Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 300 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

crow (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.37.08 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.36.35 PM (resized).png
    IMG_0030 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0019 (resized).JPG
    CPR3 (resized).jpg
    aa (resized).jpg
    bb (resized).jpg
    CPR (resized).jpg
    PG1 (resized).jpg
    PG2 (resized).jpg
    GH2 (resized).jpg
    General Hospital (resized).jpg
    pingraffix (resized).jpg
    POTC Mermaid 4 (resized).JPG
    274fd90ca63e86b9e7b0fa951b0d75010a29d06f (resized).jpg
    There are 300 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
    #251 2 years ago
    Quoted from joeraptor2003:

Just got to understand that someone like me and other mod makers who pretty much spend their lives ...it gets a little old to hear over and over.

In that case, probably best for your sanity to avoid threads like this.

#252 2 years ago

Tell you what... I 'll do even better...PM your address and I'll send you a new set.

Keep them. I'd rather you defend your reputation by posting a picture of them here yourself... that is assuming you fixed the "quality".

#253 2 years ago

Wow. Must have sold the Simpsons
    Joe is a great guy to deal with, and I have pinblades or power blades on almost all of my games. Snake mod for Met, coffin decal, etc. I have never received a bad product from him and have always seen him make things right (like he just tried to do).
    I think people may get a little carried away on the internet and forget that these mod makers are real love people. I've met and become friends with people at pinball shows and realize that of course any business is going to make mistakes. The important thing is making it right.
    Seeing how much work and passion goes into these things makes me appreciate Joe and others. I know I certainly am not capable of running out to my garage and whipping up a set of power blades, so I'm grateful for those that can.

#254 2 years ago

I will also have to defend Pingraffix and joe, joe has a big heart , and even bigger love for pinball, i think hes got 10+ years now, out of 40+ machines in my collection at least 1/2 have his mods, i also agree with him, if you want to bash others that try to provide a product for our pinball machines, show us what you got? Easy to complain, and be negative, why not give an opinion that’s positive and may help others that have our love for pinball create something more spectacular.

#255 2 years ago

I had two opportunities to buy pinball companies that create mods (they're still around, but owned by other companies). The attitude of some here on Pinside is what made me ultimately decide to pass. At my age, I couldn't imagine dealing with grown men crying about things that weren't up to their perceived standards of quality. I applaud everyone who actually puts up with that shit with a smile. I certainly couldn't do it.

PS - I just bought a bunch of mods. One that I received wasn't what I was expecting. But I realized it was better than no mod at all, and I can always choose to send it back or not install it.

#256 2 years ago
    Quoted from Colehvac1:

i also agree with him, if you want to bash others that try to provide a product for our pinball machines, show us what you got? Easy to complain, and be negative, why not give an opinion that’s positive and may help others that have our love for pinball create something more spectacular.

There are hundreds of pro-mod threads. Let us have this one.

#257 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

Yes, Stern used/uses figures on their playfields. See also Austin Powers. Iron maiden, Transformers, Elvis, the giant Grogu on Mandelorian, etc.
    I appreciate the effort this guy made in wiring the blaster into the pop bumper so it flashes, but the scale is so off and it is right next to the death star out in space, so it doesn't make sense.[quoted image][quoted image]

Ha thanks, to be fair the tie fighter in front of the death star is also grossly out of scale as is the millenium falcon. Honestly, I think scale is relative in pinball, and that stormtrooper didn't last long as I replaced him with an emporer with blue leds under his lightning and again, hooked up to the pops flasher. You cant even see the pops in that game. Now when they go off I see them with emporer lightning!

#258 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

There are hundreds of pro-mod threads. Let us have this one.

Why cant they all be pro-mods, i had a problem with a mod, i contacted the mod maker, I didn’t come here to bitch him out, instead i kept it private

#259 2 years ago

Mods are awesome. There is nothing more boring than ordinary. Adding your own creative ideas to your machine make it unique and less ordinary. Just make sure they can be removed easily when it comes time to selling. Not everyone will share your 'vision'.

#260 2 years ago

Just got to understand that someone like me and other mod makers who pretty much spend their lives ...it gets a little old to hear over and over. ...

I get it, sometimes you gotta snap back; all fair to me.

Matter of fact if we met at a show I would probably have a beer with ya.. That's all I was just trying to convey.

I'll do you 11 better and we can drink all night! I might piss on your couch thou. I'm ready to tackle some GC too if only I could see the PF hardy har!

Quoted from Colehvac1:

...if you want to bash others that try to provide a product for our pinball machines, show us what you got?

I don't even know what this means You want me to make something "better" of things I don't care for?
    You want me to contact the mod maker and tell him his mods can bet better and I don't care for them? Seems like, way more rude.

