(Topic ID: 28788)

Worst hack/repair you ever saw.

By mcclad

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17137452019287598807293974414584 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mk1mod0.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#190 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwinn1812:

From a Flash Gordon I was restoring.

That's pretty damn clever!

#205 9 years ago

Another perfectly fun thread shot to shit...

#282 9 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

This dime was acting as a support for the ramp on my Hurricane. I mean come on. For that dime you could have gotten some washers that would have done the same thing

Destruction of govt property. Sending the police to your location now...
    Nice one! LOL

4 weeks later
    #309 9 years ago

So I'm troubleshooting a GI problem....

IMG_2303.JPGIMG_2303.JPG IMG_2305.JPGIMG_2305.JPG IMG_2307.JPGIMG_2307.JPG
    1 month later
    #336 9 years ago

How about best repair made to the worst hack? Got this board for cheap-cheap and made it work. The "fiberglass repair" was already there, I just finished the job.

IMG_9872.JPGIMG_9872.JPG IMG_9875.JPGIMG_9875.JPG IMG_9878.JPGIMG_9878.JPG
    2 months later
    #368 9 years ago

Well, necessity IS the Mother of Invention, right? While replacing the inline drops on my EBD I came across this. Not sure how it started life... maybe a large staple? I'd love to know just how long it had been in there. Was still doing the job when I pulled it.

IMG_3653.JPGIMG_3653.JPG IMG_3658.JPGIMG_3658.JPG
    3 weeks later
    #426 8 years ago

Whoah, whoah whoah!!! Hey slick, not so fast. You might just destroy the world's first pinball with built-in AI! I mean, have you fired this thing up in a machine yet? For all we know it'll say "good morning, Dave"...or "shall I open the pod bay doors, now" ...or best of all, "would you like to play a game?"

2 months later
    #471 8 years ago

Dear God why? He doubled/tripled the workload? Not to mention the direct pin solder method... Wow.

3 weeks later
    7 months later
    #669 8 years ago

Why buy plastic when a toothpick will do? Brilliant! Seems to be a running theme in this pin...
    IMG_6886_(resized).JPGIMG_6886_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6885_(resized).JPGIMG_6885_(resized).JPG

#676 8 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Actually a common and well known hack recommended when you are out of plastic keys. Better to key it with something non conductive than to not key it at all. Obvious also is that connector wiring is terrible though and needs repinned as well.

IMG_6887_(resized).JPGIMG_6887_(resized).JPG

#684 8 years ago
    Quoted from skywalker:

Beefed up legs

amtt008_(8)_(resized).JPG

You'll probably see something similar to this when I assemble the acrylic Golden Gate. That thing is stupid heavy in wood.

#693 8 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Let me guess, the flippers were bare plastic?

Right? No, but they did scrape down another ring to loop across the outhole to the right of the flippers behind the lower pop bumpers. (Future Spa) That way it was thin enough that the ball could roll past it to the flipper while it prevented early departure from the play field.

3 months later
    #765 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tallon:

I'm sure this is just a fuse right?

I picture some poor operator, late at night going "My Kingdom for some scre.... wait a sec. I've got zip strips!!!"

4 weeks later
    1 month later
    #817 7 years ago
    Quoted from adams_arcade:

Doctor who left flipper ... Grrr

That is the funniest thing I have seen all day. Nice!!

Quoted from ChilePin:

Cables soldered to the board

Typical GI toast! Someone needs to send me one of these so I can start making replacement sets.

Shawn

1 week later
    #829 7 years ago

Replacing connectors on a Bally Future Spa when I came across this. So I will reuse the housings because there is no reason not to. Unless they're toasty crispy I usually do. Easy enough to pull the old crimps, clip them off and put on a new. Wire by wire, slot by slot.
    IMG_8365 (resized).JPGIMG_8365 (resized).JPG

Obviously it was well overdue.
    IMG_8367 (resized).JPGIMG_8367 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8366 (resized).JPGIMG_8366 (resized).JPG

And if you haven't seen it yet...
    IMG_8372 (resized).JPGIMG_8372 (resized).JPG

