(Topic ID: 28788)

Worst hack/repair you ever saw.

By mcclad

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17137452019287598807293974414584 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    There are 4,671 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 94.
    #1151 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

rubber baby buggy bumpers...

Is this enough to tag Last Action Hero?

#1152 6 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Found these being used , it worked just fine lol

And they're made of that new-fangled "Vinyl" stuff!

#1153 6 years ago

At least with most hacks I can tell what they were thinking...

IMG_20170619_202400.jpgIMG_20170619_202400.jpg

#1154 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

At least with most hacks I can tell what they were thinking..

Looks like they might have had a bad rollover switch and decided to omit it rather than fix it.

#1155 6 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Looks like they might have had a bad rollover switch and decided to omit it rather than fix it.

Bad... rollover? I'm not sure I understand what you mean

#1156 6 years ago

A bridge recifier to make flippers DC ?

#1157 6 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

A bridge recifier to make flippers DC ?

That'd be interesting... But, It's a solid state game, they're already dc. Hopefully. If not, I'm concerned.

#1158 6 years ago

What's more f'd up is it looks like they cut the corner off of another board to build the monstrosity.

#1159 6 years ago

Yeah I saw that. On phone just saw the(what looks like 4 doides) so therefore the guess.

Does it work better getting double rectifed?

#1160 6 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Yeah I saw that. On phone just saw the(what looks like 4 doides) so therefore the guess.
    Does it work better getting double rectifed?

Like using two filters when making a pot of coffee!

#1161 6 years ago

Well with the extra voltage drops I would expect the answer to be no. But I like to be silly!

#1162 6 years ago

Further observation: at first I assumed they'd moved the diodes off the coils for some reason, but then I noted that the coils still had diodes, so that couldn't be it. Then I noticed, these coils have *two* diodes on them. And they're not the right number per the parts manual, or like on my other Hot Tip. Should be a 20-300/28-400 DC, with one diode. These are 20-300/33-1500 DC. Marco shows these as having two diodes, but I can't see any reference to where these coils might be used. They seem to be the same strength, but with a weaker hold. Maybe these are parallel wound? Still doesn't explain the little diode board....

#1163 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Like using two filters when making a pot of coffee!

Or two condoms?

#1164 6 years ago

... or two mints in one!

certs (resized).jpgcerts (resized).jpg

#1165 6 years ago

Some noob owner before us decided to secure the flipper mechanism with a screw....from the top trough the playfield and damaged the mylar... (and yes the playfield will be cleaned very soon haha)

Idiot repare.. (resized).jpegIdiot repare.. (resized).jpeg

#1166 6 years ago
    Quoted from RobDutch:

Some noob owner before us decided to secure the flipper mechanism with a screw....from the top trough the playfield and damaged the mylar.

Just brutal!!

#1167 6 years ago

Yes it sucks, still trying to think of a way to 'repair' this or atleast cover it up..

#1168 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Or two condoms?

Why are your wearing any, let alone 2, condoms to make coffee?

#1169 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Further observation: at first I assumed they'd moved the diodes off the coils for some reason, but then I noted that the coils still had diodes, so that couldn't be it. Then I noticed, these coils have *two* diodes on them. And they're not the right number per the parts manual, or like on my other Hot Tip. Should be a 20-300/28-400 DC, with one diode. These are 20-300/33-1500 DC. Marco shows these as having two diodes, but I can't see any reference to where these coils might be used. They seem to be the same strength, but with a weaker hold. Maybe these are parallel wound? Still doesn't explain the little diode board....

I forget the coils in my ss hot tip. But all coils are original and have a diode on both windings. Aka two per flipper coil.

#1170 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fortytwo:

I forget the coils in my ss hot tip. But all coils are original and have a diode on both windings. Aka two per flipper coil.

Strange. My other SS hot tip definitely doesn't have two diodes per coil. Its coil numbers match the parts manual, which is the only place I've found the coil numbers listed on older Williams SS games

#1171 6 years ago

Could not stop laughing when this one came into the shop. When touch-up jobs go bad....

20170627_103758 (resized).jpg20170627_103758 (resized).jpg

#1172 6 years ago
    Quoted from JeffTaylor:

Could not stop laughing when this one came into the shop. When touch-up jobs go bad....

Oh, I thought that was the WCS Jenner LE.

#1173 6 years ago
    Quoted from JeffTaylor:

Awesome!

I'm not a fan of the face art and wanted to see what it could look like if some of the lines were removed. (just on the computer not on PF)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1174 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballdork:

Awesome!
    I'm not a fan of the face art and wanted to see what it could look like if some of the lines were removed. (just on the computer not on PF)

Nice....now she no longer looks like a 50-year old barfly with leathery skin from chain smoking.

