(Topic ID: 28788)

Worst hack/repair you ever saw.

By mcclad

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17137452019287598807293974414584 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotworkshop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1124 6 years ago
    Quoted from polyacanthus:

Here's one. Is there some reason for this I'm not aware of or did they just not know how to operate their cutters? I was going to start a thread for this question but I believe it belongs here.
    Edit: also notice the resistor clot in the background.

Someone may have pulled out the through hole plating so they used a wire wrap socket I order to solder the traces on the component side of the board. Instead I would have used a machine socket since you can still do solder from the top too and not have it stick up like that.

For the resistor mess in the background they probably didn't have a resistor pack and didn't want to wait to order the proper one so they just made one....

7 months later
    #1579 6 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

wow, someone got up on the wrong side of the bed. if you're going to give a 'thumbs down' be man enough as to a reason why (especially, my reply was providing an answer to a question
    and if it's because that person's question was considered off topic, then pardon me mr. debbie downer

I think a lot of up vote and down votes happen without the person indending to do so. If anyone reads threads on a tablet then you'll understand. If you scroll up using your finger on the right side of the screen you can accidentally upvote or downvote posts without realizing it. Kind of annoying really and it has happened to me many times.

So maybe you got a down vote when none was intended.....

2 months later
    #1689 6 years ago

Poor System 9 board. I guess it could be a rainy day project when there is nothing else to work on. Honestly I don't know what someone was/wasn't thinking as they hacked this board. Just about everything that was touched ruined a trace. Still trying to figure out just how the top of the board is so hacked up for U49. Just sad. Some people just aren't up to desoldering/soldering on PCB's

DSCF5914 (resized).JPGDSCF5914 (resized).JPG

DSCF5915 (resized).JPGDSCF5915 (resized).JPG

DSCF5918 (resized).JPGDSCF5918 (resized).JPG

DSCF5917 (resized).JPGDSCF5917 (resized).JPG

DSCF5916 (resized).JPGDSCF5916 (resized).JPG

#1696 6 years ago
    Quoted from someotherguy:

Agreed. Somebody went shopping on that board.
    I'd say it could definitely be fixed, but "rainy day" for sure, and it's gonna be a rats' nest of jumper wires! When it's all said and done, an "after" picture could probably still qualify in this thread, but at least it would be working again.

Well, I suppose it depends just on how much time I wanted to kill. Since that board isn't particularly rare I don't think I am going to mess with it. I'll focus on more important projects for now. If I did need that board then I would probably use the wirewrap wire to bend up new traces like I did on this WPC board. It had a small hole (filled with epoxy) in the board where the three green jumpers are. All the jumpers that I made are on the component side of the board.

I've worked on boards with the rats nest of wires dangling off the back and if I ever get a machine like that then I'll redo the work and make it more like the attached picture.

WPC_fix (resized).jpgWPC_fix (resized).jpg

#1704 6 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

What's happening to this thread!? That looks like a sweet repair job, I'm here for the total shit show not clean work.

Sorry, I'll just keep to the before pictures in this thread....

We can resume the normal posting again...

1 month later
    #1713 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skarv:

Back to what this thread is about.... Creative use of incredibly bad habits (or lack of proper parts) to make a pinball machine work. GI at its best... Diode's fried, connectors hard wired sort of...:

Well at least they sort of did it neatly. It probably would have been less work to just fix it properly.

3 months later
    #1813 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Bad connection at the connector? Just piggyback a pin to the board. (Pins 10 & 12 in pic, kind of hard to see.)
    Ah, screw it. Just solder a wire to the back and wire nut them together.
    Pics out of order, but you get the idea.
    Oh yeah, power supply connectors had the typical hacks.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

That's why I keep a stack of new headers on hand and end up replacing them most of the time. Had a similar wiring hack on an Elektra. They just soldered a couple really long wires to the back of the board instead of the wire nuts.

1 week later
    #1825 5 years ago

Some of the hacks are pretty creative but I sure hope I never see those people working on civil engineering projects.....

