(Topic ID: 28788)

Worst hack/repair you ever saw.

By mcclad

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17137452019287598807293974414584 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    There are 4,671 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 94.
    #3851 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What else would you do? The tape is easily reversible. I used super glue on a pair I had.

I replaced the hack with a true 16 pin housing.

#3852 1 year ago
    Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Exactly.

What a novel idea... finding the correct parts.

#3853 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What else would you do? The tape is easily reversible. I used super glue on a pair I had.

I did one with tape like that on my EBD aux lamp board in a pinch. I think I may have one with the right # of slots on hand now, I should replace it since I already put new pins in that connector.

#3854 1 year ago

Diner hack. Thanks for.leaving in the fuse.

20220916_092958 (resized).jpg20220916_092958 (resized).jpg
    #3855 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

[quoted image]

The wide use of lamp cord is "essential" when doing professional repairs.

#3856 1 year ago

[quoted image]

At least it still has the warranty sticker.

#3857 1 year ago
    Quoted from bayoubilly70:

wait until you need a 28 pin wafer and they can't be bought.

#3858 1 year ago

When I occasionally need to replace one bad connector with two, I use a Sharpie to make a mark on both housings where they match up when installed. Quick reminder for the brain. Also, if either housing needs to be trimmed down, use the trimmed side on the outside, not next to the other housing. Smooth factory sides next to each other when installed. Keys, toothpick or whatever, should always be replaced on female housings. Tape or super glue isn't a good idea. Mark them in a way you'll remember.

#3859 1 year ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

When I occasionally need to replace one bad connector with two, I use a Sharpie to make a mark on both housings where they match up when installed. Quick reminder for the brain. Also, if either housing needs to be trimmed down, use the trimmed side on the outside, not next to the other housing. Smooth factory sides next to each other when installed. Keys, toothpick or whatever, should always be replaced on female housings. Tape or super glue isn't a good idea. Mark them in a way you'll remember.

In a pinch I've used small wire ties as
    keying pins .

#3860 1 year ago

Away with those pesky brittle sockets.

20220916_083526 (resized).jpg20220916_083526 (resized).jpg
    #3861 1 year ago

[quoted image]

Oh that's horrible. Thanks for bringing this thread on track.

#3862 1 year ago

[quoted image]

Should have duct tape over it for protection.

#3863 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

wait until you need a 28 pin wafer and they can't be bought.

Steve at PBR has them. He was the other guy that had them made with Ed at GPE. Bought a hundred from Ed as my last giant order from him. Gonna miss that guy and his store.

Shawn

#3864 1 year ago

[quoted image]

That's like a whole new level of fuckery!

#3865 1 year ago

[quoted image]

The tech may have dropped the socket on the floor and couldn't find it in a dark location. No spares... just solder the bulb in! Uggg. reversible/repairable, but ugggggg.

#3866 1 year ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

The tech may have dropped the socket on the floor and couldn't find it in a dark location. No spares... just solder the bulb in! Uggg. reversible/repairable, but ugggggg.

Honestly, it's really not that bad.

When shopping out a game, I usually remove and go over those lamp boards with a soldering iron anyway. Add a dab of solder for all the header pins (to ensure there's no cold solder joints), and smooth out any divots for the pads that make contact with the twist socket bulb holders.

#3867 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Honestly, it's really not that bad.
    When shopping out a game, I usually remove and go over those lamp boards with a soldering iron anyway. Add a dab of solder for all the header pins (to ensure there's no cold solder joints), and smooth out any divots for the pads that make contact with the twist socket bulb holders.

You should add checking the diodes while its out if its a data east machine.

#3868 1 year ago
    Quoted from gutz:

You should add checking the diodes while its out if its a data east machine.

I only do that if a lamp is malfunctioning, but yes, that is a common failure point on lamp boards.

#3869 1 year ago

They modified the game for the kids. Lota of work drilling steel legs.

20220920_145328 (resized).jpg20220920_145328 (resized).jpg20220920_145332 (resized).jpg20220920_145332 (resized).jpg
    #3870 1 year ago

[quoted image][quoted image]

Better in an easily replaceable set of legs than extra holes in the cabinet....

