(Topic ID: 28788)

Worst hack/repair you ever saw.

By mcclad

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17137452019287598807293974414584 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2207 4 years ago

There is a hole in the dead bumper caps to add a screw if you want. I don't know if they ever came with them - it's on the side vs. the top for pops.

2 weeks later
    #2239 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

It’s not meant to protect it, it’s suppose to add more bounce.

It's because for a long time the correct rebound rubber wasn't available and the replacement was kind of dead. Tim talks about it in one of his old videos.

3 months later
    #2510 4 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

"20 amps? Wall circuit is only rated 15 so clearly that one's not needed..."
    Actually, I never thought about it until making that joke so / but in all seriousness, wouldn't a 15A breaker (in the wall) trip long before the pin could draw +20A to blow that fuse?
    (Granted, I know the fuse is necessary because commercial wall runs would preferably be rated at 20 or more... but in the typical 15A home run, what would happen?)

It's 20 amps at whatever voltage that circuit is - so in theory if there was a 20 amp fuse in the 120 volt line, the 15amp breaker should trip first.

But a 20 amp circuit in a lower voltage circuit could draw that much. Think about it - you can put 4-5 pins on a 15 amp breaker, and #44 lamps draw 1/4 amp.... if it was 1/4 at 115 volts, you could only have 60 total bulbs for all 4/5 machines! We know that's not true.

3 months later
    #2649 3 years ago

reinforce that plastic?

3 months later
    #2785 3 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

It's not. With a hardtop you just strip the top. On a full swap you strip the top and bottom.

Don't most people doing the hardtop do a lot of insert work and clearcoat it before sticking it down though for best results? That's more work to me.

#2790 3 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Is 30 minutes really that much more work? That's how long I spent sanding my inserts to 3000 grit and then a quick coat of rattle can clear.

Not from the threads I was reading people were going way more over the top with it, sanding it and multiple coats.

2 months later
    #2930 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't think I've encountered hot glue before.

That's for professionals!

#2932 3 years ago

/sarcasm implied

On a hot glue related tangent.... lots of hobbyist videos etc. show using hot glue (like portable consoles made from full size units) - and there's a lot of cheaply made retail products made with it as well. It pretty much removes easily repairability IMO and should be avoided.

I don't buy or use mods for the most part except for software. Those who have seen the source to some of my mods would call them the equivalent of hot glue I'd think.

4 weeks later
    #2986 3 years ago

If that works it's impressive.

If you have to work on it, it's scary.

4 months later
    #3143 2 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

What was the intended purpose of being able to do that with the button?

Advancing the Carry over feature to entice play

- or -

Screwing the player over by advancing it back to the s

1 week later
    #3170 2 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

It looks home-made. The traces seem hand drawn or created using adhesive tape then the PCB etched...

Oh, that's vintage pre-1980s routing. They were all hand drawn and created.

The guy that did it at williams (Ray Gay IIRC) did a seminar at Expo 2008 or 2009.

1 week later
    #3205 2 years ago

Almost anything is better than butt splices.... they just don't last. I've bought cars that have had a succession of stereos and alarms installed and every one of them had bad splices in the wires you would expect to use for those items. At work an outside contractor used them on our equipment about 3 years ago (we are not allowed to use regular butt splices at all) - we are now seeing a lot of failures in the harness work they did. I've been repairing them with heat shrink and solder with the lineman's splice. I would use the marine connector with the heat gun setup but for 2 reasons: We don't have anyway to power the heat shrink gun where the equipment is (no power.... so I use a cordless soldering iron to solder there) and the far more important reason, work won't pay for the good stuff.

Quoted from goingincirclez:

And sometimes tape has its own advantages too (easily color coded; easily removed).

Usually on its own!

#3208 2 years ago

Even with good tape it still unwraps.... probably from all the flexing. If I need to leave it on/use it I'll do what you said make it long and then put a wire tie on the ends of the tape to keep it in place. I've done that with heat shrink too when I was too lazy to get the heat gun out (not at work though, usually just some kind of bench harness)

When I moved into my current house the previous owner's electrical work was extremely questionable - I guess he missed the part of the NEC where you can't overstuff junction boxes. All of them were overstuffed and all the wire nuts were reenforced with cheap tape, most of which had melted into goo. So you know those boxes were getting hot hot hot.

He buried a lot of those cheap 'handy boxes' in the walls too, that could barely fit a switch or outlet, and managed to stuff extra connections in there, too.

2 months later
    #3257 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Duct tape and paperclips are holing the entire american infrastructure up.

At a previous job we had a ton of Toshiba laptops that would work ok for a while and then just wouldn't charge. Got tired of sending them out where they would just put in an even more f'd up motherboard in them so I took a look - the solder was cracking on the power input.

So, resoldered and re-inforced with.... a bent paper clip. It worked great to beef up the area.

3 months later
    #3360 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

The spring was too long and was "stretched" into the needed length.

If they'd cut the extra length and made a new ring at the end you probably wouldn't have even noticed it.

1 month later
    #3464 2 years ago

coil stop bracket for bally made out of a window shade bracket.

Brilliant!!

coilstophack (resized).pngcoilstophack (resized).png
    6 months later
    #3741 1 year ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

You ain’t seen nothing!!! I work in the data center world, and every once in a while run into business that meant well, but over the years end up like this

No problem it's all color coded!

1 month later
    #3907 1 year ago

Also more expensive than stand ups. They do play a lot slower which is not what you want on firepower.

9 months later
    #4253 9 months ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

When you say “they”, do you mean that belongs to Eric’s neighbors and he did it purposely so he has to keep going over there?

Is there enough slack in the wires to mount it on the other side of the bracket? I thought all the shooter mechs always had the wires really close - I'd probably bend the coil lugs out of the way as much as possible and resolder in this situation. That's always a tight area on the WMS mechs like that.

6 months later
    #4579 69 days ago
    Quoted from chad:

[quoted image]

I've done it

1 week later
    #4584 58 days ago

People do that a lot because they don't realize you can buy the connector parts or they just don't know how. Better than soldering directly to the terminals which is the usual field fix.

Related back in the day story.... people cut the wiring that went to the rectifier board in stern mpu200 games all the time because they didn't realize the one harness can come UP out of the cabinet. They thought you had to disconnect all the wiring from the head including the soldered in bulbs. Everyone was used to pulling connectors out of the head and dropping them into the cab for breakdown that they didn't realize you could pull that one UP.

Lots of project games acquired where the wiring has been patched (sometimes poorly) where they cut the wires.

1 month later
    #4637 22 days ago

The key thing is pretty common I think due to the number of machines it's been found in with the single drop mechs and I'm sure there's at least one of the multibank mechs with some of them installed too. Just think if it wasn't so obviously a key, and was boxy/blocky everyone would be saying "how do I get one of these extra strength reset fingers?"

The trough thing, yuck. But yes, they did anything they possibly could BITD to keep these running, STTNG was a monster on location taking $$$ in. They were selling on the used operator market in 1993-1994 for $7000 in some cases. Total cash cow.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw?tu=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.