Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,667 posts
  • 733 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by Tuukka
  • Topic is favorited by 314 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240321_180554 (resized).jpg
    68714440943__356B9A98-CA54-4C2A-A85D-8E5C24E9F1AA (resized).jpeg
    There are 4,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 94.
    #3801 1 year ago
    Quoted from semicolin:

My back would kill for that applicator, but all of my bosses were always too damn cheap to buy one. Glad I got out of stage work and into being an electrician. Same amount of bending over, but for four times the pay.

you get a thumbs up for your comment and your avatar. I wonder how many people are familiar with the 'happy tree friends'?

#3802 1 year ago

I really need to get to storage and take a picture of our Haunted House boards. someone drilled holes on the boards edge connectors and added .156 molex pins/connectors. I'll say I was like wtf, but the game works great and has never had any board related problems lol.

#3803 1 year ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

you get a thumbs up for your comment and your avatar. I wonder how many people are familiar with the 'happy tree friends'?

I remember when Spike and Mike used to run the earliest ones in their sick and Twisted festival of Animation at Comic Con. People in the audience would go nuts the moment you heard the theme:

#3804 1 year ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Seriously?!?!?!?! If we’re gonna ban flavored cigarettes and cigars, let’s ban fucking duct tape also (you should only be able to buy it if you have an HVAC license-just like refrigerant). I suppose it’s best that I don’t actually see people doing stupid Shit like this first hand…I’m tired of the “Ryan, how many times have you been to jail?” And other lame bullshit questions/convos
    [quoted image]

cigarettes and cigars cause cancer for you and those who get inflicted with having to breathe second hand smoke. Duct tape used for pinball repairs is just annoying, but it won't kill you. I think we need a better analogy. But it is pretty stupid.

#3805 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Duct tape used for pinball repairs is just annoying, but it won't kill you.

I think we need to ban any further discussions of duck, duct, or gaffer tape from this thread....it's just annoying.

#3806 1 year ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

I think we need to ban any further discussions of duck, duct, or gaffer tape from this thread....it's just annoying.

Let's start up on Gottlieb ground fixes again

#3807 1 year ago
    Quoted from iamdrunker:

I learned something today! So I'm assuming a Gaffer is someone in the move set industry?

Chief electrician or lighting tech. Hence the tape being used to tape cables down, be removable afterwards, and frequently be invisible on set.

Best Boy is often their first assistant.

Quoted from girloveswaffles:

It can also be put down with an application device:

That thing is amazing to watch:

Such a good idea.

#3808 1 year ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Quoted from Cheddar:

Let's start up on Gottlieb ground fixes again

I think we need someone using gaffer tape on the Gottlieb grounds. Then we can be done with those discussions.

Maybe...

#3809 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

All I can remember is when Duck Tape hit the market the quality of duct tape you could buy off the shelf declined. Until Gorilla tape came along.
    https://tapeuniversity.com/industry/building-construction/duct-tape-and-duck-tape/#:~:text=Duck%20Brand®%20duct%20tape,the%20back%20of%20a%20duck.
    * Modern duct tape was first invented in 1942 in the midst of World War II.
    * The term “duck tape” today refers to a specific brand of duct tape. Duck Brand® duct tape takes its name from the original name of duct tape. This name came from two factors. First, the tape was originally made from an army green cotton duck fabric. And second, the water-resistant properties of the tape were said to repel water like the back of a duck.
    [quoted image]

For duct tape, I use the t-rex brand. Much stronger and more durable than duck brand tape. The difference is night and day.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012APXVBM/

When I was doing AV stuff, I went through cases of gaffer's tape. Like most things, there are multiple brands with different qualities. There was one brand I liked, but the company stopped making it. Since individual rolls are expensive, I haven't found a comparable replacement that I like yet that doesn't cost a fortune per roll.

#3810 1 year ago
    Quoted from ajfclark:

Chief electrician or lighting tech. Hence the tape being used to tape cables down, be removable afterwards, and frequently be invisible on set.

Such a good idea.

Yeah! That's the model we SHOULD have at work! Ours isn't that good (and it is a Gaff Gun too).

#3811 1 year ago
    Quoted from GoldenOreos:

I really need to get to storage and take a picture of our Haunted House boards. someone drilled holes on the boards edge connectors and added .156 molex pins/connectors. I'll say I was like wtf, but the game works great and has never had any board related problems lol.

When in doubt, drill. That's my policy.

#3812 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

For duct tape, I use the t-rex brand. Much stronger and more durable than duck brand tape. The difference is night and day.

Thank you. I put a roll of that in my Amazon cart--save for later. It is cheaper than Gorilla tape.

#3813 1 year ago
    Quoted from ajfclark:

Such a good idea.

I want a GaffGun but I don’t know why!!!

#3814 1 year ago

And I thought the zip tied duct tape was bad…how does this shit find me?

5868AEC0-82E8-4AFE-8875-FD4F4D7A739D (resized).jpeg5868AEC0-82E8-4AFE-8875-FD4F4D7A739D (resized).jpeg
    #3815 1 year ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

[quoted image]

I prefer the round style door bell button for myself

#3816 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I prefer the round style door bell button for myself

The round door bell switch is a mod.

Retro square ones are the correct ones for a factory look....

#3817 1 year ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

[quoted image]

That coin door mod is epic. Someone worked hard to get that to fit.

#3818 1 year ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

[quoted image]

Does that mean it’s 35c or 50c per play?

#3819 1 year ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

[quoted image]

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doorbell-clubknock-before-entering#post-3724341

#3820 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

The round door bell switch is a mod.
    Retro square ones are the correct ones for a factory look....

