Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,763 posts
  • 737 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Mk1Mod0
  • Topic is favorited by 318 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image0 (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2024-07-14 at 12.14.33 PM (resized).png
    IMG_1207 (resized).jpg
    IMAG0868 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8160 (resized).jpeg
    hmm interesting (resized).png
    IMG_1604 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2511 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5777 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6153 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6151 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6150 (resized).jpg
    20240629_100631 (resized).jpg
    DSCN3601 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240620_142058_103 (resized).jpg
    There are 4,763 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 96.
    #4701 33 days ago
    Quoted from alf_1968:

Bally - Corvette
    This is a good one...
    Someone soldered an LED and a resistor onto all the PCBs instead of the twist-in lamp socket (even the #44 sockets). They probably ran out of #555 and #44 bulbs, and that was the solution... I guess...
    I removed all of that, cleaned and refilled the solder pads (smoothed out the solder), and reinstalled a new twist-in lamp socket. Not one of the worst, but definitely a terrible hack.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Before LED bulbs were available, that's what some techs did to get rid of incandescents. Tim Arnold was well known for doing something like that in games at the PHOF.

I imagine part of the reason was heat, and part of the reason was he got tired of constantly replacing bulbs.

I've always been curious if he has since stopped soldering in LEDs and/or removed those early LEDs from the games there and replaced them with LED bulbs.

#4702 32 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Before LED bulbs were available, that's what some techs did to get rid of incandescents. Tim Arnold was well known for doing something like that in games at the PHOF.
    I imagine part of the reason was heat, and part of the reason was he got tired of constantly replacing bulbs.
    I've always been curious if he has since stopped soldering in LEDs and/or removed those early LEDs from the games there and replaced them with LED bulbs.

I agree. This solution is absolutely acceptable for commercial pinball machines (running 8+ hours a day). Hard to guess how many bulbs need to be replaced weekly in arcade, museum or in PHOF.
    I owned an arcade in the 90's and as I recall my pinballs didn't burn out lamps as fast as today's ones. I don't know, maybe the old lamps were much more durable, same goes for the white rubber rings, today's ones are crappy.

Today, I don't like LEDs, all my pinballs are using the standard #555 or #44 incandescent bulb.

PS: Not too long ago I installed some E... brand lamps, fresh from the box, and they burned out as fast as I put them in the socket! $1.50 each right to the trash can, in a flash!

#4703 32 days ago
    Quoted from alf_1968:

PS: Not too long ago I installed some E... brand lamps, fresh from the box, and they burned out as fast as I put them in the socket! $1.50 each right to the trash can, in a flash!

Yeah, the new style bulbs don't always last long.

Whenever I do a shop job, I save all the working GE branded bulbs. There are people who still like to use them--usually for EM games.

I mostly go with LED bulbs, however, I still save GE blinker bulbs. The new eiko blinker bulbs are wildly inconsistent and may of them tend to stay off far more often than they light up. The LED blinker bulbs blink at a consistent rate, not at a variable/random rate like with incandescent bulbs. There's just fast and slow speeds. I wish someone would release a random LED blinker bulb.

Quoted from alf_1968:

Today, I don't like LEDs, all my pinballs are using the standard #555 or #44 incandescent bulb.

I'd suggest looking into sunlight bulbs...they're a much more neutral white light. Not too blue, and not to yellow.

#4704 32 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'd suggest looking into sunlight bulbs...they're a much more neutral white light. Not too blue, and not to yellow.

I found them too blue - dont go buying 1000 of them, try them out first - took mine out after an hour.

Warm white for the win, always.

#4705 32 days ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I found them too blue - dont go buying 1000 of them, try them out first - took mine out after an hour.
    Warm white for the win, always.

I'm surprised...I've never heard anyone say that before about sunlight bulbs

#4706 31 days ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

TV dinners
    I'm feelin' kinda rough
    TV dinners
    This one's kinda tough
    I like the enchiladas
    And the teriyaki too
    I even like the chicken
    If the sauce is not too blue

#4707 31 days ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

TV dinners
    I'm feelin' kinda rough
    TV dinners
    This one's kinda tough
    I like the enchiladas
    And the teriyaki too
    I even like the chicken
    If the sauce is not too blue

Love a bit of classic ZZ Top!

#4708 31 days ago
    Quoted from alf_1968:

same goes for the white rubber rings, today's ones are crappy.

My OP friend says same thing. White rings fall apart and turn to mush rubber.

#4709 31 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

My OP friend says same thing. White rings fall apart and turn to mush rubber.

I get all my rings from PBR...other than rings on a few posts that that take a constant beating from direct shots, they seem to last for years. I don't know if theirs are somehow different than everybody else's.

#4710 28 days ago

Why replace the spring steel when you can, um... Wrap it with an inside out Red Bull can and re-rivet it together!

20240619_221503 (resized).jpg20240619_221503 (resized).jpg
    #4711 27 days ago
    Quoted from statictrance:

Why replace the spring steel when you can, um... Wrap it with an inside out Red Bull can and re-rivet it together!
    [quoted image]

The level of ingenuity displayed with some of these hacks/fixes is really quite interesting.