#261 2 years ago

Satan dude... you know you have a wicked hard on for me.... I really don't know why honestly. If you met me in person you would see I am pretty open minded and very approachable.
    But if you want to go there...
    The TSPP Blades were removed for a period of time.
    As I stated before..we don't make them. We get them from another source.
    After taking them down...folks kept asking me for them..So I revamped them a bit. I also spent $65,000 on a new printer and laminating system. I also am using a new formula for my materials that allows the Blades to be be less sticky so they don't damage your cabinet when you wish to take them off. Also improved color accuracy and the new printer uses 10 colors instead of 4 color CMYK. Also the new laminate we use allows the blades to flex rather than tear. Making them more resilient.
    I have done some incredible things for this hobby right from my home studio that the all pinball these million dollar companies have copied and now integrate or try to in their games that they sell to the general public.
    The TSPP blades are now far better than what they were originally. To answer your original question .
    Thanks for the nomination!
    BTW have you seen the PinGraffix Stadium Topper? It also has been nominated ..for a TWIPY.

Making mods is not "doing incredible things for the hobby"

#262 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballizfun:

I disagree. My Tron would've looked like crap without modders stepping in and blinging it out. And Joe does make some incredible mods for games; my AFM light-up side blades are a perfect example, as is the light up armor for my SWLE. Thank God for these guys...they bring a whole new level of fun to an already addictive hobby.

#263 2 years ago

Satan dude... you know you have a wicked hard on for me.... I really don't know why honestly. If you met me in person you would see I am pretty open minded and very approachable.
    But if you want to go there...
    The TSPP Blades were removed for a period of time.
    As I stated before..we don't make them. We get them from another source.
    After taking them down...folks kept asking me for them..So I revamped them a bit. I also spent $65,000 on a new printer and laminating system. I also am using a new formula for my materials that allows the Blades to be be less sticky so they don't damage your cabinet when you wish to take them off. Also improved color accuracy and the new printer uses 10 colors instead of 4 color CMYK. Also the new laminate we use allows the blades to flex rather than tear. Making them more resilient.
    I have done some incredible things for this hobby right from my home studio that the all pinball these million dollar companies have copied and now integrate or try to in their games that they sell to the general public.
    The TSPP blades are now far better than what they were originally. To answer your original question .
    Thanks for the nomination!
    BTW have you seen the PinGraffix Stadium Topper? It also has been nominated ..for a TWIPY.

I have to admit, you tee'd it up for him. This is a thread mod makers should avoid. You don't see the Pinstadium guy commenting and his mod is probably the number one bashed mod. I guess he's too busy cashing checks.

#264 2 years ago
    Quoted from lothian:

Perzactly.
    Most (probably every) webboard software (i.e., online forums, comments sections, etc) provide a global toggle that, when enabled, permit an OP to delete the posts of others within the thread they created. Hardly any forum admins enable this feature, however. This needs to be enabled in PinSide.

That's a bad idea. All you'll do is create a bunch of OP dictators.

#265 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I disagree. My Tron would've looked like crap without modders stepping in and blinging it out.

My turn to disagree. Tron looked great out the box. Yours probably looked like the Disney gift shop when you were done with it.

#266 2 years ago

lol

mod makers have some thin skin

#267 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballizfun:

this is like thinking making a spoiler for a honda civic is important to the automobile industry

#268 2 years ago

I am enjoying this thread.

#269 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

My turn to disagree. Tron looked great out the box. Yours probably looked like the Disney gift shop when you were done with it.

The buyer didn't think so.

#270 2 years ago

Tell you what... I 'll do even better...PM your address and I'll send you a new set.

I'll take one for the team here..... Send me a free set of Black Knight SoR and I'll be happy to take a closeup of the quality and post the results here

#271 2 years ago
    Quoted from lothian:

Most (probably every) webboard software (i.e., online forums, comments sections, etc) provide a global toggle that, when enabled, permit an OP to delete the posts of others within the thread they created.

In a website that praises dumb posts, this is really at the bottom.

#272 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

In a website that praises dumb posts, this is really at the bottom.

I'm shocked that somebody would not only feel that was a good idea, but they would actually say it out loud. Embarrassing and shameful

#273 2 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I'll take one for the team here..... Send me a free set of Black Knight SoR and I'll be happy to take a closeup of the quality and post the results here

I'm sure the quality on Pingraffix Black Knight blades and most others are excellent. He just talked about how great the new printing equipment he has is and I'm sure those Black Knight blades would be made with it. But he glossed over that he still outsources the printing of the Simpsons blades in the above post... despite his promise to remove them from his store... Thats why he can't put a photo of his Simpsons blades here... he doesn't make them and he doesn't have them. All he has to do is put a photo of his new superior Simpsons blades here to make me eat crow. But he deflected above and won't post them here. Until then, Pingraffix Simpsons blades will be my vote for worst mod ever.

