Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,667 posts
  • 733 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by Tuukka
  • Topic is favorited by 314 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240321_180554 (resized).jpg
    68714440943__356B9A98-CA54-4C2A-A85D-8E5C24E9F1AA (resized).jpeg
    There are 4,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 94.
    #2651 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

They wanted the notoriety of sometime in the future being featured in this thread on Pinside?

Ha! That's a great comment.

#2652 3 years ago
    Quoted from MisterScappy:

I’m scratching my head trying to figure out what someone was trying to accomplish by adding this piece of thick white plastic here on my Big Guns.

Looks like that was the easiest way (for him) to attach something to cover the missing broken original plastic corner.

#2653 3 years ago

I’m scratching my head trying to figure out what someone was trying to accomplish by adding this piece of thick white plastic here on my Big Guns.
    [quoted image]

Looks like the lower corner of the plastic is broken off. Without knowing this play field I can't comment if his "repair" was effective, or not. But I'm guessing the broken corner is the reason.

#2654 3 years ago

[quoted image]

With that corner broken off, I wonder if airballs were getting stuck atop/behind that drop target. If so, the added plastic would prevent it (in its very unsightly manner) by re-adding the missing corner.

#2655 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Looks like that was the easiest way (for him) to attach something to cover the missing broken original plastic corner.

In searching for a replacement for this plastic, I'm finding that even NOS pieces have that corner cut at an angle. Looking around at other photos of the game, they all seem to have that corner angled. I'm thinking that angled corner is factory.

#2656 3 years ago

In searching for a replacement for this plastic, I'm finding that even NOS pieces have that corner cut at an angle. Looking around at other photos of the game, they all seem to have that corner angled. I'm thinking that angled corner is factory.

Maybe so, but that 55 looks too close to the break line, IMO. And the break line looks a little bit rough.

621e21c3e0370d068130bb7bfcc166b96a8fef32.jpeg (resized).jpg621e21c3e0370d068130bb7bfcc166b96a8fef32.jpeg (resized).jpg

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 3.13.11 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-06-09 at 3.13.11 PM (resized).png

#2657 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Maybe so, but that 55 looks too close to the break line, IMO. And the break line looks a little bit rough.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

It does seem odd that the part number is cut off, but others look just like it. Here's a good example: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-guns-club-save-the-queen/page/3#post-1375703

I wonder if an issue was discovered during production that led to the modification, and they didn't bother to move the location of the part number.

#2658 3 years ago

It does seem odd that the part number is cut off, but others look just like it. Here's a good example: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/big-guns-club-save-the-queen/page/3#post-1375703
    I wonder if an issue was discovered during production that led to the modification, and they didn't bother to move the location of the part number.

Can you think of any possible reason for that corner to be cut off? I am not familiar with the pin.

#2659 3 years ago

Not the worse hack ever but straight from the OPs mouth I’m sure

1575DFF3-3C2C-49F8-990F-F251E7A76E68 (resized).jpeg1575DFF3-3C2C-49F8-990F-F251E7A76E68 (resized).jpeg
    #2660 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pintopia:

Not the worse hack ever but straight from the OPs mouth I’m sure[quoted image]

Moral of the story: Always keep a supply of toothpicks on hand.

#2661 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pintopia:

Kept it earning & it was still there working when you got it....

#2662 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pintopia:

Looking at the load that toothpick has to handle, Like you said, Not a bad of a hack.

#2663 3 years ago

The screw is probably in the coin box.

#2664 3 years ago

Just saw this at a guy's house. Outlanes are for suckers!

20200605_132600 (resized).jpg20200605_132600 (resized).jpg20200605_132613 (resized).jpg20200605_132613 (resized).jpg

#2665 3 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

Just saw this at a guy's house. Outlanes are for suckers!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Elvis has ... Not left the building!

#2666 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Moral of the story: Always keep a supply of toothpicks on hand.

I always got the toothpicks from the location bar as needed. I'd wrap electrical tape around the toothpick so it wouldn't vibrate out.

#2667 3 years ago
    Quoted from iamdrunker:

The screw is probably in the coin box.

We had different employees as well as one of the owners who collected the cash from the machines. If a screw ended up in our Klopp coin counters, into the shitcan it went. They would get quite angry having to get out a screw as would usually be jammed quite tight near the star "gear" that ran the counter and shut off circuit if they were wrapping quarters.

#2668 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I always got the toothpicks from the location bar as needed. I'd wrap electrical tape around the toothpick so it wouldn't vibrate out.

