(Topic ID: 28788)

Worst hack/repair you ever saw.

By mcclad

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17137452019287598807293974414584 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    There are 4,671 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 94.
    #951 7 years ago
    Quoted from aahgo:

Ghost Kitty?

Ha! I was gonna say it looks like a scene from Alien or something.

#952 7 years ago

Picked up a Viking on Sunday. Aside from fade and a few hacks it looks and plays nice.

Now the Hacks:
    So thisAttached to right flipperAttached to right flipper

leads to thisbottom of cabinet on left sidebottom of cabinet on left side

and ultimately connects to this2017-02-21 15.41.33 (resized).jpg2017-02-21 15.41.33 (resized).jpg

So when the middle saucer doesn't fire just hold down the right flipper and press the button to fire the solenoid.

At least it's better that the hellmageddon in the backbox2017-02-19 19.03.18 (resized).jpg2017-02-19 19.03.18 (resized).jpg2017-02-19 19.03.25 (resized).jpg2017-02-19 19.03.25 (resized).jpg

I spliced in a display harness from a playboy so that's all cleaned up, still have to tackle the playfield wiring in the back box.

#953 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

So when the middle saucer doesn't fire just hold down the right flipper and press the button to fire the solenoid.

Nice! I did a similar thing using the credit button a previous owner installed hooked up to the upkicker on my black hole so that I didn't have to keep opening the whole game up to get a ball out while I was stress testing + diagnosing why the upkicker transistor kept failing

#954 7 years ago

One of the worst hacks I've seen so far on my machines? was my own Bally -35 board! That was my first repair! I thought I knew how to repair! Nope!!! I thought I knew how to solder? NOPE!! I had jumpers all over the place!!!

Eventually ...I straightened it out the right way with a lot of help from a fellow pinsider. I had to start all over with it. Learned how not to do some things! Also learned how to repair traces the right way!!

Another....Is the High speed cabinet I have...I traded for the machine! Excited to get a pinball, I over looked way too many things! Learned a lesson on that one! The corner of the cabinet was sheet metal on the inside, I started digging at it to find out? The whole corner and part of the side was 3/4 or more thick of bondo! They wasted more money in bondo than if they would have actually repaired it right! Not to mention the time they took to make it smooth! It did look ok from the outside! I didn't even notice until..........I got it home!

1 week later
    #955 7 years ago

Actually found this in a thread here

35c22cde6852bc40d275a07478f152e703963acf (resized).jpg35c22cde6852bc40d275a07478f152e703963acf (resized).jpg

#956 7 years ago

My own hack. I was too lazy to completely replace the bottom of my cab that was busted. Could not run the shaker motor because it literally started to rip the particle board apart (serious water damage). Had to get the machine up and running for super bowl, so I simply put a piece of MDF under it and bolter the living cr@# out of it.
    Full replacement will follow though.
    WP_20170122_13_19_14_Rich (resized).jpgWP_20170122_13_19_14_Rich (resized).jpg
    WP_20170122_13_18_45_Rich (resized).jpgWP_20170122_13_18_45_Rich (resized).jpg

#957 7 years ago

The owner of this tommy cabinet at some point tried to replace the air grates on the back of the cab. I'm replacing the bottom of the cab as well, so it made getting to this area easier.

I think the repair is going well so far.

after (resized).jpgafter (resized).jpg

before (resized).jpgbefore (resized).jpg

#958 7 years ago

here is the magnet board I pulled out of a LAH that I picked up a few days ago...for some reason the magnets stay on all the time...

20170301_122722 (resized).jpg20170301_122722 (resized).jpg

20170301_122729 (resized).jpg20170301_122729 (resized).jpg

20170301_122412_001 (resized).jpg20170301_122412_001 (resized).jpg

#959 7 years ago

Quoted from cosmokramer:here is the magnet board I pulled out of a LAH that I picked up a few days ago...for some reason the magnets stay on all the time...

I have to agree that that one looks slightly different from stock

1 week later
    #960 7 years ago

They tacked other peices of scrap wood to keep the remaining bottom in. I replaced the entire bottom.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#961 7 years ago

Pinbot gutted...(say it in the pinbot voice )

#962 7 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

here is the magnet board I pulled out of a LAH that I picked up a few days ago...for some reason the magnets stay on all the time...

A lot of Last Action Heroes had their magnet assembly pulled
    from the game. It was badly programmed and never worked right.
    I think they fixed the algorithm on Guns & Roses.

#963 7 years ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

A lot of Last Action Heroes had their magnet assembly pulled
    from the game. It was badly programmed and never worked right.
    I think they fixed the algorithm on Guns & Roses.

Works perfectly fine on mine.

#964 7 years ago

No idea who did that to a Firepower, but amazingly this soldering art piece made by an evil genius works and kept the machine alive...

