Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,669 posts
  • 733 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 minutes ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 314 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240321_180554 (resized).jpg
    68714440943__356B9A98-CA54-4C2A-A85D-8E5C24E9F1AA (resized).jpeg
    There are 4,669 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 94.
    #3151 2 years ago

Just your average everyday soundboard inside a 1977 Williams EM!? I don't think it works but don't really know how to test it. The best part is the speaker is right up against the solid side wall.

IMG_1614 (resized).JPGIMG_1614 (resized).JPG
    #3152 2 years ago

That's a Wico add-on sound board designed to replace chimes in EM games. Quite rare.

#3153 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

That's a Wico add-on sound board designed to replace chimes in EM games. Quite rare.

Interesting, first time I've seen anything like this. The real chimes seem to work just fine, but this guy doesn't.

#3154 2 years ago

It's absolutely repairable; the electronics in them aren't terribly complex but some of the components are... perishable.

#3155 2 years ago

This is Bush League by Gottlieb from IPDB . Seems like a bad place for those two fuses.

image-6 (resized).jpgimage-6 (resized).jpg
    #3156 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

Wico sold shitloads of them. Mainly used in early SS games with chimes. As soon as Solid-State sounds came out, play dropped on the chime games. Those $79.00 sound boards helped prop up play. Gottlieb Sinbad was a great example. Made tons of money then died when Dragon came out. We went to locations and added the sound boards. Brought the cash box right back up.

#3157 2 years ago

The ingenuity in this thread makes Mgyver look like an rookie.

Here is my contribution...

IMG_2691 (resized).JPGIMG_2691 (resized).JPG

#3158 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

Your post was funny. Nothing overly as impressive as yours but i had a coil on mine halfa$sed wrapped with electrial tape. Looks like they tried to wrap it when it was still mounted. A slice of paper and some elmers glue would have worked much better. I beleive you can even print out these coil wrappers somewhere.
    My buddy did show me a picture of a Black Hole that has tons of wires electrical taped. Like entire bundles. Apparrently a divorce gone sour and an angry wife went mad with a pair of sissors...the tape repair was a mess...

I've seen a lot of taped wires under thr playfield on a few routed games alot of times the operators will cut the solenoids off the think are bad to trouble shoot. I had a space shuttle where ever part was cut and taped. Some of the wires didn't even match color so they may have been just populating for auction.

#3159 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

We went to locations and added the sound boards. Brought the cash box right back up.

What did it sound like? Did they have custom sounds for each title?

#3160 2 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Universal board for "any" game. Blip-blip tones.

#3161 2 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

I've got a board in one of my EMs that seems to be semi-programmable via jumper wires. It's got a giant grid of holes that someone has hand jumped shut in some way, and it can make a variety of simple synth sounds, but not just one-off things. Some even have their own patterns, or can play little multi-note tunes. All done without a CPU somehow. Wish I had a manual

#3162 2 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I've got a board in one of my EMs that seems to be semi-programmable via jumper wires. It's got a giant grid of holes that someone has hand jumped shut in some way, and it can make a variety of simple synth sounds, but not just one-off things. Some even have their own patterns, or can play little multi-note tunes. All done without a CPU somehow. Wish I had a manual

Picture?

#3163 2 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

We installed them in the games with the jumpers in the default positions. Installed them as soon as we received them. IIRC, Penn-Ray and The Great Amusement Emporium also sold them. There may have been slight differences between each one.

#3164 2 years ago
    FB_IMG_1623760726055.jpgFB_IMG_1623760726055.jpgFB_IMG_1623760733435.jpgFB_IMG_1623760733435.jpg
    #3165 2 years ago

Wow, I've seen the Wico board in the past, but never the Synchroson (great name)! And with French labeling "fait pour Laniel Canada", so really cool. Would be very interesting to see if there's any documentation of the jumper-matrix.

#3166 2 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

[quoted image][quoted image]

It looks home-made. The traces seem hand drawn or created using adhesive tape then the PCB etched...

#3167 2 years ago

This is still one of my favorite threads on Pinside. MrBally’s history and knowledge here is invaluable.

#3168 2 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

It looks home-made. The traces seem hand drawn or created using adhesive tape then the PCB etched...

Most early PCBs I've seen look the same. Don't think it's home made, just hand plotted

#3169 2 years ago
    Quoted from JRC6000:

Just your average everyday soundboard inside a 1977 Williams EM!? I don't think it works but don't really know how to test it. The best part is the speaker is right up against the solid side wall.
    [quoted image]

I guess my original comment on this topic ended up being wrong. I guess this wasn't such a strange hack after all! Interesting that if you google "Wilco 13-3765" you get literally nothing on the topic.

