(Topic ID: 28788)

Worst hack/repair you ever saw.

By mcclad

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17137452019287598807293974414584 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    There are 4,671 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 94.
    #1501 6 years ago

What the hell happened to that other board that made cutting it up to fix this one the better option?!

#1502 6 years ago
    Quoted from MarAlb:

Maybe she was very busy with this one:

Wow! I think thats a winner.

#1503 6 years ago

Dsuperbee showed me this beautiful hack he found on his JP that he's fixing up:
    IMG_4685 (resized).JPGIMG_4685 (resized).JPG
    Did the screws go through the cab? You bet!
    IMG_4686 (resized).JPGIMG_4686 (resized).JPG

#1504 6 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

Did the screws go through the cab? You bet!

That's not stock?

#1505 6 years ago

They wanted to dump that game cause the flipper kept locking on?

#1506 6 years ago
    Quoted from MarAlb:

What the HP Lovecraft is that?

#1507 6 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

I guess they figured the 2 screws down the middle were not enough so lets stick 4 more in for good measure !

#1508 6 years ago
    Quoted from MarAlb:

If this had been on Frankenstien pinball.....

#1509 6 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I guess they figured the 2 screws down the middle were not enough so lets stick 4 more in for good measure !

I was wondering if they'd chewed out the two screws so added the other 4 to try and hold the stack tight?

#1510 6 years ago
    Quoted from ajfclark:

I was wondering if they'd chewed out the two screws so added the other 4 to try and hold the stack tight?

That's my theory. That's so much easier than gluing a couple toothpicks in those holes, isn't it?

#1511 6 years ago

This is a working WPC board, but decided to fix this connector hack today. I don't do a lot of board work but I'm good with my Hakko. It looks like this has had extensive "heat wear". Is there anything besides this connector I should take care of while I have it out? Should I be concerned about those exposed traces?

DSCN3807 (resized).JPGDSCN3807 (resized).JPG

DSCN3810 (resized).JPGDSCN3810 (resized).JPG

DSCN3811 (resized).JPGDSCN3811 (resized).JPG

DSCN3812 (resized).JPGDSCN3812 (resized).JPG

#1512 6 years ago

May be the beer - why the two diodes on the back of the board? I would also be concerned with the burned connector to the left of the connector withe the blue wires. It looks burned. Replace the white connector - not original. Anything associated with J121 needs to be replaced - male and female.

Remove wrong pic

Bills phone 02_04_17 001 (resized).JPGBills phone 02_04_17 001 (resized).JPG

#1513 6 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

May be the beer - why the two diodes on the back of the board?

It is a trick to lift the +5V a bit in order to prevent resets. The execution however will not win a beauty contest.

#1514 6 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

IMG_4685 (resize

Looks like someone just got a new cordless powertool for his birthday and was desperate to try it......

#1515 6 years ago
    Quoted from MarAlb:

Looks like someone just got a new cordless powertool for his birthday and was desperate to try it......

mmmm-power-tools (resized).jpgmmmm-power-tools (resized).jpg
    #1516 6 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

May be the beer - why the two diodes on the back of the board? I would also be concerned with the burned connector to the left of the connector withe the blue wires. It looks burned. Replace the white connector - not original. Anything associated with J121 needs to be replaced - male and female.

The blue wires actually go to the back of J121, the other burnt connector was J120 in line with J121, both the GI. Those are the ones I planned to and replaced yesterday. It's the backside stuff I wasn't sure about.

The funny thing is, this hack to wire to the back of the board seems totally unnecessary. Why would soldering to the back be done rather than soldering to the pins (not that I'm recommending that, just wondering why one hack is better than the other). An even simpler hack would be to use a combination of the J120 and J121 headers that are the same. J120 was missing the left 2 pins, J121 the right 2 pins.

I decided the other pins were ok and just replaced the 2. The connectors are all trifurcon'd now. Here are the after pics.
    DSCN3815 (resized).JPGDSCN3815 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3817 (resized).JPGDSCN3817 (resized).JPG
    DSCN3818 (resized).JPGDSCN3818 (resized).JPG

#1517 6 years ago

Looks like j121 pin maybe cracked at the solder base.

#1518 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

The blue wires actually go to the back of J121, the other burnt connector was J120 in line with J121, both the GI. Those are the ones I planned to and replaced yesterday. It's the backside stuff I wasn't sure about.
    The funny thing is, this hack to wire to the back of the board seems totally unnecessary. Why would soldering to the back be done rather than soldering to the pins (not that I'm recommending that, just wondering why one hack is better than the other). An even simpler hack would be to use a combination of the J120 and J121 headers that are the same. J120 was missing the left 2 pins, J121 the right 2 pins.
    I decided the other pins were ok and just replaced the 2. The connectors are all trifurcon'd now. Here are the after pics.