#274 2 years ago

I'd also like to nominate Classic Arcade Overlays for worst mod (or at least a runner up). Check out the overlay with missing art, colors, and more! You can't see the quality until after it is applied and... surprise! no refunds without shipping back the original... that you just sanded down your playfield to bare wood to even see. I ended up going to the Licensor to apply pressure to get my money back.

CPR (resized).jpgCPR (resized).jpg
    #275 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I'd also like to nominate Classic Arcade Overlays for worst mod (or at least a runner up). Check out the overlay with missing art, colors, and more! You can't see the quality until after it is applied and... surprise! no refunds without shipping back the original... that you just sanded down your playfield to bare wood to even see. I ended up going to the Licensor to apply pressure to get my money back.
    [quoted image]

You’re being too picky, someone will make a mod that adds the missing art

#276 2 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

You’re being too picky, someone will make a mod that adds the missing art

You can't imagine the look on my face after stripping down the top side of an AFM... sanding it down... and then applying the decal to see no Brandenburg gate, no big ben, no two color reds, misaligned holes. Classic Arcade Overlays from Ebay folks! Where is my Statue of Liberty!

Here is the story https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-overlay-disapointed-pics-inside#post-5811500

Turned into my first playfield swap though... That was an educational experience!

aa (resized).jpgaa (resized).jpgbb (resized).jpgbb (resized).jpg
    #277 2 years ago

I'd also like to nominate Classic Arcade Overlays for worst mod (or at least a runner up)....

Finally I think everyone can agree on that one. Long known for ripping people off. Def one of the bad ones in a sea of good.

#278 2 years ago

You can't imagine the look on my face after stripping down the top side of an AFM... sanding it down... and then applying the decal to see no Brandenburg gate, no big ben, no two color reds, misaligned holes. Classic Arcade Overlays from Ebay folks! Where is my Statue of Liberty!
    Here is the story https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-overlay-disapointed-pics-inside#post-5811500
    Turned into my first playfield swap though... That was an educational experience!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

For those of you not super familiar with Attack From Mars. This is what it is supposed to look like. This is a CPR Playfield. This particular example had a small printing error (and a huge discount) but even still look at the difference in quality.

Take careful note of the center inserts and the art behind it like the Statue of Liberty, Eifel Tower, and Tower or Pisa.

Bonus points to the nerd that can spot the printing error in this example.

The CPR playfield is a good mod that has saved many pins.

CPR3 (resized).jpgCPR3 (resized).jpg
    #279 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Straight out of the Disney gift shop. Not many Tron pros that look like this.

IMG_0019 (resized).JPGIMG_0019 (resized).JPGIMG_0030 (resized).JPGIMG_0030 (resized).JPG
    #280 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Straight out of the Disney gift shop. Not many Tron pros that look like this. [quoted image][quoted image]

But I like the Disney gift shop!

#281 2 years ago

For those of you not super familiar with Attack From Mars. This is what it is supposed to look like. This is a CPR Playfield. This particular example had a small printing error (and a huge discount) but even still look at the difference in quality.
    Take careful note of the center inserts and the art behind it like the Statue of Liberty, Eifel Tower, and Tower or Pisa.
    Bonus points to the nerd that can spot the printing error in this example.
    The CPR playfield is a good mod that has saved many pins.
    [quoted image]

Wrong red bordering the inserts?

#282 2 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Wrong red bordering the inserts?

Look at the art behind "USA" in the overlay and then look at it in the correct CPR playfield. Look at the "Tractor Beam" insert to the right of "USA". Look at the colors surrounding the insert between the two. Look at the correct red on the CPR playfield and then look at the orange that is supposed to be red in the overlay. Look at the skin tone on the lady between the flippers.

Please note that the Statue of Liberty is completely missing from the overlay.

#283 2 years ago
    Quoted from Colehvac1:

I will also have to defend Pingraffix and joe, joe has a big heart , and even bigger love for pinball, i think hes got 10+ years now, out of 40+ machines in my collection at least 1/2 have his mods, i also agree with him, if you want to bash others that try to provide a product for our pinball machines, show us what you got? Easy to complain, and be negative, why not give an opinion that’s positive and may help others that have our love for pinball create something more spectacular.

Agreed, Joe is a stand up guy who I have had nothing but great experiences with. Sounds more like people posting here dont like mods... dont like em...don't buy em.. why does it need to be discussed?

