Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,665 posts
  • 733 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by mojonitro
  • Topic is favorited by 313 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240321_180554 (resized).jpg
    68714440943__356B9A98-CA54-4C2A-A85D-8E5C24E9F1AA (resized).jpeg
    68714440123__30A6C9F0-7A87-4D13-882F-CC6C530664AA (resized).jpeg
    362393458_1478280539605169_7357000172916421133_n (resized).jpg
    There are 4,665 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 94.
    #2101 4 years ago

Whelp. Better light that machine on fire.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #2102 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

Whelp. Better light that machine on fire.[quoted image]

First thing that I saw there too... never-mind the wiring.

#2103 4 years ago

Thats the best worst hack ive seen . Glad i didnt buy it. best of luck my friend.

#2104 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

Whelp. Better light that machine on fire.[quoted image]

john goodman arachnaphobia main (Custom) (resized).jpgjohn goodman arachnaphobia main (Custom) (resized).jpg
    #2105 4 years ago

Found this while working on my ali yesterday.

The slingshot kicker broke off so someone ground down a coil retainer bracket and brazed it on.

20190618_075654 (resized).jpg20190618_075654 (resized).jpg20190618_075714 (resized).jpg20190618_075714 (resized).jpg
    #2106 4 years ago

Pretty good work considering what else I've seen on this thread. Also, I think that kicker arm is unobtainium - you have to convert to Williams.

#2107 4 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Pretty good work considering what else I've seen on this thread. Also, I think that kicker arm is unobtainium - you have to convert to Williams.

Luckily I have lots of used spares

#2108 4 years ago

When I was a route tech, broken coil stops, flipper and bumper bracket breaks on pins in bowling alleys were a joy. Every bowling alley had a welder and bench with a nice vise.
    The welded repair lasted forever. Never had to make a return trip with parts.

#2109 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Found this while working on my ali yesterday.
    The slingshot kicker broke off so someone ground down a coil retainer bracket and brazed it on.[quoted image][quoted image]

What you want to watch for is slop at the pivot of the bracket. Rotational friction puts a lot of wear on that bracket which can allow excessive rocking movement with the lever itself. I cannot speak to whether it affects sling shot lever action or not.

Pinball Life sells a Williams/Bally bracket that makes a nice replacement for a worn Stern pivot. It is an almost perfect fit. You have to remove a small amount of material from the Stern lever pivot to allow it to be clipped onto the replacement bracket. And you have to relocated one hole on your play field to accommodate the replacement bracket as it is a bit shorter than the Stern bracket.

There work like a charm.

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-slingshot-kicker-mounting-bracket.html

#2110 4 years ago

On a construction site i once saw somebody claiming to be an electrician providing an on-site outlet ending in a male connector.
    To be honest, this "electrician didn't have swedish authorisation.

I honestly think, that's Hard to beat.

#2111 4 years ago

I didn't get a picture of it, but I didn't have time to rebuild the flippers on my recently purchased BSD before bringing it to the NW Pinball & Arcade Show. Right before opening on day 2 someone reported one of the flippers was stuck up. I disassembled it and found someone had ductaped the coil stop, being on for 10+ hours with constant play at the show melted the duct tape, which cemented the coil. Luckily Rob Anthony had flipper rebuild kits for sale in his booth, I rebuilt that flipper on the show floor in 20 minutes and was finishing up as the doors opened. Worked like a champ for the rest of the show.

#2112 4 years ago

I don't have a picture of it , but I saw a wood dowel installed in place of the plastic used in a kick back bell plunger...

1 month later
    #2113 4 years ago

Analog volume control

B9848F6F-2DF9-46C2-A8F2-46FD07C6FE6D (resized).jpegB9848F6F-2DF9-46C2-A8F2-46FD07C6FE6D (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #2114 4 years ago

Leaf switch solder tab broke off? Just push it against this corroded metal bracket.

IMG_20190822_211255 (resized).jpgIMG_20190822_211255 (resized).jpgIMG_20190822_211301 (resized).jpgIMG_20190822_211301 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #2115 4 years ago

Little guys are warm but wokrk! F 14 flash lamp board.

