Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,667 posts
  • 733 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by Tuukka
  • Topic is favorited by 314 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240321_180554 (resized).jpg
    68714440943__356B9A98-CA54-4C2A-A85D-8E5C24E9F1AA (resized).jpeg
    There are 4,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 94.
    #1601 6 years ago

I submit this picture, the worst hack to rule them all

Screenshot_20180213-140304 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180213-140304 (resized).png

#1602 6 years ago

IIRC this was in a children's hospital

#1603 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

IIRC this was in a children's hospital

In that case I think it's a great hack...

#1604 6 years ago

This is a normal thing to weld right?!?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#1605 6 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Actually, that's way stronger than stock. You'd be crazy to replace if operating that machine.

#1606 6 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

I submit this picture, the worst hack to rule them all

That was specifically made for a kid in a wheelchair. You knew that as it was posted along with the original photo.

You are a DB!

#1607 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Actually, that's way stronger than stock. You'd be crazy to replace if operating that machine.

Not operating, doing a restore on a FT, have spares

#1608 6 years ago

I don’t usually post stuff , but am amused by some of the hacks that are posted . ...came across this pool sharks hack that i thought would get some laughs ... and then an engineer friend created this hack on Elvira that made me laugh ...

9459284E-A0EB-4EB6-9B80-8214C6CEF127 (resized).jpeg9459284E-A0EB-4EB6-9B80-8214C6CEF127 (resized).jpeg

5F37A148-0BFE-459F-9BA9-266486B758C0 (resized).jpeg5F37A148-0BFE-459F-9BA9-266486B758C0 (resized).jpeg

#1609 6 years ago
    Quoted from NovaNut66:

and then an engineer friend created this hack on Elvira that made me laugh ...

I don't see that as a hack at all. Replacing the IDC connector with a crimp Molex connector (hopefully trifurcon) is always a good thing. The Y connector divides the current across two pins as the original connector did. Can't crimp two wires of this gauge into one connector in order to daisy chain another connection to mimic the original so this is the next best thing.

#1610 6 years ago

This is a new one to me...

IMG_20180218_212844 (resized).jpgIMG_20180218_212844 (resized).jpg

#1611 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

#1612 6 years ago

I see what you mean.... there is a few bad looking crimps!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1613 6 years ago

There a shit load of bad crimps.

Oh this is definitely one of my favorite topics.

#1614 6 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Odds on the weld being done with the coil still attached?

#1615 6 years ago

Pretty low, lol.

#1616 6 years ago

This is from an 70s Williams EM ball kicker assembly. The spring on the left is supposed to be where the the bakelite linkage goes.

Mike V

IMG_1789 (resized).JPGIMG_1789 (resized).JPG

#1617 6 years ago
    Quoted from RacingPin:

This is from an 70s Williams EM ball kicker assembly. The spring on the left is supposed to be where the the bakelite linkage goes.
    Mike V

Factory

#1618 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Ok, that is an impressive amount a work to go to for replacing one plug.

#1619 6 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Ok, that is an impressive amount a work to go to for replacing one plug.

To be fair, I can't seem to locate the plug anywhere online. Will probably have to split it in two...

#1620 6 years ago
    Quoted from songofsixpence:

At the risk of sounding ignorant, can someone explain the "10K by Christmas" to me?

Clearly, it's a running joke, but I can't find what started it.

Back in the long Xmen thread, when prices were skyrocketing, the machine was hyped because of it being limited. The features like pop up figures, real back glass, and a moving ramp could not be duplicated by the pro model. Borg's other pin, Tron LE, was surging in price. So the hype was to get into buying the XMLE at 7k in the summer it was released otherwise it would be 10k by Christmas.

Problems with code, Aux Boards, and Wolverine figure had the machine price going the other way. The people who bought in early, saw the price go down if they wanted to sell.

So any new machine that is hyped will usually see a 10k by Christmas quote to put things back into perspective.

#1621 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Pinball now has been genetically modified!

#1622 6 years ago

WTF? This was definitely easier than just installing a new coin door lock through the existing hole.

IMG_5281 (resized).JPGIMG_5281 (resized).JPG

"Hey, there was no rollover button here." His buddy - "Well shit man, I have some tape. That'll fix her right up."

IMG_5282 (resized).JPGIMG_5282 (resized).JPG

#1623 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I have some tape

That was tape from the NIB crate... so "factory" for sure.

#1624 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

WTF? This was definitely easier than just installing a new coin door lock through the existing hole.

"Hey, there was no rollover button here." His buddy - "Well shit man, I have some tape. That'll fix her right up."

You make laugh till crying!! One of the best post!!

#1625 6 years ago

I saw this today on ebay.. someone put a lot of work into this.

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

#1626 6 years ago

Oh ok I see the problem now. There is clearly a PIA error at u41.

#1627 6 years ago

I would buy this but he forgot to socket the oscillator, that's a deal breaker.

#1628 6 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Oh ok I see the problem now. There is clearly a PIA error at u41.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

I would buy this but he forgot to socket the oscillator, that's a deal breaker.

LMFAO

#1629 6 years ago

I'm amazed that a post has not been made regarding the socket type being sub-par. FTR, those are my favorite type of DIP IC sockets, particularly the ones made by Augat.