I'm picturing some random dude cursing and bitching about how hard it is to solder these little bastard crimps on the end of the wire and then insert them in the hole. I have to wonder; has he graduated from soldering the wires directly to the rectifier board or is that the next step? Eliminate the crimps and go for the direct contact? Oh, and heaven forbid we don't have the standard op fix of toothpicks for a key! Not a hack if it works, right?
    IMG_8373 (resized).JPGIMG_8373 (resized).JPG

2 months later
    #866 7 years ago

Typical operator fix. If it works, it's not a hack, right? I can imagine it would be tough to perform this repair on site. Fun enough to do it on a workbench with a good vice. Roll pins are awesome but can be a son-of-a-gun to replace.

IMG_8586 (resized).JPGIMG_8586 (resized).JPG

IMG_8585 (resized).JPGIMG_8585 (resized).JPG

1 month later
    #896 7 years ago
    Quoted from pindel:

Something about the doorbell. One is from the 50's, saw it on twilight zone

Stop! Stop! My sides are killin' me!!

2 weeks later
    #907 7 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Not the worse hack compared to many in this thread, but it is a hack. this is a Stern Hot Hand I recently bought. Now I have to try and figure out where all these wires go.

Yikes. Too much mess there. You definitely got some work cut out for you. I would start out with a fresh rectifier board. I like the one GPE sells. Very solid. Good luck!

Verify the wiring in the games' schematic, but this should be pretty close.

Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

#910 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Even suggested by the Bally & Stern service schools as not every technician carried connectors, pins and the proper crimp tool in the late '70's to mid '80's....

As I read this I'm trying to picture some poor tech in a dark arcade fixing the big money maker of the week as the owner/operator is breathing down his neck. I imagine it would be a lot quicker and easier to just solder to the board than trim/strip/crimp/plug all the wires.

2 months later
    #1032 7 years ago
    Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Probably didn't even take it out of the back box.

That pic is like those internet click-bait meme things - "When you see it, you'll poop yourself!" And yeah, he probably didn't take it out. Might have been an on location type repair.

#1034 7 years ago

Speaking of typical quick on-site location repair...

IMG_9100 (resized).JPGIMG_9100 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9101 (resized).JPGIMG_9101 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9102 (resized).JPGIMG_9102 (resized).JPG

A lifetime of hits, eh? But now for the real winner!
    IMG_9105 (resized).JPGIMG_9105 (resized).JPG

And an oldie but goodie!
    IMG_9107 (resized).JPGIMG_9107 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
    #1055 6 years ago
    Quoted from balzofsteel:

Seller says pry bar "sounds good".

Ding, ding ding!!! We have a winner! LOL

3 weeks later
    #1083 6 years ago
    Quoted from superJackpot:

Not the worst but a hack nonetheless... with coil backwards, shoddy wiring...

I... umm... just... aah.... rip it all out and start from scratch. That's my solution.

1 week later
    #1100 6 years ago

To someone who has never seen a Jones plug it doesn't look like a plug.

#1112 6 years ago

I once spent a ridiculous amount of time troubleshooting the electrical system of a 45' sport fisher. The wiring seemed to change color inside every bulkhead pass through. I'm pretty certain someone did that on purpose. I couldn't figure it out until I had a helper pulling on the wires as I labeled them. Probably part of the reason I am going bald. But I digress...

I once owned a Duotron that had all of the wiring to the head cut through. Came that way. It looked pretty much like the ones pictured above.

#1118 6 years ago
    Quoted from polyacanthus:

did they just not know how to operate their cutters?

I would guess they did not realize there were holes there? And soldered it on like a surface mount component? Just a guess...

1 month later
    #1222 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Was that game bought down south?

Really, dude? Can't we just say there are stupid owners out there everywhere? I come to Pinside to escape the tired stereotypes. Thanks for that.

Shawn

#1234 6 years ago

That foil appears to be about a 40 amp fuse or so! Does the screw stick out the other side of the flipper button?

1 week later
    #1279 6 years ago

New to me - bought some boards to rehab and resell and didn't look closely enough at the pictures. Apparently we ordered the wrong part or just went with what the local Radio Shack carried. Not one, but two of the five had this mod performed. Did it work? Sure! is it hack-ish? Yep. Someone out there may even recognize the work...

