Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 300 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

crow (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.37.08 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.36.35 PM (resized).png
    IMG_0030 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0019 (resized).JPG
    CPR3 (resized).jpg
    aa (resized).jpg
    bb (resized).jpg
    CPR (resized).jpg
    PG1 (resized).jpg
    PG2 (resized).jpg
    GH2 (resized).jpg
    General Hospital (resized).jpg
    pingraffix (resized).jpg
    POTC Mermaid 4 (resized).JPG
    274fd90ca63e86b9e7b0fa951b0d75010a29d06f (resized).jpg
    There are 300 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 2 years ago
    Quoted from chris_p:

One wife's TRASH is another guy's TREASURE. This I thought was AWESOME. My wife votes this as the WORST MOD EVER:[quoted image]

Wow. That's awful. Just...why?

#102 2 years ago
    Quoted from chris_p:

One wife's TRASH is another guy's TREASURE. This I thought was AWESOME. My wife votes this as the WORST MOD EVER:[quoted image]

Needs an orange background. The pink doesn't work.

#103 2 years ago

Barney Can’t reach that.

#104 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

LED Bulbs, worse Mod Ever.

You be trolling! Except in rare cases, I despise incandescent.

I'd agree most "alternate translites" are bad, very few transcend the originals. But some do.

#105 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

You be trolling! Except in rare cases, I despise incandescent.
    I'd agree most "alternate translites" are bad, very few transcend the originals. But some do.

The Shadow alt translite is the first that comes to mind

#106 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

This is what he was saying, with a picture! It was a funny reference. Don’t get personally offended on behalf of people with disabilities for no reason. It’s self-righteous and pompous.
    The worst mods are the ones that people try to tell you are definitely worth an extra 4 grand for their goofy toys!

No idea how this got ME involved, considered just letting it go but dumb ol' me just MIGHT MIGHT actually be RILLY in the WRONG here, and I think MAYBE I know why. Looks like maybe you guys were talking about some OTHER thread. What I read, here:

Quoted from PoMC:

That Forceflow guy? Only one I can think of off the top of my head.

I THOUGHT was in reference to the title of THIS thread, as it shows up on the home page: Worst mod ever

The REASON I found the above response to be pretty hilarious, is that <implied, maybe wrong> I ALSO read the title as "Worst Moderator Ever" and immediately thought to post some response that ends me being kick-banned 4 life.

I don't usually buy those things that were ACTUALLY being referred to by the OP, which was obvious when I opened the thread and read it.

Now Daditude's response SEEMED to reinforce my interpretation. So hahaha goes me, when I came in here to post the Reprehensible Flintstones and saw the reference to MODERATOR Force Flow. Who from the time I spent here is a good, kind, KNOWLEDGEABLE person with integrity, as ALSO are you Mr Isochronic_Frost.

So I'm not gonna try to delve into whatever powder coated maelstrom generated this comment, but I assure you that disabled people are not INVOLVED here and I am not offended on behalf of them. Nor was I referencing that other thread, tho I see that it PROBABLY read that way. And I honestly apologize for whatever the hell was implied by what I said. And it is right and just of you to POINT OUT such a world-view, tho I promise to you that I am NOT THAT GUY.

TL;DR - I am all WTF and was just making a joke about moderators, probably fucked up the context, and am sorry for being dumb

#107 2 years ago

Some Pins look good with them. They need to make a cheaper only white set. Nothing fancy, no Wi-Fi or app. Cheap.

#108 2 years ago

There is a whole thread dedicated to making your own light strips for under $20. They work well if they are your thing.

#109 2 years ago

Yup one of the few.

#110 2 years ago

The worst mods ever are action figures.

