(Topic ID: 28788)

Worst hack/repair you ever saw.

By mcclad

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17137452019287598807293974414584 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    There are 4,671 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 94.
    #3051 3 years ago

Someone used hot glue and a ziptie to hold the satellite magnet in place on my Goldeneye. Looks like shit, but at least it works fine.

20210330_191220 (resized).jpg20210330_191220 (resized).jpg
    #3052 3 years ago
    Quoted from PrinceOfPinside:

Someone used hot glue and a ziptie to hold the satellite magnet in place on my Goldeneye. Looks like shit, but at least it works fine.[quoted image]

That ziptie will "disintegrate" pretty soon. Even without UV lightning. Especially those cheap chinese shitty zippies. Which I guess the previous owner used. However, I assume you've taken care of the situation.

#3053 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

I assume you've taken care of the situation.

It's on my to-do list.

#3054 3 years ago

When you haven't got a darlington transistor handy, create one!

IMG_0038a.jpgIMG_0038a.jpg

#3055 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

[quoted image]

I have to say that looking at the age of the repair, I am pretty impressed any tech had enough gumpshun to do that and the result was probably more quarters for years! I suspect that fix was a passed-down through the ages brute-force fix probably scratched down on a page in his/her tech note rattling around the the toolbox for years. Its kinda ugly but kinda marvelous too!

#3056 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

[quoted image]

It is clear some of the old route operators knew what they are doing. And I am always impressed that some of them survived to participate here with us and we thank them for that.

This is is pure genius. Even MacGyver would be impressed. Do you think this guy knew it was going to work or was pleasantly surprised when it did?

///Rich

#3057 3 years ago

And I did it, on purpose. Battery-acid had eaten pins away and it was a house call so something had to be done. Other wires are still on the original connector which fits still on place. Works for now, will fix it if new MPU is found. So please offer Gottlieb 80B-board if available, thanks

5D78A852-336B-41CF-BDF9-9777054E9272 (resized).jpeg5D78A852-336B-41CF-BDF9-9777054E9272 (resized).jpegEADDA6D9-DD76-4BCE-BFEE-790FE7B0B13A (resized).jpegEADDA6D9-DD76-4BCE-BFEE-790FE7B0B13A (resized).jpeg
    #3058 3 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

I have to say that looking at the age of the repair, I am pretty impressed any tech had enough gumpshun to do that and the result was probably more quarters for years! I suspect that fix was a passed-down through the ages brute-force fix probably scratched down on a page in his/her tech note rattling around the the toolbox for years. Its kinda ugly but kinda marvelous too!

I recall seeing that "emergency field repair" tip in either Star Tech Journal or Play Meter Magazine in '79 or '80.

#3059 3 years ago
    Quoted from RichWolfson:

This is is pure genius. Even MacGyver would be impressed. Do you think this guy knew it was going to work or was pleasantly surprised when it did?

Heh, his genius might have ended at that transistor because the board had underspec TESLA branded parts:

10,000uf, 15V capacitor instead of 20V (anyone who's regularly worked on those Bally boards knows the voltage on that capacitor can sometimes be as high as 17 volts).

5 Volt, 2 Amp regulator instead of 3 Amp.

IMG_0035a.jpgIMG_0035a.jpg

#3060 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Heh, his genius might have ended at that transistor because the board had underspec TESLA branded parts:
    10,000uf, 15V capacitor instead of 20V (anyone who's regularly worked on those Bally boards knows the voltage on that capacitor can sometimes be as high as 17 volts).
    [quoted image]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_(Czechoslovak_company)

#3061 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

[quoted image]

All of the Bally authorized distributors sold 3 amp 5VDC regulators as replacements for the solenoid driver/regulator boards. Empire/Bally Midwest, Bally Advance, etc.

#3062 3 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

Hey, at least he got the batteries off the board!

Looks like a time bomb in a movie. "Do I cut the red wire or the white one?!"

1 week later
    #3063 3 years ago

Wanted to post this hack for a earthshaker that my buddy got. You can see a power supply in the cabinet and the wires soldered to the board. This was for the gi bulbs but didnt work.
    What a shame!

