Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 300 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

crow (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.37.08 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.36.35 PM (resized).png
    IMG_0030 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0019 (resized).JPG
    CPR3 (resized).jpg
    aa (resized).jpg
    bb (resized).jpg
    CPR (resized).jpg
    PG1 (resized).jpg
    PG2 (resized).jpg
    GH2 (resized).jpg
    General Hospital (resized).jpg
    pingraffix (resized).jpg
    POTC Mermaid 4 (resized).JPG
    274fd90ca63e86b9e7b0fa951b0d75010a29d06f (resized).jpg
    There are 300 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
    #151 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Don't give Vince any more ideas.
    [quoted image]

Did Vince give a BSD this treatment? I have fond memories of a Dracula at a convention with a sub like that.

#152 2 years ago

Pick a mod, any mod!!

Screenshot_20220202-125621-899 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220202-125621-899 (resized).png
    #154 2 years ago

I'm generally a do whatever you want to your game kind of guy, but this will never not make me laugh.

ce5386f99967aa4ceec5aa5f7314fb12264acc8d (resized).jpgce5386f99967aa4ceec5aa5f7314fb12264acc8d (resized).jpg

#155 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Never heard of you. And that's a great thing when it comes to a Moderator.

I don't even know who he is, and I live like 20 miles away from him.

#156 2 years ago
    Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

I'm generally a do whatever you want to your game kind of guy, but this will never not make me laugh.
    [quoted image]

Ah, but did you ever see the GIANT METAL ships that FUN put back on a STTNG back in the day? They're *hilariously* bad, and awesome. I sniped one off ebay for 20 bucks. I'll take a pic when I get home and post it here.

#157 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Speaking of worst mods, I just added the worst one for Big Hurt.
    Only cost me $.99 at Goodwill, so it’s cheap AND awful. I present to you the 1995 starting lineup edition, Frank Thomas action figure Topper!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

That deserves obnoxious lighting

#158 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

I used to have a Stern TMNT. The owners thread on there is chalked full of terrible "Mods". Playfields just littered with useless junk that doesn't even match the artwork of the game.
    You want old toys on your playfield, they have them...
    [quoted image]
    Trapping a ball for all eternity is a feature...[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
    Doesn't fit? Who cares![quoted image]
    Home made toppers, check...
    [quoted image]
    I think the guy in the middle is drunk, but seems to be enjoying himself[quoted image]
    You want Funko crap? They'll bring the Funko crap...HARD!
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hoarders TMNT edition

#159 2 years ago

All the crappy junk people cram in The Getaway. The club thread is basically a venue for the people who make that crap to push it.

And Pinstadiums, flipper toppers, coin reject covers?, toppers, shooter knobs, any kind of car or action figure. It's all junk to me.

#160 2 years ago

I like the $100+ 3D-printed mods that get broken by air balls … and then the guy buys the same mod again to fix it.

Hello Tesla towers

#162 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

Worst mod..those colored plastics you put behind ' pro', ' premium'. They are not even noticible.

Ughhh.. bought one and really regretted it the second I put it on. Definitely the worst "mod" I ever attempted.

#163 2 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Did Vince give a BSD this treatment?

As far as I know he just did Mousin' Around and Bride of Pinbot.

#164 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

I’m a fan of Colored Cabinet Protectors
    [quoted image]

The problem is, this design works only as a leg protector (pointless), not as cabinet protector.
    A perfect way to hide the old decal damage, then create a new one.

#165 2 years ago
    Quoted from Davi:

The problem is, this design works only as a leg protector (pointless), not as cabinet protector.
    A perfect way to hide the old decal damage, then create a new one.

Jajajajaz,

Guess you’re not gonna like my LED lite coin returns.

#166 2 years ago

Any mod that connects to a machine with alligator clips is a bad idea.
    Not that the mod itself is bad, but alligator clips can move when the machine is moved or vibrates.
    I have seen some mods at various locations with alligator clips for connections and it makes me nervous that people would actually use it that way on a permanent basis.
    All it takes is one little short on a circuit and you have an issue that could be more than just a fuse.
    Just my friendly advice.

