(Topic ID: 28788)

Worst hack/repair you ever saw.

By mcclad

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17137452019287598807293974414584 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yaksplat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2191 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I'd like to convert my old pins to expansion springs for more positive action but have not yet figured out a way to do it without it looking like an abortion.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/full-restore-of-a-whirlwind#post-5205753

1 month later
    #2252 4 years ago

When you don't know how to terminate wires, you just use a strip from another machine and splice the wires in. 2 extra feet? No problem.
    IMG_20191117_233428 (resized).jpgIMG_20191117_233428 (resized).jpg

Or you twist wires together and then jam pins into a connector. This one is heavy.
    IMG_20191117_233506 (resized).jpgIMG_20191117_233506 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #2258 4 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I received some old pinball boards in trade for repairing an MPU. There were five system 7 displays included that weren't working. No words other than no solder bridge too far...
    Three had broken nipples but I can probably save the other two.[quoted image][quoted image]

salvageable, but were the displays outgassed?

1 month later
    #2403 4 years ago

They've been soldered on every game I've owned

1 month later
    #2492 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I don't know about that. I had a stainless version of those for my deck. they were a pain in the @ss to remove when I re-did the deck. I replaced them with star headed screws, which do not strip.

I agree, I'm not a fan of the square drive. In theory, they should never strip. In reality, I've seen a ton of them strip out. Yes, using the right bit.

4 months later
    #2705 3 years ago
    Quoted from RobDutch:

Just got this WPC95 board to fix a weird hack/fix..
    The capacitors both have a resistor on each of their wires.
    So instead of just 2 capacitors, this hack/fix involves 4 capacitors of the wrong size, and 4 resistors
    Also because of the way they are placed, they are very very loose and move a lot..
    [quoted image][quoted image]

But, do they calculate out to the correct capacitance?

2 months later
    #2784 3 years ago
    Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

the work is a bit less I think

It's not. With a hardtop you just strip the top. On a full swap you strip the top and bottom.

#2788 3 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Don't most people doing the hardtop do a lot of insert work and clearcoat it before sticking it down though for best results? That's more work to me.

Is 30 minutes really that much more work? That's how long I spent sanding my inserts to 3000 grit and then a quick coat of rattle can clear.

#2791 3 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Not from the threads I was reading people were going way more over the top with it, sanding it and multiple coats.

Some people will take anything to the extreme. Multiple coats of clear aren't necessary. The whole point is to remove flaws and then making the inserts clear again.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yaksplat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw?tu=yaksplat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.