After all that work why not just replace the whole 120 and 121 header. It still looks hacked up now.

#1519 6 years ago

Not a bad hack, heck, it was so neatly executed I don’t know if I’d even call it a hack. But alas there is no thread for well done creative repairs.

Anyway, I just want to send a thanks out into the universe to whomever did this one. It was very neat, got the job done with parts on hand, no boards were harmed and was very easy to undo.

16D1BFCD-82F3-4153-9B95-37963FD15258 (resized).jpeg16D1BFCD-82F3-4153-9B95-37963FD15258 (resized).jpeg

#1520 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

After all that work why not just replace the whole 120 and 121 header. It still looks hacked up now.

I thought about it, but did you see the rest of the board? Ha, seemed like the appropriate fix level. Function over form on this one. But like I said, I don't do much board work, I'll take it under advisement if that's best practice.

The other thing I was wondering about is the connector. Would IDC be frowned upon for GI? I kind of wish I had one, as crimping each pin was the only thing that made it "all that work", otherwise this would have been fast and easy. I also wondered if I should solder after crimping. This stripper supposedly crimps, but I found it way too fidily and found I could do a nicer job manually. Does this thing actually work for crimping? I need a proper crimper.

Irwin-Stripper (resized).jpgIrwin-Stripper (resized).jpg

#1521 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I thought about it, but did you see the rest of the board? Ha, seemed like the appropriate fix level. Function over form on this one. But like I said, I don't do much board work, I'll take it under advisement if that's best practice.
    The other thing I was wondering about is the connector. Would IDC be frowned upon for GI? I kind of wish I had one, as crimping each pin was the only thing that made it "all that work", otherwise this would have been fast and easy. I also wondered if I should solder after crimping. This stripper supposedly crimps, but I found it way too fidily and found I could do a nicer job manually. Does this thing actually work for crimping? I need a proper crimper.

Molex connector and proper crimping tool. One time purchase.

#1522 6 years ago

That's only in the morning, they should be up cooking breakfast.

#1523 6 years ago

Once you get a good crimper you will kick yourself for waiting so long.

#1525 6 years ago

This is what I use. Its what Bob Roberts used to sell before retirement:

https://vetco.net/products/molex-crimp-tool-for-062-093-100-156-pins?gclid=CjwKCAiAqIHTBRAVEiwA6TgJw8zeMDVeR7O72Zf4H830ttuBh4e5lYspvBlPLK5sakB65uXdcOXuHBoCzhAQAvD_BwE

Notice the shape of the crimper in the head. There is a saddle the connector back fits in and the press is curved such that the blades upon criming will fold over and push into the wire.

This is the cheapest tool I have found to reliably crimp molex pins. If I were doing thousands in a month/year I’d of course look at an official Molex crimper but those are pricey.

#1526 6 years ago

That's the one I got. Have literally done a thousand crimps. My crimps look better than factory.

#1527 6 years ago

I use an IWISS crimper. It does insulation and wire crimp at the same time, ratchets closed to hold the crimp and does a perfect job every time. Price is right too. GPE is thinking of carrying these. I bought one when he mentioned them. I hope he does start carrying them soon as I'd rather give him the sale.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4L8QMW

#1528 6 years ago

I may be in the minority here, but I hate crimped connection. I think it may be my years of working with RC airplanes before I got into pinball, where a crimped connections are not used at all due to reliability issues. To that end, if I do use a crimped connection, I always flow some solder into the joint after I crimp it.

#1529 6 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I may be in the minority here, but I hate crimped connection. I think it may be my years of working with RC airplanes before I got into pinball, where a crimped connections are not used at all due to reliability issues. To that end, if I do use a crimped connection, I always flow some solder into the joint after I crimp it.

Regular crimps suck. A proper molex crimp the wire will nearly break before the wire pulls from the pin.

#1530 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

I use an IWISS crimper. It does insulation and wire crimp at the same time, ratchets closed to hold the crimp and does a perfect job every time. Price is right too. GPE is thinking of carrying these. I bought one when he mentioned them. I hope he does start carrying them soon as I'd rather give him the sale.
    amazon.com link »

That one looks nice, I may switch to it for the bench.

#1531 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

amazon.com link »

Mine is very similar to this... Has a blue handle, but that may just be a design change over the years... The ratchet motion really helps with the smaller connectors - you can put it in, give it one or two ratchets and it'll help hold the connector steady while you get the wire in. I've used it for all the various Molex pinball sizes with no issue.

#1533 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

amazon.com link »

thats the one I use...its so easy and results are great

#1534 6 years ago

Doesn't ratchet and needs to be used twice for each crimp. The IWISS is cheaper

Quoted from statictrance:

Mine is very similar to this... Has a blue handle, but that may just be a design change over the years...