IMG_9536 (resized).JPGIMG_9536 (resized).JPG

IMG_9537 (resized).JPGIMG_9537 (resized).JPG

IMG_9538 (resized).JPGIMG_9538 (resized).JPG

#1285 6 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

sure looks like it worked.

yup! And I can't help but picture some guy in a little back room shop hitting these boards with a dremel and getting a face full of fibers...

1 week later
    #1297 6 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Inside the head of a strikes and spares that I picked up...

Aw nuts! Wire nuts that is... Too many connection points there!

Shawn

1 week later
    #1325 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Don't worry, they will make more.

Yeah they will! And they are good at it! At least this guy didn't think to cut slots like the last guy...

IMG_9597 (resized).JPGIMG_9597 (resized).JPG

IMG_9598 (resized).JPGIMG_9598 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #1335 6 years ago
    Quoted from AMBoggs:

Space Station ramp fixed with a coffee can

I recommend upgrading while you have it out. Ditch the "Regular" ramp and go for the "Super" ramp!

Shawn

2 months later
    #1401 6 years ago

Bally 4-inline DT assembly. Apparently I'll be fabricating new pieces tomorrow. Unless someone can point out where they might be available.

Shawn

IMG_9928 (resized).JPGIMG_9928 (resized).JPG

IMG_9929 (resized).JPGIMG_9929 (resized).JPG

#1404 6 years ago
    Quoted from Drewscruis:

I might have a few spare parts drop target assembly's.

That would be awesome! Just need 2 of the bracket guide, um, thingys. Not a clue what to call them. I will gladly pay shipping if you can spare them. Thanks!

Shawn

#1406 6 years ago

Bingo! Knew there had to be a name. Went looking for the exploded diagram last night but must have been too tired to find it.

Shawn

IMG_9930 (resized).JPGIMG_9930 (resized).JPG

#1407 6 years ago

I can dupe them in the machine shop at work if not. Not really that complicated.

#1409 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tallon:

Pretty sure making everyone hungry for Panda is a party foul though

Sorry! They just opened a new one on the base. It is literally "on the way home." As for finding these, nevermind. I whipped out a couple in our machine shop in about 20 minutes. Good to go.

Shawn

#1411 6 years ago
    Quoted from ajfclark:

p-7939-1 Nut & Spring Bracket?

I started perusing the entire thread you referenced and began panicking that the one I have is wrong. It came from a Dolly Parton but thankfully is the exact match for the one in EBD. I suspect the only real difference between the "left" and "right" models is the top plate and the thing I'm replacing.

1 month later
    #1476 6 years ago
    Quoted from algrande:

I found the soldering iron that a lot of operators used for board repairs!

I have a similar one at work. When we bend up big sheet metal drip pans we use it to solder up all the corners and seams. Works like a champ and I use my welding gauntlets when I handle it. Too much potential for disaster there!

Shawn

4 weeks later
    #1580 6 years ago

New in the shop, get 'em while they're hot! You know you want one...

excusesmug_mockup_Handle-on-Left_15oz (resized).pngexcusesmug_mockup_Handle-on-Left_15oz (resized).png

#1583 6 years ago

Only for lefties like me! Actually, my logo is on the other side, but there is a rewrite in progress. Much more baloney to add and the logo is coming off.

#1591 6 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I am just trying to justify your reasoning in leaving out the classic “JD is a $1400 game folks”. Lol

Working on ver 2.0

#1598 6 years ago

Ver 2.0 now up in the shop and horrendously overpriced...

2excuse_mockup_Handle-on-Left_11oz (resized).png2excuse_mockup_Handle-on-Left_11oz (resized).png

2excuse_mockup_Handle-on-Right_11oz (resized).png2excuse_mockup_Handle-on-Right_11oz (resized).png

2 months later
    #1686 6 years ago
    Quoted from gregh:

Does this count? Holy hell

Counts times 10. Perhaps someone convinced him the red spade connectors are fuses? Just a thought...

#1692 6 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Still trying to figure out just how the top of the board is so hacked up for U49.

Let me help you...

