Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,669 posts
  • 733 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 314 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240321_180554 (resized).jpg
    68714440943__356B9A98-CA54-4C2A-A85D-8E5C24E9F1AA (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheddar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#323 9 years ago
    Quoted from rad:

a fully functional hack (an operator went to great lengths to create this!).

HV section 1.jpg 127 KB

HV section 2.jpg 134 KB

This is a fully functioning high voltage section? Why not put these components back on the board? This operator clearly had the skills to do it right

1 month later
    #352 9 years ago

Did that sh!t work? If so impressed with the macguyvering but disgusted otherwise

9 months later
    #567 8 years ago
    Quoted from jboner1058:

Why replace this connector on the power supply when you can just use a zip tie?

image.jpeg image_1.jpeg

My ps connectors have zip ties instead of key pins

4 months later
    #644 8 years ago
    Quoted from StevenW123:

The guy who sold me a HH put grease on all of the board connectors. . . .

I was pulling lamps out of an early stern and they all seemed to have vaseline on them. WTH???

#647 8 years ago
    Quoted from Minabluemerle:

From a Fish Tales.

20151005_060359_(resized).jpg

did it work?

#653 8 years ago
    Quoted from balzofsteel:

Somebody somewhere started a rumor to the effect that applying oily substances to old lamp sockets would magically restore the shrunken insulators and make the lamps shine brightly.
    How did it work out?

the bulbs still didn't work!

4 months later
    #795 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I re-soldered the wires, and taped the coil to the large bracket until I can get a chance to order a new coil bracket.

I wonder how long that would hold

1 month later
    #843 7 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

They could have at least pushed the wires all the way through the holes to make it cleaner and snipped off the excess. Less chance of bridging them too.

WHat? and have to remove the board to do the repair? F That!

3 months later
    #901 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Spotted this in a Williams Laserball for sale. Take a look at the power supply.

This repair is way more expensive than the actual fix!

1 month later
    #952 7 years ago

Picked up a Viking on Sunday. Aside from fade and a few hacks it looks and plays nice.

Now the Hacks:
    So thisAttached to right flipperAttached to right flipper

leads to thisbottom of cabinet on left sidebottom of cabinet on left side

and ultimately connects to this2017-02-21 15.41.33 (resized).jpg2017-02-21 15.41.33 (resized).jpg

So when the middle saucer doesn't fire just hold down the right flipper and press the button to fire the solenoid.

At least it's better that the hellmageddon in the backbox2017-02-19 19.03.18 (resized).jpg2017-02-19 19.03.18 (resized).jpg2017-02-19 19.03.25 (resized).jpg2017-02-19 19.03.25 (resized).jpg

I spliced in a display harness from a playboy so that's all cleaned up, still have to tackle the playfield wiring in the back box.

3 months later
    #1104 6 years ago
    Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

Hack? More like a must have Mod. Where can I buy this?

Each game is $5 though

1 month later
    #1220 6 years ago

Burnt pins on the rectifier board. Don't replace them put in a large inline connector and soldered to the back. The connector is cut both sides from another harness.IMG_20170730_172438373 (resized).jpgIMG_20170730_172438373 (resized).jpgIMG_20170730_172922960 (resized).jpgIMG_20170730_172922960 (resized).jpg

#1230 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Very common... and actually factory in some generations.

Fortunately I have a second nine ball next to.it to verify it in this case. What seems so hacky about this is this repair took way more effort than a correct repair.

4 weeks later
    #1311 6 years ago

Almost didn't post this one as they come up so often. After cleaning this up the traces are fine. They could have done it right but chose not to.IMG_20170827_131226898 (resized).jpgIMG_20170827_131226898 (resized).jpg

2 months later
    #1398 6 years ago
    Quoted from statictrance:

the complete and total lack of a power board. Literally every single connection was hand wired/connected/soldered either floating or directly to the metal bracket. If you look close at the bracket - the guy took the time to mark the fuse amps and even TEST POINTS!
    Given I was new to the hobby and putting in a new MPU - I didn't have the testicular fortitude to power this on to see if this hack worked (or real trust in my abilities to test it all through). With the old MPU in, I can say it had GI and seemed to have display voltage glow (Seller 'turned it on' when I arrived). I included a picture of the 'after' with a new power board and all the wires reworked. Shockingly, it works like a charm with the new boards.
    There was another hack attached to the SDB that had two small wires running to a little breadboard - but I don't think I grabbed pictures of it. I'm not sure what it was used for - but I cut it out and the machine still works. I'm guessing it was either related to the pictured hack.

The amount of work done to avoid work!

2 weeks later
    #1425 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballtech:

After over 40 years as a tech I thought I had seen it all, but this takes the cake. Add-ons include relays, wires, beacon, speaker, bells, buzzers, door chime, and the piece de resistance, an old cannister vacuum cleaner under the machine that was also wired in. We spent an hour or two trying to figure it out, but there is so much that has been added to the original wiring it was difficult to "see the light". The guy that did this has passed away so I am on my own here. We are trying to get it going for his daughter, but where do you start? I looked through the notes he had left but there was no clear direction there. Immediate problem is in the scoring, but obviously all these extras were added to that circuitry so the original schematic was no help. Still shaking my head.