Yeah, but you were factory trained.

#2669 3 years ago

Missing BG? Hold my beer..

20200528_131710.jpg20200528_131710.jpg
    1 week later
    #2670 3 years ago

Find a deal on a Radical for a friend. 3-hour drive. Got there and looked behind the backbox lighting panel and under the playfield and my eyes began to bleed. Would you look at this? It looks like the playfield & Backbox GI lighting had a short, or perhaps the connector fried...not sure, but some genius cut all the GI wiring and hacked some kind of transformer to supply the power to it all. Wiring wrapped up in packing tape, exposed 220v wiring, jumper wires hanging everywhere, just an absolute, verifiable s#*tshow. Gonna be an adventure helping my buddy revert this back to factory condition.

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-21 at 10.55.37 (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-06-21 at 10.55.37 (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-06-21 at 10.55.53 (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-06-21 at 10.55.53 (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-06-21 at 10.54.58 (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-06-21 at 10.54.58 (resized).jpeg

#2671 3 years ago
    Quoted from DuffysArcade:

Find a deal on a Radical for a friend. Looked behind the backbox lighting panel and under the playfield and my eyes began to bleed. Would you look at this? It looks like the playfield & Backbox GI lighting had a short, or perhaps the connector fried...not sure, but some genius cut all the GI wiring and hacked some kind of transformer to supply the power to it all. Wiring wrapped up in packing tape, exposed 220v wiring, jumper wires hanging everywhere, just an absolute, verifiable s#*tshow. Gonna be an adventure helping my buddy revert this back to factory condition.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yikes. It would have been easier to find the actual problem....

At least it's just the GI, though.

#2672 3 years ago

Find a deal on a Radical for a friend. Looked behind the backbox lighting panel and under the playfield and my eyes began to bleed. Would you look at this? It looks like the playfield & Backbox GI lighting had a short, or perhaps the connector fried...not sure, but some genius cut all the GI wiring and hacked some kind of transformer to supply the power to it all. Wiring wrapped up in packing tape, exposed 220v wiring, jumper wires hanging everywhere, just an absolute, verifiable s#*tshow. Gonna be an adventure helping my buddy revert this back to factory condition.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Since you found your friend this deal, why did you insist on him buying it in the first place?

#2673 3 years ago
    Quoted from mgpasman:

Since you found your friend this deal, why did you insist on him buying it in the first place?

1. I didn't insist on anything, he liked the game and it was his choice.

2. I am able to fix the wiring for him.

3. We are both able to see the game not for what it is now, but for what it will be.

#2674 3 years ago

3. We are both able to see the game not for what it is now, but for what it will be.

And may I add that it is fun to bring them back. It is part of the hobby. I hope that you and your friend have a great time working on this!

#2675 3 years ago
    Quoted from hazmat7719:

And may I add that it is fun to bring them back. It is part of the hobby. I hope that you and your friend have a great time working on this!

I had a viking with a manual hole kickout button. Fixing that hack was almost as fun as playing the game

#2676 3 years ago

Just saw this on another thread that has a link to eBay if anyone’s interested.

A97AC36E-89BE-44E5-A31D-E55BBD3C89A8 (resized).jpegA97AC36E-89BE-44E5-A31D-E55BBD3C89A8 (resized).jpeg
    #2677 3 years ago

Lattice panel pins are a first for me.... Hopefully also the last.

#2678 3 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

[quoted image]

This thing is one step away from becoming a planter.

#2679 3 years ago

Someone took some time on the angle cut however!

#2680 3 years ago

I think it’s the first prototype Transformer pin.

#2681 3 years ago

4. Free car battery charger!!

#2682 3 years ago
    Quoted from koen12344:

4. Free car battery charger!!

HAHAHAHA! Thanks for the comic relief! I'll have to mention that one to my buddy. But I was thinking that we'll give that charger a Viking Funeral.

#2683 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

This thing is one step away from becoming a planter.

It's the rare Martha Stewart edition.

#2684 3 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

[quoted image]

I think if it was cheap, I would buy it to take to shows just for the hell of it.
    Maybe rig up a webcam on top of the head to film people’s reactions when they see it.

#2685 3 years ago

I’m sure it’s not the first time others’ have run into this, but it’s a first for me. Vacuum cleaner belt used as a rubber ring.

Flippers also were wrapped up in rubber bands!

