Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,669 posts
  • 733 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 33 minutes ago by MrBally
  • Topic is favorited by 314 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240321_180554 (resized).jpg
    68714440943__356B9A98-CA54-4C2A-A85D-8E5C24E9F1AA (resized).jpeg
    There are 4,669 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 94.
    #901 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Spotted this in a Williams Laserball for sale. Take a look at the power supply.

This repair is way more expensive than the actual fix!

#902 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

This repair is way more expensive than the actual fix!

That's what I was thinking.

#903 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

WHat? and have to remove the board to do the repair? F That!

That was a very common route repair to keep the games running. Yes, why bother taking the board out since the wires weren't long enough to work with on a removed board.

Heck, the instructors at the Williams service schools even suggested this since they knew no money in meant fewer machine sales.

#904 7 years ago

Man I wish I would have taken pic's of the Taxi pin I fixed about a year ago. Every (and I mean every) fuse was wrapped in tin foil.

#905 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Spotted this in a Williams Laserball for sale. Take a look at the power supply.

I actually went and saw this game, a Pinbot and a Big Guns the seller had. They all had this power supply "repair" done to them along with strange connectors and cut wires that were no longer needed. The pinbot had some silicon repairs made to broken plastics. They apparently were stored in moist conditions. Some battery acid damage too. They all seem to want to reset or not boot. I have too many projects to even consider them plus they are looking for top dollar so I walked.

#906 7 years ago

Not the worse hack compared to many in this thread, but it is a hack. this is a Stern Hot Hand I recently bought. Now I have to try and figure out where all these wires go.

Here is J-3

IMG_3025 (resized).JPGIMG_3025 (resized).JPG

And the rest.

IMG_3027 (resized).JPGIMG_3027 (resized).JPG

IMG_3028 (resized).JPGIMG_3028 (resized).JPG

IMG_3029 (resized).JPGIMG_3029 (resized).JPG

#907 7 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Not the worse hack compared to many in this thread, but it is a hack. this is a Stern Hot Hand I recently bought. Now I have to try and figure out where all these wires go.

Yikes. Too much mess there. You definitely got some work cut out for you. I would start out with a fresh rectifier board. I like the one GPE sells. Very solid. Good luck!

Verify the wiring in the games' schematic, but this should be pretty close.

Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

#908 7 years ago

I hate it when idiots solder wires directly on boards. A new connector and pins are really cheap.

#909 7 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

I hate it when idiots solder wires directly on boards. A new connector and pins are really cheap.

Don't be hatin'. That was a common practice for route operators. Even suggested by the Bally & Stern service schools as not every technician carried connectors, pins and the proper crimp tool in the late '70's to mid '80's....

#910 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Even suggested by the Bally & Stern service schools as not every technician carried connectors, pins and the proper crimp tool in the late '70's to mid '80's....

As I read this I'm trying to picture some poor tech in a dark arcade fixing the big money maker of the week as the owner/operator is breathing down his neck. I imagine it would be a lot quicker and easier to just solder to the board than trim/strip/crimp/plug all the wires.

#911 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Don't be hatin'. That was a common practice for route operators. Even suggested by the Bally & Stern service schools as not every technician carried connectors, pins and the proper crimp tool in the late '70's to mid '80's....

I have heard that. I also know in the late 70's during the golden years operators had to empty the coin boxes sometimes twice a day. Machine down was $$$ not collected. Still hate it when I have to deal with it though.

#912 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I imagine it would be a lot quicker and easier to just solder to the board than trim/strip/crimp/plug all the wires.

An experienced tech can crimp pins pretty quickly.

It's mainly about not having the right components on-hand.

#913 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

An experienced tech can crimp pins pretty quickly.
    It's mainly about not having the right components on-hand.

I know I can redo a connector with a whole lot less aggravation and quicker than soldering to the board. I think the only reasoning for that would be lack of supplies in the moment. If you need the game running and don't have connectors or pins you would do that to keep making coin.

#914 7 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

I have heard that. I also know in the late 70's during the golden years operators had to empty the coin boxes sometimes twice a day. Machine down was $$$ not collected. Still hate it when I have to deal with it though.

Ms Pac Man & Asteroids required twice a week collections. Thus, all games were collected on location. Earlier, for the original Space Invaders, we were modifying cabinets so we could put a larger cash box inside. The OEM ones filled up too fast.

