(Topic ID: 28788)

Worst hack/repair you ever saw.

By mcclad

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17137452019287598807293974414584 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    There are 4,671 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 94.
    #3601 1 year ago
    Quoted from Skidave:

The new bendable screw for those that need to just force it to fit.
    [quoted image]

What was this screw holding down?

#3602 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What was this screw holding down?

Yes, a playfield post on a Bally Mata Hari. Yikes!

#3603 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

Hole in the playfield too big for the screw? Put pieces of a zip tie down the hole
    [quoted image]

Did this on my flash and f2k. Works great!!

#3604 1 year ago

I picked up "The Games" for very cheap. So I open up the pf once home to check on things, and there's a burnt coil. Ok, fine. And then I see the fuse situation. Going to have fun cleaning this one up. But the boards in the head are spotless. So there's that. I get the impression the PF glass hadn't been removed in a very long time. The dried shrivelled playfield rubbers said the same. The plastics however are really clean and flat. Odd.

IMG_5024 (resized).JPGIMG_5024 (resized).JPGIMG_5025 (resized).JPGIMG_5025 (resized).JPGIMG_5027 (resized).JPGIMG_5027 (resized).JPG
    #3605 1 year ago

The forever fuses lol

#3606 1 year ago

Maybe it is just a fuse

#3607 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

I picked up "The Games" for very cheap. So I open up the pf once home to check on things, and there's a burnt coil. Ok, fine. And then I see the fuse situation. Going to have fun cleaning this one up. But the boards in the head are spotless. So there's that. I get the impression the PF glass hadn't been removed in a very long time. The dried shrivelled playfield rubbers said the same. The plastics however are really clean and flat. Odd.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those are the new 5,000 amp overload fuses guaranteed to fail right after the house burns down.

#3608 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

"Foiled" again!

#3609 1 year ago

They must have been out of 1/4 inch brass bolts...

#3610 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Classic!

#3611 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

And then I see the fuse situation.

The sheer stupidity of some people.

#3612 1 year ago

Those durn cotton pickin' fuses, they just get in the way of havin' a good ole time. Who needs 'em. Worse than smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and seat belts. Worst inventions ever!

#3613 1 year ago

Best place to get fuses? Marco? Home Depot? Ace?

#3614 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

PBR with your next order.

#3615 1 year ago

Home Depot has a lot you might need and your going to be shopping there soon, likely, anyway.

No waiting or shipping charge.

#3616 1 year ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Home Depot has a lot you might need and your going to be shopping there soon, likely, anyway.
    No waiting or shipping charge.

this is what I wanted if possible

#3617 1 year ago

And there's usually a grocery store nearby in case you need some aluminum foil!

#3618 1 year ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

And there's usually a grocery store nearby in case you need some aluminum foil!

Make sure it's the smokeless kind. Otherwise the magic smoke gets released.

#3619 1 year ago

I found this on the internet doing a google search...so it must be true.

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 8.35.14 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-07-18 at 8.35.14 PM (resized).png
    #3620 1 year ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

I found this on the internet doing a google search...so it must be true.
    [quoted image]

Well, I'm sure foil will work fine here:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #3621 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, I'm sure foil will work fine here:[quoted image]

Throw the switch:

#3622 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Locally for me, Menards by far has the best fuse selection. Lowes and Home Depot seem to lack selection, especially when it comes to slow blow fuses...

#3623 1 year ago

throw the switch

#3624 1 year ago

When our Radio Shacks were on the way out I bought every little last baggie full they had. Still using them.

#3625 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

When our Radio Shacks were on the way out I bought every little last baggie full they had. Still using them.

I wish ours had more. most of the useful items were gone and the other half was still too overpriced

#3626 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

PBR with your next order.

Yep, I enjoyed a chat with Steve. No local place has those slo-blo fuses.

#3627 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

No, the grocery store. Buy that there aluminium foil by the roll.

#3628 1 year ago

Bonus points if you know what game this is, if you haven't already read my other posts.

IMG_5057 (resized).JPGIMG_5057 (resized).JPG

#3629 1 year ago

MtnFrost - One that needs a lot of help!

#3630 1 year ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

MtnFrost - One that needs a lot of help!

The pinball doctor is in the house.

#3631 1 year ago
    Quoted from MtnFrost:

Bonus points if you know what game this is, if you haven't already read my other posts.
    [quoted image]

The Games--I had two of those pass through my hands. Both had cab issues too. Someone added angle brackets to one of them, and drywall screws to the other to hold the backboxes together.

#3632 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The Games--I had two of those pass through my hands. Both had cab issues too. Someone added angle brackets to one of them, and drywall screws to the other to hold the backboxes together.

Yeah, that thin backbox gives it away. The gameplay isn't bad, but the audio and art are severely lacking. It's getting rethemed.

My example arrived with the head on and upright in the back of a pickup, but NO support for the head to keep it from rocking back and forth, slowly destroying the bottom of the head....it's in surgery right now, should be fine.