20190904_183356 (resized).jpg20190904_183356 (resized).jpg
    #2116 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Little guys are warm but wokrk! F 14 flash lamp board.[quoted image]

#2117 4 years ago

Little guys are warm but wokrk! F 14 flash lamp board.

Actually if you do the math on these resistors, they are better then the originals.

#2118 4 years ago

Little guys are warm but wokrk! F 14 flash lamp board.[quoted image]

Hah, that's awesome

#2119 4 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

Actually if you do the math on these resistors, they are better then the originals.

The resistor in the middle of that mess might be a little warmer. LOL

#2120 4 years ago

Not sure where to start. I'll be fixing it and putting it back to original (and working).

20190904_212611 (resized).jpg20190904_212611 (resized).jpg20190904_212617 (resized).jpg20190904_212617 (resized).jpg
    #2121 4 years ago

I picked up this Space Station not long ago. The guy said "It has some incorrect coils, and one or two wiring hacks." . Nothing that prepared me to see this:

2019-09-05 11.53.08.png2019-09-05 11.53.08.png

2019-09-05 11.50.56.png2019-09-05 11.50.56.png

2019-09-05 11.47.56.png2019-09-05 11.47.56.png

2019-09-05 11.54.08.png2019-09-05 11.54.08.png

A hacked in Data East SS Flipper board and some Frankenstein flipper mechs. Love the power supply hook in, and solenoid coil floating around in the bottom. I pulled that s#it out and repaired the loom, and installed the original equipment, it's a fantastic game... now.

2019-09-05 11.57.45.png2019-09-05 11.57.45.png

2 weeks later
    #2122 4 years ago

Here's a nice fix for a broken power switch

nice switch (resized).jpgnice switch (resized).jpg

#2123 4 years ago

How about this nice FirePower 2 Spotted for sale on Craigslist... allentown.craigslist.org link

FP2 (resized).pngFP2 (resized).png
    #2124 4 years ago
    Quoted from djblouw:

Here's a nice fix for a broken power switch
    [quoted image]

Can I have "How to start a fire" for $400 Alex?

#2125 4 years ago

Hey now! That's called a fuseable link

#2126 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

How about this nice FirePower 2 Spotted for sale on Craigslist... allentown.craigslist.org link[quoted image]

are you sure that it wasn't listed as "was on [fire]power 2"?

#2127 4 years ago

Well look at this craptastic hack. Eff these kinds of people.
    20190921_163905 (resized).jpg20190921_163905 (resized).jpg

Looks like it was welded on?! Wtf?

20190921_164328 (resized).jpg20190921_164328 (resized).jpg
    #2128 4 years ago

Yes, yes it is. Smh. Dipshits.

#2129 4 years ago

No pics, but I recently worked on a customer's new (to them) Fast Draw. The game was started by pushing a piece of broomstick that was ziptied to the AX relay and then pulling it when the machine finished resetting. The GI fuse was foil wrapped. And best of all, the plunger was literally dripping with axle grease and had a pool cue tip! Awesome.

Shawn

#2130 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

[quoted image]
    Looks like it was welded on?! Wtf?[quoted image]

Quoted from FatPanda:

Yes, yes it is. Smh. Dipshits.

Relax, this is an operator hack. This is what they do when brackets snap off. I've worked on many games with various weld fixes on brackets, coils stops, ramps, etc.

A few minutes of welding, and the game is back up and earning again.

#2131 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Relax, this is an operator hack. This is what they do when brackets snap off. I've worked on many games with various weld fixes on brackets, coils stops, ramps, etc.

It's still going to cost me money to get a new bracket, or new mech or whatever else I need to change out the coil stop. It makes an easy replacement not replaceable so yeah, my sentiments are still the same.

#2132 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

It's still going to cost me money to get a new bracket, or new mech or whatever else I need to change out the coil stop. It makes an easy replacement not replaceable so yeah, my sentiments are still the same.

It seemed like you were unnecessarily angry about it.

You could always just get a used bracket--you don't necessarily have to get a brand new one. I like to keep various brackets and assemblies on hand just to replace broken and hacked up stuff like this.

