Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,669 posts
  • 733 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 314 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240321_180554 (resized).jpg
    68714440943__356B9A98-CA54-4C2A-A85D-8E5C24E9F1AA (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3073 3 years ago

So that's the new Steampunk shooter I've been hearing about. They come pre-rusted. How cool is that? Well worth the $179 they're asking.

2 months later
    #3230 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

..brought on by POOR DESIGN in the first place! Let's place the blame fair and square where it belongs

Easily fixed without any need for fans.

https://www.pinballlife.com/lotr-special-flipper-coil-090-5020-2ot.html

Single wind flipper coils get hotter than dual wound coils, but I don't recall having a problem on any recent titles. On LOTR, you eventually couldn't make the middle ring (ramp) shot. It was painfully obvious the flipper weren't strong enough. I haven't seen any single title since then that has shown the same symptom. Even with the recent weak-ass default flipper power on JJP games, you can still at least barely make all the shots.

tl;dr if you can make all the shots in your game after playing for 30 minutes or more, you don't need fans

#3231 2 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

A non scarring hack at least...

I've seen that a few times. Usually dad sheepishly explains he did it for the kids.

As long as there's evidence of kids in the house, I say no prob. Then I clean or replace the ring. I also offer to upgrade rubber bands blocking outlanes to actual rubber rings. They're usually down for that sweet (and cheap) upgrade.

#3233 2 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Even those coils get hot after a long game and lose power...

I've played at least three games with them and haven't felt fade. You have to jack up the game to 7 degrees for them to play right. Actually too strong at 6.5 degrees. Will break all the little toys on the playfield either way, but way more fun to play with the strong coils.

I put the same coils in my Ripley's (also at 7 degrees, lower flippers only) and never felt fade. They're about the strongest single wind flipper coils available.

3 months later
    #3300 2 years ago

That's almost a perfect hack. Notice how they aligned the text on each 'rubber'. The R in produce is at the tip of both flippers. That didn't happen by coincidence.

Unfortunately major deductions for not pushing the left 'rubber' down far enough and the right 'rubber' is installed with the text upsidedown. Nice try.

2 months later
    #3347 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Someone ran a wood screw into the bracket which is still in there.

That's the pinball equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot. The only thing that would make it better is knowing he did it while the game was powered up, so he immediately realized that he made a bad decision (and possibly needed a ride to the hospital). Either way, dude should get some kind of award. That's an epic fail. Thanks for sharing.

1 week later
    #3352 2 years ago

Nice. Is it a reimport?

What little can be seen of that playfield looks spectacular. Even the magnet core looks minty. Was the game locked in an air conditioned vault for 20 years?

#3357 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballGalore:

This game started its life in the UK (importer service sticker on back box with service dates. then Germany (DM slot, German cards on apron) then Israel which is where I found it, and also where I live.

Saw a story recently saying soccer is now more popular than hockey in the US, but I had a feeling it wasn't from here. Confirmed.

1 month later
    #3444 2 years ago

I didn't operate games pre-internet, but things were different then. Games weren't left out for more than two or three years, so replacement parts were more likely to be available. You got your parts from the same people you got you games from, your distributor. The distributor had all the parts books and received parts directly from the manufacturers.

Back then, distributors only dealt with operators. Home buyers weren't a thing yet. Many distributors charged a one time fee to buy from them. Once onboard, it was to their benefit to keep their customers (operators) happy.

1 week later
    #3450 2 years ago
    Quoted from tjw998:

You can cut whats left of the rubber away and use a file to get the end of the shooter rob back to the right shape, put a new rubber tip on and be good to go.

It's going to come up short after all that filing. Unfortunately, to replace it, you still need to file it down to get it out of the housing. File it down, remove it, install new one. Also, as mentioned not a hack. Just poor maintenance.

2 weeks later
    #3505 2 years ago
    Quoted from Johnnybee:

It needed a heat sink so someone used a brass plumbing adapter.

Besides that sweet brass heat sink, I like that row of fuses. It looks like the evolution of fuses over the last forty years. From the old timey spring loaded fuses to the latest and greatest squiggly fast blows. That rectifier board has it all. Should be in the Smithsonian.

4 months later
    #3566 1 year ago

That's spectacular. Awesome solder job too. 5 stars.

We really should have a vote for the top 10 hacks in this thread. Some of them are amazing on a number of levels.

