Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,665 posts
  • 733 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by mojonitro
  • Topic is favorited by 313 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240321_180554 (resized).jpg
    68714440943__356B9A98-CA54-4C2A-A85D-8E5C24E9F1AA (resized).jpeg
    68714440123__30A6C9F0-7A87-4D13-882F-CC6C530664AA (resized).jpeg
    362393458_1478280539605169_7357000172916421133_n (resized).jpg
    There are 4,665 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 94.
    #3651 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ceckitti:

I’m guessing the previous owner wasn’t a fan of those in lanes.

Indeed, but at least they committed to the "mirrored artwork" aesthetic by reversing the "1" pop bumper cap.

#3652 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ceckitti:

[quoted image][quoted image]

How many dry wall screws were there before that coat hanger job was added?

#3653 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ceckitti:

That's one way too keep the ball in play lol

#3654 1 year ago

Thought I had seen all there was to see on this White Water. Whoever did this is an asshole. On one of the Fliptronics fuses, hidden under the ribbon cables, they jumpered a blown fuse. They put the jumpered side down so you had to take the fuse out to see the jumper. Id have preferred tin foil lol

20220801_180225.jpg20220801_180225.jpg
    20220801_180240.jpg20220801_180240.jpg

#3655 1 year ago

Custom battery holder for cyclone. Pill bottle, soldered batteries. Creativity

20220801_160347 (resized).jpg20220801_160347 (resized).jpg20220801_160354 (resized).jpg20220801_160354 (resized).jpg20220801_160409 (resized).jpg20220801_160409 (resized).jpg20220801_160418 (resized).jpg20220801_160418 (resized).jpg
    #3656 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's a new one I guess what u have laying around

#3657 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

Thought I had seen all there was to see on this White Water. Whoever did this is an asshole. On one of the Fliptronics fuses, hidden under the ribbon cables, they jumpered a blown fuse. They put the jumpered side down so you had to take the fuse out to see the jumper. Id have preferred tin foil lol
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Whenever I'm working on a game, I have made it a habit to remove and inspect all the fuses for any issues and make sure they are all the correct values.

First time I've seen something like that intentionally hidden, though.

#3658 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

bonus points for trying to create an "anti-leak" mod for the batteries?

#3659 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ceckitti:

Is that nasty old lead-based plumbing solder he used to eliminate the lanes?

#3660 1 year ago

Just pulled the drop target mech from my STTNG and I'm horrified. Is there a prize for greatest number of botched hacks to a single mech? Let's take a closer look.

1. Base: Screws to attach mech to playfield replaced with much longer screws. Didn't bother using the holes in the base for one since it would involve the trouble of feeding the nut driver around some wires, so screwed down the outside corner of the base in a new angled hole instead.

2. Microswitch: not quite sure what's going on here. Wrong switch entirely, swapped in from who-knows-where; a toaster perhaps? Looks like it's attached to the mech with some random bent/unbent scrap of metal, and by a single screw, plus it's still got a clipped wire attached to it, which may or may not be from this game.

3. Reset plate: let's replace this with a key! Maybe it's the key to the coindoor lock that I had to drill to get into the machine.

4. Target knockdown assembly: coil is missing entirely, and actuator arm is strangely bent, perhaps to keep the target from moving at all. Not that that could possibly happen with this mech.

5. Target: swapped in from a Terminator 2! Maybe the whole mech was swapped in from a Terminator 2 to replace a worse mech, but again, I can't see how that's possible. Spring has been pulled out of shape. And then there's the missing plastic ledge that the face of the target rides against on its way down, not that this one ever goes down. Looks like something that may have once been a pop bumper fiber yoke has been cut down and hot glued in its place.

6: Coil stop: One of the studs has been sheared off entirely. No problem, one stud will do, especially if we install the coil stop loosely and at an angle.