#167 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

Not that the mod itself is bad, but alligator clips can move when the machine is moved or vibrates.
    I have seen some mods at various locations with alligator clips for connections and it makes me nervous that people would actually use it that way on a permanent basis.
    All it takes is one little short on a circuit and you have an issue that could be more than just a fuse.
    Just my friendly advice.

Even subwoofer connections is bad idea?

#168 2 years ago
    Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Its your machine and you can use it any way you want. I would recommend that you make permanent solder connections to an appropriate lug or use crimp lugs that will not cause any issues later on. Alligator clips are for testing or temporary connections, not a permanent installation. Just my 2 cents.

#169 2 years ago
    Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Quoted from Dent00:

Its your machine and you can use it any way you want. I would recommend that you make permanent solder connections to an appropriate lug or use crimp lugs that will not cause any issues later on. Alligator clips are for testing or temporary connections, not a permanent installation. Just my 2 cents.

I mean, if the alligator clip has a tight grip, then it's probably unlikely to come loose during normal gameplay. If I was going to leave an alligator clip on, then what I would do is check to see where it would be likely to fall if it came loose. Depending on where the clip is, it might just fall free and hang free in the cabinet, which isn't too much of a problem. Likewise, if it's attached to the sub, then it's not going come loose and touch anything it shouldn't, it'll just lie down in the bottom of the cab. But if it's stuffed over the wire loom, or a bunch of connections, then maybe you've got the potential for a problem.

#170 2 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

I mean, if the alligator clip has a tight grip, then it's probably unlikely to come loose during normal gameplay. If I was going to leave an alligator clip on, then what I would do is check to see where it would be likely to fall if it came loose. Depending on where the clip is, it might just fall free and hang free in the cabinet, which isn't too much of a problem. Likewise, if it's attached to the sub, then it's not going come loose and touch anything it shouldn't, it'll just lie down in the bottom of the cab. But if it's stuffed over the wire loom, or a bunch of connections, then maybe you've got the potential for a problem.

Any wire or alligator clip that comes loose and moves around inside the machine with voltage on it, has the potential to cause issues.
    It might also be a "shocking" experience at some point for someone.

#171 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

Just my friendly advice.

I agree they are not the best but not too many other options. End users prefer to not have to solder to anything or use those awful vampire clips that damage existing wires. A good thing to do when using a gator clip is to use a little bit of heat shrink tubing that only goes over the jaw tips. When this is shrunk the gator mouth is kept closed way tighter.

#172 2 years ago

The "Tilt Cam" mod on the 9K Stranger Things Pro.

Link to the ad.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-stranger-things-pro-loaded-topper

#173 2 years ago
    Quoted from alex_m:

The "Tilt Cam" mod on the 9K Stranger Things Pro.

I have no words

#174 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

Any wire or alligator clip that comes loose and moves around inside the machine with voltage on it, has the potential to cause issues.
    It might also be a "shocking" experience at some point for someone.

Happened to me. Had a Stern delivered that had mods and the clip shifted on a lamp in transit and took a node board out.

Speakers yes, anything else and I'm leery.

#175 2 years ago

Its like having a window on the back of your toilet so you can watch the flapper when you flush

#176 2 years ago

Translite also:

Flintstonexs translite (resized).jpgFlintstonexs translite (resized).jpg
    #177 2 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Its like having a window on the back of your toilet so you can watch the flapper when you flush

LOL!!!!!

#178 2 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

I mean, if the alligator clip has a tight grip, then it's probably unlikely to come loose during normal gameplay. If I was going to leave an alligator clip on, then what I would do is check to see where it would be likely to fall if it came loose. Depending on where the clip is, it might just fall free and hang free in the cabinet, which isn't too much of a problem.....

Or, just learn how to fucking solder something for 30 seconds like a grown up pinball owner. Which is literally the same amount of time spent calculating the distance of clips to wire looms etc.

Sheesh.