#3170 2 years ago

Oh, that's vintage pre-1980s routing. They were all hand drawn and created.

The guy that did it at williams (Ray Gay IIRC) did a seminar at Expo 2008 or 2009.

#3172 2 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Oh, that's vintage pre-1980s routing. They were all hand drawn and created.

Agreed, that's a nice, clean commercial board but pre-CAD, so laid out by hand using tape to create the board-mask (obvious from the curving lines), but care taken to make it very neat (as evidenced by the nice rectangular layout on the bottom section).

#3173 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Dude:

Wow, I've seen the Wico board in the past, but never the Synchroson (great name)! And with French labeling "fait pour Laniel Canada", so really cool. Would be very interesting to see if there's any documentation of the jumper-matrix.

Here's a blog that shows some additional photos of these: http://pindude152.blogspot.com/2017/01/laniel-synchroson-ml-1600-pinball.html

#3174 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Dude:

Agreed, that's a nice, clean commercial board but pre-CAD, so laid out by hand using tape to create the board-mask (obvious from the curving lines), but care taken to make it very neat (as evidenced by the nice rectangular layout on the bottom section).

When I was young electrical engineer (or maybe even a tech at the time), I remember seeing the drafting guys hand taping the film for board layouts. Probably in the very 80's timeframe. Since the boards were fairly small (maybe 3x7"), the actual taping was done at a much larger scale, then reduced.

Multiple layer board, meaning they had layers of film stacked together at the same time and would tape each layer as needed. Then we would compare the schematic, part-by-part vs. layout, to make sure the layout was correct.

#3175 2 years ago

Because cutting another base plate in half is easier than replacing it?

DSC_0001 (resized).JPGDSC_0001 (resized).JPG
    #3176 2 years ago

Wow looks like Rodriguez really screwed up the inspection on that one

#3177 2 years ago

Found this gem on a Gameplan Sharpshooter yesterday.

20210615_210534 (resized).jpg20210615_210534 (resized).jpg
    #3178 2 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

[quoted image]

Maybe to dim the lights (i.e. to last longer)?

#3179 2 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

[quoted image]

Maybe the machine was installed in a location in Alaska and they wanted the HEAT generated to warm the inside of the cabinet and the flipper buttons making it easier to play in the winter with gloves off????

#3180 2 years ago

Maybe the machine was installed in a location in Alaska and they wanted the HEAT generated to warm the inside of the cabinet and the flipper buttons making it easier to play in the winter with gloves off????

#3181 2 years ago

Don't plug that thing into an outlet in Texas; it might take out the grid

#3182 2 years ago
    Quoted from JRC6000:

I guess my original comment on this topic ended up being wrong. I guess this wasn't such a strange hack after all! Interesting that if you google "Wilco 13-3765" you get literally nothing on the topic.

I'd suggest it's because the company is Wico (well-known gaming parts supplier even today) not Wilco =) but even correcting the name won't turn up any real results. Too specific with the part # in there. It has been discussed a bit though, you can search "wico add on sound board" and turn up several good results including some pinside threads like this one: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-with-added-electronic-sound-board

Richard

#3184 2 years ago

After verifying my switches off the cpu on my BSD were working...came across this hack off the 9pin switch IDC...corrected the poor craftsmanship and boom; we’re golden.

65585CE8-C2E9-4A96-9D5F-F2427913FCBD (resized).jpeg65585CE8-C2E9-4A96-9D5F-F2427913FCBD (resized).jpeg
    #3185 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

I pulled a Wico out of a Night Rider and replaced it with a chime unit.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/71683

A 100X improvement of that board would be a $4 RaspberryPico board, with a $1 one chip amplifier if designed today. Too bad there is no market for sound upgrade boards for EMs any longer....

#3186 2 years ago

A 100X improvement of that board would be a $4 RaspberryPico board, with a $1 one chip amplifier if designed today. Too bad there is no market for sound upgrade boards for EMs any longer....

I guess with some jumpers and an extra switch on the start button to reset it, you could make the sounds (WAV TRIGGER) change based upon the score and the current coil being triggered. This could be a little more dynamic that bleeps.

#3187 2 years ago
    Quoted from koen12344:

from a Road Show project i'll soon be working on
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Remember the hacked up Road Show I posted a while a go? Starting to work on it and looks like I have more detective work ahead of me.

DSC_1089 (resized).JPGDSC_1089 (resized).JPG
    #3188 2 years ago
    Quoted from koen12344:

Remember the hacked up Road Show I posted a while a go? Starting to work on it and looks like I have more detective work ahead of me.
    [quoted image]

I think all the colors are on both sides of that screw-terminal block, but the individual wires clearly are not matched up. Not even one is matched! It hurts just looking at that mess...