Wow it would be easier to buy a second one and swap the guts into it

1 month later
    #1527 6 years ago

I use an IWISS crimper. It does insulation and wire crimp at the same time, ratchets closed to hold the crimp and does a perfect job every time. Price is right too. GPE is thinking of carrying these. I bought one when he mentioned them. I hope he does start carrying them soon as I'd rather give him the sale.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4L8QMW

#1534 6 years ago

Doesn't ratchet and needs to be used twice for each crimp. The IWISS is cheaper

Quoted from statictrance:

Mine is very similar to this... Has a blue handle, but that may just be a design change over the years...

Mine came with a blue handle too

#1540 6 years ago
    Quoted from pincity:

Would these work for crimping 0.156” pins? Been looking for a set.
    Thanks

They do for me

3 weeks later
    #1602 6 years ago

IIRC this was in a children's hospital

7 months later
    #1830 5 years ago

At least 3 of these on a skateball I'm swappingIMG_20180919_183404329 (resized).jpgIMG_20180919_183404329 (resized).jpg

2 months later
    #1914 5 years ago
    Quoted from lanfeust:

When doing new GI connectors, make sure to solder them also to the board, in case it does not work...

[quoted image][quoted image]

If that GI works you may have found a source of free electricity

1 year later
    #2675 3 years ago
    Quoted from hazmat7719:

And may I add that it is fun to bring them back. It is part of the hobby. I hope that you and your friend have a great time working on this!

I had a viking with a manual hole kickout button. Fixing that hack was almost as fun as playing the game

11 months later
    #3186 2 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

A 100X improvement of that board would be a $4 RaspberryPico board, with a $1 one chip amplifier if designed today. Too bad there is no market for sound upgrade boards for EMs any longer....

I guess with some jumpers and an extra switch on the start button to reset it, you could make the sounds (WAV TRIGGER) change based upon the score and the current coil being triggered. This could be a little more dynamic that bleeps.

1 year later
    #3745 1 year ago
    Quoted from sparky672:

Taking it way too far...
    [quoted image]

This is an accepted method of fixing floating ground issues on a Gottlieb.

#3750 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but as an electrical engineer....that sort of makes sense.

It looks horrible but since it's grounds what is the worry? That it will accidentally short to...ground? And the issue it fixes is that some of those lines have bad connections and are floating. Now they all share the same connection.

I like to use a buss bar instead of doing this but it's functionally the same.

#3755 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electronmagic:

This is A method, not necessarily the "accepted" one.

I said "an" accepted method

#3756 1 year ago
    Quoted from sparky672:

When you think about it, almost every hack in this 75 page thread shows something that is functionally the same as the original.
    Yes, a buss bar would be a far better solution than the solder-blob if the slim possibility of floating grounds on your Gottlieb keep you up at night. Alternately, one could test the resistance and continuity of each ground circuit and make the appropriate repair such as re-pinning the connectors.
    My Gottlieb Volcano was an absolute mess when I got it. Intermittent power connections at the power supply, wrong fuses, burned solenoids, alkaline damage on the MPU, fried & flaky chips, bad transistors, dim displays, and loose edge connections - not to mention the various playfield hacks, screws, nails, and sheet metal. The original orange filter cap was already changed years prior, and I tied the grounds together on all the boards in the head, which did not hurt anything but also solved none of these problems.
    I eventually found and fixed the root cause of every single problem and none was traced back to a missing ground or a bad filter cap.

I bet you did essentially the same thing by tying the grounds together on the back of the driver board. This is the correct way but to avoid problems in the future both ends need to addressed unless it has the soldered ground bar in early system 80s

#3760 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

RF engineer here, high power transmitter design, up to ~10GHz (but mostly below about 1.5GHz). I wouldn't be happy unless I used metal backed PCB boards bolted to a hunk of metal for ground!
    If it was my pin, I'd restore to original but neatly add additional mods to help ensure ground issues down the road don't return. Wasn't running ground wires to each board (not thru a connector, but to the board itself) a common practice on the Sys 80 boards?
    I don't know how well Gottlieb implemented their grounding scheme, maybe it wasn't the best from the 'get-go', and just gets worse as time goes on.

Part of the issue is they ran a wire back to ground for each group of 3 coils. But the grounds for these groups weren't connected on the board.

And then they switched from soldiered ground wires to using a female connector and a small PCB of the male pins screwed to a grounded metal box. The screw didn't provide the ground though, it just held the soldered side of the PCB against the metal.

#3762 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

So where did the coil grounds end up going? So another ground path is used to eventually tie the coils to the board ground?
    Sorry for a slight thread derail - don't mean to turn this into a ground repair thread.

Down the ground wire to the ground plane

#3765 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

Gottlieb Cleopatra... not the worst way to do it but blehhhhh
    [quoted image]

Trying to understand the problem being solved here

#3806 1 year ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

I think we need to ban any further discussions of duck, duct, or gaffer tape from this thread....it's just annoying.

Let's start up on Gottlieb ground fixes again

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheddar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw?tu=cheddar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.