(Topic ID: 28788)

Worst hack/repair you ever saw.

By mcclad

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17137452019287598807293974414584 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    There are 4,671 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 94.
    #2551 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nikrox2:

A little duct tape and an old poster = new backglass. Anyone take a guess at which game it is?[quoted image]

Is she holding a microphone pointed at her butt?

#2552 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nikrox2:

Anyone take a guess at which game it is?

Corvette.

#2553 4 years ago
    Quoted from daveyvandy:

Is she holding a microphone pointed at her butt?

Maybe a fleshlight?

#2554 4 years ago

For one, its a flashlight from what I can tell, possibly highlighting the curves? ...and it's a Gottlieb "Slick Chick" Does not match the playfield in any way shape or form...Now to find a correct one...

#2555 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nikrox2:

A little duct tape and an old poster = new backglass. Anyone take a guess at which game it is?[quoted image]

Maybe they didn’t like clowns...
    Flipper Fair?

940A09FB-A4DB-492E-8D84-9BD48E70F25C (resized).jpeg940A09FB-A4DB-492E-8D84-9BD48E70F25C (resized).jpeg
    #2556 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I found this quite fascinating! Thanks for sharing. I have rarely come across a Robertson screw, but oddly enough learned all about Torx when I began to have to work on my '87 Camaro which was assembled in Canada!

I dont think 1987 Camaros were built in Canada, seems like they were made in either Norwood OH, or Van Nuys CA

#2557 4 years ago
    Quoted from pincoin:

I dont think 1987 Camaros were built in Canada, seems like they were made in either Norwood OH, or Van Nuys CA

So it was! That's a "fact" I have had in my head for over 30 years. Can't remember where I got it, heard it, read it or what. The things we thought we knew before the information age, eh? SMH...

#2558 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

So it was! That's a "fact" I have had in my head for over 30 years. Can't remember where I got it, heard it, read it or what. The things we thought we knew before the information age, eh? SMH...

If you look at the VIN number it should give the code for the assembly plant, I would like to see exactly what you have there!

#2559 4 years ago

Bought new in '87, sold in '94 with 125K I-95 miles.

#2560 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nikrox2:

I wish I was that road map she is looking at

#2561 4 years ago

Fuses are for wimps….

IMG_1632 (resized).jpgIMG_1632 (resized).jpg

#2562 4 years ago
    Quoted from pincoin:

If you look at the VIN number it should give the code for the assembly plant, I would like to see exactly what you have there!

If a VIN # starts with "1" USA made. "2" is Canada.

#2563 4 years ago
    Quoted from MarAlb:

Fuses are for wimps….
    [quoted image]

Yes. Now you know what to do with that extra drill to socket adapter! I'd say that is good for at least 20 Amps...maybe more.

#2564 4 years ago
    Quoted from MarAlb:

Fuses are for wimps….
    [quoted image]

Swap it into one of those barrel cartridge holders. Nobody will ever know...

#2565 4 years ago

This isn't the worst hack but this power board i pulled of my tmnt has been worked over a time or two.

20200406_125847 (resized).jpg20200406_125847 (resized).jpg20200406_125908 (resized).jpg20200406_125908 (resized).jpg
    #2566 4 years ago
    Quoted from uphamj:

This isn't the worst hack but this power board i pulled of my tmnt has been worked over a time or two.[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks pretty typical for a DE power supply.

#2567 4 years ago
    Quoted from MarAlb:

Fuses are for wimps….
    [quoted image]

I had a boss that did that, in order to find what ever was bad on a game...
    He would wait tell a puff of smoke would come out of the game...
    "There it is"... he had no patience.

#2568 4 years ago

My boss did the exact same thing! Luckily the games were EM then, and a little more forgiving to that kind of abuse. He used to put pliers across the burnt fuse.

#2569 4 years ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

I had a boss that did that, in order to find what ever was bad on a game...
    He would wait tell a puff of smoke would come out of the game...
    "There it is"... he had no patience.

That explains why we see a lot of burned up boards and wiring in this threads and others.....

#2570 4 years ago

I worked with an intern that checked a PC power supply (back in the late 90s / early 2000s) by shorting the 5V to ground. I had no clue what was going on until I heard bang and the lights dimmed. I told him it was working and now it is trash. I suggested he use his meter first.

#2571 4 years ago

Those keying pins are expensive.

15862928856744758982059790709182 (resized).jpg15862928856744758982059790709182 (resized).jpg
    #2572 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Those keying pins are expensive.[quoted image]

Maybe not expensive but may have not had them. Actually that isn't a bad interim solution while waiting for some to come in. Better than no keying.

#2573 4 years ago
    Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Maybe not expensive but may have not had them. Actually that isn't a bad interim solution while waiting for some to come in. Better than no keying.

Absolutely agree. Mini zip ties is an old school trick

#2574 4 years ago

Someone modified this one for DC coils but did not change the coils. The wiring was a mess and one wire is burned.

