Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,669 posts
  • 733 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 314 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240321_180554 (resized).jpg
    68714440943__356B9A98-CA54-4C2A-A85D-8E5C24E9F1AA (resized).jpeg
    There are 4,669 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 94.
    #201 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

In your opinion. I didn't even realize the artwork depicted half blue/half red robot arms coming down each side of the playfield, until I saw that someone accented it with colored LEDs. A lot of folks like that look, so

I thought it was an interesting approach for lighting. I wouldn't consider it a "hack" since it's simply a lighting choice, rather than something that was macgyvered.

#202 9 years ago
    Quoted from alicedagoon:

My Comet that came from N.J. had spiders in it, one flipper needed WD40 in the plunger, bulbs rolling around underneath, Ferris Wheel belt lasted about 50 games. Couple burned out bulbs ( of course under all the ramps ) not all the lights would flash. Rusty leg levelers, only 3 leg levelers sent. LED ALL red on one side. ALL blue on the other.

You shot WD-40 onto the plunger?

#203 9 years ago

Wait.... So if I put blue lights behind the all blue plastics it is going to mess up the blue? I don't completely follow this but ok. Lol

To each their own on color LEDs. I like them. Some don't. I don't like them on every single game. But sometimes the color adds to the art.

#204 9 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Wait.... So if I put blue lights behind the all blue plastics it is going to mess up the blue? I don't completely follow this but ok. Lol
    To each their own on color LEDs. I like them. Some don't. I don't like them on every single game. But sometimes the color adds to the art.

First off the plastics arent all blue, they are blue and white, the blue gets darker the the white turns blue, so yes it does mess up the colors. Its also the GI lighting you are changing. so as it spreads over the PF, it changes every colors its putting narrow spectrum light over. The orange/red/green orbits are now not orange/red/green since the those colors are not being provided by the GI to be reflected as the perceived color.

#205 9 years ago

Another perfectly fun thread shot to shit...

#206 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Another perfectly fun thread shot to shit...

I agree. A lighting choice is not a hack. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

#207 9 years ago

This is the ball trough on my BF. Found it saturday while rebuilding the flippers. Funny thing is it works perfectly.

CAM00243[1].jpgCAM00243[1].jpg
    #208 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

This is the ball trough on my BF. Found it saturday while rebuilding the flippers. Funny thing is it works perfectly.

CAM00243[1].jpg 295 KB

Leave it alone!!!

#209 9 years ago

Silicone is the duct tape of the stars

#210 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

CAM00243[1].jpg 295 KB

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Lol.

#211 9 years ago

They used all of the colors for this hack

photo.JPGphoto.JPG
    #212 9 years ago

Most of these bad solder jobs look like they use blow torches

#213 9 years ago

I posted this before ... Not making it up
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#214 9 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Silicone is the duct tape of the stars

Silicone spray is magic in a can.

#215 9 years ago

I bought a Getaway where the previous owner had a problem with a transistor.
    But why buy the correct transistor when you can do this and make it work in some way

Billede 13-03-14 20.29.57.jpgBillede 13-03-14 20.29.57.jpg
    #216 9 years ago

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Lol.

I prefer my games hack free. Besides it is much more fun to work on them then play them. Kinda wishing I had bought a bigger project to be honest.

#217 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Kinda wishing I had bought a bigger project to be honest.

LOL

#218 9 years ago
    Quoted from swedishc:

They used all of the colors for this hack

photo.JPG 176 KB

I wouldn't exactly call that a hack, sometimes traces just flake off, overheat, etc. However, it does look like some significant heat damage has happened to that board, so that aspect was probably just carelessness.

#219 9 years ago
    Quoted from alchy999:

NO Extra Ball for You!

BAfw8yvCIAEHdhB.jpg 49 KB

Photo makes me sad, ruined a perfectly good game.

#220 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

I prefer my games hack free. Besides it is much more fun to work on them then play them. Kinda wishing I had bought a bigger project to be honest.

It was sarcasm lol. I agree completely however. I also enjoy fixing them. I have only purchased one fully working game in my life (and still managed to find five or six things to fix lol). It is half the fun.

#221 9 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Photo makes me sad, ruined a perfectly good game.

This picture was something I saw last year on the internet and thought I would post it. Of course I would never entertain anything like this. It sure made me chuckle though...

#222 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

I absolutely love working on a pin, once mine are all fixed up I feel disappointed that I might only get to play them.

#223 9 years ago
    Quoted from tezting:

I bought a Getaway where the previous owner had a problem with a transistor.
    But why buy the correct transistor when you can do this and make it work in some way

"non-integrated circuit"

#224 9 years ago

image-749.jpgimage-749.jpg

Trough switch on my Hurricane.

I'm just now getting started on working on it. There will be more. Lol

#225 9 years ago

Hard to see in this pick, but just above the right flipper, they drilled in a new hole and used a round head bolt to replace a stripped out screw that fastened the right flipper down.

pinball 015.JPGpinball 015.JPG
    #226 9 years ago

I love this thread. Even though it hurts to read...

--Scott

#227 9 years ago

I have to confess using a key for a drop in a pinch before. Held up for a long time till I replaced it. Works well

#228 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I wouldn't exactly call that a hack, sometimes traces just flake off, overheat, etc. However, it does look like some significant heat damage has happened to that board, so that aspect was probably just carelessness.

I normally would agree, but in this case all of the capacitors and bridge rectifiers were just floating with no soldered connection to the board, just soldered to the wires.

#229 9 years ago
    Quoted from harbngr:

Hard to see in this pick, but just above the right flipper, they drilled in a new hole and used a round head bolt to replace a stripped out screw that fastened the right flipper down.

pinball 015.JPG 220 KB

I personally love the almost color match on the touch up paint on the playfield lol.