1 month later
    #3683 1 year ago
    Quoted from koji:

The Duracell scares me more than the hacked connector.

I pulled Duracell's of the same vintage, month and year, out of an EATPM last week. It didn't go as well. Rob Anthony will have to spend some quality time with the CPU board before it will ever work again. Customer had no idea game had batteries. Twist: Duracell's in poster's game are DC Ultras and Elvira had DC Powerchecks, where you could test the battery by touching two spots on the battery.

Also, shocked to see how minty CN1 and CN2 look. Those are usually the first to get toasty.

IMG_20220815_143940_0 (resized).jpgIMG_20220815_143940_0 (resized).jpg
    #3711 1 year ago
    Quoted from Elysiom:

Fresh off the market, might not be the worst but it's hilarious.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/141134
    [quoted image]

'She is a loathsome, offensive brute. Yet I can’t look away.'

#3797 1 year ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Seriously?!?!?!?! If we’re gonna ban flavored cigarettes and cigars, let’s ban fucking duct tape also (you should only be able to buy it if you have an HVAC license-just like refrigerant).

That was obviously done on a Friday. A professional would've snipped off the ends of the zip ties closer.

#3811 1 year ago
    Quoted from GoldenOreos:

I really need to get to storage and take a picture of our Haunted House boards. someone drilled holes on the boards edge connectors and added .156 molex pins/connectors. I'll say I was like wtf, but the game works great and has never had any board related problems lol.

When in doubt, drill. That's my policy.

2 weeks later
    #3848 1 year ago

Axles on spinner are probably tweaked, causing the spinner not to rest at the right position, mostly vertical. Clips add a little weight to pull the target into the right position. Easy enough to test. Take off clips and tape and see how the target sits.

#3858 1 year ago

When I occasionally need to replace one bad connector with two, I use a Sharpie to make a mark on both housings where they match up when installed. Quick reminder for the brain. Also, if either housing needs to be trimmed down, use the trimmed side on the outside, not next to the other housing. Smooth factory sides next to each other when installed. Keys, toothpick or whatever, should always be replaced on female housings. Tape or super glue isn't a good idea. Mark them in a way you'll remember.

1 week later
    #3883 1 year ago

If it's roughly the same shape and has the same number of legs, 30% of the time it will work 100%.

#3887 1 year ago

Bridge rectifiers are far and away my favorite electronic component. So simple, yet so powerful. They take wild ass alternating current, always going up and down, never sure where it's going to stop, and convert into amazing smooth direct current, which is so much more useful. And despite being larger than it's neighboring components, it has only four simple diodes inside. Not much to break and very easy to diagnose when one diode does occasionally fail.

I, for one, feel we should erect statues and monuments dedicated to bridge rectifiers. Forget the Golden Gate Bridge. We should rename it the Bridge Rectifier Bridge. I'll start a petition. Bridge rectifiers: The real unsung heroes of pinball.

#3889 1 year ago
    Quoted from ajfclark:

I wouldn't call it smooth DC. It looks like this:

I don't usually refer to AC power as wild-ass either, but I was exaggerating to make a point. Do you have a favorite component?

#3895 1 year ago
    Quoted from Redfive05:

This feels like it needs its own separate thread.

Don't even get me started on Darlington transistors. I could tell you some stories.

1 month later
    #3909 1 year ago

See if you can spot at least two hacks on the board below. Solenoid driver board from a Bobby Orr Power Play. Only issue on the game currently is down center post coil doesn't fire in test or during play.

First issue is painfully obvious. Never make this mistake while doing board work as it never works. Ever. Second issue is more subtle, game specific, and frankly, makes no sense at all. I'm still scratching my head.

IMG_20221101_151350_8 (resized).jpgIMG_20221101_151350_8 (resized).jpg
    #3911 1 year ago
    Quoted from Skidave:

More
    Q3 wrong part? Q17 installed backwards?

Mostly right. Q17 was definitely installed backwards. Correct replacement part, tests good with a meter, just couldn't quite get the orientation right. So close.

I believe Q3 is a correct replacement, but I stopped checking when I realized this game doesn't use Q3. Maybe they took it out to use in another game and stuck something similar looking in to make it look good?

#3920 1 year ago

I want to see the other side of it. Solder connections don't look factory. Likely not the first varistor installed in that game. Sleeves look factory. It has what looks like a nice grill mark on the left side, but otherwise looks ok. Is the back blown out, or is this the replacement for the one that exploded before it and it's working fine? Pic of the back side please. We need more details.