IMG_2230 (resized).JPGIMG_2230 (resized).JPG

IMG_2229 (resized).JPGIMG_2229 (resized).JPG

#965 7 years ago

5 glass caps, 1 radial , 1 resistor and a ratsnest of wire, it would be interesting to know there rhyme and reason behind it.

#966 7 years ago
    Quoted from ls1chris:

5 glass caps, 1 radial , 1 resistor and a ratsnest of wire, it would be interesting to know there rhyme and reason behind it.

I just don't get it. If your smart enough to make this jerry rig. You sure the hell should be smart enough to buy a new part!

#967 7 years ago
    Quoted from mayuh:

No idea who did that to a Firepower, but amazingly this soldering art piece made by an evil genius works and kept the machine alive...

You should frame that and hang it on the wall. It is ..ah....interesting.

#968 7 years ago

How is that not shorting out? WTF

#969 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I just don't get it. If your smart enough to make this jerry rig. You sure the hell should be smart enough to buy a new part!

It was probably on route and the tech used the parts that were available to get it back up and running, rather than waiting a couple weeks for a chip he didn't have.

Some clever hacks like this were born out of necessity in order to keep a game earning.

#970 7 years ago

It doesn't short, because the wires are coated with some red lacquer...

That thing survived 30 years, several shippings through Europe, last one from Hungary to Austria. Everything else failed in the meantime, but this one holds up... genius!

#971 7 years ago
    Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

Works perfectly fine on mine.

You probably have an upgraded ROM revision. Back in the day
    I had to fix Five LAH all had the magnet guts removed. The last
    one I worked on back in 2001 the guy wanted the magnets and
    board put back in. The magnet driver was no longer available
    and it was hard to find the right magnets/brackets at the time.
    Sega Godzilla stuff was somewhat available at the time. I do not
    know if the operator gave up on the idea or not.

#972 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Agreed!! Unavailability of the part could have been a factor in the shoddy work and you gotta keep the quarter rolling down those shutes lol

#973 7 years ago
    Quoted from mayuh:

I saw this last week at the Art Institute of Chicago ... that's Jackson Pollock's work... yes?
    faz

#974 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It was probably on route and the tech used the parts that were available to get it back up and running, rather than waiting a couple weeks for a chip he didn't have.
    Some clever hacks like this were born out of necessity in order to keep a game earning.

Agreed 100%. And I'm sitting here in the bathroom looking at my wife's shampoo bottle saying "I can make that into the subway I'm missing on my Stargate." Really I am.

IMG_3317 (resized).JPGIMG_3317 (resized).JPG

#975 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Agreed 100%. And I'm sitting here in the bathroom looking at my wife's shampoo bottle saying "I can make that into the subway I'm missing on my Stargate." Really I am.

It's the exact length. She's not going to be happy!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#976 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

She's not going to be happy!

She can wear a hat WHILE playing SG. Once she gets into Sandstorm... she won't care

#977 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I might try using sheet metal to bend something into a similar shape that was originally used. Maybe use one piece for the bottom and cut out some tabs, then use another piece for the wall, and bend & rivet the tabs (or weld them, if you have that available)

#978 7 years ago

Or there is a thing called a "golf tube liner" that goes inside a golf club bag $2

Fill them with sand so they don't kink, warm them up, and bend them to your will.

bag tubes main-500x500 (resized).jpgbag tubes main-500x500 (resized).jpg

#979 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I might try using sheet metal to bend something into a similar shape that was originally used. Maybe use one piece for the bottom and cut out some tabs, then use another piece for the wall, and bend & rivet the tabs (or weld them, if you have that available)

Too much work! But like the idea!

Quoted from vid1900:

Or there is a thing called a "golf tube liner" that goes inside a golf club bag $2
    Fill them with sand so they don't kink, warm them up, and bend them to your will.

Can I borrow $2. Another good Idea!

Seriously, I tried contacting Steve Young but you know how the "WHAT'S THE PART #" thing went. I just need to find the part number. I'm sure they have one.

#980 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Seriously, I tried contacting Steve Young but you know how the "WHAT'S THE PART #" thing went. I just need to find the part number. I'm sure they have one.

You did not say you needed part #'s

I'll look tonight.
    faz

#981 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well I happened to find a nice piece of sheet metal laying around. It's only temporary until I can find the right part or part number.

IMG_3325 (resized).JPGIMG_3325 (resized).JPG

#982 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Well I happened to find a nice piece of sheet metal laying around. It's only temporary until I can find the right part or part number.

Nice, now we need a your best hack thread. Then 20 yrs from now they'll end up back here.

#983 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Check your other thread... pics there.
    faz

#984 7 years ago

Here is some artistry from a MI pinsider..

IMG_20170316_204748431 (resized).jpgIMG_20170316_204748431 (resized).jpg

#985 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Seawitch screwed

#986 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Say it aint so...

#987 7 years ago

Spend about $2 and replace the pins and connector on my Diner GI circuit? Heck no, i got dees-nuts to connect the wires.

