Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,667 posts
  • 733 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by Tuukka
  • Topic is favorited by 313 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240321_180554 (resized).jpg
    68714440943__356B9A98-CA54-4C2A-A85D-8E5C24E9F1AA (resized).jpeg
    There are 4,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 94.
    #351 9 years ago

Wow that was bad!

#352 9 years ago

Did that sh!t work? If so impressed with the macguyvering but disgusted otherwise

#353 9 years ago

Here is my Six Million Dollar Man power supply board... This has worked for about 3 years. Now I can't take it anymore. Fixing asap. Lights flickering and sounds changing pitch while playing. I notice hackers like lamp cord. Good post!

20150115_174500.jpg20150115_174500.jpg
    #354 9 years ago
    Quoted from Speeddemon:

Here is my Six Million Dollar Man power supply board... This has worked for about 3 years. Now I can't take it anymore. Fixing asap. Lights flickering and sounds changing pitch while playing. I notice hackers like lamp cord. Good post!

20150115_174500.jpg 282 KB

Nice "remote" BR on that one, lol.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing/page/2#post-2113931

2 months later
    #355 9 years ago

It's well heat sinked

#356 9 years ago
    Quoted from Speeddemon:

20150115_174500.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Don't Forget speaker wire. Very popular on boats as well.

#357 9 years ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Don't Forget speaker wire. Very popular on boats as well.

at least it isn't bare wire.

#358 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

at least it isn't bare wire.

Very, good point!! Does dirty wire count as insulated??

G

#359 9 years ago

"Hey the cabinet art is damaged, what do we do?"
    "Paint it with White Vinyl paint"
    "Good Idea"

971663_194513814033487_1826597098_n.jpg971663_194513814033487_1826597098_n.jpg

#360 9 years ago

Bought a EM one time with a steel cut nail as a fuse .

#362 9 years ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Very, good point!! Does dirty wire count as insulated??
    G

firestarter.jpgfirestarter.jpg

#363 9 years ago

When the flipper bracket holes get stripped out, what's an operator to do??? The natural answer is to use bigger/longer screws of course!!!! The sad part is that the rest of the playfield looks really nice.

IMG_1292.JPGIMG_1292.JPG

IMG_1293.JPGIMG_1293.JPG

IMG_1294.JPGIMG_1294.JPG

#364 9 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

When the flipper bracket holes get stripped out, what's an operator to do??? The natural answer is to use bigger/longer screws of course!!!! The rest of the playfield looks really nice too.
    IMG_1292.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    IMG_1293.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    IMG_1294.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

That shit drives me crazy when I see it!!! I'm like, "really???"

I see it sometimes for the playfield brackets as well.

#365 9 years ago
    Quoted from tezting:

I bought a Getaway where the previous owner had a problem with a transistor.
    But why buy the correct transistor when you can do this and make it work in some way

Billede 13-03-14 20.29.57.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

WTF is that?!

#366 9 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Lifted the playfield of my friend's Space Shuttle tonight and found this......oy...
    IMG_5849.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Ding, Ding, Ding - Folks we have a winner!!

1 week later
    #367 9 years ago

Shopping out a Rollergames. I take off the Apron and I see this. Got a broken ball trough bracket? No problem, I got a paperclip right here. I love the use of office supplies to fix a game.
    20150404_230638-1.jpg20150404_230638-1.jpg

#368 9 years ago

Well, necessity IS the Mother of Invention, right? While replacing the inline drops on my EBD I came across this. Not sure how it started life... maybe a large staple? I'd love to know just how long it had been in there. Was still doing the job when I pulled it.

IMG_3653.JPGIMG_3653.JPG IMG_3658.JPGIMG_3658.JPG
    #369 9 years ago

I have been working on this TAF. Bought it seven years ago in a deal for a TOM which is the machine I really wanted. I never really gave the TAF much of a check out. This TAF has never played well: resets, flakey ball counts, multi ball when it shouldn't be. I never have really liked this game and was too lazy/uninformed to figure it out. After a full rehab on a TZ, IJ, TOM and JD, I thought that I would work on the TAF. Every time I do any thing on this machine a new discovery. Check out this CPU board.jpg"]hack 1.jpghack 1.jpg: check out the glue gun fix on the chip above the ASIC.hack 2.jpghack 2.jpg: close uphack 3.jpghack 3.jpg: flipped over and what have we here?hack 4.jpghack 4.jpg: close up, nice glue gun work.

Any one think it is worth fixing?

#370 9 years ago
    Quoted from reynolds531:

: close up, nice glue gun work.

Any one think it is worth fixing?

Dude, you've got to post some larger pictures!

#371 9 years ago

Let's face it. Fixing up pinball machines is just part of the fun of our pinball hobby. It's like a mystery puzzle. "Let's see....what's the cause of this thing not working...Oh look!...someone used glue to hold steel parts together!" I even consider the hunt for parts to be an element of the "fun".