1 month later
    #1852 5 years ago
    Quoted from JT-Pinball:

Not really a hack per say.
    [quoted image]

Well the way they did the work I would consider it a hack attempt. At least honorable mention.

2 weeks later
    #1866 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

My first hack!
    [quoted image]
    I needed a 300K Ω resistor. I had 100K Ω resistors. Hey, it seems to work fine and those resistors get plenty of air for cooling!

I hope that is only a temporary hack and you get some of the proper ones in to replace them....

#1893 5 years ago
    Quoted from Drewscruis:

Atleast they used electrical tape. I've found them wrapped with duct tspe before.

And I've seen a couple with tan masking tape. duct tape would have been a step up.

1 week later
    #1907 5 years ago

Previous hacks done to a poor DE board out of a Rocky and Bullwinkle. This has already been completely cleaned up along with a few other hacks and the board is back in service working well again. I have another on the bench that I am almost done with but luckily it didn't quite as many hacks on it....

20180812_203513 (resized).jpg20180812_203513 (resized).jpg20180812_203518 (resized).jpg20180812_203518 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #1916 5 years ago

Just came across this gem while going over a Stern driver board for a friend. Creative use of solder wick but unfortunately a fail. This is now properly repaired and a new connectors installed.

Stern_Hack (resized).jpgStern_Hack (resized).jpg
    3 months later
    #2035 4 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

You know all those comments about operators just doing things to keep the game taking money? I see you, and I raise you:
    https://twitter.com/create_sht/status/1122682652748705792
    Need to xpost this in the horror thread...

You just raised the bar in the hack thread. How is that game even running?

4 weeks later
    #2078 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Who needs a power switch under the game...[quoted image]

No cover plate?

5 months later
    #2256 4 years ago

I received some old pinball boards in trade for repairing an MPU. There were five system 7 displays included that weren't working. No words other than no solder bridge too far...

Three had broken nipples but I can probably save the other two.

IMG_1545 (resized).JPGIMG_1545 (resized).JPGIMG_1532 (resized).JPGIMG_1532 (resized).JPG
    #2259 4 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

salvageable, but were the displays outgassed?

Three had the glass nipple broken off the back so those are gone. Could put replacement glass on those if needed. The other two I'm going to remove all the excess solder, clean the boards, and solder properly with fresh solder.

I've never seen that many solder bridges all at once like this.

2 months later
    #2446 4 years ago
    Quoted from king-pin:

Here's another fairly common one on my Pool Sharks. When the centre post gets loose just drill another hole. Who cares if it's not central or not.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I guess they never thought about the toothpick trick. If they are going to get out the drill at least do it though the original hole and put a T nut on the back and change the post to a threaded one. That would have fixed it and been an upgrade.

What were they thinking??

#2472 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

exactly this. they should have drilled the hole out larger, filled it with a section of dowel rod, sanded it flush, repainted the black and then drilled a new [centered] hole to fix it correctly
    yes, it would have taken a bit longer but the results would have been 10x better

I still think id prefer to have just added a tnut under the original hole and change that center post to one with a matching machine threaded base instead of just one threaded for wood.

3 weeks later
    #2539 4 years ago

I just made one nice credit display for a Pinbot out of two complete hack jobs. The first picture is a board with a brand new display glass that someone had trouble installing properly. It actually worked but was just awful. I had previously picked up a bad credit display with the nipple broken off the back and one of the worst solder jobs I've ever seen. There are so many obvious shorts the person soldering must have had extremely poor eyesight or just didn't have a clue.

I was able to clean off all the excess solder and transfer over the nice display to the board with intact traces and ended up with one nice display.

20200308_123434 (resized).jpg20200308_123434 (resized).jpg20200308_123446 (resized).jpg20200308_123446 (resized).jpg20200308_123504 (resized).jpg20200308_123504 (resized).jpg
    3 weeks later
    #2569 4 years ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

I had a boss that did that, in order to find what ever was bad on a game...
    He would wait tell a puff of smoke would come out of the game...
    "There it is"... he had no patience.

That explains why we see a lot of burned up boards and wiring in this threads and others.....

