(Topic ID: 28788)

Worst hack/repair you ever saw.

By mcclad

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17137452019287598807293974414584 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin-pilot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2192 4 years ago

Hmmm, Do not think these threads are going to match up here.

IMG_3166 (resized).JPGIMG_3166 (resized).JPG
    #2194 4 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

I believe any thread fits, that’s a universal nut.

That is a good name... Universal Nut!

1 week later
    #2215 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

In the 5 1/2 years I worked for a route operator, I carried the Xcelite technician tool kit and three years into it replaced it with Jensen Tools Field Engineers tool kit. Also two old-school cardboard beer cases with one of every coil needed on the route. Coil stops, coil brackets, Flipper pawls, coil sleeves, a large box of springs, shooter rods, shooter housings, flipper buttons, joy sticks, Every contact blade and point type imaginable, Bumper ring & Rods. A nice hardware kit with 4-40, 6-32, 8-32 and 10-24/10-32 screws/bolts nuts flat and lock washers. Remember, this was prior to Home Despot/Blowes so hardware stores were not open late nor were many at all on Sundays.
    Also had a shoe box with an assortment of plastic parts including every flipper plastic housing we had on route, Bumper bodies, rollover buttons (all types), drop targets (all types including Game Plan garbage) Also light sockets not to mention fuses and every incandescent lamp type. Including flourescent tubes. Not just F15T8's either. Had to have them for the Juke/Jute boxes and cigarette machines. An unlit machine doesn't make money. The silly 25 or 40 standard incandescent bulbs for the Galaxians & Pac-Man machines. These parts were stored in two milk crates with boxes nested inside. My trunk was pretty full.
    I also carried all seven Bally AID/Solid State board part kits as I would sometimes repair a board on location if the kids in the game area were not too obnoxious. Or, I'd get to use the bowling mechanic's workbench as I carried soldering irons, solder wick and a Soldapult solder sucker.
    If it was an MPU issue and it was not fixed in 15 minutes, the board went back to the shop for a swap as we had had many spares. I also stayed in the shop two days a week repairing boards. Sound boards were brought back but the game remained operating. Did not work well on Gorgar, Centaur & EBD.
    We would only pull a game if we could not fix the board, Under warranty for 90 or 180 days as cut-throat operators would search for broken games and offer to put theirs in as a working game. We had CONtracts with most of our locations though. Also, we would pull heavily damaged games from break-ins. I'd say pulls on games we could not fix in two days was maybe ten that I went out on the calls for. Probably 40 during my time there by everyone.

That had to be fun times. The Good 'ol days.

5 months later
    #2583 4 years ago

pinball abuse right there

1 month later
    #2638 3 years ago

Calling that a spring is a stretch. LOL

2 weeks later
    #2679 3 years ago

Someone took some time on the angle cut however!

1 week later
    #2691 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Guy decided it's better to blow coil dust all over the relays because he didnt like the hold relay getting hot.
    [quoted image]

Now that is funny!

3 months later
    #2793 3 years ago

If a CPR is available I would always lean towards this option. The main reason is it is the closest to OEM look and feel. Installing a hardtop is like a bandaid to me.

Many times a pin needs new standup targets, switches, etc anyway so why not do it with a complete new playfield if it is available. The extra work needed is worth it.

Don't think I have ever seen High_End_Pins install a Hardtop.

8 months later
    #3157 2 years ago

The ingenuity in this thread makes Mgyver look like an rookie.

Here is my contribution...

IMG_2691 (resized).JPGIMG_2691 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
    #3239 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Eightball deluxe socket repair for backglass lamp
    [quoted image]

Makes changing bulbs a little tedious

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin-pilot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw?tu=pin-pilot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.