IMG_5675 (resized).jpgIMG_5675 (resized).jpgIMG_5677 (resized).jpgIMG_5677 (resized).jpgIMG_5678 (resized).jpgIMG_5678 (resized).jpgIMG_5679 (resized).jpgIMG_5679 (resized).jpgIMG_5680 (resized).jpgIMG_5680 (resized).jpgIMG_5682 (resized).jpgIMG_5682 (resized).jpgIMG_5683 (resized).jpgIMG_5683 (resized).jpg
    #2575 4 years ago

A toothpick broken off in the key position is cheaper (free at most restaurants!) and when broken off flush, won't interfere with fully seating the connector to the header.

Richard

#2576 4 years ago
    Quoted from someotherguy:

A toothpick broken off in the key position is cheaper (free at most restaurants!) and when broken off flush, won't interfere with fully seating the connector to the header.
    Richard

Either way it's better than not having it and letting a connector be plugged in backwards!

#2577 4 years ago

Either way it's better than not having it and letting a connector be plugged in backwards!

Or off by one.

#2578 4 years ago
    Quoted from hazmat7719:

Someone modified this one for DC coils but did not change the coils. The wiring was a mess and one wire is burned.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Toasty!

CheeryDefinitiveCottonmouth-max-1mb.gifCheeryDefinitiveCottonmouth-max-1mb.gif
    #2579 4 years ago

What outlane?

20200408_173033.jpg20200408_173033.jpg
    #2580 4 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

What outlane? [quoted image]

I love the trial and error.

#2581 4 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

I love the trial and error.

That is not trial and error, he made it adjustable.

#2582 4 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

Whoever did that should not be allowed to work on any pinball machine and they need to learn how to play better....

#2583 4 years ago

pinball abuse right there

#2584 4 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

Nice one! I went to look at a few games for sale from a nice couple; the better game was a Space Odyssey with both side lanes blocked with a post, as well as the space between the flippers... ball couldn't drain.

I didn't have any words but all I could think of was "WTF are you morons thinking"?

#2585 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

Nice one! I went to look at a few games for sale from a nice couple; the better game was a Space Odyssey with both side lanes blocked with a post, as well as the space between the flippers... ball couldn't drain.
    I didn't have any words but all I could think of was "WTF are you morons thinking"?

"Bumper bowlingpinball! For the kids! You can't missdrain, but if you somehow still do, it's actually amazing!"

#2586 4 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

"Bumper
    bowlingpinball! For the kids! You can't
    missdrain, but if you somehow still do, it's actually amazing!"

Exactly my thoughts, but the "couple" showing me the games had no kids, doh!!!!

#2587 4 years ago

If I have no keypins I have used a square toothpick shoved in the hole and clipped flat with snips.

RM

#2588 4 years ago
    Quoted from RussMyers:

If I have no keypins I have used a square toothpick shoved in the hole and clipped flat with snips.
    RM

A valid repair. The special blank pins are a ripoff for what they cost.

#2589 4 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

Reminds me of a guy I know who kept coming to me with pinball questions as he was considering his first pin - a Central Park. I stopped helping him as soon as I learned he planned to block off the outlanes and tape popsickle sticks to the flippers.

#2590 4 years ago
    Quoted from rennervision:

tape popsickle sticks to the flippers.

I wanna see that now.

#2591 4 years ago
    Quoted from rennervision:

Reminds me of a guy I know who kept coming to me with pinball questions as he was considering his first pin - a Central Park. I stopped helping him as soon as I learned he planned to block off the outlanes and tape popsickle sticks to the flippers.

Where's the commitment these days? Epoxy is much better than tape.

#2592 4 years ago

This is on a Bally Freedom that I just brought home.

289036A6-6347-43F6-B8D4-129B97B2AD9C (resized).jpeg289036A6-6347-43F6-B8D4-129B97B2AD9C (resized).jpeg
    #2593 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

This is on a Bally Freedom that I just brought home.[quoted image]

I'm sure that cost a lot more than the proper lock for that door. What are people thinking??

#2594 4 years ago

I'm sure that cost a lot more than the proper lock for that door. What are people thinking??

And it kind of defeats the purpose when it's mounted with Phillips head screws (one is already coming out).

#2595 4 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

And it kind of defeats the purpose when it's mounted with Phillips head screws (one is already coming out).

Yea, all it did was damage an otherwise great condition door! I'm going to have to see about ways to fill the holes.

#2596 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

Yea, all it did was damage an otherwise great condition door! I'm going to have to see about ways to fill the holes.

The door is stainless. Any TIG (heliarc) welder can fill those holes.

Someone awhile back said a 6-pack of brew might persuade someone to do the weld for you.

#2597 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

This is on a Bally Freedom that I just brought home.[quoted image]

Since replacing the lock is really difficult , I would drill a hole on the cabinet front next to the keyhole , and use chain and padlock !

#2598 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

Unless you're doing a high end restore, consider covering them with some silver thumb tacks. I know, sounds tacky (haha), but it works. I've also cut small circles out of aluminized duct tape to cover holes.

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 5.55.39 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-04-12 at 5.55.39 AM (resized).png
    #2599 4 years ago

Yea, I don't think this table will pull a large enough sell price, to warrant a full restore. But I may have some welder buddies that can fill those holes too.

#2600 4 years ago

Space shuttle. They were desperate to get that switch working.

15868725326062912734977905658579 (resized).jpg15868725326062912734977905658579 (resized).jpg
    There are 4,671 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/52?hl=jethrop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.