#284 2 years ago

Appreciate all the kind words and love fellas thank you. You know who you are.
    Yes, I probably should have stayed out of this thread for sure. Without a doubt. Going forward I will be hitting the ignore button on this one.
    The Law ..I'm sorry I came in here punching...you seem like a legit guy. Please stop by our booth and any of the shows. Beers are on me.
    Sat-n dude..please come and stop by out booth at Allentown to see the blades in person. But something tells me you will never be happy.
    BTW..I now make them in house and also thanks for the boost in web traffic yesterday. So please keep bashing away.
    I also make all of Jersey Jack Factory Art Blades for Wizard of Oz, Dialed in and Guns N Roses... soon their next title.
    Guess my quality isn't that great huh???
    Have a nice day.
    Joe

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.36.35 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.36.35 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.37.08 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.37.08 PM (resized).png
    #285 2 years ago

Appreciate all the kind words and love fellas thank you. You know who you are.
    Yes, I probably should have stayed out of this thread for sure. Without a doubt. Going forward I will be hitting the ignore button on this one.
    The Law ..I'm sorry I came in here punching...you seem like a legit guy. Please stop by our booth and any of the shows. Beers are on me.
    Sat-n dude..please come and stop by out booth at Allentown to see the blades in person. But something tells me you will never be happy.
    BTW..I now make them in house and also thanks for the boost in web traffic yesterday. So please keep bashing away.
    I also make all of Jersey Jack Factory Art Blades for Wizard of Oz, Dialed in and Guns N Roses... soon their next title.
    Guess my quality isn't that great huh???
    Have a nice day.
    Joe
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I'd feel better if it was a picture of the actual blade, but I'll take it.

As promised, I am eating crow. If they are delivered to the customer like that, then you have addressed the issue.

crow (resized).jpgcrow (resized).jpg
    #286 2 years ago

Look at the art behind "USA" in the overlay and then look at it in the correct CPR playfield. Look at the "Tractor Beam" insert to the right of "USA". Look at the colors surrounding the insert between the two. Look at the correct red on the CPR playfield and then look at the orange that is supposed to be red in the overlay. Look at the skin tone on the lady between the flippers.
    Please note that the Statue of Liberty is completely missing from the overlay.

I meant for the CPR printing error. Trying to find whatever you're referring to.

#287 2 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I meant for the CPR printing error. Trying to find whatever you're referring to.

SPOILER- Look underneath all of the jackpots... One of these is not like the others... which made these go at a discount as printing errors. Yep... second from the right.

#288 2 years ago
    Quoted from HarryReimer:

why does it need to be discussed?

…because it’s a forum. That is literally the purpose, to discuss.

If people like a mod they will buy it, if they don’t, they won’t. It’s unlikely anything said here is going to change hearts and minds, aside from calling out the really shoddy products, which is an actual service to the community.

#289 2 years ago

No worries Joe! I'll make sure to if I'm around.

#290 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

…because it’s a forum. That is literally the purpose, to discuss.
    If people like a mod they will buy it, if they don’t, they won’t. It’s unlikely anything said here is going to change hearts and minds, aside from calling out the really shoddy products, which is an actual service to the community.

I suppose you are correct, I guess it's just how I live.. I generally avoid negativity...

#291 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Not many Tron pros that look like this.

Mercifully.

#293 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Straight out of the Disney gift shop. Not many Tron pros that look like this. [quoted image][quoted image]

I would have added the Tron chicks alternate translite as well, but that's a bitchin' looking game!

#294 2 years ago

I have always found a relationship between the number of mods someone has on the game to how well/often they play pinball.

Just me? I dont know anyone who is a good/tourney type player who has mods on any game.

Some people play em and some people use them like a dress up doll I guess?

Always enjoy for the for sale ads that say the game has 105 plays and 4k in mods.

#295 2 years ago

Curious if people consider some mods more useful like those fans under a playfield?
    Never tried them because I haven’t experienced much flipper fade.

#296 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Curious if people consider some mods more useful like those fans under a playfield?
    Never tried them because I haven’t experienced much flipper fade.

Never had Flipper fade, and never had a super loud fan that needed quieting. I've always wondered if any of it's true or not. Guess I just have...'good electricity?'

#297 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Never had Flipper fade, and never had a super loud fan that needed quieting. I've always wondered if any of it's true or not. Guess I just have...'good electricity?'

The power supply fans on Stern spike 2 games are a little noisy in a home environment

#298 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

The power supply fans on Stern spike 2 games are a little noisy in a home environment

So I've been told but never really noticed. Just lucky so far!

#299 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

I have this wonderful little fan from PinMonk, that is ready to be installed because my power supply sounds like a jet engine.

I get the power supply out, kind of step back from the "remove this - go to jail" blah blah blah sticker from Stern, and reinstall it less the fan. I'll wait - a few more months until the machine drops out of warranty and then, yep, install it. Maybe I am being a chicken, but... I did install the flipper fans and they are amazing.

#300 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Just me? I don't know anyone who is a good/tourney type player who has mods on any game.

Definitely not just you! I can only think of one glaring exception: JPW (if you know, you know). When I first played at his house, I was surprised to see mods all over the place.

There are 300 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-mod-ever/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.