#1175 6 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Nice....now she no longer looks like a 50-year old barfly with leathery skin from chain smoking.

Yeah, when I had my WCS, I always thought she looked like Dick Clark.

#1176 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballdork:

Way better without the lines...

#1177 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballdork:

Awesome!

Remove one more line and she won't have a huge gap between her teeth.

#1178 6 years ago

Yes, much better without the lines!
    Removing the vertical parallel lines under her wrist might remove the illusion of hairy man hands. Hey, this is a lot of fun BTW.

#1179 6 years ago

This was the playfield that was in my centaur when I bought it. I replaced it. Somebody tried repainting it and thought the playfield could use some red stars that weren't there originally.WP_20160727_17_50_33_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20160727_17_50_33_Pro (resized).jpg

#1180 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballdork:

Awesome!

Much much better!!! That broads face is the only thing that I have ever disliked about that machine. I have thought multiple times about printing a water slide with a wrinkle free face to put over hers on my machine.

#1181 6 years ago
    Quoted from JeffTaylor:

I like the pink dick(best mod ever)!

#1182 6 years ago
    Quoted from JeffTaylor:

Reminds me of this WCS I saw on eBay a long time ago...

spot the difference (resized).JPGspot the difference (resized).JPG

#1183 6 years ago

When I got my Getaway, the left outlane had a plastic bottle cap screwed into the playfield.

Plastic_Cap (resized).jpgPlastic_Cap (resized).jpg

#1184 6 years ago
    Quoted from BroMike:

When I got my Getaway, the left outlane had a plastic bottle cap screwed into the playfield.

Oh my God...what the hell purpose did that serve?

#1185 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Oh my God...what the hell purpose did that serve?

outlane save..

#1186 6 years ago

Well that's one way to do it...

#1187 6 years ago
    Quoted from BroMike:

This reminds me of what I found in my Street Fighter 2 when I first got it home...
    streetfightergolf (resized).jpgstreetfightergolf (resized).jpg

The upkicker was not working, so someone stuck this in there to stop to balls from going in.

#1188 6 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

The upkicker was not working, so someone stuck this in there to stop to balls from going in.

The KO hole is the pinnacle of that game.

#1189 6 years ago
    Quoted from BroMike:

Kickback not working I'm guessing?

#1190 6 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Kickback not working I'm guessing?

The right outlane had a rubber hair tie strung across it so I think the previous owner just had it rigged up so he wouldn't lose balls down either outlane. Definitely wasn't taken care of as it looked like it had never been cleaned, still had the original rubbers that were falling apart, and 10 year old batteries that caused really bad alkaline damage to the MPU board.

#1191 6 years ago

This reminds me of what I found in my Street Fighter 2 when I first got it home...

Yikes! How the heck is that flipper rubber still on the game? It's got more dimples than the golf ball!

faz

#1192 6 years ago

The golf ball and bottle cap photos just made my day!! Totally epic fail on the part of the previous owners.

#1193 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

Yikes! How the heck is that flipper rubber still on the game? It's got more dimples than the golf ball!
    faz

That SF2 was in horrible shape when I got it home. It's been my long term restoration project for over a year now.IMG_3196 (resized).JPGIMG_3196 (resized).JPG

#1194 6 years ago

That SF2 was in horrible shape when I got it home. It's been my long term restoration project for over a year now.

Yeah, but, WHY?

#1195 6 years ago
    Quoted from mgpasman:

Yeah, but, WHY?

I wanted to try some things I had never done before, like touching up and clearing a playfield, and repainting a cabinet with automotive paint. If I screwed it up, the world might be a better place. If I pull it off, I will have the most polished tur* in the world.

#1196 6 years ago

I wanted to try some things I had never done before, like touching up and clearing a playfield, and repainting a cabinet with automotive paint. If I screwed it up, the world might be a better place. If I pull it off, I will have the most polished tur* in the world.

SF2 kicks ass....dont listen to the haters, restore that classic!

#1197 6 years ago

That SF2 was in horrible shape when I got it home. It's been my long term restoration project for over a year now.

So it's on the back burner right now?

#1198 6 years ago

Actually yes, I have a Hurricane I am currently sorting out.

#1199 6 years ago

Have you thought of buying a PIN2DMD LED display kit for full color?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/make-street-fighter-ii-great-again

#1200 6 years ago

Someone thought this was a great idea? Cabinet Cooling MOD?

IMG_1359 (resized).jpgIMG_1359 (resized).jpg

There are 4,671 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.