(Topic ID: 28788)

Worst hack/repair you ever saw.

By mcclad

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17137452019287598807293974414584 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pacmanretro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#457 8 years ago
    Quoted from balzofsteel:

I get it. Bells are loud and annoying so they get disconnected.
    wthbell.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
    Now for the part I don't get - that is a plug there at the coil an inch from where the wire was cut.

That's Great

Not the first time I've seen it...picked up a machine from a guy once...well, all the em guts. either cab was trashed or (dare I say it) virtualized....
    Anyway, he took liberty of taking apart before I got there, and cut off every jones plug to head like an inch or two from connectors. even said he thought it was weird they didn't have connectors!

1 year later
    #995 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Looks like someone substituted a DIP chip for a failed SMD chip.

1 week later
    #1011 7 years ago

Maybe lost his cutters but knew he had to be careful about it shorting on backside.

1 month later
    #1038 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

People don't know that Jones plugs are plugs. Had a seller recently tell me "all the wires are soldered to the head, bring a wire cutter"

I've been told that one....

Quoted from skywalker:

OMFG, I cant explain this one

And had to deal with this one too

2 weeks later
    #1069 6 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

That's not horrible. Here is a factory bulb socket used on 6803 games:

Supposed to have one of those old school round screw in florescents I believe...but never see them with it...prob hard to find.

#1072 6 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

You just use an LED bulb. Works great and no heat. I have one in my Strange Science.

I found an old source and bought several florescents once...lol. prob better for glass to use the led for sure!

#1074 6 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Except for Strange Science (which is what this game is - you can tell by the small solid state relay board). SS flashes the bulb rapidly with the neon topper. It would destroy a fluorescent bulb.

Interesting. Never considered that. The manual for Strange Science specifically calls out the florescent.

1 week later
    #1091 6 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

They're called circlines and came in 15 and 27 watt sizes (15 used in Bally pins). Have not seen them in stores in years.

Always scared me that, since its a normal socket, someone could screw any wattage incandescent in that they wanted.

1 week later
    #1110 6 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

OOF that color coding is certainly a guessing game!

Nah...red for fire starter. Not hard at all.

1 week later
    #1137 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

I've seen a few hacks in the past couple of years, but none that I thought worthy of posting here. And this week I find both my favorite hack and least favorite hack on the same game, a Williams Liberty Bell.

Apparently, the owner liked his rubbers tight!

Least Favorite:

There is a 'crispy critter' in this pic as well...

See, the nice things about that bungee include the fact that you can change them without removing anything, and they come in a decent variety of colors; So, everbody can customize their machines!!!

#1144 6 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Quick release rubbers ! Gotta luv it !!

Uhmm... ..... wait, never mind...I better just go hang in the basement for a bit.

1 month later
    #1267 6 years ago
    Quoted from rviguet:

Not the worst hack I have seen, but I found this floating woofer mod in the R&B I picked up off of an operator on route. Bonus points the alligator clip wiring harness breakaway feature for when the woofer drops through the hole.
    Oh, and of course there is the ubiquitous operator installed wire nut mod in the head.

Ya...he really should have used a sparkOmatic brand speaker!

#1278 6 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Would I direct solder a pin to get a game running in the field when out of pins? Heck yeah and I did. Would I do it in a way that leaves exposed hot wires hidden in the middle of a bundle of wires that can potentially short against something else? Hell no.
    Would I secure a coil using packing tape and pennies? Probably not but I can say for sure that if I ever did it would just be for the afternoon while I ran to get what was needed for a proper fix.
    So ingenious field hack to get a game running? Maybe... but also terrible in that those pennies could have easily fell and shorted the coils lugs, the game still didn't play right.
    Heck... even just a couple weeks ago ran into a game where a target bracket broke. The owner has no spare available we just zip tied a flipper rubber into the hole so balls wouldn't jam then jumpered to a neighbor in the same column to keep the mode accessible for players. Got the game through the show and back home where it could be properly repaired.
    So yeah hacks happen all the time... doesn't change the fact that they are still hacks and should be fixed properly asap.

Pretty much sums it up...

Thread is an enjoy the pics thread about hacks....a hack is a hack whether good/bad, permanent/temporary, or by you/someone else. Yes, parts available sometimes is issue were you have no choice to keep it going. Doesn't mean you have to do a poor job....but hack is hack.

Why are we debating about levels of hacks? Lol

Lets just see more pics of the horror

#1281 6 years ago
    Quoted from lyonsden:

From the ToM Thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-club/page/39#post-3919491
    15A car fuse soldered to a GI fuse socket on a WPC board.

Well...see....this is what happens when Radio Shack (as declined as they were) goes under......you have to buy your fuses at AutoZone car parts!