#915 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Ms Pac Man & Asteroids required twice a week collections. Thus, all games were collected on location. Earlier, for the original Space Invaders, we were modifying cabinets so we could put a larger cash box inside. The OEM ones filled up too fast.

I'd love to see that problem today.

#916 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

That's why asteroids deluxe came out but they made it to hard. I could play asteroids for hours and they didn't like that. Deluxe came out and although very cool black light and graphics we would walk on by.

#917 7 years ago

I will give props for creativeness, attractiveness and functionality...but still a hack none-the-less.

I guess it steals the title of the "first pinball with a newton ball" away from ToM.

#918 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'd love to see that problem today.

Yeah, I have the only 2 pins on location in a city of 50,000 people, well maintained and in a popular microbrewery, and I figure I could go 3 or 4 months without emptying Theatre of Magic, and 8 months for whatever I put beside it.

#919 7 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

That's why asteroids deluxe came out but they made it to hard. I could play asteroids for hours and they didn't like that. Deluxe came out and although very cool black light and graphics we would walk on by.

Space Invaders Deluxe came out. (IIRC, first video you could enter your name on) but it was a dog compared to the original. Plus, as soon as kids figured out the high score name could be "FCUK YOU", we had to put electrical tape over the monitor as it was non-disableable.

#920 7 years ago

That's hilarious

And I'm sure the kids thought so too.

#921 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That's hilarious
    And I'm sure the kids thought so too.

Asteroids followed with initials. Kids were quite creative with three letter versions of their favorite words. Fuk etc.
    But the best was when either Exidy or Gremlin allowed a list of high score names on the monitor. They were writing stories at bowling alley arcades such as:
    Betty at the
    counter has a
    nice ass and
    will swallow
    your load

Sorry if I shocked and offended anyone.

#922 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Asteroids followed with initials. Kids were quite creative with three letter versions of their favorite words. Fuk etc.
    But the best was when either Exidy or Gremlin allowed a list of high score names on the monitor. They were writing stories at bowling alley arcades such as:
    Betty at the
    counter has a
    nice ass and
    will swallow
    your load
    Sorry if I shocked and offended anyone.

That might be a brilliant revenue generation strategy. If you screw up and score too high or too low, or if someone beats even one of your scores, your message is screwed up and you have to play until you refresh the entire top score board.

#923 7 years ago

This King of Diamonds uses real playing cards! Very authentic!

IMG_3623 (resized).JPGIMG_3623 (resized).JPG

IMG_3624 (resized).JPGIMG_3624 (resized).JPG

#924 7 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

This King of Diamonds uses real playing cards! Very authentic!

That's not a hack, it's a mod.

#925 7 years ago
    Quoted from smiley:

That's not a hack, it's a mod.

King of Diamonds mod...that's a winner. I like it. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#926 7 years ago

For some reason, I don't believe this is correct.

IMG_2485 (resized).JPGIMG_2485 (resized).JPG

#927 7 years ago

Not the worse hack I've seen..... Its working fairly well - the flipper feels fine. It's on Meteor. I'll have to see if the owner wants to get it fixed properly.

Bills phone 02_04_17 001 (resized).JPGBills phone 02_04_17 001 (resized).JPG

#928 7 years ago

Some of the worst hacks I've seen are on these classic Bally and Stern power supply boards. I found this one in my Nitro Ground Shaker. Hacked in 2 ways.

Hack #1: I sure hope this heat sink wil dispose of the extreme heat that bridge produces...

Hack #2: the wires that are supposed be on the connectors have been soldered directly onto the back of the board...

argh...

20170204_160331.jpg20170204_160331.jpg

1 week later
    #929 7 years ago

I love this topic. I was missing the plumb bob + wire from my Airborne, but my supplier only had the bob, so I went ahead and fabricated one myself from a cloth hanger.

20170211_150438 (resized).jpg20170211_150438 (resized).jpg

It is a temporary solution, but hey, so is life.

In the same machine, I also fabricated a new metal frame to hold the flasher behind the injector. If I ever need to rebuild the flippers, I am going to go ahead with Sega and WMS parts, thus creating a real Frankenpin.

#930 7 years ago

Looks factory to me.