20913 (resized).jpeg20913 (resized).jpeg20914 (resized).jpeg20914 (resized).jpeg
    #3064 3 years ago

it is confusing when someone solders a wire to another that a different color . this wiring is from a flash pinball transformer.
    the red and blue wires were replaced with different colored wires near the transformer. most of the blue wire was replaced with a yellow wire seen here. i was planning on rewiring this since some of these cables have exposed wiring. can the wire be replaced wire at the base of the transformer ?

wires (resized).jpgwires (resized).jpg
    #3065 3 years ago
    Quoted from Matthew2015:

it is confusing when someone solders a wire to another that a different color . this wiring is from a flash pinball transformer.
    the red and blue wires were replaced with different colored wires near the transformer. most of the blue wire was replaced with a yellow wire seen here. i was planning on rewiring this since some of these cables have exposed wiring. can the wire be replaced wire at the base of the transformer ?
    [quoted image]

You can splice wire as close to the transformer as you wish to get. Solder and heatshrink it.

#3066 3 years ago

took a look at the back ,
    looks worse than i thought and somebody spliced the wire very close to the transformer.

IMG_3643 (resized).jpgIMG_3643 (resized).jpg
    #3067 3 years ago
    Quoted from Matthew2015:

[quoted image]

Looks like typical wiring damage from a failed bridge rectifier. If those two bridges in the backbox haven't been modified to have fuses on the input side, you *need* to do that upgrade. If one fails again, it can potentially cause a fire.

1 week later
    #3068 3 years ago

Heavy duty ball shooter. Seen on a Charlie's angels.

lance bille mandrin collector (resized).jpglance bille mandrin collector (resized).jpg
    #3069 3 years ago
    Quoted from tonnerremeca:

Heavy duty ball shooter. Seen on a Charlie's angels.
    [quoted image]

I've seen much worse plunger mods.

#3070 3 years ago

I feel this is what most shooter rods will look like in the apocalypse

#3071 3 years ago

....needs a new barrel spring

#3072 3 years ago

The walls look like it's in the very first Man Cave.

#3073 3 years ago

So that's the new Steampunk shooter I've been hearing about. They come pre-rusted. How cool is that? Well worth the $179 they're asking.

#3074 3 years ago

Well I don't hate it!

#3075 3 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

So that's the new Steampunk shooter I've been hearing about. They come pre-rusted.

Pinside store opening soon!
    IMG_0030a.jpgIMG_0030a.jpg

#3076 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

[quoted image]

Does your name happen to be Chuck (why else would anyone collect such a thing)?

#3077 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Does your name happen to be Chuck (why else would anyone collect such a thing)?

Oh I've got plenty more from where they came from. Maybe someone can turn these into playfield toys!

IMG_0046a.jpgIMG_0046a.jpg
    #3078 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Now that's innovation!

#3079 3 years ago

When you don't have the correct eos... (the machine was also equipped with these switch as cabinet button switch.)

eos made by apicella (resized).pngeos made by apicella (resized).png
    #3080 3 years ago

Haha, I'm not even that mad

#3081 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Oh I've got plenty more from where they came from. Maybe someone can turn these into playfield toys![quoted image]

What are you? The local drill motor recycle center?

#3082 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I am thinking these are drills and other hand power tools that were traded in somewhere, and apparently now are part of a metal mountain construction project.

#3083 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

That photo is oddly discomforting, like a cult suicide crime scene: taken at night, bunch of dead bodies and busted containers and metal walls scattered amidst shrubbery...

WHAT IS THE CONTEXT HERE

#3084 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Oh I've got plenty more from where they came from. Maybe someone can turn these into playfield toys![quoted image]

Does every single one of them have the power cord cut off?

#3085 3 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

WHAT IS THE CONTEXT HERE

Umm, some people collect pinballs, my dad collected power tools - loved buying them at weekend markets for 50 cents each to repair but never sold them. Probably amassed close to 1000. We're moving so have to dispose them somehow.

Quoted from Coindork:

Does every single one of them have the power cord cut off?

Sadly they're worth nothing as is so yep, the power cables have been chopped for their copper as scrap metal. That picture was only a snippet of what's left. I still have another 2.5 cubic metres worth to go through.