#111 2 years ago
    Quoted from chris_p:

No idea how this got ME involved, considered just letting it go but dumb ol' me just MIGHT MIGHT actually be RILLY in the WRONG here, and I think MAYBE I know why. Looks like maybe you guys were talking about some OTHER thread. What I read, here:

I THOUGHT was in reference to the title of THIS thread, as it shows up on the home page: Worst mod ever
    The REASON I found the above response to be pretty hilarious, is that <implied, maybe wrong> I ALSO read the title as "Worst Moderator Ever" and immediately thought to post some response that ends me being kick-banned 4 life.
    I don't usually buy those things that were ACTUALLY being referred to by the OP, which was obvious when I opened the thread and read it.
    Now Daditude's response SEEMED to reinforce my interpretation. So hahaha goes me, when I came in here to post the Reprehensible Flintstones and saw the reference to MODERATOR Force Flow. Who from the time I spent here is a good, kind, KNOWLEDGEABLE person with integrity, as ALSO are you Mr Isochronic_Frost.
    So I'm not gonna try to delve into whatever powder coated maelstrom generated this comment, but I assure you that disabled people are not INVOLVED here and I am not offended on behalf of them. Nor was I referencing that other thread, tho I see that it PROBABLY read that way. And I honestly apologize for whatever the hell was implied by what I said. And it is right and just of you to POINT OUT such a world-view, tho I promise to you that I am NOT THAT GUY.
    TL;DR - I am all WTF and was just making a joke about moderators, probably fucked up the context, and am sorry for being dumb

You read it correctly, but reading into it too much.
    The thread is about the worst MODifications to pinball machines. There is a double entendre in the title that could be read as “worst MODerator” so the JOKE was to make humorous references to that, which @daditude, yourself and @pomc, picked up on.

The other half of the comment is referring to strummy’s response to a now-deleted post. It’s not you, and I wasn’t suggesting you are that guy or that you have any issues, you got the joke, which is why you were included.

No worries, it’s merely a funny play on words and nobody is going to get upset! thanks for playing!

#112 2 years ago

You read it correctly, but reading into it too much.
    The thread is about the worst MODifications to pinball machines. There is a double entendre in the title that could be read as “worst MODerator” so the JOKE was to make humorous references to that, which Daditude, yourself and PoMC, picked up on.
    The other half of the comment is referring to strummy’s response to a now-deleted post. It’s not you, and I wasn’t suggesting you are that guy or that you have any issues, you got the joke, which is why you were included.
    No worries, it’s merely a funny play on words and nobody is going to get upset! thanks for playing!

Sweet - thank you for the explanation! Yeah I found the double meaning of the title funny, didn't want to offend!

#113 2 years ago

Any mod that blocks the view of the path of the ball.

#114 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

LED Bulbs, worse Mod Ever.

I am assuming that you are kidding or mean it in a less broad way. For many older titles, part of the ambience is the incandescent bulb glow. (Funhouse for example). For some titles LEDs can really make the title pop in a great way. (I have a 2006 PotC with LEDs now installed and it makes all the difference in feeling like a modern machine). That said, I have seen SO MANY machines with poor LED conversions that look horrific. And don't forget the older machine matrix bulb issues with ghosting for LEDs.

In the end, I guess this one is a matter of taste...

#115 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Apologies in advance, I’m downvoting posts defending mods. Take it to a pro-mod thread!

You are gonna hate MOP now!

#116 2 years ago

Speaking of worst mods, I just added the worst one for Big Hurt.

Only cost me $.99 at Goodwill, so it’s cheap AND awful. I present to you the 1995 starting lineup edition, Frank Thomas action figure Topper!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#117 2 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

alternate translites are the worst mods ever.

Guilty

IMG_4809 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_4809 (1) (resized).jpg
    #118 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

The worst mods ever are action figures.

Yeah. G.I. Joe keeps ejecting me from every thread I post in. That guy is the worst mod ever.

#119 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

Guilty [quoted image]

Uff, brutal.

#120 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

Guilty [quoted image]

Where you get that from?

#121 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

Guilty [quoted image]

Nedry looks like he could be a realistic version of Peter Griffin with no glasses lol

#122 2 years ago

Last Action Hero alt translite to get rid of big head Arnold.

#123 2 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Nedry looks like he could be a realistic version of Peter Griffin with no glasses lol

I thought they left off Nedry till you mentioned it.

#124 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I thought they left off Nedry till you mentioned it

Jambalaya!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #125 2 years ago

3D Coin Reject Buttons. We so don’t needs 2 Mini 3D Printed Raptor heads on the Coin Door.

#126 2 years ago

Worst mod..those colored plastics you put behind ' pro', ' premium'. They are not even noticible.

