Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,635 posts
  • 731 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by jibmums
  • Topic is favorited by 312 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240321_180554 (resized).jpg
    68714440943__356B9A98-CA54-4C2A-A85D-8E5C24E9F1AA (resized).jpeg
    68714440123__30A6C9F0-7A87-4D13-882F-CC6C530664AA (resized).jpeg
    362393458_1478280539605169_7357000172916421133_n (resized).jpg
    20240316_180228[1] (resized).jpg
    IMG_0602 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0603 (resized).jpeg
    20240307_145101 (resized).jpg
    20240303_172813 (resized).jpg
    20240219_201720 (resized).jpg
    20170518_080740.jpeg
    20240226_162953 (resized).jpg
    received_922481939573164 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2329 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frenchmarky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2990 3 years ago

Worst one I had was a Gottlieb Jet Spin where things were just working strange. Narrowed it down to that somebody had 'fixed' something by moving and resoldering a bunch of wires onto the wrong lugs on a relay. This was before the days I could go on the internet and get schematics plus I was a real greenie back then, it was all by eyeballing so now I dunno how I ever figured that damn puzzle out and got it running correctly!

#2992 3 years ago
    Quoted from Grauwulf:

Dude must have been a plumber.

Well now let's not assume the poor fella used a blowtorch. Maybe it was a can of hairspray and a lighter.

1 month later
    #3010 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

Back in EM days, if a game was in a dark corner, clever kids used a large screwdriver to pry the backbox cover open a little from one side, then turned the credit unit wheel to maximum with a bicycle spoke.

For me, as a kid I doubt playing for free would've been loads of fun for very long. Half the adventure was figuring out how I was going to come up with the dimes and quarters to play. Ask my mom for it, or sneak it outta her purse, etc.

#3012 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

How many others would check the coin return slots of all machines in arcades, in hopes of finding change to play a few games?

Or hoping there was a game in the joint that somebody had walked away from with some credits still on it... or not realizing they'd won a match. Especially if the knocker was busted.

2 weeks later
    #3062 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

Hey, at least he got the batteries off the board!

Looks like a time bomb in a movie. "Do I cut the red wire or the white one?!"

2 months later
    #3142 2 years ago
    Quoted from ODENONMYSIDE513:

That's factory, it advances the silverball lights on the backglass

What was the intended purpose of being able to do that with the button?

#3145 2 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Advancing the Carry over feature to entice play
    - or -Screwing the player over by advancing it back to the s

Okay the second one, THAT one I can buy. XD

#3148 2 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

Its also the only way to test the lamps are working... if I recall correctly from the last one I worked on.

That's weird, if they are controlled lamps why wouldn't they just flash on and off with all the rest of the lamps in the lamp test, like EBD's DELUXE lamps do?

1 year later
    #3846 1 year ago

... or to take up any teeny bit of slack between the spinner wire and the switch blade w/ the hole in it... for... whatever reason anybody would need to do that. Doesn't really look like it could keep the blade from coming loose from the wire, but maybe.

#3853 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What else would you do? The tape is easily reversible. I used super glue on a pair I had.

I did one with tape like that on my EBD aux lamp board in a pinch. I think I may have one with the right # of slots on hand now, I should replace it since I already put new pins in that connector.

1 week later
    #3896 1 year ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

Yes I like them also I think the new pins with the stand up they are cheaper too make I guess and the drop targets are too much too make they are cheaping out

They made tons of games without drop targets that are great even after drop targets were invented. I don't think drop targets are automatically better. Difficult to spread them around the playfield easily like you can with a simple target, too.

1 month later
    #3913 1 year ago

Maybe he used the original Q3 elsewhere, then replaced with it with a dead one for looks. The guy just couldn't bear to throw it away.

3 months later
    #4053 1 year ago

I always liked those pal nuts, chrome is snazzier looking than the rubber caps. I don't think I've ever had one come loose. I'd never put the rubber tips on a game that originally came with the chrome nuts, doesn't look right. When removing I just pull up on them a little at first while turning, no big deal.

#4056 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

We used Pal nuts in some areas of aircraft assembly. I always wondered where the name came from. I never thought of it as being a brand name.

There ya go, proof that they stay put. You got an airplane you definitely don't want stuff falling off the thing. 8D

7 months later
    #4424 6 months ago

Who would've thunk you could be fully equipped to fix a broken flipper return spring just shuffling around the house in your BVDs.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frenchmarky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw?tu=frenchmarky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.