Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,667 posts
  • 733 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 hours ago by Tuukka
  • Topic is favorited by 314 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240321_180554 (resized).jpg
    68714440943__356B9A98-CA54-4C2A-A85D-8E5C24E9F1AA (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider uncivil_engineer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#537 8 years ago

Ugh... The street fighter I am working on right now is the worse I have ever seen. If you have ever worked on a Gottleib system 3, most of the fuses are mounted under the playfield. Just about every fuse had replaced with 10 amp fuses. This might explain why four of the coils are shorted out. All of the subway ejects coils were shorted out, so the previous owner had just stuffed cloth into the holes to block them off.

1 year later
    #1187 6 years ago
    Quoted from BroMike:

When I got my Getaway, the left outlane had a plastic bottle cap screwed into the playfield.

This reminds me of what I found in my Street Fighter 2 when I first got it home...
    streetfightergolf (resized).jpgstreetfightergolf (resized).jpg

The upkicker was not working, so someone stuck this in there to stop to balls from going in.

#1193 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

Yikes! How the heck is that flipper rubber still on the game? It's got more dimples than the golf ball!
    faz

That SF2 was in horrible shape when I got it home. It's been my long term restoration project for over a year now.IMG_3196 (resized).JPGIMG_3196 (resized).JPG

#1195 6 years ago
    Quoted from mgpasman:

Yeah, but, WHY?

I wanted to try some things I had never done before, like touching up and clearing a playfield, and repainting a cabinet with automotive paint. If I screwed it up, the world might be a better place. If I pull it off, I will have the most polished tur* in the world.

#1198 6 years ago

Actually yes, I have a Hurricane I am currently sorting out.

1 month later
    #1317 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Don't worry, they will make more.

Judging by the boards that come up on ebay for sale as non-working, the supply is plentiful.

4 months later
    #1528 6 years ago

I may be in the minority here, but I hate crimped connection. I think it may be my years of working with RC airplanes before I got into pinball, where a crimped connections are not used at all due to reliability issues. To that end, if I do use a crimped connection, I always flow some solder into the joint after I crimp it.

1 month later
    #1618 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

This is a new one to me...

Ok, that is an impressive amount a work to go to for replacing one plug.

#1625 6 years ago

I saw this today on ebay.. someone put a lot of work into this.

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

3 years later
    #3287 2 years ago

I will admit this one is one I did. When I got the board, the heat sink was missing over the bridge rectifiers. I had a bunch of heat sinks left over from replacing old 5v regulators, so I decided to repurpose a couple for the rectifiers. It’s not pretty, but it works.

C1485F38-7996-451E-AA58-8B9FC16C1268 (resized).jpegC1485F38-7996-451E-AA58-8B9FC16C1268 (resized).jpeg
    #3292 2 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Wow, I've not seen one of these before, did you put that one in?[quoted image]

Yes I did. That is a switching 5v regulator from https://www.ezsbc.com/product/psu5/
    Every time I come a cross a WPC driver board with low 5 volts, I replace the regulator with one of these and the caps. It works about 90% of the time.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider uncivil_engineer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw?tu=uncivil_engineer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.