Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,666 posts
  • 733 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 40 minutes ago by alf_1968
  • Topic is favorited by 313 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240321_180554 (resized).jpg
    68714440943__356B9A98-CA54-4C2A-A85D-8E5C24E9F1AA (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shredso.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1322 6 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Custom Christmas cookie tin face plate

This might be my favorite so far...

1 week later
    #1336 6 years ago
    Quoted from AMBoggs:

I suppose this isn't the worst repair, but it wasn't what I was expecting. You couldn't tell while the ramp was installed and it got the job done.
    Space Station ramp fixed with a coffee can, at least that is what i think it is.

Looks like it wasn't visible from the top of the playfield. I give it an A+.

2 months later
    #1391 6 years ago
    Quoted from algrande:

My temporary hack for my AFM drop target.

I'm not even sure I'd replace that with the proper part if it's working. It's most certainly stronger than the original part. Now you can put "Better than New!" in the listing when you sell it.

11 months later
    #1902 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

I just pulled out a flipper link that was made from a carved up drop target from a Stern Lightning project.
    [quoted image]

Maybe we need another thread for out of the box hacks that worked. I'm assuming it was working? If so, great hack!

4 months later
    #1989 5 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Found this in a Super Mario Bros. Mushroom World:
    [quoted image]

If this works, I'm impressed. Are they wired, or is it just a holder for spares?

8 months later
    #2253 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Nothing wrong with that. When a switch broke on the route, you used what you had or wnet to a Radio Shack or other electronics store and grabbed whatever would work. Heck, Wico, Great Amusement Emporium, Penn-Ray etc all sold universal switches to route operators to keep in the parts room.

While they may not be the "worst", I enjoy seeing the operator hacks in here, especially when followed by an explanation from an operator.

1 month later
    #2354 4 years ago
    Quoted from LongJohns:

Recent started some work on a Mars Trek:
    When you don't have a proper flipper coil, any old solenoid you can find in the garage will work (plus a extra heavy duty spring).
    [quoted image]

Does it work?

#2391 4 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Well, well!! Look what's now up for sale. I guess it ended up not playing as well as he thought it would with the post "mod"? I mean, why bother doing all that work on a high value item if you knew that there was a high chance that it wouldn't work out? That's like putting a lift kit on a pristine Ferrari and then trying to sell it. LOL at the comment[quoted image][quoted image]

I was hoping that was fake. Ughhh...

1 month later
    #2462 4 years ago
    Quoted from semicolin:

I bought a machine like that from a guy once... I think his name was Eddy? Eddy Current?
    Har. Electrician joke. That said, as a former stagehand and current construction electrician, this is a lousy way to coil. Watch this guy coil a cable. It's the only right way to do it, and after one of my new apprentices learns how to sweep, this is what they move on to next. Once they master this, then the more interesting work can begin.

Gigging musician for over 20 years and electrician for over 10, I support this message.

1 week later
    #2499 4 years ago

As an electrician I've always liked the Robertson head. Most of our receptacles and panelboards, circuit breakers, etc. are a combination of Robertson, flathead and Phillips. Most of the guys in the field don't even realize it or have the driver in their tool bag. More recently some of the 10 in 1 screwdrivers are including it. I find it quicker, less likely to strip, and safer. Thanks for the video!

3 months later
    #2678 3 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

Just saw this on another thread that has a link to eBay if anyone’s interested.
    [quoted image]

This thing is one step away from becoming a planter.

1 month later
    #2735 3 years ago

I stopped coloring or labeling WPC games years ago. Is there anything you can screw up on a WPC game? I know some of the older games were not as well thought out (because I've blown stuff up), but I don't think I've ever cooked anything on a modern game from plugging in wrong and I've pulled dozens of boards.

2 months later
    #2834 3 years ago
    Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

Replaced the plastic coil sleeve with metal.
    Eventually fried it as the fuses were wrong and in turn knocked out part of the board.
    [quoted image]

Metal sleeves were pretty common, I've seen plenty of them in older games. I always replace them, but I don't see it as a hack. You can still buy them.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/56-0667-00

#2836 3 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Those are cheap, not... I usually toss the metal ones if it's even possible as they usually fuse to the coil and ruin it.

Holy cow, I didn't even look at the price. I've probably tossed dozens of them over the years, maybe I should have been saving them. Ha!

1 week later
    #2848 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

This ebd has 3 hacks all within 8 inches of each other. Can you see them?
    [quoted image]

Wires soldered directly to the solenoid connector.
    I see a large screw coming through the playfield.
    Loose screw on the EOS, maybe not a hack.
    Something looks a little funky on the coil wiring.

What am I missing?

2 months later
    #2964 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinball4ever:

Why spend 20 cents on new flipper rubber when you can just take an old crusty piece that broke off and a tube of super glue and fix it? You don't use the back side of the flipper, so you don't need anything there anyway, right?[quoted image]

Delete this before Stern sees it!

2 months later
    #3069 3 years ago
    Quoted from tonnerremeca:

Heavy duty ball shooter. Seen on a Charlie's angels.
    [quoted image]

I've seen much worse plunger mods.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shredso.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw?tu=shredso and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.