(Topic ID: 28788)

Worst hack/repair you ever saw.

By mcclad

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17137452019287598807293974414584 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jmountjoy111.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#170 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

So? What's wrong the that?

229099-i.jpg 61 KB

Plan on doing my Pinbot the exact same way. Probably gonna pick up those xpin red and blue display as well. I could not care less how color is produced it looks awesome. Lol

#181 9 years ago

I just picked up a Hurricane that had too weak of a Ferris wheel to turn the ball over. So they just blocked it off.

image-177.jpgimage-177.jpg

Those are definitely pool cue chalk lol

#203 9 years ago

Wait.... So if I put blue lights behind the all blue plastics it is going to mess up the blue? I don't completely follow this but ok. Lol

To each their own on color LEDs. I like them. Some don't. I don't like them on every single game. But sometimes the color adds to the art.

#210 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

This is the ball trough on my BF. Found it saturday while rebuilding the flippers. Funny thing is it works perfectly.

CAM00243[1].jpg 295 KB

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Lol.

#220 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

I prefer my games hack free. Besides it is much more fun to work on them then play them. Kinda wishing I had bought a bigger project to be honest.

It was sarcasm lol. I agree completely however. I also enjoy fixing them. I have only purchased one fully working game in my life (and still managed to find five or six things to fix lol). It is half the fun.

#224 9 years ago

image-749.jpgimage-749.jpg

Trough switch on my Hurricane.

I'm just now getting started on working on it. There will be more. Lol

#229 9 years ago
    Quoted from harbngr:

Hard to see in this pick, but just above the right flipper, they drilled in a new hole and used a round head bolt to replace a stripped out screw that fastened the right flipper down.

pinball 015.JPG 220 KB

I personally love the almost color match on the touch up paint on the playfield lol.

#244 9 years ago

I love how both of those hacked up playfields with drywall screws and nails in them are sporting some nice LED lights lol.

#247 9 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Awww...jeez. I'm not even going to bother. I'll leave it to Pinsiders to read about Ohm's law and educate themselves.
    What's next, Newton's universal law of gravitation? I hear it isn't true either.

Either way they should just go buy a some new fuses. They probably would but, the only place to get them is at radio shack and since they bad mouthed radio shack on pinside they are not allowed in there and had to make this contraption.

#254 9 years ago
    Quoted from koen12344:

Does this speaker panel count?

WP_20141029_002.jpg 130 KB

looks nice. They at least could have spray painted the wood black

#275 9 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Star Gazer. Not even joking...that wooden flipper was in the coinbox of my Star Gazer when I bought it. If you look at the shaft you can see where the wood is compressed. So there is evidence that it was actually installed in a game! Crazy.
    The SG came from Kentucky; so I wasn't even surprised in the slightest.

That cuts deep man. We now have shoes and telephones but still must use hand carved flipper bats. lol!

But in all honesty, I am scoring some sweet games that are broken and getting them for next to nothing because of crap like this so I actually cant even argue with you.

#281 9 years ago

image-56.jpgimage-56.jpg

This dime was acting as a support for the ramp on my Hurricane. I mean come on. For that dime you could have gotten some washers that would have done the same thing

3 weeks later
    #307 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

Haven't really dug into this part of my BK2K yet but it looks like a lamp cord jumping a couple of plugs together. I know the GI sure is not working lol.

1 week later
    #312 9 years ago
    Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

batteries joined together by soldered wires , all of this mess was wrapped up in a bundle of black electrical tape hanging inside of the back box on a piece of string , at least they got em relocated off of the board / from a reimported Black Rose

20141016_172440[1].jpg 444 KB

I had an Op tell me once that he did this to all of his games. My response was the same as your. At least they were off the board.

3 months later
    #380 9 years ago

To me that Addams mpu is the single greatest cluster of all time. That is a beautiful disaster. Like a train wreck man. It makes you sick, butter yet you continue to stare directly into it. Kudos on your patience.

3 weeks later
    #403 8 years ago

Oh I see.... The board is clearly not hooked up so that is why it didn't work lol.

3 months later
    #494 8 years ago
    Quoted from balzofsteel:

Some pix of that board with the junk stripped off.
    X-ray view.
    IMG_0209.jpg
    No plated holes left at U14, a couple left at U19.
    IMG_0217.jpg
    Kind of messy around U15 and U16.
    IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    More traces and plated holes missing.
    FrankenStern has a twin.
    IMG_0211.jpg
    Doodle-a-Circuit pen says the stuff can be soldered - quickly at low temp.
    Low temp solder ordered.
    labrat.jpg

I have tried that circuit writer pen on a board before and had absolutely no luck. I hope that it works better for you. I do know there is a video on YouTube about putting in new eyelets. you could order a bunch and do that if the circuit writer doesn't do it

3 weeks later
    #511 8 years ago
    Quoted from kursiv:

– and didnt see post #462 in this thread 3 months ago.

I was waiting for someone to call it. Lol

3 months later
    #590 8 years ago

I feel like we have done this whole coupling fuses debate before.