#1630 6 years ago

Shotgun!

And yes, that will take many hours of tedious desoldering and soldering.

To be fair, though, I have an MPU on my bench right now where I had to replace every single chip because they were all toast--it probably got hit with high voltage, maybe from mixing up connectors.

But that's not to say that the same may happened to that sys11 board--someone could have simply approached it as a big black mystery box and just started replacing every active component possible.

#1631 6 years ago

It continues.

"Oh man, the left flipper is sagging down a little bit."

Buddy - "No no no. Dang it. Put that darn Allen key away. I have a nice screw we can put it right through the playfield and you'll never have that problem again."

The infamous flipper rest mod.

IMG_5305 (resized).JPGIMG_5305 (resized).JPG

#1632 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

It continues.
    Buddy - "No no no. Dang it. Put that darn Allen key away. I have a nice screw we can put it right through the playfield and you'll never have that problem again."

He /she went into a whole lot of trouble installing a grommet too though )

#1633 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

It continues.

The LEAST he could have done is put the screw in the right spot so the flipper rests in the correct position. Sheesh.

#1634 6 years ago

Wow. THAT is a good one. What in the actual crap??

#1635 6 years ago
    Quoted from phototamer:

He /she went into a whole lot of trouble installing a grommet too though )

Whoever had this went through a lot of trouble to make some modifications that had very simple, easy fixes if done the right way.

Sometimes when you save a game out of a shed it needs a shop job...and sometimes they need surgery. I haven't even lifted the playfield up yet, and it's already time to break out the scalpel.

#1636 6 years ago

I picked up a Six Million Dollar Man with a couple interesting mods. Apparently, regular Office Max rubber bands are an upgrade to expensive flipper bands with the added benefit of allowing the pinball to go airborne! Also, if one slingshot rubber is good, then two must be better—-makes it bionic!

C9F22E1B-6A10-43E7-A7A5-EAF3F7BF6CDD (resized).jpegC9F22E1B-6A10-43E7-A7A5-EAF3F7BF6CDD (resized).jpeg

985A0C4F-3BFA-467B-A18C-458E6FF42AFF (resized).jpeg985A0C4F-3BFA-467B-A18C-458E6FF42AFF (resized).jpeg

#1637 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballdad1961:

Also, if one slingshot rubber is good, then two must be better—-makes it bionic!

I have seen balls get trapped inside slingshots on games from this era. Two rings seems to prevent that. Only really relevant on a location game, where such an event puts you out of business, but whoever owned it probably got it that way from an operator, and never changed rings or assumed it was normal.

#1638 6 years ago
    Quoted from RoyGBev:

I have seen balls get trapped inside slingshots on games from this era. Two rings seems to prevent that. Only really relevant on a location game, where such an event puts you out of business, but whoever owned it probably got it that way from an operator, and never changed rings or assumed it was normal.

Would it also sap a bit of the energy of the kicker?

#1639 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

It continues.

WTF is it with people putting screw holes in playfields!!!! And is that another hole just the the lower tip of the same flipper? Like they tried the bottom tip of flipper screw mod, and after putting it in found that oh yea, the ball might hit it, so moved the fng screw to the more reasonable and attractive mid flipper position?

#1640 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

WTF is it with people putting screw holes in playfields!!!!

It's infuriating isn't it? The Sky Jump I got had extra posts added in the outlanes, but the actual outlane posts had not been moved to the liberal position before butchering things.

#1641 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

... And is that another hole just the the lower tip of the same flipper? ...

Those are from the factory.

#1642 6 years ago
    Quoted from ajfclark:

Would it also sap a bit of the energy of the kicker?

Probably, but the difference isn't obvious. I remember seeing double slingshot rings on location pins in my area (Little Rock). At Aladdin's Castle they didn't have them but I recall seeing balls trapped in slingshots there. It's happened on my Paragon at home at least once.

#1643 6 years ago

Tek screw anyone? Seriously, some people have absolutely no idea. Found on a Black Rose that I just purchased.

20180306_140252 (resized).jpg20180306_140252 (resized).jpg

#1644 6 years ago

You can never have to many holes in your playfield!

20180306_141755 (resized).jpg20180306_141755 (resized).jpg

#1645 6 years ago
    Quoted from king-pin:

You can never have to many holes in your playfield!

Those holes are factory, although they are chewed up.

RussM

image-7 (resized).jpgimage-7 (resized).jpg

#1646 6 years ago

Wpc95 driver board. Would you believe the gi wasn’t working?

0C694C0F-0591-4E03-81F4-B9EDFF517D93 (resized).jpeg0C694C0F-0591-4E03-81F4-B9EDFF517D93 (resized).jpeg

#1647 6 years ago

They tried really, really hard, though.

Richard

#1648 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer22:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #1649 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer22:

Gross

#1650 6 years ago

Mata Hari EM playfield...Ive seen a bunch of post additions between the flippers but never one in the middle of a playfield...geez...

1C2CE1C2-C48E-44A6-A8D4-B336B7442C80 (resized).jpeg1C2CE1C2-C48E-44A6-A8D4-B336B7442C80 (resized).jpeg

There are 4,667 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/33?hl=haggy38 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.