#179 2 years ago
    Quoted from chris_p:

Translite also: [quoted image]

Love that translite! (Thank you Mr68!)

Funny thing is ... I have yet to have a single person notice it on my Flintstones.

#180 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Or, just learn how to fucking solder something for 30 seconds like a grown up pinball owner. Which is literally the same amount of time spent calculating the distance of clips to wire looms etc.
    Sheesh.

LOL. Who shit in your cornflakes!

But yes, certainly soldering connections is better than clipping them for permanent use. But clips work just fine for short term use.

#181 2 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

LOL. Who shit in your cornflakes!

Posters that have a "Pinball Repair" business that praise Alligator Clips
    ZING!

#182 2 years ago

Actually kind of interesting to me. Wouldn’t spend the time doing it but in a tournament type setting you could see when the bob has settled down after the last player.

#183 2 years ago

Hologram toppers. Just plain ugly looking.

#184 2 years ago

Clips are just fine...until it twists and shorts across a switch matrix or node board. To the rest of the world, they are lazy hacks. If you want it removable, learn to solder and buy some Molex connectors and a crimper. Some people won't bat an eye at having a $100,000 pinball collection and then scoff at having to spend $50 on tools.

#185 2 years ago

I think it's easier for me to list the mod's I do like vs the mod's I don't like and it's a short list. Which isn't to say I haven't tried other things and been pleased with the results, I just wouldn't do them again, but as a general rule of thumb these are the mods I support.

1. ColorDMD
    2. Shaker motor
    3. Cliffy protectors

The end.

#186 2 years ago
    Quoted from chris_p:

Translite also:
    [quoted image]

This alternative transllite is comparable to The Shadow alternative , which is way better than the original and should go in good mods tread!

#187 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

This alternative transllite is comparable to The Shadow alternative , which is way better than the original and should go in good mods tread!

uhhh no. It doesn't match the art of the game at all. I don't really have an issue with the bj's being performed although its tacky and I personally wouldn't want it on my game, but its more that all the other art is clearly movie based, not about the cartoon. Bad look. And yes, I know people put stickers in the middle to make it more cartoon style but I think thats dumb too

#188 2 years ago

Said it 100 times; if you don't have Alec's smug ass face smirking you down you're doing it wrong.

The whole real people to cartoon shit is weird. Less so with shadow, but it paved the way for TWD & GOT. uff

#189 2 years ago

LEDOCD is one of MY personal favorite mods for pinball.
    It takes 'old & busted' and makes it the 'new hotness' all from a single pcb.

#190 2 years ago

I love or hate art blades.

Some do a great job of tying the playfield in with the whole cabinet art package and look fantastic.

Some just look like awful crap (much of the 3rd party stuff)

#191 2 years ago

Anybody who adorns their machines (inside and/or out) with funko pops or other tacky dolls.

#192 2 years ago
    Quoted from chris_p:

Translite also:
    [quoted image]

Gazoo boner & Naked chick Congo are the only acceptable alt trans.

#193 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Gazoo boner & Naked chick Congo are the only acceptable alt trans.

Screenshot_20220203-112551-151 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220203-112551-151 (resized).png
    #194 2 years ago

Do the absolutely haneous CPR conversion kits count here?

#195 2 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Do the absolutely haneous CPR conversion kits count here?

YES!

#196 2 years ago

my vote is….

8B4CE794-8051-4DEB-A943-8C2BFB3649AC (resized).png8B4CE794-8051-4DEB-A943-8C2BFB3649AC (resized).pngB8BF847D-018B-4393-9023-215653650928 (resized).pngB8BF847D-018B-4393-9023-215653650928 (resized).png
    #197 2 years ago
    Quoted from Charliew65:

my vote is….
    [quoted image][quoted image]

#198 2 years ago

Who buys this crap?

CF74D245-C379-4D88-8244-CC0293358822 (resized).jpegCF74D245-C379-4D88-8244-CC0293358822 (resized).jpeg
    #199 2 years ago

It’s so strange to me how people care how others enjoy their games…..

There are 300 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-mod-ever/page/4?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.