If you want hassle free entertainment, play a video game or just watch TV.

#372 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Dude, you've got to post some larger pictures!

Mr. Vid, sir: How many times did I look through your tutorials? Countless. I will assume that there is no sarcasm in your comment. Is this better/bigger?

six.jpgsix.jpg
    #373 9 years ago
    Quoted from calico1997:

Let's face it. Fixing up pinball machines is just part of the fun of our pinball hobby. It's like a mystery puzzle. "Let's see....what's the cause of this thing not working...Oh look!...someone used glue to hold steel parts together!" I even consider the hunt for parts to be an element of the "fun".
    If you want hassle free entertainment, play a video game or just watch TV.

I hear you. This TAF is the last in a long line of pin repairs/rehabs taken on and I suspect that I am suffering from "pin repair fatigue syndrome". Most of it has been fun. I have learned so much in a short period of time and that is a good thing.

#374 9 years ago

Id take a heat gun to that crap personally and go through that again. Pdobably was a victim of alkaline damage.

#375 9 years ago
    Quoted from reynolds531:

I will assume that there is no sarcasm in your comment.

None at all.

You can tell when I'm being sarcastic because I talk through my teeth.

Quoted from reynolds531:

Is this better/bigger?

That is one of the most fantastic piles of crap I have ever seen!

I have emailed your larger pic to the techs at work for their viewing pleasure.

#376 9 years ago

That is one of the most fantastic piles of crap I have ever seen!
    I have emailed your larger pic to the techs at work for their viewing pleasure.

I feel........honoured?

#377 9 years ago
    Quoted from reynolds531:

: close up, nice glue gun work

Obviously came from an OP in California.

This is a quality "Inertial Dampener" ... for earthquakes
    faz

#378 9 years ago
    Quoted from woz:

Homemade Gottlieb System 80 CPU Reset board. This was installed in my Black Hole when I purchased it 10 years ago. Amazingly this still works, though I should probably remove it from the game.
    Sys80_Hack.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Holy sh!tballs

#379 9 years ago

Welp, at least that repair is non-toxic.

#380 9 years ago

To me that Addams mpu is the single greatest cluster of all time. That is a beautiful disaster. Like a train wreck man. It makes you sick, butter yet you continue to stare directly into it. Kudos on your patience.

#381 9 years ago
    Quoted from reynolds531:

Mr. Vid, sir: How many times did I look through your tutorials? Countless. I will assume that there is no sarcasm in your comment. Is this better/bigger?

six.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

That is one terrible rats nest. That seems 20x more complicated than the actual fix would be.

#382 9 years ago
    Quoted from Gorno:

That is one terrible rats nest. That seems 20x more complicated than the actual fix would be.

What I don't get is that the soldering job looks clean. Its not like I see a burned up board so why the heck?

#383 9 years ago

Working on my Brothers pins again , here is an interesting one I found just the other day .. he calls & tells me his Apollo 13 just shut off during a game & later explains that he meant it didn't shut off but everything froze up no flippers no nothing but game was still on & lit up I thought it sounded like a problem with the tilt mech. or something but soon found the problem was in/on the coin door someone had installed a modified homemade door bracket for the interlock & memory switches & they purposely cut off the part that would contact & close the interlock switch ....Why? IDK? except maybe for running diagnostics in a different way... anyhow got me thinking he has had this pin for over a year & it has been transported multiple times how did it ever work in the first place with a door bracket like that ? then after looking closer ... I found Super Glue on the interlock switch !! Yes someone actually glued the interlock switch closed here is pics. of door bracket before & after "MY HACK" (temporary repair until we can make a new & proper bracket)

20150403_165741[1].jpg20150403_165741[1].jpg 20150406_170846[1].jpg20150406_170846[1].jpg
    #384 9 years ago
    Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

I found Super Glue on the interlock switch !!

Super glue is one of the worst possible adhesives to use in a pinball machine. It WILL fatigue and shear with vibration. "Shear" is maybe generous, I mean it basically powders itself after a fairly short while. This is assuming we're talking about normal super glue. Fair warning to anyone reading this thread that's thinking about using it.

#385 9 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

Super glue is one of the worst possible adhesives to use in a pinball machine. It WILL fatigue and shear with vibration. "Shear" is maybe generous, I mean it basically powders itself after a fairly short while. This is assuming we're talking about normal super glue. Fair warning to anyone reading this thread that's thinking about using it.

And that particular hack is probably the WORST possible place to use it with a spring pushing against the glue. WTF? I mean, if you were a knucklhead and wanted to defeat the switch, wouldn't you just cut the wires and tape together as needed? The superglue thing has to be the higher-work fubar way to fix this!

