Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,667 posts
  • 733 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 hours ago by Tuukka
  • Topic is favorited by 314 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240321_180554 (resized).jpg
    68714440943__356B9A98-CA54-4C2A-A85D-8E5C24E9F1AA (resized).jpeg
    There are 4,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 94.
    #101 11 years ago

This one was funny - Transistor on Stilts - and get this - it didn't work! In an Apollo 13 I shopped. tranonstilts.jpgtranonstilts.jpg

#102 11 years ago
    Quoted from LBJ:

Came across this on eBay, not really a hack or repair but a WTF were they thinking??!!

had that on two machines... a screw in the playfield.... why ... WHY?

#103 11 years ago

Not really a hack but all 4 bottom fuses were 30 amp fuses..

image.jpgimage.jpg

1 week later
    #104 11 years ago

check out this hack job from my wwf rr

#105 11 years ago

here it is

IMAG0503.jpgIMAG0503.jpg

#106 11 years ago

they soldered all the pins together game was full of this kind of stuff

#107 11 years ago
    Quoted from jimster102:

they soldered all the pins together game was full of this kind of stuff

On a DE PS, CN8 is a GI connector. Output I believe.

4 pins are supply, and 4 are return. The top 4 are tied together via trace, and the bottom 4 are tied together via trace. They often burn, and that repair you see is actually pretty typical.

#108 11 years ago

I did the same thing by laying a solid 18ga wire alongside the four ends of the pins on the solder side, then continued it over to the pin on the relay. Better but maybe still a little hackish.

#109 11 years ago

Recently picked up a LW3 with some issues. Power supply fuse holder clips were busted off so someone soldered/clipped some fuse holders in place. Also found a big garbled up mess near the coin door. They used old telephone wire to tap into the power supply and added some little circuit board amongst other things, haven't started to unwrap that mess yet.

IMG_0539.JPGIMG_0539.JPG IMG_0541.JPGIMG_0541.JPG

#110 11 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Here is another one.
    I get not being able to desolder and reusing the leads on the old component but come on. You couldnt cut the lead shorter.

Those remind me of the aliens walking around in the movie "War of the Worlds"!

#111 11 years ago

At least they left fuses in circuit instead of just jumpering across the clips!

#112 11 years ago

Homemade Gottlieb System 80 CPU Reset board. This was installed in my Black Hole when I purchased it 10 years ago. Amazingly this still works, though I should probably remove it from the game.

#113 11 years ago
    Quoted from mcclad:

Speaking of old rubber, I have seen some rings on a playfield that had turned to chalk and the owner kept trying to wash them instead of just getting new ones.

I recently got a machine that the person had replaced the rubbers with rubber bands and even a woman's hair tie...

#114 11 years ago

Came across this one recently.

2013-01-01_14.34.44.jpg2013-01-01_14.34.44.jpg

#115 11 years ago

^^^^^ lol, is that an old telephone handset cord or a guitar cable?

#116 11 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

Came across this one recently.

Hah! Effective use of CB mic cable.

#117 11 years ago
    Quoted from woz:

Homemade Gottlieb System 80 CPU Reset board. This was installed in my Black Hole when I purchased it 10 years ago. Amazingly this still works, though I should probably remove it from the game.

If it works, save it. Kind of a "Badge of Honor". Note the Rockwell logo on the PCB. I spent some time at the plant where they built those boards at 6 Butterfield Trail in El Paso, Texas. Rockwell IC's were wafer fabricated and encased on Jamboree Road in Newport Beach, CA.

#118 11 years ago
    Quoted from woz:

That is awesome!

#119 11 years ago

That phone looking cable comes stock on a BSD,! its for the magnet (mist multiball). apparently its been hacked in a few spots.

#120 11 years ago

Ha! I didn't know that. Like Compy, I would've guessed cut off CB mic cable myself.

#121 11 years ago

Not a "hack", but you think they could have used some hot glue or something...

#122 11 years ago

Now THIS is a hack!

IMG_0351.JPGIMG_0351.JPG

#123 11 years ago

There are some awesome hacks on Steve Kulpa's page!

http://stevekulpa.net/pinhacks/pinhacks.htm

hack17.jpghack17.jpg

#124 11 years ago
    Quoted from woz:

This one for the win!

#125 11 years ago

When I bought the machine the guy said "it keeps blowing fuses; but I fixed it". When I got it home it did not blow any fuses.

1.JPG1.JPG

#126 11 years ago

Two years ago my uncle purchased a "bargain non working DE Star Wars" on ebay for $900. Listing had ONE crappy picture, but he incisted on purchasing it and freighting it from CA to CT for me to rebuild.