#3924 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pintopia:

Ask and you shall receive….

Spectacular. A complete one side blowout. It gave it's life to save that game. Outstanding. I've replaced two blown out thermistors on WPC games over the years, but never a varistor. Keep one in the tool bag just in case.

#3925 1 year ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

See if you can spot at least two hacks on the board below.

Went back to this game today with new Q17 installed wondering a little if the earlier backwards transistor might've done some damage upstream when the game was powered up previously. Worked fine. Those SDB were an excellent design.

1 month later
    #3958 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

These "ops had to do what they had to" excuses are BS to me.

You shouldn't assume all the hacks you see here were done by operators. You also might want to consider the age of the game in question and how many hands it's passed through before you saw a picture of it.

When I had games out, I serviced and cleaned them once a week, whether they needed it or not. More and more operators are hobbyist today, as I was. Location maintenance has never been better. Don't be lazy and assume every hack you see here was done by an operator.

1 week later
    #3976 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Not a biggie, but still it surprised me when I took of the apron on a Royal Rumble (WWF) ...
    [quoted image]

In my professional opinion, a bamboo skewer would've been a much better choice to solve that problem. Just sayin'.

#3980 1 year ago

Fish paper is for suckers when you have a toolbox drawer full of eraser heads.

1 week later
    #3993 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Backside of my Congo driver board.

Screenshot_20230118-191259~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20230118-191259~2 (resized).png
    3 weeks later
    #4076 1 year ago
    Quoted from KenH:

Pull up the PF glass and the side rails and glass all come up together. There were some games actually designed like this.

Hurricane wasn't one of them. I believe there's a plastic piece that should be there, which you can see in the pic linked below. Factory piece is likely partially broken or they couldn't find a correct replacement, so they used something similar (for the glass) and put the hinge on top. You can probably find the correct part number for that part in the WMS parts book on Planetary website. Availability is going to be tough.

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1257&picno=21796&zoom=1

6 months later
    #4365 7 months ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Why? IIRC, those are the direct wired inputs (not part of the switch matrix). Not sure what they are trying to accomplish there....

So that the minimum wage slacker working at the change desk can free stuck balls, but can't give his buddies 40 free service credits. We didn't have cameras everywhere back then.

Looks like they switched specific wires (switches) rather than just the ground for all switches, but would have to look it up to be sure.

1 week later
    #4382 7 months ago
    Quoted from alf_1968:

I can't explain how fuses remains intact...

Knowing how crappy of fuse clips Data East used, there might not be continuity between outside fuses on top or bottom. The fuse ends look shiny, but I'm not so sure about those clips.

1 week later
    #4425 6 months ago

Underwear elastic will last a lot long than a rubber band.

Also, check that lower cabinet for a pile of broken rubber bands.

#4430 6 months ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

Why replace the broken coil mounting bracket when you can just throw a hideous weld on it??

What game is it from? You need to remember that just 20 years ago, there was no Marco website or any other website selling pinball parts. So if you didn't have a distributor in your area with the part you needed, you were out of luck. That was back when you had to buy your way into a distributor. People off the street couldn't just walk in and buy parts. Had to have an account with the distributor. Not to single anyone out, but I think a lot of people forget just how hard it used to be to get parts. Even simple things like coil stops

I want to say that weld looks horrible, but I'm not a welder. Did it work?

#4434 6 months ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

And of course I understand parts availability, but Marco and others did have websites 20 years ago with stuff like this available.

Marco website came online in 2004, 19 years ago. Pinball Life website started in 2005. Pinball Resource was online before that, but that was it for parts in this country 20 years ago.

https://web.archive.org/web/20230000000000*/Marcospecialties.com

#4440 6 months ago
    Quoted from statictrance:

...up to that point this somehow worked while epoxied in place?

I like how they added the finishing nail between the shaft and pawl, just to be sure. Epoxy works 99% of the time, finishing nail makes sure it works 100% of the time. Always keep finishing nails in your toolbox.

1 week later
    #4480 6 months ago
    Quoted from Frezzno:

Feels like a previous owner solved some issues i guess.

That AFM has seen some shit. Deserves a purple heart.

Doesn't look especially worn, more abused. How is the scoop? I'm tempted to recommend a proper burial for the playfield, but not just yet.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw?tu=phishrace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.