#2572 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Those keying pins are expensive.[quoted image]

Maybe not expensive but may have not had them. Actually that isn't a bad interim solution while waiting for some to come in. Better than no keying.

#2576 4 years ago
    Quoted from someotherguy:

A toothpick broken off in the key position is cheaper (free at most restaurants!) and when broken off flush, won't interfere with fully seating the connector to the header.
    Richard

Either way it's better than not having it and letting a connector be plugged in backwards!

#2582 4 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

What outlane? [quoted image]

Whoever did that should not be allowed to work on any pinball machine and they need to learn how to play better....

#2593 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

This is on a Bally Freedom that I just brought home.[quoted image]

I'm sure that cost a lot more than the proper lock for that door. What are people thinking??

1 month later
    #2640 3 years ago

I guess you can never have too much capacitance. It was neatly done so I'm sort of impressed. This System 6 PS will be done shortly and get the proper Axial cap that fits on the board.

system6ps (resized).jpgsystem6ps (resized).jpg
    #2644 3 years ago

Picked up a spare Data East sound board for my R & B machine that needed repair. Besides some missing parts I noticed that both voltage regulators were replaced. Immediately pulled off any prior work to start over. They used the correct 7905 for the -5v regulator but instead if a 7805 for the +5v regulator they put in a 2N6107 transistor! Once I get it all sorted out I'll see if that mistake trashed other IC's on the board.

1 month later
    #2700 3 years ago

Have boards in from two different people. The blue board is an early Stern driver. Looks like a TIP went up in smoke. Instead of fixing it apparently it was easier to hack traces to move to a different unused transistor...

The other is a Stern lamp driver board. Someone drilled several hole and added jumpers to move then around. This one came out of a Meteor. Not sure what they were thinking on that one.

20200712_182417 (resized).jpg20200712_182417 (resized).jpg20200712_182501 (resized).jpg20200712_182501 (resized).jpg20200714_124808 (resized).jpg20200714_124808 (resized).jpg20200714_124822 (resized).jpg20200714_124822 (resized).jpg
    #2707 3 years ago
    Quoted from RobDutch:

Capacitance yes, voltage no..
    Soldering is also really bad so this is being taken out.

Maybe they wanted a cap with more ESR so they added it externally?? I guess their motto was if we can't do it right we do it anyway.

1 week later
    #2726 3 years ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

I think that was a factory mod. My Meteor had the same thing.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I think you're right. Just an early board that I hadn't seen before. I just cleaned up the board and left that since it was working.

2 months later
    #2812 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballsoul:

Has anyone seen the videos of a guy repairing everything under the sun with ramen and super glue? Interesting stuff.

Yes. I don't care for the ramen noodles, etc but am impressed with many of his finishing skills. If he used wood bondo on cabinets (maybe filling in lock bar holes) I think he could probably do a good job spotting in the color for a decent repair.

1 month later
    #2893 3 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Something similar happened to me but only one display 6 digit, ouch that's painful.

Someone shipped me some old Williams displays but didn’t wrap them individually and broke off a couple of the glass nipples ruining the displays. Sad since the glass was nice and had board issues that were easily fixed.

1 month later
    #2963 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinball4ever:

Why spend 20 cents on new flipper rubber when you can just take an old crusty piece that broke off and a tube of super glue and fix it? You don't use the back side of the flipper, so you don't need anything there anyway, right?[quoted image]

When I first saw that picture I thought you were going to say they glued on a strip of bacon. They must have been really desperate or too lazy to look for the right part. They would have been better off just sticking on a piece of foam weatherstripping.

1 week later
    #2985 3 years ago

Hair. Impressive or scary. You decide!

9969CEB2-594E-445E-A2F8-A051327635CE (resized).jpeg9969CEB2-594E-445E-A2F8-A051327635CE (resized).jpeg
    2 months later
    #3101 2 years ago

I guess this is what people do when they run out of fuse clips. Going to strip all that off and put the correct fresh fuse clips on the board. That and replace the TIP that recently shorted....

Badfuses (resized).jpgBadfuses (resized).jpg
    #3104 2 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

I've seen much worse, I'd leave the fuse holder.