1 week later
    #931 7 years ago

Acquired this sweet Student Prince today. Totally unexpected cabinet art. I'm amazed Williams went in this direction, considering the theme.IMG_20170220_102157368 (resized).jpgIMG_20170220_102157368 (resized).jpg

#932 7 years ago
    Quoted from songofsixpence:

Acquired this sweet Student Prince today. Totally unexpected cabinet art. I'm amazed Williams went in this direction, considering the theme.

I wonder if it sat in a school's art department or something...

#933 7 years ago

Williams system 3 - 7 diver board. Was in a working game I picked up. Yeah it still works.

IMG_3232 (resized).JPGIMG_3232 (resized).JPG

IMG_3233 (resized).JPGIMG_3233 (resized).JPG

#934 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Williams system 3 - 7 diver board. Was in a working game I picked up. Yeah it still works.

Eeep

#935 7 years ago

does that hot glue re-melt every time you play it for a while? LOL Cant believe its not oozing down the board yet.

#936 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Ok I am actually impressed

#937 7 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

does that hot glue re-melt every time you play it for a while? LOL Cant believe its not oozing down the board yet.

Looks like hot glue melts at 248'F. I'm not sure what temperature the resistors on the board get up to when something goes awry.

#938 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Looks like hot glue melts at 248'F. I'm not sure what temperature the resistors on the board get up to when something goes awry.

Good point. Guess I should have researched the melting point, but it was a fun thought.

#939 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That is for low-temp hot glue used more for sensitive fabrics and fragile crafts. I only use the hi-temp stuff and it melts around 400 deg. F

#940 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Looks like it could be High Temp silicone to me similar to link below. That would seal the board after a last ditch repair effort. I have used it in engine bay applications. Says its good to 650 degrees. Apparently its doing its job!

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81160-High-Temp-Silicone-Gasket/dp/B0002UEN1A

#941 7 years ago
    Quoted from Fourbyracer:

Looks like it could be High Temp silicone to me similar to link below. That would seal the board after a last ditch repair effort. I have used it in engine bay applications. Says its good to 650 degrees. Apparently its doing its job!
    amazon.com link »

What is it's job? I love this thread, but sometimes it is hard to follow along or know exactly what I am looking at because I am not as savvy as a lot of members here, especially with board repair. What is the actual function of this hot glue and why was it used? I am so curious.

#942 7 years ago

The glue is basically holding the repair together. There is probably severe damage to the PCB traces underneath, if not the actual PCB itself. The green wires are replacement for damaged or missing traces and the hot glue ties it all together.

#943 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

That's no hot glue, that's silicone rubber sealant. I see it on boards all the time and it's totally pointless unless you plan on having it in a damp location lol. Most people put it all over and around electrolytic caps.

#944 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

What is it's job? I love this thread, but sometimes it is hard to follow along or know exactly what I am looking at because I am not as savvy as a lot of members here, especially with board repair. What is the actual function of this hot glue and why was it used? I am so curious.

Ok, here it is. It's silicone not hot glue. From what I can see the board fried and burnt a hole about 1-1/2 inch by 2-1/2. All the electronic components include the traces are just free-hanging and held together by the silicone. Going to get a backlight picture in a minute.

IMG_3252 (resized).JPGIMG_3252 (resized).JPG

#945 7 years ago

ball through opto board and reciever on sttng,
    reciever working good , one bad opto so double ball launch
    a little reflow fixed it but i'm ordering a new one annyhow.

P_20170219_141903 (resized).jpgP_20170219_141903 (resized).jpg

P_20170219_141854 (resized).jpgP_20170219_141854 (resized).jpg

#946 7 years ago

And from the backside. You can see right through it.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#947 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Ok, here it is. It's silicone not hot glue. From what I can see the board fried and burnt a hole about 1-1/2 inch by 2-1/2. All the electronic components include the traces are just free-hanging and held together by the silicone.

Whoa, that is quite the hack!!! A for effort

#948 7 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Whoa, that is quite the hack!!! A for effort

I've got a similar thing on my Black Knight, but with black silicone so I'm not actually sure how big the hole is... Was a lot of fun replacing a bad transistor suspended in the middle

#949 7 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Black Knight, but with black silicone

Guess that was appropriate for the game?

#950 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

And from the backside. You can see right through it.

Ghost Kitty?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

There are 4,669 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/19?hl=niterider and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.