Machine showed up... a terrible re-import from somewhere in South America. I found car parts substituted for proper connectors, a non-stock push button on the up/down lever, held in place with crumpled up newspaper from Brazil, and best of all, the coin door hack. Someone crow-barred the cash box and basically ruined the front of the machine. Instead of fixing the issue, it was masked by a homemade metal bezel.

Need to dig up the pics, they're epic.

#127 11 years ago

When I bought my White Water, it was showing the F114-F115 error and the previous owner said it would instantly blow a new fuse. So first thing I looked at was the rectifiers.

http://www.siegecraft.us/the_siege_blog/blog/assets_c/2011/05/100_1937-386.html

The left side piece was the problem. Wouldn't have been too bad of a repair actually, using a lug style instead of a lead style..... except they put it in 90 degrees off, and thus was causing a loop short.

-Hans

#128 11 years ago

We've all seen and done "quick" repairs and I'm guilty, due to things seem to break at the worst times. For example, a quick 5 minute epoxy on a ramp repair when all your friends are over having a pinball tourny! some things one can't predict.

#129 11 years ago

bought an X-files from a company (wait for the kicker)...... got it for such a nice price that it was a "grab and go" deal. After getting home and tinkering with a few things i looked on the boards and saw a stiff copper wire was soldered in at a fuse socket!!!! talk about hard wired!

now the kicker: It was an electrical contractors company and this was in the office for the employees to chill out with at lunch time and the likes!

sigh.

(i unsoldered the wire, replaced it with the proper fuse for the spot and it never had a problem... wow too lazy to get the right fuse.... hacky mchacky mchack hack )

#130 11 years ago

Forgot to click a picture off... but my Champion Pub had a melted down skateboard wheel used for the center pop up. It was melted onto the top of the solenoid plunger. That piece is/was available everywhere for $5.

#131 11 years ago
    Quoted from LBJ:

Volano_Wood_Screws!.JPGVolano_Wood_Screws!.JPGCame across this on eBay, not really a hack or repair but a WTF were they thinking??!!

#132 11 years ago
    Quoted from LBJ:

Came across this on eBay, not really a hack or repair but a WTF were they thinking??!!

site messed up. double post

#133 11 years ago
    Quoted from LBJ:

site messed up. triple post

#134 11 years ago

General hack for G.I. from T2

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PuuJK.jpg[/IMG] Picture_023.jpgPicture_023.jpg

#135 11 years ago

They obviously don't want you to get an extra ball much easier to turn extra ball off in menu

#136 11 years ago

#137 11 years ago

That’s just nasty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#138 11 years ago

Gee I can hardly compete, mine pails in comparison. This one had reset issues, replaced with a NOS one.
    Guess there was no choice but to make due....

IMG_1682.JPGIMG_1682.JPG IMG_1683.JPGIMG_1683.JPG

#139 11 years ago

Seawitch, 2 upper flippers replaced with post !
    Before restoration and after.

IMG_4498.JPGIMG_4498.JPG IMG_5589_-_Copie.JPGIMG_5589_-_Copie.JPG

#140 11 years ago

ROFL!

#141 11 years ago

It looks like they also had a post mounter in one of the inserts in front of that ramp?

#142 11 years ago
    Quoted from Prmailers:

Now THIS is a hack!

Who needs connectors.....

#143 11 years ago

Someone previous decided that instead of using the correct coil & stop for drop targets on my Time Warp, that it was easier to put old flipper rubbers behind the coil stop, to hold it in place when. Nice.

I've got this corrected now...

#144 11 years ago

Someone previous decided that instead of using the correct coil & stop for drop targets on my Time Warp, that it was easier to put old flipper rubbers behind the coil stop, to hold it in place when. Nice.

I've got this corrected now...

IMG_0610[1].JPGIMG_0610[1].JPG

#147 11 years ago

Extract from a Big Game :
    Heat Sink made with a part of an amplifier..,
    and a special mechanism for adjust the EOS.

#148 11 years ago

After looking at this thread is certainly isn't the worst I've seen but its...innovative.

408626_679527864274_1765089464_n.jpg408626_679527864274_1765089464_n.jpg

#149 11 years ago

Oups..

P1010320.JPGP1010320.JPG P1010396-1.JPGP1010396-1.JPG P1010398-1.JPGP1010398-1.JPG

#150 11 years ago

lb45 - at least they used thinner wire for the 5A fuse.

There are 4,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/3?hl=trumpy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.