#1283 6 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Autozone has appropriate fuses, this was just plain lazy......

I thought those wpc boards were the smaller fuses (5x15 instead of 5x20 I believe).

Didn't realize autozone carried smaller glass fuses (or ones rated over 32V for that matter). Never noticed those at mine.

#1295 6 years ago
    Quoted from balzofsteel:

Looks like someone left the pin too close to a horny grandfather clock and nature did something unnatural.

Or, maybe cabinet got damaged in a bar fight and sight repair tech only had a grandfather clock on truck to fix (hack / repair) it?

#1298 6 years ago

Wow...those are some rough solder connections on top of it!

#1305 6 years ago
    Quoted from algrande:

from a "FULLY RESTORED" Whirlwind.

Maybe another case of HUO?

#1324 6 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Custom Christmas cookie tin face plate

NOW I SEE POOH!

9b1ade89e0925167034bb9f0368b14a7be9eba6b8d39f0b79f33d042370cde06 (resized).jpg9b1ade89e0925167034bb9f0368b14a7be9eba6b8d39f0b79f33d042370cde06 (resized).jpg

3 months later
    #1434 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

So not even close to worst. But second machine in a row I bought where some idiot put posts in the outlanes. At least on the first one, they used real pin posts. This one they used wood screws with rubber tube and a couple of post rubber rings. Come on people!!!!

Id they were able to get real pinball rubbers, I don't.comprehend why they wouldn't have at least just used large runbers to go from post on sling to a post on section above and just blocked outlane without damage....and probably would have been less work...

3 weeks later
    #1475 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Looks like she could hold something else like that.

A friend of mine used to do solder work at capcom. I'll have to ask her how she held hers

3 months later
    #1691 6 years ago

If that's the case, lets hope the parts they pulled off the board to repair were removed nicer. I mean, WOW.

3 months later
    #1774 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Working on a Magic City and they intstalled a small push button with 2 wires running to the reset relay coil. Start game, push button and ball. All this because they had the roll tilt ball in the game. Too lite to activate the switch....

Many people LOVE how machines come with a rack to keep spare balls in!

2 months later
    #1851 5 years ago

Quoted from ForceFlow:They sure spared no expense with jumper wires

That's in case of field repairs

3 weeks later
    #1900 5 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Who needs a nail when you can use duct tape? Here's a game I bought that had duct tape covering the gobble hole.
    [quoted image]

That wasn't a hack. That was a vintage mod.

5 months later
    #2052 4 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I thought plan b was a pill for when your rubber broke not a zip tie

If you had the zip tie tight enough
    Wait....never mind....

2 weeks later
    #2061 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

The previous repair was within specs.

Even for required wattage?

3 weeks later
    #2104 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

Whelp. Better light that machine on fire.[quoted image]

john goodman arachnaphobia main (Custom) (resized).jpgjohn goodman arachnaphobia main (Custom) (resized).jpg
    3 months later
    #2125 4 years ago

Hey now! That's called a fuseable link

2 weeks later
    #2170 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I wonder if there has ever been an incident where someone used an actual crutch for a leg on a pinball machine? Instant award!

I feel like you're offering up a challenge Chad

#2171 4 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

Loose your wrench, make sure to look here.[quoted image]

Lol, I left a pair of vise grips on a rusty back leveler after adjusting, in case I needed to adjust more....finally found my vise grips like 2 years later

1 month later
    #2299 4 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

Maybe to allow noise to escape to make it louder? That’s too bad because the head isn’t in awful shape either.

Don't be silly!

It's so you can flip it over and have wiring run out other end; in case you want to make it a reverse wedge head!

2 weeks later
    #2357 4 years ago

Maybe they were just adding looped test points

1 month later
    #2466 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

With that method, you'll get ripples and twists in the cable.
    With a proper coiling method, the cable will be perfectly straight and flat when uncoiled, even if it's been coiled up for a long period of time.

I have a friend who gets frustrated with me because I complain and ask him NOT to help with cords when he is helping, for this same reason. I replaced an extension cord that I use indoors a lot after he coiled it up a couple times and got twists all in it....I think he thought I was nuts with my OCD (probably am, lol).

Between boating a little when I was younger and handling lines in auto body shops, I have a tendency to get kind of anal about kinks and twists in lines. Even things like video game controllers. I always coiled my cables; not wrapped around.

2 weeks later
    #2534 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Using a rubber band that has since deteriorated as a credit up device. Connected to the reject button.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Should probably just fix rubber band break with small piece of duct tape....or some dollar store plasticy electrical tape.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pacmanretro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw?tu=pacmanretro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.