#3086 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Umm, some people collect pinballs, my dad collected power tools - loved buying them at weekend markets for 50 cents each to repair but never sold them. Probably amassed close to 1000. We're moving so have to dispose them somehow.

LOL there's worse things to collect I suppose.... but yeah I almost wondered if that was from a drill OEM's warranty return bin. Still, who'd've guessed he harvested a gold mine of collet-plunger mods? I suppose if you were determined you could pull the motor armatures out for scrap value but that's probably in diminished return territory. Anyway, it was a funny "WTF??!?" pic so thanks for that!

#3087 3 years ago

I generally don't consider a jumper wire a hack, but in this case I do. On my Rock On, none of the bonus functionality was working. Suspecting the issue was in a 74192 chip (especially the up clock), I spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting the entire circuit. I finally found a broken trace wire, repaired it, and figured the problem was solved.

Nothing changed, which seemed impossible based on the schematics. I then thought of the jumper wire, which on closer inspection was actually used to bypass an essential section for the bonus to work.

If the jumper was not used, the game would stop when the ball drained. I'm guessing what happened is a tech at some point couldn't find the source of the problem, and using the jumper allowed the game to be played without the bonus working (and therefore coin drops to continue).

I guess my point is no matter how small or insignificant a hack may appear to be, it could be the source of a larger problem. Also, don't assume the person that worked on your game before you knew what they were doing, or that they cared if everything worked as it should!

PXL_20210423_034116987~2.jpgPXL_20210423_034116987~2.jpgPXL_20210423_041517385~2.jpgPXL_20210423_041517385~2.jpg
    #3088 3 years ago

Another from my recently acquired Party zone.....

68 (resized).jpg68 (resized).jpg
    I guess you get a Jackpot for each pop bumper hit?

And see that plastic next to the cosmic cottage?
    That's fine... I didn't see that.

#3089 3 years ago

Who the real dummy for not using the correct drop target? I guess a piece of aluminum siding will suffice.

16194016652126254704121134607552 (resized).jpg16194016652126254704121134607552 (resized).jpg
    #3090 3 years ago

First pic: I almost had to admire the PO's attempt to hack-weave something into an approximation of the proper band. Can't say I'd ever seen that before.

But then I lifted the PF and saw the next pics: credit revoked. Who needs a coil stop? If you can't duck it, well...

Slubber (resized).jpgSlubber (resized).jpg

20210425_145727 (resized).jpg20210425_145727 (resized).jpg

20210425_145731 (resized).jpg20210425_145731 (resized).jpg

#3091 3 years ago

First pic: I almost had to admire the PO's attempt to hack-weave something into an approximation of the proper band. Can't say I'd ever seen that before.
    But then I lifted the PF and saw the next pics: credit revoked. Who needs a coil stop? If you can't duck it, well...
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

I have to admire some of these hacks. I wish I had the ingenuity employed to keep these pins running when there is either no money, or no parts. Or both.

#3092 3 years ago

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Do I see two rusted finishing nails hammered in as well?

tmp3 (resized).jpgtmp3 (resized).jpg
    #3093 3 years ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

Do I see two rusted finishing nails hammered in as well?

Those are factory. Those are intended to prevent the ball from getting stuck under the slingshot plastic.

#3094 2 years ago

When your star rollover needs attention.

20210426_155049 (resized).jpg20210426_155049 (resized).jpg20210426_155059 (resized).jpg20210426_155059 (resized).jpg
    #3095 2 years ago
    20210427_134203[1] (resized).jpg20210427_134203[1] (resized).jpg
    #3096 2 years ago

Bad opto? Use a solid state eos switch.

20210427_085837 (resized).jpg20210427_085837 (resized).jpg
    #3097 2 years ago

At least it came with a free vice grip.

#3098 2 years ago

Exactly! Got's me a new free tool

#3099 2 years ago

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new fuse clip?

#3100 2 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new fuse clip?

Next time I encounter this, I'mmagunna use a binder clip: cheaper than vice-grips, more easily found than fuse clips, AND no soldering required...!

There are 4,671 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/62?hl=daveyvandy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.