1 month later
    #605 8 years ago

I love system 11. However, this is all too common. Riverboat gambler interconnect board

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#609 8 years ago

I have had a lot of good luck with reimport games. My Flintstones is super nice and clean. However, this corvette I picked up has so many hacks. I just started laughing with each one I found.

Most are your normal run of the mill crap wiring jobs (I have no idea where that super long wore goes). Then there is the classic replace the translite glass with Plexiglass and why bother with trim. Just throw some tape on there lol. That's $100 flushed down the toilet. Not to mention all the sound ROMs. were in backwards. Lol

#611 8 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I did okay until the last picture...

Amazingly, once I turned all of the sound ROMs around the proper way that board worked.

2 weeks later
    #618 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

I see that washer used on the rods alot. I always replace with an E clip. Next time you have a mushroomed plunger, just file/grind off the mushroomed part and it will come out.

I'll second this. I find the cut washer on half the games I get lol.

11 months later
    #913 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

An experienced tech can crimp pins pretty quickly.
    It's mainly about not having the right components on-hand.

I know I can redo a connector with a whole lot less aggravation and quicker than soldering to the board. I think the only reasoning for that would be lack of supplies in the moment. If you need the game running and don't have connectors or pins you would do that to keep making coin.

6 months later
    #1309 6 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Why round these off or even grind on these at all?? Not to mention covering the entire assembly in WD40 and grease??

I'd say those were mushroomed out pretty bad. I've filed them down before several times. Typically always polish it back out though.

As far the WD40... I believe spraying that crap in a pinball machine is like blowing in your NES cartridges. No one knows why they do it or where they learned it. Not only does it not help but it actually hurts. Yet everyone does it lol.

I just picked up a pinbot that had been lubed every 3000 miles I believe. It was a mess lol. I just got the last mech cleaned this afternoon lol. Thank God for my ultrasonic

#1314 6 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Damn I haven't had a hack in so long, I am missing out.
    Where are you guys getting these gems from?
    I need to fix something! Every single day I get teased with this topic. And pretty soon all the hacks will be fixed. Fun that I am missing out on.

Well, you can still always count on just about every single interconnect board on every system 11 to have toasted GI connectors.... So we will always have that.

#1319 6 years ago

Not the worst hack but pretty funny nonetheless. Not only the king of beers. It apparently they are in the replacement plastic business as well

IMG_2219 (resized).JPGIMG_2219 (resized).JPG

IMG_2220 (resized).JPGIMG_2220 (resized).JPG

#1321 6 years ago

Custom Christmas cookie tin face plate

IMG_2235 (resized).JPGIMG_2235 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2236 (resized).JPGIMG_2236 (resized).JPG

#1327 6 years ago
    Quoted from L_satan:

That tin is the best!
    If I were you, I would install it Pooh-side up!

I'm telling you it is the funniest thing. I bought it directly from the op himself. I am sure that he is the one that put both the tin and the beer can on the playfield. The rest of the game though was in decent shape. He even added an external battery holder and did it properly lol. He just didn't give a crap what the game looked like as long as it ran right and made money. He threw in a completely populated pinbot playfield with the game so I am going to end up with a nice one when finished.

I just laughed when I turned that thing over. I thought it was just a sheet of tin he had cut. I'm keeping the tin for sure though

1 week later
    #1343 6 years ago

Just getting started on the POTO. she will boot and play now. But still missing most of the playfield GI.

IMG_2317 (resized).JPGIMG_2317 (resized).JPG

IMG_2319 (resized).JPGIMG_2319 (resized).JPG

IMG_2318 (resized).JPGIMG_2318 (resized).JPG

IMG_2320 (resized).JPGIMG_2320 (resized).JPG

2 months later
    #1389 6 years ago

There should be an entire thread of key related hacks lol. That is one of better done ones for sure

#1394 6 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

bonus points if the key is cut so that it can open the backbox
    it would be a key you would never accidentally lose

Almost every key hack I have pulled opened the backbox. Lol.

1 month later
    #1537 6 years ago
    Quoted from mgpasman:

Guys, back to on topic please

I’ll second that. I keep checking back to find out if someone has tracked down the smoking hot blonde and.... nothing lol.

Seriously. I’m buying one of those crimpers. I knownit was all off topic but I was just thinking I needed a new one

2 weeks later
    #1590 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

New in the shop, get 'em while they're hot! You know you want one...

I am just trying to justify your reasoning in leaving out the classic “JD is a $1400 game folks”. Lol

#1592 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Working on ver 2.0

Lol. I love it. I’d upvote twice if it would let me

2 weeks later
    #1626 6 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I saw this today on ebay.. someone put a lot of work into this.

Oh ok I see the problem now. There is clearly a PIA error at u41.

7 months later
    #1839 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

Damn! I'm actually kind of impressed!

No joke!

7 months later
    #2051 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I thought plan B was using a rubber band

I thought plan b was a pill for when your rubber broke not a zip tie

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jmountjoy111.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw?tu=jmountjoy111 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.