Fortunately the fix for this mess will be quite easy, just buy an entirely new one. Bright side: I now have a replacement drop target for my T2 with a relatively nice decal, should that one ever break.
    100_3465 (resized).JPG100_3465 (resized).JPG100_3466 (resized).JPG100_3466 (resized).JPG100_3470 (resized).JPG100_3470 (resized).JPG
    100_3471 (resized).JPG100_3471 (resized).JPG

#3661 1 year ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Just pulled the drop target mech from my STTNG and I'm horrified. Is there a prize for greatest number of botched hacks to a single mech? Let's take a closer look.
    1. Base: Screws to attach mech to playfield replaced with much longer screws. Didn't bother using the holes in the base for one since it would involve the trouble of feeding the nut driver around some wires, so screwed down the outside corner of the base in a new angled hole instead.
    2. Microswitch: not quite sure what's going on here. Wrong switch entirely, swapped in from who-knows-where; a toaster perhaps? Looks like it's attached to the mech with some random bent/unbent scrap of metal, and by a single screw, plus it's still got a clipped wire attached to it, which may or may not be from this game.
    3. Reset plate: let's replace this with a key! Maybe it's the key to the coindoor lock that I had to drill to get into the machine.
    4. Target knockdown assembly: coil is missing entirely, and actuator arm is strangely bent, perhaps to keep the target from moving at all. Not that that could possibly happen with this mech.
    5. Target: swapped in from a Terminator 2! Maybe the whole mech was swapped in from a Terminator 2 to replace a worse mech, but again, I don't see how that's possible. Spring has been pulled out of shape. And then there's the missing plastic ledge that the face of the target rides against on its way down, not that this one ever goes down. Looks like something that may have once been a pop bumper fiber yoke has been cut down and hot glued in its place.
    6: Coil stop: One of the studs has been sheared off entirely. No problem, one stud will do, especially if we install the coil stop loosely and at an angle.
    Fortunately the fix for this mess will be quite easy, just buy en entirely new one. Bright side: I now have a replacement drop target for my T2 with a relatively nice decal, should that one ever break.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Excellent , love the Key.... I think that is the switch from my washing machine lid interlock ... Big question , was the Tie Back mod done on it ....

#3662 1 year ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

5. Target: swapped in from a Terminator 2! Maybe the whole mech was swapped in from a Terminator 2 to replace a worse mech, but again, I don't see how that's possible. Spring has been pulled out of shape. And then there's the missing plastic ledge that the face of the target rides against on its way down, not that this one ever goes down. Looks like something that may have once been a pop bumper fiber yoke has been cut down and hot glued in its place.
    Fortunately the fix for this mess will be quite easy, just buy en entirely new one. Bright side: I now have a replacement drop target for my T2 with a relatively nice decal, should that one ever break.
    [quoted image]

Mine also had a key there. Obviously somewhere along the line people figured out it was a quick hack to replace a part with something they had loads of on hand.

Keep in mind too, this vibration ridden mech is where they decided to attached the tieback line that stops the aux board exploding...

Discussion: http://www.pinballrevolution.com/threads/13-sttng-tie-back-mod-best-way.3954/

#3663 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mageek:

Excellent , love the Key.... I think that is the switch from my washing machine lid interlock ... Big question , was the Tie Back mod done on it ....

Quoted from ajfclark:

Keep in mind too, this vibration ridden mech is where they decided to attached the tieback line that stops the aux board exploding...
    Discussion: http://www.pinballrevolution.com/threads/13-sttng-tie-back-mod-best-way.3954/

Not the first mentions I've seen of this mysterious "tie back mod". Before I delve into your link later, perhaps a terse summation of what exactly it is?

#3664 1 year ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Not the first mentions I've seen of this mysterious "tie back mod". Before I delve into your link later, perhaps a terse summation of what exactly it is?

The aux board should only really have had flashers hanging off it. Because they put coils on it, there is the usual DC feedback from the coils as the magnetic field collapses.

There needs to be a diode in the circuit etc to protect the transistors. Sadly, rather than do something in the backbox, they used a thin wire from the coil of the single drop reset back to the boards. If that wire vibrates off, you loose all your protection for your transistors on the aux board. They get fried, lock on, and your subway gets toasted.

Picture for 1000 words:
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Much discussion: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-tieback

#3665 1 year ago
    Quoted from ajfclark:

The aux board should only really have had flashers hanging off it. Because they put coils on it, there is the usual DC feedback from the coils as the magnetic field collapses.
    There needs to be a diode in the circuit etc to protect the transistors. Sadly, rather than do something in the backbox, they used a thin wire from the coil of the single drop reset back to the boards. If that wire vibrates off, you loose all your protection for your transistors on the aux board. They get fried, lock on, and your subway gets toasted.
    Picture for 1000 words:
    [quoted image]
    Much discussion: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-tieback

My brand new subway that I just bought? Hell if I'm gonna let that happen. Thanks for the info.