#4712 27 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

The level of ingenuity displayed with some of these hacks/fixes is really quite interesting.

Some of these could qualify as pinball folk art. Should put together a collection of hacks and display them in a gallery. Found a doorbell in my Williams Hotline.

20240310_094619 (resized).jpg20240310_094619 (resized).jpg
    #4713 27 days ago

Bad connection in the socket?
    Let me fix that for you...

IMG_20240620_142032_597 (resized).jpgIMG_20240620_142032_597 (resized).jpgIMG_20240620_142058_103 (resized).jpgIMG_20240620_142058_103 (resized).jpg
    #4714 27 days ago
    Quoted from ORF:

[quoted image][quoted image]

WOW! I can't believe someone spent time doing that. Anything to get a game up and running.

#4715 27 days ago

Better make sure it is oriented correctly before soldering...

#4716 27 days ago

this has got to be my favorite thread here on pinside.

no arguing, just the appreciation of the ingenuity and/or head scratchedness of things that people have uncovered in machines to keep them running.

#4717 27 days ago

Maybe the thread should be renamed to "Best or Worst hack/repair you ever saw"?

For the operator, best hack is the one that keeps the game earning. For a hobbyist, best repair is the one that makes the game as close to original as possible. And vice versa to the worst hacks/repairs.

#4718 27 days ago
    Quoted from ORF:

That may be the most special thing I've seen on a board. I had a DE Time Machine in the past where someone had done that with a display. It worked, but....

#4719 27 days ago
    Quoted from ORF:

you have to wonder how much time it took to bend each pin and then solder them all onto the chip vs. ordering and installing a new socket (which were still readily available up through a year or 2 ago)

#4720 27 days ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

you have to wonder how much time it took to bend each pin and then solder them all onto the chip vs. ordering and installing a new socket (which were still readily available up through a year or 2 ago)

I will say, removing that socket seems like it'd be a risky job. About ask risky as the crap they did there.

Removing a socket on a WPC board is bad enough.....

#4721 27 days ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

That may be the most special thing I've seen on a board. I had a DE Time Machine in the past where someone had done that with a display. It worked, but....

Well..
    I have repaired north of 500 "WPC-X" boards for the last 15 years and this was a first for me.
    I am actually glad they choose this solution instead of destroying the traces trying to change the socket, making my repair much easier.
    I have seen a lot of strange ones but this is a top ten

#4722 27 days ago
    Quoted from ORF:

Well..
    I have repaired north of 500 "WPC-X" boards for the last decade and this was a first for me.
    I am actually glad they choose this solution instead of destroying the traces trying to change the socket, making my repair much easier.
    I have seen a lot of strange ones but this is a top ten

Wow, thats a lot of WPC boards. Guessing I’ve done a dozen WPC CPU boards over the years. They are tough. System 7 is a lot more forgiving, and easy to restore.

Either way, board word is my zen time. Take it slow, rushing is when things go sideways.

#4723 27 days ago

I've never replaced an asic socket but can't you carefully break the plastic off and put fresh solder on the top and bottom of each pin and pull them out one by one? Seems like it might be safer than trying to remove it all at once.

#4724 27 days ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

For the operator, best hack is the one that keeps the game earning. For a hobbyist, best repair is the one that makes the game as close to original as possible.

And with these statements you have nipped any and every other argument in the bud.

I was surprised when Mr. Bally and others say a lot of these "hacks" were game room repairs to keep the machine on the floor.

#4725 26 days ago
    Quoted from ORF:

Just honing those solder skills!

I'm guilty of doing something like this, but not to this extent.

#4726 26 days ago

Not a worst hack, good luck playing a game though. Picked 2 up cheap. Flipper mech. needs some TLC. (Toledo or Spanish Eyes, can't remember which).

DSCN3601 (resized).JPGDSCN3601 (resized).JPG
    #4727 26 days ago

Repaired an asic with over 20 jumpers and that’s not bad part.idiot pried the socket a bit to play magical bomb squad. Drywall screws on the pf are always fun especially the 3” variety

Plcc ic sockets suck

1 week later
    #4728 19 days ago

File this one under - It's not right but damn if it hasn't worked fine for years

20240629_100631 (resized).jpg20240629_100631 (resized).jpg
    #4729 19 days ago

Love it - would it still work with a different resistance? LOL

#4730 18 days ago

I opened up a Flight 2000 I got on trade a few months ago. My question is: Why?

IMG_6150 (resized).jpgIMG_6150 (resized).jpg

IMG_6151 (resized).jpgIMG_6151 (resized).jpg

IMG_6153 (resized).jpgIMG_6153 (resized).jpg
    #4731 18 days ago

The rectifier board on F2K likes to melt itself. Someone was just trying to install a cooling fan!

#4732 18 days ago
    Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

The rectifier board on F2K likes to melt itself. Someone was just trying to install a cooling fan!

