(Topic ID: 28788)

Worst hack/repair you ever saw.

By mcclad

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17137452019287598807293974414584 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tuukka.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2020 5 years ago

In the 80's the bad guys used to punch or kick on the speaker grille, so that the speaker got torn loose, and then grabbed coins from cashbox via the open speaker hole. There was a rumour that some operators then mounted razor blades to cashbox back edge. Probably just installing cashbox covers should have been enough.

5 months later
    #2151 4 years ago

Cost of a bracket = $2.50. Cost of a quick weld job at operators shop = $0.25...

3 weeks later
    #2205 4 years ago

I used to carry some most common coils, flipper button and EOS switches, coil stops and sleeves, lamps, Gottlieb and Bally drop targets and fuses. Usually nothing game specific. In days of EM and early SS a broken EOS usually resulted in burned flipper coil and molten sleeve. I dont remember having to take the game to shop for repairs, but sometimes had to go there myself to get some parts not in my toolcase.

2 months later
    #2358 4 years ago

A co-worker of mine used to say that fuses blow because they are bad quality. He also told me that fuses are rated according to their quality, 1A being the worst and 10A being the best.

3 months later
    #2568 4 years ago

My boss did the exact same thing! Luckily the games were EM then, and a little more forgiving to that kind of abuse. He used to put pliers across the burnt fuse.

1 month later
    #2634 3 years ago

Linkage is probably working, but the EOS switch sure needs some adjustment...

1 month later
    #2709 3 years ago

Someone did not have capacitors of high enough voltage, and replaced with two series connected caps, and inserted resistors to equalize voltages between the two caps. Not bad.

1 week later
    #2719 3 years ago
    Quoted from RobDutch:

Checking in again with another beauty!
    This was dangeling inside the machine so there is a huge chance it shorted something..
    No wonder the board does not work anymore
    [quoted image]

Looks like someone has been out of LM323's and cleverly created an adjustable 5V regulator from an LM317.

Besides accidental shorting, it is really amazing if it ever worked without a heat sink and not go to thermal shutdown. The original LM323 is rated for 3A, and LM317 for 1.5A, which is just barely enough and even then with ample heat sinking. But of course that depends on how much the unregulated voltage is over 5 volts.

#2733 3 years ago

Have you tried drawing numbers on the connectors?

1 week later
    #2748 3 years ago

73 YOU ALL HAMS DE OH3MVV

4 months later
    #2911 3 years ago

Is that from a re-import game? The 1-1/4" fuses are sometimes hard to find in Europe, since we mainly use the smaller 5 x 20 mm.

2 weeks later
    #2946 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

A high number of the routed project games I've encountered were missing the knocker coil. Operators liked to use it as a spare tire.

In Finland, we have mandatory mechanical coin counters (although I never heard that anybody had their counter readings ever checked), that in WPC games connect to knocker output, leaving the knocker disconnected. Some operators then take out the knocker coil for spares.

#2949 3 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

I'm amazed it lasted at all and isn't burnt to a crisp without a hold winding.

Probably because players soon found out the flipper is useless, and did not bother to play long enough for the coil to burn out...

2 months later
    #3009 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

But to go across the back box cover? And they even very neatly cut slots into the back box door for the plates to fit through

Back in EM days, if a game was in a dark corner, clever kids used a large screwdriver to pry the backbox cover open a little from one side, then turned the credit unit wheel to maximum with a bicycle spoke. We mounted a microswitch detecting open cover and a loud alarm inside the backbox. Also securing rods like that were used.

2 months later
    #3146 2 years ago

On Elektra, the push button enables lower playfield flippers for testing.

1 week later
    #3152 2 years ago

That's a Wico add-on sound board designed to replace chimes in EM games. Quite rare.

7 months later
    #3438 2 years ago

The difference between profit making and just floorspace taking game.