So, the finished mod should look like the diagram on the right, right?

#3666 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Whenever I'm working on a game, I have made it a habit to remove and inspect all the fuses for any issues and make sure they are all the correct values.
    First time I've seen something like that intentionally hidden, though.

I did this for a while, then got lazy or something and stopped, idk. Gonna start doing it again

#3667 1 year ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

My brand new subway that I just bought? Hell if I'm gonna let that happen. Thanks for the info.
    So, the finished mod should look like the diagram on the right, right?

Because J106, J107 and J108 share the first 3 pins (you can check for continuity between them with a meter):

I find it easier to to utilise the unused J108 as per the link I originally posted. All you need is a 3 pin socket and a single pin to crimp on.

Otherwise, yes, you can put a jumper and punch it straight into the existing IDC:

#3668 1 year ago

picked up a gottlieb Baseball from 1970. was nearly the end of the 2" flipper era. so was common back then for the operators 'converted' them to 3" flippers.

so this meant drilling new holes into the playfield

20220804_171413 (resized).jpg20220804_171413 (resized).jpg20220804_171424 (resized).jpg20220804_171424 (resized).jpg
    #3669 1 year ago

I once bought an old Bally game, originally with 2" flippers, but 3" flippers installed. The seller had found out that if both flippers are up, draining is impossible. So he had quite cleverly installed relays on flipper circuits, to prevent one flipper energizing if the other is already up.

#3670 1 year ago

Why adjust the flipper when you can just drill a new hole and reposition the post?

post (resized).pngpost (resized).png
    #3671 1 year ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Why adjust the flipper when you can just drill a new hole and reposition the post?
    [quoted image]

Always another way to skin a cat.

#3672 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

I once bought an old Bally game, originally with 2" flippers, but 3" flippers installed. The seller had found out that if both flippers are up, draining is impossible. So he had quite cleverly installed relays on flipper circuits, to prevent one flipper energizing if the other is already up.

That must have been quite an awkward feeling when playing that game. Pressing the flipper button and nothing happens would feel very odd, even if just for a split second of normal flipper play.

#3673 1 year ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

That must have been quite an awkward feeling when playing that game. Pressing the flipper button and nothing happens would feel very odd, even if just for a split second of normal flipper play.

Sure. And that's why the 3" flippers and relays were quite soon disposed of

#3674 1 year ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

5. Target: swapped in from a Terminator 2! Maybe the whole mech was swapped in from a Terminator 2 to replace a worse mech, but again, I can't see how that's possible. Spring has been pulled out of shape. And then there's the missing plastic ledge that the face of the target rides against on its way down, not that this one ever goes down. Looks like something that may have once been a pop bumper fiber yoke has been cut down and hot glued in its place.
    Fortunately the fix for this mess will be quite easy, just buy an entirely new one. Bright side: I now have a replacement drop target for my T2 with a relatively nice decal, should that one ever break.
    [quoted image]

I keep thinking I've seen it all, but every time I visit this thread, I am completely shocked an amazed. That's a new one, using a key for your drop target mech. Love it!

1 week later
    #3676 1 year ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

Wow that's a good one I guess use what u have lol

I have seen this before. Cringe.
    I just drill through and install a t-nut. Perfect.

This thread stirs my emotions. Lol.

#3677 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I have seen this before. Cringe.
    I just drill through and install a t-nut. Perfect.
    This thread stirs my emotions. Lol.

Yes same here some times things I have seen before how sweet is that lol

#3678 1 year ago

Started on this DE Star Trek thats been sitting for 20+ years. Luckily no corrosion from the 20 year old Duracells. Greeted by this in the backbox though. Hows your Monday going?
    20220815_094420.jpg20220815_094420.jpg

#3679 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

Started on this DE Star Trek thats been sitting for 20+ years. Luckily no corrosion from the 20 year old Duracells. Greeted by this in the backbox though. Hows your Monday going?
    [quoted image]

First glance it looks like alot of soldering and some wirenuts were used to replace connectors which may have been harder to find for the previous owner. Or maybe they didn't know how to crimp pins or have the right tool. I suspect you'll find that kind of brute force throughout. "But the boards *look* clean"!! LOL

#3680 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

[quoted image]

I'm trying to understand the logic for the green shrink tube at that connector pin.