#230 9 years ago
    Quoted from swedishc:

I normally would agree, but in this case all of the capacitors and bridge rectifiers were just floating with no soldered connection to the board, just soldered to the wires.

Wow, didn't catch that!

#231 9 years ago

Someone decided to replace a 20 Amp Fuse. But they didn't have any so they decided to use 4 x 5 Amp. But didn't anyone tell them that it does not work like this?

BA6iOZTCcAA5Vt2.jpgBA6iOZTCcAA5Vt2.jpg
    #232 9 years ago
    Quoted from alchy999:

But didn't anyone tell them that it does not work like this?

It does work like that, that is now a 20A fuse. And ugly one, but 20A nonetheless.

#233 9 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

It does work like that, that is now a 20A fuse. And ugly one, but 20A nonetheless.

I dunno about that. Ohm's law and inconsistencies with wire lengths would say it will default to one of those fuses with the load not evenly split. Now I'm curious enough to try it later, hahaha. It is probably one of those things where it would sorta kinda work, but not quite.

#234 9 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

No, it does not. The breaking capacity of two or more fuses in parallel can be less than the breaking capacity of any single fuse, at 5A or probably a little less, one of those fuses will blow.

#235 9 years ago

my brain went temporarily on vacation.

#236 9 years ago
    Quoted from calvin12:

These are in parallel so the resistance is 1/t=1/r+1/r.. so 1/5+1/5+1/5+1/5. This is a 1.25A resistor pack. In series this would be a 20A fuse.

But fuses don't work like resistors. It is the thickness of the wire/heat/amperage that determines the blowing point. Running in series doesn't give you a 20A fuse, it'll just give you a really long 5A fuse.

#237 9 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

But fuses don't work like resistors. It is the thickness of the wire/heat/amperage that determines the blowing point. Running in series doesn't give you a 20A fuse, it'll just give you a really long 5A fuse.

oh crap is my head in the wrong place at the moment.

#238 9 years ago

nerd_fight_tex-100000258-large.jpgnerd_fight_tex-100000258-large.jpg

#239 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

No, it does not.

Okay, there are exceptions as we're dealing with the real world here and there will be inconsistencies with the fuses. But my point is that yes, in a parallel circuit this is how it works, the current divides between the fuses. Yes, the fuse's resistance affects how current divides and it may not be a 20A fuse. There's probably other things to take into consideration that are beyond me.

I shouldn't have make a blanket statement saying it was now a 20A fuse. But it is also incorrect to make a blanket statement saying this isn't how it works.

#240 9 years ago

Saw this one recently. Sometimes I think that we should ban drywall screws.
    Wally
    100_6948.JPG100_6948.JPG

#241 9 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

But it is also incorrect to make a blanket statement saying this isn't how it works.

You are not considering the nature of the fuse and it's properties that make it a protection device. For example: Two 5A fuses in parallel do not make a 10A fuse, because as soon as current goes above 5A one of those two fuses is going to blow, and then the total current tries to go through the other all at once and it also blows.

I'll tell you what though, the circuit is definitely protected if it was supposed to carry 20A.

#242 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I'll tell you what though, the circuit is definitely protected if it was supposed to carry 20A.

Right.

That fuse cluster will certainly blow before 20A goes through it.

#243 9 years ago

Black knight upper playfield. Wow! that ball isn't going to bounce in. Great idea

IMG_0473.JPGIMG_0473.JPG
    #244 9 years ago

I love how both of those hacked up playfields with drywall screws and nails in them are sporting some nice LED lights lol.

#245 9 years ago

I love how both of those hacked up playfields with drywall screws and nails in them are sporting some nice LED lights lol.

They've been "shopped out".

Enough of that though.

#246 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

because as soon as current goes above 5A one of those two fuses is going to blow

Awww...jeez. I'm not even going to bother. I'll leave it to Pinsiders to read about Ohm's law and educate themselves.

What's next, Newton's universal law of gravitation? I hear it isn't true either.

#247 9 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Awww...jeez. I'm not even going to bother. I'll leave it to Pinsiders to read about Ohm's law and educate themselves.
    What's next, Newton's universal law of gravitation? I hear it isn't true either.

Either way they should just go buy a some new fuses. They probably would but, the only place to get them is at radio shack and since they bad mouthed radio shack on pinside they are not allowed in there and had to make this contraption.

#248 9 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Electronics Vocational school + Technical school grad in '84, and over 30 years experience in several electronics companies. Currently QC and production manager at the one I've been at for 15 years. And my list goes on... but I digress.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything, but to insinuate that I don't know ohms law, gimme a break. In this case Kirchoff's law applies even more if you know what that is.

Maybe you should be the one to get some education. Fuses in parallel have to be within specific resistance tolerances, and they get derated at certain percentages depending how many are in parallel. There's specific rules about this.

http://ep-uk.mersen.com/fileadmin/user_upload/_common_/Training_Modules/TM_109_Parallel_Implentation_Of_The_Fuses_EN.pdf

#249 9 years ago

Using this equation, the rating of the fuse battery would be 18A. Of course this won't be the real case, given the different resistances of the solders, but it surely wouldnt blow at 5A.

#250 9 years ago
    Quoted from initfo:

Using this equation, the rating of the fuse battery would be 18A. Of course this won't be the real case, given the different resistances of the solders, but it surely wouldnt blow at 5A.

I should also make this more clear. If any PATH (meaning individual fuse) exceeds 5A, that fuse will blow. That's going to depend on a few things, including the resistances of all the fuses and how far apart those resistances are.

There are 4,669 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.