I've seen much worse too but this is for my own personal game and since I already had the board out and I have a bunch of really good quality fuse clips they have already been changed out. Fixed some cracked solder connections too! Just going to deflux and wash the board after dinner then get it back in the machine.

I let it slide for a while but it was on the list to correct someday and since I finally had to pull the board today was the day.

1 week later
    #3117 2 years ago

One of the worst fuse wiring jobs I’ve ever seen. If you follow the wires you’ll see it.

Luckily the only hacks appear to be with the power and those will all be corrected.

5CD8CBE2-9BF1-4494-AE3E-AEEF0D5180DA (resized).jpeg5CD8CBE2-9BF1-4494-AE3E-AEEF0D5180DA (resized).jpeg
    2 weeks later
    #3129 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Appears to be three fuses in parallel?

Yep. And they could have separated them all out if they had wanted to. I stripped all that out and have the wiring all cleaned up as original. Just added the two fuses to the inputs of the bridges.

I think the issue they were working with on the GI was all due to a bad lamp socket I found by the flippers. It had an internal short in it (occationally) and I put a new socket there to fix that too.

1 week later
    #3141 2 years ago
    Quoted from djblouw:

Ah, that’s why it does t look like a total hack of an install. Good info!

Elektra has a similar switch too I believe.

2 weeks later
    #3177 2 years ago

Found this gem on a Gameplan Sharpshooter yesterday.

20210615_210534 (resized).jpg20210615_210534 (resized).jpg
    2 months later
    #3255 2 years ago

Found on a Bally Space Invaders. That is a use for a protoboard that I wouldn't have expected. Two pieces of circuit board stacked to make a link.

Custom_Link (resized).jpgCustom_Link (resized).jpg
    2 months later
    #3338 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Yes, Steve at PBR has been around since 96! I’ve come across plenty of games that operators replaced the flippers! Even some of the most clueless ops knew how to buy new flippers. This guy was somehow lazy and very creative and dedicated to being so incredibly wrong.

Maybe it was a re-import and it was harder to get parts from overseas.

1 month later
    #3407 2 years ago
    Quoted from Axl:

Found some old pictures of my Whirlwind.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

If I had a Centaur (or Junk Yard) I would seriously think about using a chain for the tilt.

3 weeks later
    #3455 2 years ago

Can't you unbolt the whole housing with rod to take out of the machine? The outside grind that off or cut the rod. Either way definitely get a new shooter rod.

3 months later
    #3534 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Drill the lock? Naw that would be too easy.
    [quoted image]

Haunted House? Maybe they were trying to let the ghosts out....

3 months later
    #3788 1 year ago
    Quoted from sparky672:

This bar was added because the key was lost?
    [quoted image]
    No idea, but it's on a Haunted House listed on eBay (#144067121563) for $12,500! ebay.com link: itm
    In the description, he brags about permanently wiring the MPU to the driver for reliability. I'd post a picture of that too, but he got really hostile when I kindly asked for photos from inside the head.
    [quoted image]

Isn't that the one with the Rusty Shooter rod cover and rusty legs? (at least from the pictures). Didn't know swapping out one of the pop bumper caps with one from a Black hole increased the value so much.... Wonder what it looks like under those yellow half circle mylar pieces?

1 week later
    #3829 1 year ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

Here is a WPC neophyte repair or a revenge repair...I do not know.
    Traces and through holes contacts all torn up. Fun,fun,fun.

And the original bridges were probably fine....

1 week later
    #3843 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I have no idea, wondering too.
    No lamps near to short circuit also, strange...

Probably to make the contacts closer together. Or just bend them like everyone else does.

1 week later
    #3870 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

They modified the game for the kids. Lota of work drilling steel legs.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Better in an easily replaceable set of legs than extra holes in the cabinet....

4 months later
    #4064 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I especially like the ZIF socket that has a notch cut into it to make room for a neighboring socket.
    In all seriousness, this was probably rigged up as a test board of some sort meant for testing chips in batches.

Looks like it may be a Commodore 64 computer. Probably sitting on someone’s test bench that does repairs.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotworkshop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw?tu=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.