#3871 1 year ago

At least that's easily fixable.

#3872 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

At least that's easily fixable.

Maybe they also put a squeeze of epoxy under each leg to hold those legs in place??? (Kidding)

LOL

#3873 1 year ago

Kids love standing on these. Much easier solution.

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 5.44.54 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-09-20 at 5.44.54 PM (resized).png
    #3874 1 year ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Kids love standing on these. Much easier solution.
    [quoted image]

I was thinking the same. Otherwise, take the legs off and set it on four crates.

#3875 1 year ago

Maybe they also put a squeeze of epoxy under each leg to hold those legs in place??? LOL

The unnecessary flat washers in front of the bolts suggest otherwise, but who knows?

#3876 1 year ago

Lota of work drilling steel legs.

Not really. About 30 minutes to make a jig. Drilling 8 holes on a drill press is nothing. and they look like rusted legs.

#3877 1 year ago

I'd be worried about the gap between the top of the legs and the cabinet where a kid could get a finger stuck.

#3878 1 year ago

I guess they could have cut four holes in the floor, one for each leg... Again, having too much fun with the possibilities here.... LOL!

#3879 1 year ago

I guess they could have cut four holes in the floor, one for each leg... Again, having too much fun with the possibilities here.... LOL!

They could have taken a hack saw and cut the lower 6 inches of the legs off.

#3880 1 year ago

Gee - I wonder if this is why my solenoids sometimes seem weak on my Centaur.

(BR2)

7647391B-9801-4C4F-9FE6-950F79E18615 (resized).jpeg7647391B-9801-4C4F-9FE6-950F79E18615 (resized).jpegB2E831F3-C14F-4627-A986-3B969BE47F0C (resized).jpegB2E831F3-C14F-4627-A986-3B969BE47F0C (resized).jpeg
    #3881 1 year ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

(BR2)

That's not a bridge rectifier, that's a bridge rectifier's little sister.

#3882 1 year ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

(BR2)

I dunno, my old Sylvania ECG book shows that as a valid replacement part.

#3883 1 year ago

If it's roughly the same shape and has the same number of legs, 30% of the time it will work 100%.

#3884 1 year ago

Bridge rectifiers all do the same thing, but vary greatly in voltage and power handling, which ultimately drives heat dissipation as well. In general power supply replacement, my rule is bigger is better… as long as the voltage and current meet or exceed the original, the bigger the heat sink and case the better.

#3885 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I dunno, my old Sylvania ECG book shows that as a valid replacement part.

If you want to go nerdy, the specs that are important is the 'thermal resistance', 'max power dissipation', and 'junction temperature'.

Here's a simple transistor as an example.

The thermal resistance w/a heat sink is 97 C/W, meaning for every 1W dissipated, the junction temp goes up 97 degrees C.

Next, they state the part can dissipate 1.8W. So plugging that in the equation above, you get 97C/W x 1.8W = 174.6C (dissipating 1.8W will result in the junction temperature increasing 174.6C). This is not the junction temperature, it's just the increase in temperature - that's important to note.

Then to figure the actual junction temperature of the part, you add the ambient temperature of 25C (i.e. room temperature, 77F) to the rise: 25C+174.6C=199.6C. That number agrees with the maximum temperature it can operate at (200C). If ambient temperature was higher (i.e. 50C instead), then you couldn't dissipate the full 1.8W (it would be 1.5W at 50C ambient).

So for a part to run cooler (for the same power dissipation), you look for a lower thermal resistance (for example, 50 C/W instead of 97 C/W). One other thing that is important is to look at the number above the 97 C/W...that's 438 C/W. That means without a heatsink, if you tried to dissipate 1.8W...1.8W x 438C/W =788C! That shows the importance of a heatsink.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Sorry for the minor thread derail.

There will be a test later.

#3886 1 year ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

That's not a bridge rectifier, that's a bridge rectifier's little sister.

#3887 1 year ago

Bridge rectifiers are far and away my favorite electronic component. So simple, yet so powerful. They take wild ass alternating current, always going up and down, never sure where it's going to stop, and convert into amazing smooth direct current, which is so much more useful. And despite being larger than it's neighboring components, it has only four simple diodes inside. Not much to break and very easy to diagnose when one diode does occasionally fail.