Quoted from Peruman:

That coin door mod is epic. Someone worked hard to get that to fit.

I can see it now. Doorbell mods will be the new Custom shooter rod mod.

#3821 1 year ago

Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 12.26.59 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-28 at 12.26.59 PM (resized).png

As if its very existence is not self-explanatory enough, a doorbell is never complete without a handwritten note. The "push doorbell button for credits" label posted right there on the glass would look more authentic as ballpoint pen on spiral notebook paper and Scotch tape.

#3823 1 year ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

[quoted image]

Looks like Mondial worked out a JV between Bally/Midway and Gottlieb.

#3824 1 year ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

I want a GaffGun but I don’t know why!!!

You'll be the most popular person at tournaments and shows where people bring their machines in...

#3825 1 year ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

[quoted image]

Is the knocker sound now "ding dong"?

#3826 1 year ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

Is the knocker sound now "ding dong"?

#3827 1 year ago

Here is a WPC neophyte repair or a revenge repair...I do not know.
    No 12+ volts? I wonder why
    IMG_0008[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0008[1] (resized).JPG
    No 50+volts? I wonder why
    IMG_0009[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0009[1] (resized).JPG
    No 18+volts? I wonder why
    IMG_0010[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0010[1] (resized).JPG
    Finally, no 5+volts... I wonder why.
    IMG_0011[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0011[1] (resized).JPG
    Traces and through holes contacts all torn up. Fun,fun,fun.

#3828 1 year ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Looks like a fun afternoon to clean this all up and add some wires where the traces are missing.

#3829 1 year ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

And the original bridges were probably fine....

#3830 1 year ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

And the original bridges were probably fine....

As Johnny Carson would say "so true".

#3831 1 year ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

C30 will require a stitch as well, otherwise you'll be wondering why it still isn't working.

#3832 1 year ago

Probably not the worst, but this one's always fun...

IMG_20220908_072207092 (resized).jpgIMG_20220908_072207092 (resized).jpg

#3833 1 year ago

I like that empty light socket. Do you suppose that was the work light used during the soldering work?

#3834 1 year ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

I like that empty light socket. Do you suppose that was the work light used during the soldering work?

A real professional would but a bit of duct tape over each joint...

F#ck shrink tubing....

#3835 1 year ago
    Quoted from bayoubilly70:

For some reason I have to think that whoever did this was not aware that a proper repair was possible. Or maybe they thought this was the only way to repair it. It certainly took a lot more time and effort to do it wrong.

#3836 1 year ago

They didn’t have crimps or a crimper. What’s a guy to do?

#3837 1 year ago

[quoted image]

Quoted from Pinball_Postal:

For some reason I have to think that whoever did this was not aware that a proper repair was possible. Or maybe they thought this was the only way to repair it. It certainly took a lot more time and effort to do it wrong.

Quoted from undrdog:

They didn’t have crimps or a crimper. What’s a guy to do?

Bally actually taught this as well as soldering a few burnt connectors wires to the Test points to get a machine running and making money when a technician didn't have the proper parts.

#3838 1 year ago

Thought pattern:

What moron did this.

Oh, they hacked some tension as the post is a bit loose.

Oh, the damn T-nut is stripped and the post won't come out.

Few of these.. but finally got the T-nuts out.. but man, this was quite frustrating for me... just trying to shop it out :/

20220908_193224 (resized).jpg20220908_193224 (resized).jpg
    #3839 1 year ago

The spinner wasnt working so a trip to the office supply store was in order. 2 paper clips and some electrical tape to prevent it from shorting on the lamps

16629060796094836127793997406968 (resized).jpg16629060796094836127793997406968 (resized).jpg16629061103273907257212772011511 (resized).jpg16629061103273907257212772011511 (resized).jpg
    #3840 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

The spinner wasnt working so a trip to the office supply store was in order. 2 paper clips and some electrical tape to prevent it from shorting on the lamps
    [quoted image][quoted image]

The tape makes it look factory, all is good now.

#3841 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

[quoted image][quoted image]

What was he doing? Adding weight so the spinner would stay up straight?

#3842 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What was he doing? Adding weight so the spinner would stay up straight?

I have no idea, wondering too.
    No lamps near to short circuit also, strange...

#3843 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I have no idea, wondering too.
    No lamps near to short circuit also, strange...

Probably to make the contacts closer together. Or just bend them like everyone else does.

#3844 1 year ago

Maybe to keep the wire attached to the switch blade? They could have just pinched the loop closed just a bit.

#3845 1 year ago

Perhaps it’s a cheat to keep people from racking up too many points with the spinner

#3846 1 year ago

... or to take up any teeny bit of slack between the spinner wire and the switch blade w/ the hole in it... for... whatever reason anybody would need to do that. Doesn't really look like it could keep the blade from coming loose from the wire, but maybe.

#3847 1 year ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Maybe to keep the wire attached to the switch blade? They could have just pinched the loop closed just a bit.

Like any other switch on a pinball, spinner blades can be adjusted----to a completely neutral position.

#3848 1 year ago

Axles on spinner are probably tweaked, causing the spinner not to rest at the right position, mostly vertical. Clips add a little weight to pull the target into the right position. Easy enough to test. Take off clips and tape and see how the target sits.

#3849 1 year ago

When you don't have a 16 pin housing, get two 8 pin and tape them together with scotch tape.

Sheesh!

IMG_20220916_093038337 (resized).jpgIMG_20220916_093038337 (resized).jpg

#3850 1 year ago

When you don't have a 16 pin housing, get two 8 pin and tape them together with scotch tape.
    Sheesh!
    [quoted image]

What else would you do? The tape is easily reversible. I used super glue on a pair I had.

There are 4,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.