#2133 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It seemed like you were unnecessarily angry about it.
    You could always just get a used bracket--you don't necessarily have to get a brand new one. I like to keep various brackets and assemblies on hand just to replace broken and hacked up stuff like this.

I'm more annoyed than angry. I get it was a different time then with a different mentality but still, it went through who knows how many hands, and I dont like cutting corners. It's all good, but I'm still irritated

#2134 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

It's all good, but I'm still irritated

Just go back and think how your boys did today. That will relieve some of that irritation. Great job beating up on Michigan.

#2135 4 years ago
    Quoted from bssbllr:

Just go back and think how your boys did today. That will relieve some of that irritation. Great job beating up on Michigan.

They did a helluva job on both sides of the ball. Couldnt be any happier!

#2136 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

They did a helluva job on both sides of the ball. Couldnt be any happier!

Harbaugeddon.

#2137 4 years ago

I guess loctite was not part of ones vocabulary.

#2138 4 years ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

I guess loctite was not part of ones vocabulary.

how would loctite solve a broken bracket problem? does the loctite sold where you live have different, makical properties than the product available here in the states?

#2139 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

[quoted image]
    Looks like it was welded on?! Wtf?[quoted image]

Nice.

#2140 4 years ago

Not a repair , but more of a manufacture error . Williams Black Knight. Or someone wanted a new credit switch.

20190923_081353 (resized).jpg20190923_081353 (resized).jpg
    #2141 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

how would loctite solve a broken bracket problem? does the loctite sold where you live have different, makical properties than the product available here in the states?

The bracket does not like it is cracked. The welds along the sides suggest the screws were not holding tight.

#2142 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

The bracket does not like it is cracked. The welds along the sides suggest the screws were not holding tight.

This is what I was thinking. I don't have an angle grinder, but need one for another small project. I was thinking of grinding/cutting it off to see if the screw threads were ok. If they held, it'd be just a simple new coil stop, as the flippers look to be rebuilt not too long ago. But I'm sure the previous owner that did the rebuild stopped at the coil stop because of the weld.

#2143 4 years ago

Besides that, does anyone know if this flipper base will work?
    https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-right-staked-flipper-base-sub-assembly.html

The parts manual (planetary pinball) only gives the part number of the complete assembly, not of the individual parts.

#2144 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Besides that, does anyone know if this flipper base will work?
    https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-right-staked-flipper-base-sub-assembly.html
    The parts manual (planetary pinball) only gives the part number of the complete assembly, not of the individual parts.

Which game is it for? Is that a WPC era machine?

#2145 4 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Which game is it for? Is that a WPC era machine?

It's for Scorcerer

#2146 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

It's for Scorcerer

Space Shuttle, Sorcerer, Comet. have the same flipper bracket that uses 8/32 hardware for the back coil stop.
    Williams would upgrade the next iteration of their flipper bracket with 10/32 pem nuts and hardware
    along with adding the front bumper plug and pushing the front angle part of the bracket forward to
    accommodate the new dampener plug.
    Firepower II was the first 50volt flipper assembly.
    The coil stops were experimental aluminum blocks with plugs sticking out.
    The left and right pawl assembly would also go through deferent iterations.

#2147 4 years ago

So would this be another case that the WPC style mechanism would be an improvement?

#2148 4 years ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

Space Shuttle, Sorcerer, Comet. have the same flipper bracket that uses 8/32 hardware for the back coil stop.
    Williams would upgrade the next iteration of their flipper bracket with 10/32 pem nuts and hardware
    along with adding the front bumper plug and pushing the front angle part of the bracket forward to
    accommodate the new dampener plug.
    Firepower II was the first 50volt flipper assembly.
    The coil stops were experimental aluminum blocks with plugs sticking out.
    The left and right pawl assembly would also go through deferent iterations.

Thanks for the info, but doesn't answer the question if the linked bracket would work or not

#2149 4 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

So would this be another case that the WPC style mechanism would be an improvement?

I have no problems with the mechs as they are now. The right flipper has more range of motion due to the worn coil stop. They both have plenty of snap and power to move the ball without any issues. Just want to have both flippers feel the same.

#2150 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yeah, but the funny thing is that they had a welder and not a bracket.

There are 4,665 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/43?hl=collint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.