#3189 2 years ago
    Quoted from koen12344:

[quoted image]

Those blocks seem like such a blessing and a curse. While you don't have to deal with twisted/taped or crimped connections, you still have a "solution" for people that have no business digging into wiring, digging into wiring.

(Trust me though, after having repaired a Barracora that someone cut and stripped, twisted, taped EVERY wire between playfield and backbox, you're far better off repairing hacks from those terminal blocks!!!)

Richard

#3190 2 years ago
    Quoted from koen12344:

[quoted image]

I would suggest "butt slices". No soldering required.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XCZ9PT5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_3MGZ0KVK7DJPT35XRK53

#3191 2 years ago
    Quoted from koen12344:

[quoted image]

For trouble free performance, solder lap joint and heat shrink insulation. Will look good too.

#3192 2 years ago
    Quoted from daveyvandy:

I would suggest "butt slices". No soldering required.
    amazon.com link »

I hate those. Solder and heatshrink for life. If I was an operator looking for a quick fix things would be different though.

#3193 2 years ago

That word underscores everything for a pinball owner. Know, or learn, how to solder.

#3194 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

That word underscores everything for a pinball owner. Know, or learn, how to solder.

I see the 'shortcut' approach on Amazon, but it scares me to think of using a product like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Kuject-Connectors-Self-Solder-Waterproof-Electrical/dp/B07Z8SD8PB/ref=sr_1_5

Even if your wire strands were shiny clean, I can't imagine the solder would flow very well, and worse, the shrink wrap will hide whatever actually happened inside the connection. I agree with the above statement... for the home machine, resist any of these mechanical splices and solder and shrink wrap properly. Two wires will visually be connected if the solder is shiny and the wires are all encased. Shrink wrap is then activated once the solder connection is confirmed.

splice (resized).jpgsplice (resized).jpg
    #3195 2 years ago

I see the 'shortcut' approach on Amazon, but it scares me to think of using a product like this:
    amazon.com link »
    Even if your wire strands were shiny clean, I can't imagine the solder would flow very well, and worse, the shrink wrap will hide whatever actually happened inside the connection. I agree with the above statement... for the home machine, resist any of these mechanical splices and solder and shrink wrap properly. Two wires will visually be connected if the solder is shiny and the wires are all encased. Shrink wrap is then activated once the solder connection is confirmed.
    [quoted image]

Saw something similar on YouTube last week. Very nice.

#3196 2 years ago

Mark

We used those while I was in the Navy. Used a special heat gun to ensure complete solder melt and uniform shrinking of the wrap. It also had a type of glue in the ends that made it waterproof.

A good product, but I see no use for it in the pinball world. There are better alternatives.

#3197 2 years ago

This is something like what I do when I need to splice two wires together (referred to as a lineman's splice), although, I don't pre-tin, use quite so many wire turns on the ends or quite as much wire length since the wires are not load bearing. I use just enough to physically hold them together, then solder, then cover the joint with heatshrink. That way, the splice is secure and there's no chance of it breaking, unlike with a butt connector.

#3198 2 years ago
    Quoted from eckelpeckel:

Worst packaging? Slid out of my hands and onto concrete.. double ouch! Im gonna feel thisone for a while i think..
    [quoted image]

#3199 2 years ago

No worries guys, I will solder and heat shrink everything, and refit connectors where they were supposed to be. Already fixed the wiring at the mains box. After the transformer I found another gem. Its the gift that keeps on giving!

DSC_1092 (resized).JPGDSC_1092 (resized).JPGDSC_1094 (resized).JPGDSC_1094 (resized).JPG
    #3200 2 years ago

amazon.com link »
    [quoted image]

I used these type of splices when I was building and wiring up airplanes (Beechcraft). I will allow that what we used had to be certified for aviation use so there might be a higher level of quality than these that are selling on Amazon.

If I was dealing with pin with a cluster of cut wires, I would not have a problem with using these.

These splices are marine spices; They are water proof. With an industrial heat gun, that solder ring inside melts easily and flows well. There is some gummy type of stuff on each end and when you apply the heat gun the gummy stuff makes a water tight seal. These splices much better than those butt/crimp splices you usually see.

Solder and shinkwrap would not be authorized for aircraft use; At least not where I worked.

685ae12b25640a4134b86d11147318cffea820b0 (resized).jpg685ae12b25640a4134b86d11147318cffea820b0 (resized).jpg

There are 4,669 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/64?hl=jrc6000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.