Mine came with a blue handle too

#1535 6 years ago

Doesn’t look to have the proper shaped crimp head to curl and press in one shot. I think that’s more of a general purpose crimper... it might work but won’t be as easy.

#1536 6 years ago

Guys, back to on topic please

#1537 6 years ago
    Quoted from mgpasman:

Guys, back to on topic please

I’ll second that. I keep checking back to find out if someone has tracked down the smoking hot blonde and.... nothing lol.

Seriously. I’m buying one of those crimpers. I knownit was all off topic but I was just thinking I needed a new one

#1538 6 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I’ll second that. I keep checking back to find out if someone has tracked down the smoking hot blonde and.... nothing lol.

I'm pretty sure if you read carefully, someone was commenting on those pictures in the first person.

#1539 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

amazon.com link »

Would these work for crimping 0.156” pins? Been looking for a set.

Thanks

#1540 6 years ago
    Quoted from pincity:

Would these work for crimping 0.156” pins? Been looking for a set.
    Thanks

They do for me

#1541 6 years ago

Another wpc gi hack. I fixed it for less than a dollar and 30 minutes. I don't get why people wreck good wiring harnesses for such an easy fix

20180121_143023 (resized).jpg20180121_143023 (resized).jpg

20180121_141807 (resized).jpg20180121_141807 (resized).jpg

#1542 6 years ago
    Quoted from Okarcades:

Another wpc gi hack. I fixed it for less than a dollar and 30 minutes. I don't get why people wreck good wiring harnesses for such an easy fix

Because for private owners, they don't have the parts, don't know HOW to get the parts, and are in a hurry so there's no time allotted to research how to get the parts, and think that since it works just fine that way, then the "repair" is fine.

For operators, they don't have the parts, don't have time to get the parts (because any downtime, they might as well pull the machine and part it out to help avoid downtime on other machines), and since it works just fine that way, then the "repair" is fine. My husband worked in an arcade (not as service), and saw that sort of thing happen all the time.

#1543 6 years ago
    Quoted from LynnInDenver:

Because for private owners, they don't have the parts, don't know HOW to get the parts, and are in a hurry so there's no time allotted to research how to get the parts, and think that since it works just fine that way, then the "repair" is fine.
    For operators, they don't have the parts, don't have time to get the parts (because any downtime, they might as well pull the machine and part it out to help avoid downtime on other machines), and since it works just fine that way, then the "repair" is fine. My husband worked in an arcade (not as service), and saw that sort of thing happen all the time.

For burnt connectors on location and no parts in your tool kit or trunk/truck load of parts; At the Bally service schools for their first Solid State machines (remember, this was a transition from EM to Solid State machine time period) they instructed you to cut wires from the burnt connectors on the Rectifier board and solder them directly to the test points. This was acceptable to keep the machines making money until you could come back with new connector shells and pins. More money allows the Operators to buy more new machines.

#1544 6 years ago

I bought a Paragon from Bally's Aladdin's Castle in December 1981. They had it torn down for transport when I got there. The manager and his boss both instructed me to solder the wires for GI and feature lamps directly to the test points when I set it up.

Aladdin's Castle was a great place to buy games - cosmetically they were usually in near-mint condition.

#1545 6 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Doesn’t look to have the proper shaped crimp head to curl and press in one shot. I think that’s more of a general purpose crimper... it might work but won’t be as easy.

This is the one I have. It was cheaper than a ratcheting pair.

It does give the nice "B" crimps but it is not as nice as a ratcheting set. It works well but you have to make sure you have squeezed hard enough.

#1546 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

amazon.com link »

I have this one as well. does a perfect job.

#1547 6 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

That's only in the morning, they should be up cooking breakfast.

We do it for decoration, thats it and thats all man we do it for decoration. Wooo woooooooooooo.

#1548 6 years ago
    Quoted from RoyGBev:

I bought a Paragon from Bally's Aladdin's Castle in December 1981. They had it torn down for transport when I got there. The manager and his boss both instructed me to solder the wires for GI and feature lamps directly to the test points when I set it up.
    Aladdin's Castle was a great place to buy games - cosmetically they were usually in near-mint condition.

+1 got to know tbe manager, assistant very well. Got some good games out of there.

#1549 6 years ago
    Quoted from darcangeloel:

We do it for decoration, thats it and thats all man we do it for decoration. Wooo woooooooooooo.

Pinballs need whistle tips...

#1550 6 years ago

Cv sound board, must have run out of he correct size fuses!

20F6A4E2-5FC4-4EB4-983D-7A0338D6BD23 (resized).jpeg20F6A4E2-5FC4-4EB4-983D-7A0338D6BD23 (resized).jpeg

There are 4,671 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/31?hl=lynnindenver and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.