20161220_140824 (resized).jpg20161220_140824 (resized).jpg

20161220_140548 (resized).jpg20161220_140548 (resized).jpg

#988 7 years ago
    Quoted from bbriese:

Spend about $2 and replace the pins and connector on my Diner GI circuit? Heck no, i got dees-nuts to connect the wires.

The zip ties make it right.
    faz

#989 7 years ago
    Quoted from bbriese:

Quoted from pinball_faz:

The zip ties make it right.
    faz

Wow. Fixing it correctly takes LESS time than it took to make that mess.

#990 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Oh wow!! Brad nails would have sufficed for that, hell even thumb tacks lol

#991 7 years ago
    Quoted from bbriese:

I've been there.......... I was able to repair it correctly by rebuilding that area and replaced the Molex, but decided to keep it as a back up because I found a stellar deal on a Great Lakes unit.

IMG_20160326_190245 (resized).jpgIMG_20160326_190245 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20160326_143747 (resized).jpgIMG_20160326_143747 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20160326_143739 (resized).jpgIMG_20160326_143739 (resized).jpg

#992 7 years ago

GI repairs seem to be popular candidates. When Radical arrived at my house, half the GI on the machine didn't work. I winced when I opened the backbox and found this:

Couldn't see where the wires went to behind the board or how they'd jumpered some of the pins together:
    20170220_154728 (resized).jpg20170220_154728 (resized).jpg
    Flipping the board over:
    20170220_154805 (resized).jpg20170220_154805 (resized).jpg
    The weirdest thing about this was that they never connected pin 7 at all.

You can see the remnants of the awesome soldering in the background. I like it because it makes my soldering look less shit having that nearby.
    20170310_160903 (resized).jpg20170310_160903 (resized).jpg

#993 7 years ago

Looks like someone substituted a DIP chip for a failed SMD chip.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#994 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Now that is awesome; If it works, it the best repair yet.

#995 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

#996 7 years ago

Is that from a pinball?

#997 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pugsley:

Is that from a pinball?

It's a LOTR ring LED board. It lights up all the rings just in front of the flippers in the center of the playfield.

#998 7 years ago

Ok I can see it now. I saw all the LEDs but could not figure where it went.

#999 7 years ago

Hack! I've got one!

Whilst I'm here I'm needing to replace this hack.

I'm needing to replace the flipper assembly bracket for a Williams system 3-6 part #01-600, coil stop #A-8143 and the retaining bracket #01-8-508-3. Not fussed if the coil stop is used. I'd prefer to locate through one source rather than many.

I'm also looking for a complete knocker assembly, part #B-8047, from the same era. Picture below of which knocker assembly is needed.

Part numbers for the purests

Please pm me if you can assist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

IMG_0287 (resized).JPGIMG_0287 (resized).JPG

IMG_0288 (resized).JPGIMG_0288 (resized).JPG

IMG_0285 (resized).JPGIMG_0285 (resized).JPG

#1000 7 years ago

I just remembered another issue I had with my Pioneer and while probably not the worst hack, it was certainly dangerous.

At some stage while I was working on it, it was plugged in, but off at the cabinet switch (which in hindsight wasn't a grand idea, but we've probably all done it at some point). I bumped against the drop target reset coil. *Buzzt* It bit me with some 240v fun. Promptly unplugged it, reset the house breaker so the lights came back on and then went hunting with DMM to figure out what was wrong, testing everything I could find in the schematic around those drop target coils.
    power (resized).pngpower (resized).png
    So the culprit is in this picture, though I didn't know at the time I took it, so it's not the greatest shot.
    3429967801_20601f1276 Transformer and two coin counter relay_O (resized).jpg3429967801_20601f1276 Transformer and two coin counter relay_O (resized).jpg
    It all looks ok, doesn't it? That is until you remember that until sometime around 1980, AC wiring in Australia used red for active, black for neutral and green for earth. USA uses black for active, and there's a bunch of white and red wires on the neutral side of the transformer... I eventually tested everything in the schematic, including the pins on the end of the line cord. I found that the earth pin (green) was ok, but the neutral pin on the plug (black) went to the main fuse and the active pin (red) went to what's intended to be the neutral side of the transformer. As the cabinet switch is STSP, only the neutral pin of the plug was switched, leaving the rest of the 240v circuits' active connected and oh so much fun to touch.

Given the line cord was 30+ years old I replaced it entirely with something that has the current, colour blind friendly, standard Australian AC colours - brown for active, blue for neutral and green/yellow stripe for earth.20170327_094748 (resized).jpg20170327_094748 (resized).jpg

I can't say for sure when the plug was wired in reverse, but the main board says "Australia 18" on it so I assume it was manufactured for export to Australia and that it had always been that the neutral was switched. Certainly the old line cord looked original and it was probably a good idea to replace it anyway - the insulation inside the white outer was pretty degraded. 20170327_101502 (resized).jpg20170327_101502 (resized).jpg

There are 4,671 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/20?hl=zarklin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.