3 weeks later
    #3462 2 years ago

And for the same reasons exactly. But you dont need to repair the bullet

4 months later
    #3564 1 year ago

Apart from making unnecessary holes in cabinet, actually quite clever compared to the usual doorbell button.

1 week later
    #3606 1 year ago

Maybe it is just a fuse

2 weeks later
    #3669 1 year ago

I once bought an old Bally game, originally with 2" flippers, but 3" flippers installed. The seller had found out that if both flippers are up, draining is impossible. So he had quite cleverly installed relays on flipper circuits, to prevent one flipper energizing if the other is already up.

#3673 1 year ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

That must have been quite an awkward feeling when playing that game. Pressing the flipper button and nothing happens would feel very odd, even if just for a split second of normal flipper play.

Sure. And that's why the 3" flippers and relays were quite soon disposed of

1 month later
    #3890 1 year ago

Most important part of the picture above is the capacitor charging/discharging curve. The capacitor only charges when rectifier output is higher than capacitor voltage. Rest of time it just supplies current, or discharges. This means the peak current from rectifier might be 10x higher than average load current. And that's why 35 amp rectifiers are used - and sometimes fail - in average 2 amp circuit.

2 months later
    #3947 1 year ago

Maybe the original 1-1/4" size fuse was not available locally? And the repairman did not have (for example) a 10 amp 20mm fuse but used two 5 amp fuses in parallel instead.

Not so pretty, but sometimes you have to get the game working with the spares and tools you happen to have with you, on location.

3 months later
    #4105 1 year ago

Not bad. Beefy enough (maybe car alternator) diodes, and even soldered case to PCB for cooling.

2 weeks later
    #4156 12 months ago

Reduce buzzing maybe?

#4173 12 months ago

As much as I do appreciate cfh's work, I think adjusting the makeshift plungers rubber tip does not do very much to tune the chime.

4 months later
    #4359 7 months ago

The bad guys used to drill a hole to front door and then use a bicycle spoke etc. to push the escape button to get service credits. This was before the coin door interlock button disabled diagnostic switches.

Maybe also to prevent serviceman reading audits, or alter game settings without backbox key.

#4361 7 months ago

In the bicycle spoke case, yes. But preventing audit or setup access from the serviceman, no, since he has front door key and access to playfield underside.

Personally, I think if you dont trust your service guy enough to let him access game setup, maybe it is time to find another one. Disabling the diagnostics makes it hard to find problems other than obvious loose wires or burnt out bulbs. But I have seen an operator paranoid enough to do that.

2 weeks later
    #4413 7 months ago

Good that the coil survived. Next step would have been to short out the flipper fuse, then burn out the coil and eventually flipper supply.

3 weeks later
    #4476 6 months ago

When you are repairing routed games, you have to manage it with what is in your toolbox, sometimes with not so nice looking hacks.

Anyway, when I was doing that work, I always took care I had a good assortment of screws and wood dowels with me. Often, a loosened screw hole could be at least temporarily repaired by inserting one or two matches in the hole, then replacing the screw. A more permanent repair was to slightly enlarge the hole, insert and glue a wood dowel, then drill a hole for screw.

I never used oversized screws that penetrated through the playfield, but unfortunately many others did I admit sometimes I "repaired" a fuse by soldering a strand of wire across it.

4 months later
    #4610 57 days ago
    Quoted from SiN13:

Some extra weight so it falls back into place?

Clever repair, but on most games the reset bar falls back even without extra weight

I am sure that after cleaning it will work without that.

#4614 57 days ago

I have seen similar solutions, when a location owner thinks the game is too loud, but doesnt have keys to open game and adjust volume.

1 month later
    #4647 23 days ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Probably not four of them.

Very unlikely that a game on route would suddenly lose four drop target springs.

2 weeks later
    #4667 5 days ago

Are you sure it is just a second lock? I have seen operators remove the original power switch and installing a keyswitch instead. Usually, on the cabinet front on the right side of coin door though.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tuukka.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw?tu=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.