#127 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

3D Coin Reject Buttons. We so don’t needs 2 Mini 3D Printed Raptor heads on the Coin Door.

We don’t “need” most of the things we buy in life. Actually I don’t “need” a pinball machine but I have some.

#128 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:3D Coin Reject Buttons. ...

Damn. My GnR might have been acceptable otherwise.

2832c5f0f171051be024fdff6e4ce0ec723df75d (resized).jpg2832c5f0f171051be024fdff6e4ce0ec723df75d (resized).jpg

#129 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

[quoted image]

Is that a security camera where the start button should be?

#130 2 years ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Is that a security camera where the start button should be?

I wish. Unfortunately, just another awful, unneeded mod.

#131 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

[quoted image]

Worst offense here is the double cupholders.

#132 2 years ago

I’m a fan of Colored Cabinet Protectors

FA687205-29A0-4F26-9EA2-ED504CD1A48A (resized).jpegFA687205-29A0-4F26-9EA2-ED504CD1A48A (resized).jpeg
    #133 2 years ago

I've never understood the infatuation with making every part of your game glow with LED lighting...like it's radioactive. Under it, behind it, around the legs, around the shooter, the flipper buttons, even the cup holder. The list goes on and on.

I'm surprised no one makes something that goes behind the coin door.

#134 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Hush.

#135 2 years ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

Last Action Hero alt translite to get rid of big head Arnold.

The alternate "big foot" is not significantly better either.

#136 2 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

I am assuming that you are kidding or mean it in a less broad way. For many older titles, part of the ambience is the incandescent bulb glow. (Funhouse for example). For some titles LEDs can really make the title pop in a great way. (I have a 2006 PotC with LEDs now installed and it makes all the difference in feeling like a modern machine). That said, I have seen SO MANY machines with poor LED conversions that look horrific. And don't forget the older machine matrix bulb issues with ghosting for LEDs.
    In the end, I guess this one is a matter of taste...

Less is more when it comes to LED's

Too many people load up a pin with 2SMD GI and it is lit like a prison yard.

Retro spec or 1SMD at best, warm white looks great. Clear dome when out of line of sight, frosted where you can see the dome.

#137 2 years ago

I mostly agree...warm white, frosted dome, everywhere, in everything. (I usually use CT premiums as I load up on them at shows for $50/100 cash; I "think" they are 2smd, non-ghosting, but I've never popped a dome off to look. All I know is that I like them, and they look good in every game I've put them in thus far)

#138 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

I mostly agree...warm white, frosted dome, everywhere, in everything. (I usually use CT premiums as I load up on them at shows for $50/100 cash; I "think" they are 2smd, non-ghosting, but I've never popped a dome off to look. All I know is that I like them, and they look good in every game I've put them in thus far)

Inserts is the only place I use color generally- blue, green, red. Orange and yellow inserts get white led.

#139 2 years ago

My least favorite mod ..... custom shooter rods. I hate how they feel, I hate how they look, I hate them all. Give me a simple standard shooter rod and you can mod the hell out of the rest of the game.

Runner up: any mod on a game that I am going to buy that causes the price to go up to cover their cost. Take the crap off and I'll buy it at a normal price

#140 2 years ago

This is sure one salty motherfucker of a thread.
    I love every mod that I like and install on MY game.
    I love every mod that you like that YOU install on YOUR game.
    I hate every mod that I don't like that I have to remove from a game I just bought.
    I guess thats about it.

#141 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zplumb:

You are gonna hate MOP now!

Please don't defile my baby. I'll buy it back for 20 grand.

#142 2 years ago

Top side color LEDs (here is the club https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails/page/140#post-6752684)

Before and after a surgery patient I took in. Check out how many colored bulbs I took out... over 15 color changing bulbs in Twilight Zone!

tz2 (resized).jpgtz2 (resized).jpgtz3 (resized).jpgtz3 (resized).jpgtz4 (resized).jpgtz4 (resized).jpg
    #143 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

Hard to find the worst

#144 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I've never understood the infatuation with making every part of your game glow with LED lighting...like it's radioactive.

