(Topic ID: 28788)

Worst hack/repair you ever saw.

By mcclad

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17137452019287598807293974414584 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mad_Dog_Coin_Op.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2056 4 years ago

Hey, it bothered me.

20190509_164841 (resized).jpg20190509_164841 (resized).jpg
    #2057 4 years ago

All fixed. I can sleep now.

20190520_171619 (resized).jpg20190520_171619 (resized).jpg
    #2060 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

ok... I'll bite. My electronics kung-fu is weak... that said, I thought a burnt resister was basically a short. How did that piggy back thing add any value to the circuit. Or did the resister completely burn through (open).
    I like your more elegant repair.
    Thanks,
    faz

The original resistor fried and the previous owner removed it but didn’t have the correct value as a replacement. If you combine resistors you can often achieve the correct resistance needed with just some spare parts laying around the shop. There is a nifty formula for doing just that but it looks awful installed on the board. The previous repair was within specs.

#2063 4 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Even for required wattage?

Amazingly, yes. Both looked to be rated for 5 watts.

6 months later
    #2296 4 years ago
    Quoted from king-pin:

I am to busy shopping out my pinballs so I let my kindergarten aged child touch up the cabinets .[quoted image]

Looks like pretty good coverage.

1 month later
    #2404 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Bally Party Zone. I guess they didnt want to replace with a post to protect the ramps so use a screw instead.[quoted image]

I’m trying to figure out what the game is. It isn’t a Party Zone.

1 year later
    #3139 2 years ago
    Quoted from djblouw:

So what’s the fuse rating of 18 gauge wire?
    [quoted image]
    Also, on the same SBM, a switch was installed under the pf. Haven’t figured out what it’s for yet. And it’s not a credit switch, since there is one on the door already.
    [quoted image]

I think that wire is factory also. Probably just harvested from another area of the pin to get things going. It’s a lot like taking a vein from your leg to patch up your heart. Perfectly fine.

3 months later
    #3263 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

The hot glue minimized the wire harness wires, Wire eyes and the solenoid windings from breaking off of the coil wire eyes. The small movement of the coil, when energized, took a toll on this stuff. Driving out to Bel-Mark lanes on a snowy Sunday night when I was on-call, to solder a wire onto a Flipper Coil, sucked hind tit. 38 miles each way.

I've seen the hot glue thing too. Seems unnecessary to me.

1 year later
    #4332 8 months ago

When you really want your legs secured. All four are like this. I have her loaded up in my pinball hauler now. Can't wait to dig in and find all the other hacks.

714595601 (resized).jpg714595601 (resized).jpgIMG_7304 (resized).jpgIMG_7304 (resized).jpgIMG_7309 (resized).jpgIMG_7309 (resized).jpg
    #4335 8 months ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Is that even the correct coin door for that machine?
    Are those thru bolts or wood screws dug into the cabinet? Wow

Fortunately, correct coin door. The extra bolts are actually big ass wood screws. It is going to take some effort but is fixable.

#4337 8 months ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

And what about those kegs of beer?

It is wine believe it or not. The game actually smells like wine too. That is a first for me. Usually they smell like cigarettes.

#4338 8 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, at least the damage to the cab is hidden under the legs. Drill and install some dowel rod and travel on.
    Slop some JB Weld into those "extra" holes, sand and paint.

I was just going to drill them out clean and glue in wood dowels.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mad_Dog_Coin_Op.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw?tu=Mad_Dog_Coin_Op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.