I, for one, feel we should erect statues and monuments dedicated to bridge rectifiers. Forget the Golden Gate Bridge. We should rename it the Bridge Rectifier Bridge. I'll start a petition. Bridge rectifiers: The real unsung heroes of pinball.

#3888 1 year ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Bridge rectifiers are far and away my favorite electronic component. So simple, yet so powerful. They take wild ass alternating current, always going up and down, never sure where it's going to stop, and convert into amazing smooth direct current, which is so much more useful. And despite being larger than it's neighboring components, it has only four simple diodes inside. Not much to break and very easy to diagnose when one diode does occasionally fail.
    I, for one, feel we should erect statues and monuments dedicated to bridge rectifiers. Forget the Golden Gate Bridge. We should rename it the Bridge Rectifier Bridge. I'll start a petition. Bridge rectifiers: The real unsung heroes of pinball.

I wouldn't call it smooth DC. It looks like this:

Add a smoothing cap:

Now we're getting closer.

#3889 1 year ago
    Quoted from ajfclark:

I wouldn't call it smooth DC. It looks like this:

I don't usually refer to AC power as wild-ass either, but I was exaggerating to make a point. Do you have a favorite component?

#3890 1 year ago

Most important part of the picture above is the capacitor charging/discharging curve. The capacitor only charges when rectifier output is higher than capacitor voltage. Rest of time it just supplies current, or discharges. This means the peak current from rectifier might be 10x higher than average load current. And that's why 35 amp rectifiers are used - and sometimes fail - in average 2 amp circuit.

#3891 1 year ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

I don't usually refer to AC power as wild-ass either, but I was exaggerating to make a point. Do you have a favorite component?

Coils in their various forms and their interactions with magnetism are really cool to me.

#3892 1 year ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Do you have a favorite component?

This feels like it needs its own separate thread.

#3893 1 year ago
    Quoted from Redfive05:

I love drop down targets, they are simply wonderful. Love it when then fall down, love it even more when the whole bank reset with a "clack".

So sad that many modern pins avoid them, guess they add to much to BOM compared to boring stand up targets.

#3894 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I love drop down targets, they are simply wonderful. Love it when then fall down, love it even more when the whole bank reset with a "clack".
    So sad that many modern pins avoid them, guess they add to much to BOM compared to boring stand up targets.

Yes I like them also I think the new pins with the stand up they are cheaper too make I guess and the drop targets are too much too make they are cheaping out

#3895 1 year ago
    Quoted from Redfive05:

Don't even get me started on Darlington transistors. I could tell you some stories.

#3896 1 year ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

Yes I like them also I think the new pins with the stand up they are cheaper too make I guess and the drop targets are too much too make they are cheaping out

They made tons of games without drop targets that are great even after drop targets were invented. I don't think drop targets are automatically better. Difficult to spread them around the playfield easily like you can with a simple target, too.

#3897 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

Quoted from Williampinball:

new pins with the stand up they are cheaper too make I guess and the drop targets are too much too make they are cheaping out

Stand up targets are just two switch blades and a mounting bracket. Drop targets have all kinds of machinery used to make them.

#3898 1 year ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Don't even get me started on Darlington transistors. I could tell you some stories.

#3899 1 year ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

They made tons of games without drop targets that are great even after drop targets were invented. I don't think drop targets are automatically better. Difficult to spread them around the playfield easily like you can with a simple target, too.

I love the fact that drops can be used to change the flow of shots. Like the single drop at the end of the right orbit on STTNG or the one in front of the ramp on Space Station, or, or, or. Stand ups can't do that.

1 week later
    #3900 1 year ago
    Quoted from ajfclark:

I love the fact that drops can be used to change the flow of shots. Like the single drop at the end of the right orbit on STTNG or the one in front of the ramp on Space Station, or, or, or. Stand ups can't do that.

Agreed that drop targets are almost a must for a full, classic era feel. By classic, I mean early SS.

There are 4,671 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/78 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.