281 (resized).jpg16436724576173335118594291036691 (resized).jpg16436724576173335118594291036691 (resized).jpg
    #47 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

So you DO think audio mods significantly change stuff?

I found that the factory cabinet woofer speakers just don't produce enough bass. They simply are too small of a magnet which directly influences how much air the cone can move. As far back as Funhouse 1990, and up through modern Sterns, they all seem to sound a click or two better with a simple cabinet replacement of the 8-inch speaker. The rest of modding of your speakers, adding external subs, backbox speakers, amplifiers, etc is all based on what you are trying to do and personal taste. I don't like adding anything external to a pinball machine, so it limits me to in-cabinet 'pin for pin' mods.

#48 2 years ago

This is the worst mod I've ever done to a pin. Too lazy to take the buttons off to remove. But the cabinet is protected from greasy kid fingers!

16436725077893404965396102678927 (resized).jpg16436725077893404965396102678927 (resized).jpg
    #49 2 years ago

Not a big fan of those flasher mods like the barbasol can for JP or the duff can for simpsons. Looks kind of cheapy.

I also hate any mods that are permanent.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

I found that the factory cabinet woofer speakers just don't produce enough bass. They simply are too small of a magnet which directly influences how much air the cone can move. As far back as Funhouse 1990, and up through modern Sterns, they all seem to sound a click or two better with a simple cabinet replacement of the 8-inch speaker. The rest of modding of your speakers, adding external subs, backbox speakers, amplifiers, etc is all based on what you are trying to do and personal taste. I don't like adding anything external to a pinball machine, so it limits me to in-cabinet 'pin for pin' mods.

It's a must-have for music pins, IMO. The sound is incredible.

There are 300 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-mod-ever?hl=nihonmasa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.