#3681 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm trying to understand the logic for the green shrink tube at that connector pin.

My guess would be too much exposed wire, so risk of short when they get pulled a bit as they are?

#3682 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

[quoted image]

The Duracell scares me more than the hacked connector.

#3683 1 year ago
    Quoted from koji:

The Duracell scares me more than the hacked connector.

I pulled Duracell's of the same vintage, month and year, out of an EATPM last week. It didn't go as well. Rob Anthony will have to spend some quality time with the CPU board before it will ever work again. Customer had no idea game had batteries. Twist: Duracell's in poster's game are DC Ultras and Elvira had DC Powerchecks, where you could test the battery by touching two spots on the battery.

Also, shocked to see how minty CN1 and CN2 look. Those are usually the first to get toasty.

IMG_20220815_143940_0 (resized).jpgIMG_20220815_143940_0 (resized).jpg
    #3684 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

[quoted image]

Wire nuts AND tape. How thorough!

#3685 1 year ago

Not a terrible hack, but a why would you change up and make more work. The machine screws were all replaced with threaded rod and metal acorn nuts applied. Even for the inlanes.

20220816_152753 (resized).jpg20220816_152753 (resized).jpg20220816_152814 (resized).jpg20220816_152814 (resized).jpg
    #3686 1 year ago
    Quoted from chad:

Not a terrible hack, but a why would you change up and make more work. The machine screws were all replaced with threaded rod and metal acorn nuts applied. Even for the inlanes. [quoted image][quoted image]

They look great!

#3687 1 year ago
    Quoted from Schwaggs:

Wire nuts AND tape. How thorough!

That was my first thought. The time it took to tape after using wire nuts. Sigh.

#3688 1 year ago

But if you are going to go to all that trouble for the "look", at least polish the acorn nuts.

#3689 1 year ago

If I can remove the plastics to change bulbs without having to remove the posts and rubbers and then put it all back together, it would be worth the extra work. I may look into that.

Quoted from DCRand:

But if you are going to go to all that trouble for the "look", at least polish the acorn nuts.

He went to all that trouble and didn't get stainless acorn nuts? Geeze! I've got stainless acorns on Mystic. It looks great.

#3690 1 year ago

Here's that wire nut mess all cleaned up. Clipped the zip ties after the photo was taken lol

20220816_135018.jpg20220816_135018.jpg

#3691 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:Here's that wire nut mess all cleaned up.

I never understand why people will work so hard to do things wrong. Nice job.

#3692 1 year ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

I never understand why people will work so hard to do things wrong. Nice job.

Yeah.. thankfully there is a higher standard these days based on resale value and expectations.

#3693 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

Here's that wire nut mess all cleaned up. Clipped the zip ties after the photo was taken lol
    [quoted image]

But how will that work now? You changed the colors of the wires?

And you might need some electrical tape around the white / brown.

#3694 1 year ago
    Quoted from rmillman:

I'd just pull the connector pin and see if I could just slip a longer piece of heat shrink on it.

#3695 1 year ago
    Quoted from rmillman:

Fortunately, the wire color change is close to the termination point and everything can be easily inspected. And if some of the correct wire comes along, it will be easy to make the swap.

#3696 1 year ago
    Quoted from rmillman:

Every pinball machine needs:

Tape
    Drywall screws
    Wire-nuts
    nails
    keys
    paper clips
    wire ties
    rubberbands

Or they wont work right.

#3697 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Tape
    Drywall screws
    Wire-nuts
    nails
    keys
    paper clips
    wire ties
    rubberbands
    Or they wont work right.

And aluminum foil to repair blown fuses.

#3698 1 year ago

Tape
    Drywall screws
    Wire-nuts
    nails
    keys
    paper clips
    wire ties
    rubberbands
    Or they wont work right.

'Homeless' parts laying in the bottom of the cabinet...clueless where they go. Sometimes true even on a new pin.

#3699 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

'Homeless' parts laying in the bottom of the cabinet...clueless where they go. Sometimes true even on a new pin.

Let’s not forget broken plastics.

#3700 1 year ago

Tape
    Drywall screws
    Wire-nuts
    nails
    keys
    paper clips
    wire ties
    rubberbands
    Or they wont work right.

WD40

There are 4,665 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/74 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.