B7F47853-71B6-4A90-AEBE-519242513C13 (resized).jpegB7F47853-71B6-4A90-AEBE-519242513C13 (resized).jpegE7235B43-91C0-46E8-BC3A-7BBC2EE9382E (resized).jpegE7235B43-91C0-46E8-BC3A-7BBC2EE9382E (resized).jpeg
    #2686 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I’m sure it’s not the first time others’ have run into this, but it’s a first for me. Vacuum cleaner belt used as a rubber ring.

Dammit, I just threw out my vacuum because I couldn’t find a replacement belt

#2687 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

The ingenuity of some of these fixes when there is either no parts or no money never fail to impress me.

When I got into this hobby, the internet was well on its way and even to this day I am amazed at the selection of repair parts and dress up parts that are available for a large number of titles.

Before there was the internet, I am thinking trying to find parts to buy was quite a challenge.

#2688 3 years ago

Before the internet we had (and still have) the verbal beratement from Steve young of pinball resource, when we either forgot the part number or customer number....

Quoted from cottonm4:

The ingenuity of some of these fixes when there is either no parts or no money never fail to impress me.
    When I got into this hobby, the internet was well on its way and even to this day I am amazed at the selection of repair parts and dress up parts that are available for a large number of titles.
    Before there was the internet, I am thinking trying to find parts to buy was quite a challenge.

#2689 3 years ago
    Quoted from Drewscruis:

Before the internet we had (and still have) the verbal beratement from Steve young of pinball resource, when we either forgot the part number or customer number....

Well, that fits right in to what I was saying. Buying parts was a challenge

#2690 3 years ago

Guy decided it's better to blow coil dust all over the relays because he didnt like the hold relay getting hot.

FB_IMG_1593352027353 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1593352027353 (resized).jpg
    #2691 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Guy decided it's better to blow coil dust all over the relays because he didnt like the hold relay getting hot.
    [quoted image]

Now that is funny!

1 week later
    #2692 3 years ago

When you dont feel like installing a new t-nut inside the cabinet..

IMG_20200704_132626 (resized).jpgIMG_20200704_132626 (resized).jpg
    #2693 3 years ago

If it's dumb but it works, is it really that dumb?

#2694 3 years ago
    Quoted from ajfclark:

If it's dumb but it works, is it really that dumb?

This question works

#2695 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

[quoted image]

Professionally insulated.

Should last years, and add at least $5 in value as a mod.

#2696 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Professionally insulated.
    Should last years, and add at least $5 in value as a mod.

Haha, yeah, it has actually lasted for four years already..

#2697 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

[quoted image]

I was gonna ask if somehow my old Pharaoh had made it out of the states, but the added bridge fuse holders don't match and it doesn't have the GI circuit 4 fuse holder breakout mod I tend to do. It sure as hell had some sketchy head bolt t-nuts, though!

Richard

#2698 3 years ago
    Quoted from someotherguy:

I was gonna ask if somehow my old Pharaoh had made it out of the states, but the added bridge fuse holders don't match and it doesn't have the GI circuit 4 fuse holder breakout mod I tend to do. It sure as hell had some sketchy head bolt t-nuts, though!
    Richard

I have that mod ready to install in both Pharaoh and Firepower, kit from Holland. I just haven't gotten around to install them. Btw, I think Pharaoh is a very underrated game, very good in tournaments if you set it steep and have strong magnets. And the bg / pf / plastic graphics is awesome.

#2699 3 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

I have that mod ready to install in both Pharaoh and Firepower, kit from Holland. I just haven't gotten around to install them. Btw, I think Pharaoh is a very underrated game, very good in tournaments if you set it steep and have strong magnets. And the bg / pf / plastic graphics is awesome.

It is a fantastic game! I only sold mine because I needed to seriously downsize before moving out-of-state again. I sold my BKLE as well. Kept Solar Fire, the best of the split-level bunch.

Richard

#2700 3 years ago

Have boards in from two different people. The blue board is an early Stern driver. Looks like a TIP went up in smoke. Instead of fixing it apparently it was easier to hack traces to move to a different unused transistor...

The other is a Stern lamp driver board. Someone drilled several hole and added jumpers to move then around. This one came out of a Meteor. Not sure what they were thinking on that one.

20200712_182417 (resized).jpg20200712_182417 (resized).jpg20200712_182501 (resized).jpg20200712_182501 (resized).jpg20200714_124808 (resized).jpg20200714_124808 (resized).jpg20200714_124822 (resized).jpg20200714_124822 (resized).jpg
    There are 4,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/54?hl=impzilla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.