#386 9 years ago
    Quoted from mhkohne:

And that particular hack is probably the WORST possible place to use it with a spring pushing against the glue. WTF? I mean, if you were a knucklhead and wanted to defeat the switch, wouldn't you just cut the wires and tape together as needed? The superglue thing has to be the higher-work fubar way to fix this!

You're making the assumption that whoever did this knows how switches work. Step back to the point where you see a light switch as a purely mechanical device and have no idea what's behind there - how would you make sure no one turns it off? Glue is in the solution space!

But yeah, not a great idea. There are other, worse ideas in this thread.

#387 9 years ago

I posted these before but figured they really belong in this thread. I bought this as a project and couldn't get into it until I got home and drilled the locks....

206455.jpg206455.jpg 206456.jpg206456.jpg
    #388 9 years ago
    Quoted from skywelker:

I posted these before but figured they really belong in this thread. I bought this as a project and couldn't get into it until I got home and drilled the locks....

206455.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
    206456.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

....merry chrismas!

#389 9 years ago
    Quoted from skywelker:

Poor Spidey. That repair on the cpu controlled lights is AMAZING.

#390 9 years ago
    Quoted from skywelker:

206455.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
    206456.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

That is different! Attraction mode must be very different than an original game.

#391 9 years ago

Bought a Star War Trilogy from a rather large church that had it for their youth program. I was told it didn't work and they weren't sure if it had ever worked. All of the balls were under the playfield stuck in the under ramp and VUK. Someone's solution to a non working VUK, caused by a simple wire broken off 1 lug of the VUK coil......cut a wood block exactly the size of the Big Hole and caulk it in place. Let's not forget to do the same behind the drop targets.

IMG_3424.JPGIMG_3424.JPG IMG_3427.JPGIMG_3427.JPG IMG_3423.JPGIMG_3423.JPG
    #392 9 years ago
    Quoted from Big70:

cut a wood block exactly the size of the Big Hole and caulk it in place. Let's not forget to do the same behind the drop targets.

wow!

#393 9 years ago
    Quoted from Big70:

a wood block exactly the size of the Big Hole

DODONNA
    The approach will not be easy. You are required to maneuver straight down this trench and skim the surface to this point. The target area is only two inches wide. It's a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port. The shaft leads directly to the reactor system. A precise hit will start a chain reaction which should destroy the death-plug.

A murmur of disbelief runs through the room.

DODONNA
    Only a precise hit will set up a chain reaction. The shaft is ray-shielded, so you'll have to use proton torpedoes.

Luke is sitting next to Wedge Antilles, a hotshot operator about sixteen years old.

WEDGE
    That's impossible, even for a computer.

LUKE
    It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye coin ejects in the sixties back home. They're not much bigger than two inches.

You have your mission.... get to it!

(How'd it turn out? )
    faz

#394 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

DODONNA
    The approach will not be easy. You are required to maneuver straight down this trench and skim the surface to this point. The target area is only two inches wide. It's a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port. The shaft leads directly to the reactor system. A precise hit will start a chain reaction which should destroy the death-plug.
    A murmur of disbelief runs through the room.
    DODONNA
    Only a precise hit will set up a chain reaction. The shaft is ray-shielded, so you'll have to use proton torpedoes.
    Luke is sitting next to Wedge Antilles, a hotshot operator about sixteen years old.
    WEDGE
    That's impossible, even for a computer.
    LUKE
    It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye coin ejects in the sixties back home. They're not much bigger than two inches.
    You have your mission.... get to it!
    (How'd it turn out? )
    faz

Love it. It turned out really good. I've since sold it, but enjoyed the game. I think I've got a better pic of it lit up somewhere on the iPad, but here's a few of it while tearing down. Still needs some residue on playfield taken off in the pics, but it all came off with no art pulled up. Did have the sand smooth the inner edges of the big hole. Cleaned up & played great though.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-561.jpgimage-561.jpg image-547.jpgimage-547.jpg
    #395 9 years ago

These are from the laser war I restored. I wish I took pictures of the ramp that was held together by bumper stickers from the German arcade in which it resided.
    16844038295_e9c474514c_z.jpg16844038295_e9c474514c_z.jpg

2 weeks later
    #396 8 years ago

Besides the zip tie, anyone see the original reason for the flipper relay not working? It is in the picture. 20150429_185858.jpg20150429_185858.jpg

#397 8 years ago

Looks like a transistor got a little warm

#398 8 years ago

Someone soldered with a blow torch

#399 8 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Besides the zip tie, anyone see the original reason for the flipper relay not working? It is in the picture. 20150429_185858.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Did someone patch the board under the transistor with wire braid?

#400 8 years ago

Ha, one of the resistors is backwards, right? I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be burnt side away from the transistor.

There are 4,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.