"Desoldering tool"
    IMG_0367 (resized).JPGIMG_0367 (resized).JPG

2 months later
    #1751 5 years ago

Did a repair at a customer's house this past weekend. Couldn't really stop and take pictures but you'll get the idea.

First we resolved the non-working slingshot -
    IMG_0554 (resized).JPGIMG_0554 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0555 (resized).JPGIMG_0555 (resized).JPG

Next we made the sketchy GI a little more solid -
    IMG_0556 (resized).JPGIMG_0556 (resized).JPG

And finally I put one of these on the CPU where there had been one of those giant wire-wound cement encased power resistors like you find on a rectifier board. Yikes. Yes, it worked and probably had been for years.
    IMG_0557 (resized).JPGIMG_0557 (resized).JPG

Shawn

#1753 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

and the one you removed was "overkill"?

And then some.

10 months later
    #2073 4 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

I'd of just flipped the coin entrance plate around so it was blank, but this custom cut block off plate is a first for me.

I've seen brushed stainless blank plates in coin doors before, but not a "custom" job like this. Guess that guy couldn't get a hold of one. Or a new microswitch for that matter...

3 months later
    #2129 4 years ago

No pics, but I recently worked on a customer's new (to them) Fast Draw. The game was started by pushing a piece of broomstick that was ziptied to the AX relay and then pulling it when the machine finished resetting. The GI fuse was foil wrapped. And best of all, the plunger was literally dripping with axle grease and had a pool cue tip! Awesome.

Shawn

1 month later
    #2230 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

Need a place to put the free play button?

I guess they didn't have a spare doorbell button laying around...

#2233 4 years ago

Here's a quick once over on the new-to-me Bobby Orr...

My brother says it takes fans to watch a hockey game. Groan. I'm pretty sure this one has been here awhile.
    IMG_1602 (resized).JPGIMG_1602 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1604 (resized).JPGIMG_1604 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1609 (resized).JPGIMG_1609 (resized).JPG

Classic...
    IMG_1605 (resized).JPGIMG_1605 (resized).JPG

GI hack?
    IMG_1610 (resized).JPGIMG_1610 (resized).JPG

New to me... Is this something an operator would have done or just someone's BS?
    IMG_1612 (resized).JPGIMG_1612 (resized).JPG

Finally, not a hack but an observation. At some point in this poor pin's life someone replaced all the diodes and caps on all the switches with newer diodes and chicklets.
    IMG_1617 (resized).JPGIMG_1617 (resized).JPG

This will be my winter project. Can't wait to dive deeper into it. All the flippers are frozen solid...

3 months later
    #2500 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Saw this video a couple weeks ago and found it interesting:

I found this quite fascinating! Thanks for sharing. I have rarely come across a Robertson screw, but oddly enough learned all about Torx when I began to have to work on my '87 Camaro which was assembled in Canada!

#2529 4 years ago

Oddly, not the first time I have seen a plug like this on a Bally play field. Whats really odd is that I have never seen the other half of this plug hanging from a rectifier board...
    IMG_1810 (resized).JPGIMG_1810 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1811 (resized).JPGIMG_1811 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
    #2557 4 years ago
    Quoted from pincoin:

I dont think 1987 Camaros were built in Canada, seems like they were made in either Norwood OH, or Van Nuys CA

So it was! That's a "fact" I have had in my head for over 30 years. Can't remember where I got it, heard it, read it or what. The things we thought we knew before the information age, eh? SMH...

#2559 4 years ago

Bought new in '87, sold in '94 with 125K I-95 miles.

6 months later
    #2803 3 years ago

A new-to-me Taxi. Lots of wire nuts and electrical tape in this one. Here's the best of the best. I love a good challenge...

IMG_2377 (resized).JPGIMG_2377 (resized).JPGIMG_2381 (resized).JPGIMG_2381 (resized).JPGIMG_2383 (resized).JPGIMG_2383 (resized).JPGIMG_2385 (resized).JPGIMG_2385 (resized).JPGIMG_2387 (resized).JPGIMG_2387 (resized).JPG
    2 weeks later
    #2842 3 years ago
    Quoted from Brewchap:

Not sure why yo would cut a wire bundle like that.