#3633 1 year ago

This game we can call a hat trick hack. 3 hacks and this game was sold as restored.

1 wrong flipper bats
    2 old artwork on inserts doesnt line up with overlay
    3 upper left flipper switch is bypassed. On a 3 flipper game it will still work but being bypassed you have 2 left flipper coils energizing at exact same time which can cause the coils to overheat over time.

20220721_123714 (resized).jpg20220721_123714 (resized).jpg20220721_130146 (resized).jpg20220721_130146 (resized).jpg
    #3634 1 year ago

Ugh. And an overlay on top of the other issues...

#3635 1 year ago

I love hat tricks! Here's one: how to totally bodge a flipper rebuild in three easy steps:

1. Strip the threads on the base plate's coil stop holes. Cut the end off another base plate and use that underneath it.

2. Use completely wrong screws for EOS switch, one of which is just floating loose in the bracket.

3. Use wingnut to secure flipper bat shaft. Initially I thought this was kind of ingenious, until I realized that to crank the wingnut tight enough that the flipper wouldn't spin, you had to use a pliers on it anyway, thus completely negating the whole point of using a wingnut.

EXTRA FREEBIE!
    4. Install one of the coil sleeves backwards.

100_3169 (resized).JPG100_3169 (resized).JPG100_3170 (resized).JPG100_3170 (resized).JPG100_3172 (resized).JPG100_3172 (resized).JPG

#3636 1 year ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

I love hat tricks! Here's one: how to totally bodge a flipper rebuild in three easy steps:

1. Strip the threads on the base plate's coil stop holes. Cut the end off another base plate and use that underneath it.

2. Use completely wrong screws for EOS switch, one of which is just floating loose in the bracket.

3. Use wingnut to secure flipper bat shaft. Initially I thought this was kind of ingenious, until I realized

They used what they had alright. I think the old bracket cut under the coil is great. It's better than putting a wood anchor to maybe seccure it from falling apart. The wing nut is for those quick adjustments needed when folks come over to play. You always have to be ready

#3637 1 year ago

Bally eightball. I was amazed how they condensed all the wires for the power supply.

20220726_142630 (resized).jpg20220726_142630 (resized).jpg
    #3638 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Bally eightball. I was amazed how they condensed all the wires for the power supply.
    [quoted image]

Solder? Never heard of it. What’s that? Wow.

#3639 1 year ago

Wire nuts in any location other than in my house's walls makes me rage! If you approach a car or pinball with a wire nut, please think again before proceeding

#3640 1 year ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Wire nuts in any location other than in my house's walls makes me rage! If you approach a car or pinball with a wire nut, please think again before proceeding

Gottlieb System 80 ground mods are about the only case I could make for wire nuts...Just for added shock value, I wrap the bundled wires/wire nuts in electrical tape!

#3641 1 year ago

that is one ugly hack

#3642 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

[quoted image]

My jaw actually hit the floor when I saw that

#3643 1 year ago

Allied Leisure flipper mech. The bushing stops the flipper from traveling too far in the resting position. In this case, the bushing had a chunk break off, and the flipper then could travel too far. Someone's solution as to stick a drill bit in the mech to stop that from happening.

20220729224620470.jpg20220729224620470.jpg

#3644 1 year ago

Someday they were going to replace the bit with a nail.

#3645 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Allied Leisure flipper mech. The bushing stops the flipper from traveling too far in the resting position. In this case, the bushing had a chunk break off, and the flipper then could travel too far. Someone's solution as to stick a drill bit in the mech to stop that from happening.
    [quoted image]

Is it just me or is that a lot of pink in the wiring? I can just see the confusing schematics -
    Pink wire with lavender stripe
    Magenta wire with rose stripe
    Fuschia wire with peach stripe
    Cerise wire with salmon stripe.....

#3646 1 year ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Is it just me or is that a lot of pink in the wiring? I can just see the confusing schematics -
    Pink wire with lavender stripe
    Magenta wire with rose stripe
    Fuschia wire with peach stripe
    Cerise wire with salmon stripe.....

Yes, there is pink, along with the other primary wiring colors.

#3647 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes, there is pink, along with the other primary wiring colors.

Those being: pink, light pink, dark pink, peach pink, and dusky rose.

(only kidding)

#3648 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

[quoted image]

A way too use a drill bit lol

#3649 1 year ago
    images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg
    #3650 1 year ago

I’m guessing the previous owner wasn’t a fan of those in lanes.

8BC0FFAF-8214-408A-B669-CA757D4DA558 (resized).jpeg8BC0FFAF-8214-408A-B669-CA757D4DA558 (resized).jpegFA85C307-3FD2-41E3-A581-3560CAA9E193 (resized).jpegFA85C307-3FD2-41E3-A581-3560CAA9E193 (resized).jpeg
    There are 4,671 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/73?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.