I have 6 sister Sterns in my lineup. None of them have problems with rectifier board. I cannot see why F2K would be any different. Of course, I have replaced all of my rectifier boards with new repro units.

#4733 18 days ago

re: the rectifier board, they saw that the resistor was burnt, so rather than fix it, they put the fan in.

400,000+ machines with this type of rectifier board in it, whoever did the fan said to themselves "those guys at bally/stern don't know what they're doing. I'm going to show them and fix this issue right!"

The short answer as to why they did this, is that they were a fucking moron.

#4734 18 days ago
    Quoted from slochar:

re: the rectifier board, they saw that the resistor was burnt, so rather than fix it, they put the fan in.
    400,000+ machines with this type of rectifier board in it, whoever did the fan said to themselves "those guys at bally/stern don't know what they're doing. I'm going to show them and fix this issue right!"
    The short answer as to why they did this, is that they were a fucking moron.

I also have another Stern where someone cut a hole in the back of the back box and installed a fan to exhaust air out the back, not realizing that the backbox vents like a chimney.

Replacing the fiberboard with a piece of 3/8" plywood is on my list of things to do.

Quoted from slochar:

whoever did the fan said to themselves "those guys at bally/stern don't know what they're doing.

This reminds me of some of the real dumb shit things people do to their cars to try and make them get more gas mileage or run faster. As if they know more than the Detroit engineers. Not all backyard mechanics are idiots and do do some real good stuff. But Autozone and the like stores depend on the idiots to keep their doors open.

EDIT: This F2K had a property number tag riveted on the cab so it was in some sort of public/commercial location.

#4735 18 days ago

Why do flipper fans come to mind ?

#4736 18 days ago

How about the vent holes popped in the bottom of my Split Second cabinet.

IMG_5777 (resized).jpegIMG_5777 (resized).jpeg
    #4737 17 days ago
    Quoted from play_pinball:

[quoted image]

Lucky for you is that floors are easy to replace---if you ever feel the need.

That sure is a strange hole pattern.

#4738 17 days ago

[quoted image]

lol wut?

I don't understand why someone would feel the need to do this. None of those hole placements make any sense.

#4739 17 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

lol wut?
    I don't understand why someone would feel the need to do this. None of those hole placements make any sense.

They’re speed holes. They make the game go faster!

But really it’s a shame because it’s also by far the cleanest classic Stern I’ve ever owned. I suspect it was possibly HUO because the previous owners had it since the mid-80s and they got it from a friend who had it before them. They didn’t remember the holes.

#4740 17 days ago

But really it’s a shame because it’s also by far the cleanest classic Stern I’ve ever owned. I suspect it was possibly HUO because the previous owners had it since the mid-80s and they got it from a friend who had it before them. They didn’t remember the holes.

The game is too much fun!

The holes are to drain off some of the fun...

#4741 17 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

lol wut?

What's on the playfield right above those holes? Could the player get some "extra points" or activate switches by poking a stick into the holes? But even in that case I still cant understand why so many.

#4742 17 days ago

In looking at those holes, it sure looks like they were drilled from the inside with the play field propped up and out of the way. Strange.

#4743 17 days ago

From the Bobby Orr I redid for my Mom. At least they did a nice install!

IMG_1604 (resized).JPGIMG_1604 (resized).JPGIMG_2511 (resized).JPGIMG_2511 (resized).JPG
    #4744 17 days ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Love it - would it still work with a different resistance? LOL

difference resistance? yes, probably. but what if you change the wattage?

#4745 16 days ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

difference resistance? yes, probably. but what if you change the wattage?

hmm interesting (resized).pnghmm interesting (resized).png
    #4746 12 days ago

I’m sure experienced pinballers have seen this.. first for me. Fuses wrapped in foil, and yes both fuses underneath were blown

IMG_8160 (resized).jpegIMG_8160 (resized).jpeg
    #4747 12 days ago

I am betting all those fuse holders are loose as well, the foil helps tighten em up !

#4748 12 days ago

Looks like they installed the wrong size (length -wise) fuses, too. What's the bulb socket for?

#4749 12 days ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

What's the bulb socket for?

It is used to illuminate the total playmeter.

#4750 12 days ago
    Quoted from Boat:

I’m sure experienced pinballers have seen this.. first for me. Fuses wrapped in foil, and yes both fuses underneath were blown
    [quoted image]

Bernie (on location): "Hey Leonard, got any fuses in your truck? Some fuses are blown."
    Leonard: "I had some, but they fell on the floor when I drop my toolbox last month reaching for some chew"
    Bernie: "Let me show you a little trick I learned. Got anything metal I can stuff in this fuse holder till we get back out here?"
    Leonard: "We got the foil wrap from our sandwiches stuffed in the ashtray. Will that work?"
    Bernie: "I reckon it'll do. I'll just wrap it around to get the machine going, and we'll bring some fuses next time. Remind me."
    Leonard: "Cool."
    Bernie (back at shop): "Leonard, what did I ask you to remind me about?"
    Leonard: " Something about sandwiches I think"
    Bernie: "That must be it, let's get some grub"

There are 4,763 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 96.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.