Plugs are complicated, bro!

6 months later
    #3125 2 years ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

Way past my skill level to unhack this fuckery

My kinda challenge! LOL

7 months later
    #3433 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

Not sure anyone has ever asked a question here, but...
    Would you consider this a "hack"?
    I have a janky 11pin IDC connector that also has a burnt pin (or at least starting to get dark from a resistance buildup from the shoddy connection over the years) on a GI connection of a WPC game.
    I HATE IDC, and usually replace them with the corresponding number of pin position molex connectors when they eventually go bad. I checked my bin, and of course, I'm out of 11 pins. I do, however, have plenty of 5 and 6 pins.
    If I matched the key position up and stuck a polarizing key in the corresponding connector so it could never be inserted incorrectly, would anybody consider placing the 6 pin next to the 5 pin molex to make the 11 pin a hack? I don't feel like paying shipping on a dozen or so 11 pins when I don't have anything else to lump into an order at this time (Of course I just placed a large parts order a couple of weeks ago...but hey! That's the nature of pinball parts ordering!)

Just lightly sand the two ends and join with a drop of superglue. Works quite well, just be sure to have them lined up and correctly oriented.

Shawn

3 weeks later
    #3457 2 years ago

I've encountered a few of the blown out(mushroomed) shooters. I would remove the playfield and then cut the damaged portion off with a dremel cutting wheel while still place. Much faster than filing. Replace, vacuum, play.

Shawn

5 months later
    #3624 1 year ago

When our Radio Shacks were on the way out I bought every little last baggie full they had. Still using them.

1 month later
    #3863 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

wait until you need a 28 pin wafer and they can't be bought.

Steve at PBR has them. He was the other guy that had them made with Ed at GPE. Bought a hundred from Ed as my last giant order from him. Gonna miss that guy and his store.

Shawn

2 months later
    #3945 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

I'm finally digging into the "cursed Pinbot" that I was lucky enough to acquire after it passed through three owners

My kind of game!

1 month later
    #4013 1 year ago

"this mpu connector from a black hole pinball is pretty bad."

I'm thinking he used the drip method? Like they literally poured solder from a tinning cup or something? Wow!

Shawn

5 months later
    #4194 9 months ago
    Quoted from alf_1968:

Jones connector madness

Wow. Just wow. I would have started with a fresh rectifier board and then snip every wire before the Jones and after the rectifier. Holy cow!!

#4201 9 months ago
    Quoted from iamdrunker:

They must not understand what it's for.

The fact that there is an entire thread on here where folks argue the merits of 2-prong vs 3-prong plugs tells me all I need to know. I have also seen posts where folks talk about how all those grounds in the cab for the side rails, plunger, coin door frame parts, etc aren't necessary because "no one has ever been shocked and killed from a pinball machine." Gee, I wonder why? The designers knew what they were doing. How fast would an arcade go out of business with one accident? I went through the military's basic electronics and electricity course at the beginning of my career and it taught me enough to be respectful. Disrespect it and it will bite you.

#4212 9 months ago
    Quoted from alf_1968:

If we're going to be creative... lets be creative inside and outside. Miechica! XD
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I want to know how they tightened the screw BEHIND the stand-up target!

2 months later
    #4387 7 months ago

They were gettin' more drunkerer as they worked their way down...

#4409 7 months ago

Not the worst, just typical Bally operator hackery.

IMG_3079 (resized).JPGIMG_3079 (resized).JPGIMG_3080 (resized).JPGIMG_3080 (resized).JPG
    2 weeks later
    #4459 6 months ago

"Williams - Flash

Bad overlay attempt, bad repairs, bad hacks. Even the backglass are a fake/fail print. All in one package, poor Flash."

Wait, you're going to tease us with tales of a bad Flash backglass with no pictures??? C'mon! Show us the real goods! The original art was such a winner I just gotta see the bad...

6 months later
    #4668 3 days ago
    Quoted from alf_1968:

One of those bad-hacks I really hate to see is damaged coin doors.

Bad, but I'll take it over the 4 holes drilled either side of the coin door with the steel bar.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mk1mod0.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw?tu=mk1mod0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.