Don't give Vince any more ideas.
    thekorn.jpgthekorn.jpg

#145 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:Top side color LEDs (here is the club https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/no-rainbow-puke-club-post-pics-of-worst-color-gi-fails/page/140#post-6752684)
    Before and after a surgery patient I took in. Check out how many colored bulbs I took out... over 15 color changing bulbs in Twilight Zone![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This is why you don't buy overpriced LED kits.

#146 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Please don't defile my baby. I'll buy it back for 20 grand.

I’ve got more then that into it…… so far!

#147 2 years ago

I thought this thread was going to be about the worst designed or thought out mod or just poorly executed (like the original TZ blob camera thing) as opposed to people’s opinions about the desirability of mods. People like/dislike different things. But some mods out there are just horr-awful!

I also hate when mod sellers post pictures of mods installed but don’t show what it is you are actually buying. I guess this is primarily for mods that light up. I guess they do not want you to know that you are buying a$1 LED, a length of wire and a connector?

#148 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

Cup holders are a must upgrade on my games. I typically have one on the right side of each game and use the one on the game to my left when needed for occasional 2nd bev.

The arrangement in the pic was temporary as I was getting ready to move the game to the far left position of a lineup (no game on left side to take advantage of).

#149 2 years ago

I used to have a Stern TMNT. The owners thread on there is chalked full of terrible "Mods". Playfields just littered with useless junk that doesn't even match the artwork of the game.

You want old toys on your playfield, they have them...
    05abaf2a4fb1dc6fda26fb8d6731c2de942988fd (resized).jpg05abaf2a4fb1dc6fda26fb8d6731c2de942988fd (resized).jpg
    Trapping a ball for all eternity is a feature...bcabdc50027b96b220b532f470cca26f8576a8a7 (1) (resized).jpgbcabdc50027b96b220b532f470cca26f8576a8a7 (1) (resized).jpg7dd004f80b5c97bd4d36aa20a3fb5e9330c97f9d (resized).jpg7dd004f80b5c97bd4d36aa20a3fb5e9330c97f9d (resized).jpg70edd4fcd73d5b82583b4d2e58f0977016bf0976 (resized).jpg70edd4fcd73d5b82583b4d2e58f0977016bf0976 (resized).jpg
    Doesn't fit? Who cares!dce38dbfb278d76645e80f406b98df409b194011 (resized).jpgdce38dbfb278d76645e80f406b98df409b194011 (resized).jpg

Home made toppers, check...
    77915945389833eea104568f482f7b204adeeef2 (resized).jpg77915945389833eea104568f482f7b204adeeef2 (resized).jpg
    I think the guy in the middle is drunk, but seems to be enjoying himselfb62eb2aa882cdeda8ff1b96615e9ef0c40d01d07 (resized).jpgb62eb2aa882cdeda8ff1b96615e9ef0c40d01d07 (resized).jpg

You want Funko crap? They'll bring the Funko crap...HARD!
    5473522fc233c7ce561cfa6e53d493fc74edbf3b (resized).jpg5473522fc233c7ce561cfa6e53d493fc74edbf3b (resized).jpg68358bb0fc22cc72bcb2ff86a0bb8619c8074a0a (resized).jpg68358bb0fc22cc72bcb2ff86a0bb8619c8074a0a (resized).jpg8395dfd237f06b2c14b0927d1a242da03af8b3d2 (resized).jpg8395dfd237f06b2c14b0927d1a242da03af8b3d2 (resized).jpgbd7a59c1ddf71f559a06fe76475dc614987caac7 (resized).jpgbd7a59c1ddf71f559a06fe76475dc614987caac7 (resized).jpg

#150 2 years ago

Generally speaking, I don't mind mods--some are pretty cool, some are not, some are no longer "mods" (i.e., a color display for b/w's is about the same price as a plasma display if you can find one, and therefore no longer a "mod" in my mind for most games).

I do mind when someone adds $100's of dollars of plastic crap to their game, and thinks when they sell it I should pay more for the game because of all its "mods." If it has value outside of the game (display, HD glass, something that is easily removed and "universal") I'll pay more for it. If it is a worthless piece of junk when removed from the game it was installed in (toys, flipper covers, cosmetic "upgrades," etc.) it adds no value to your pin. If you like it cool--but you are not "improving" your pin for anyone but you...

There are 300 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-mod-ever/page/3?hl=grandnational007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.