(Topic ID: 28788)

Worst hack/repair you ever saw.

By mcclad

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17137452019287598807293974414584 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    There are 4,671 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 94.
    #551 8 years ago

Flippers sticking?
    Grease 'em!
    Still sticking?
    Put in giant return springs connected to huge screws stuck into the playfield!
    20151018_185733.jpg20151018_185733.jpg

#552 8 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Flippers sticking?
    Grease 'em!
    Still sticking?

That may be the winner of the whole thread.

#553 8 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I was wondering how to fix sticky flippers!

#554 8 years ago

Look at the size of those screws! How are they not sticking out of the top of the playfield?!

And what game is that, I don't recognize the flipper/insert layout.

#555 8 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

How are they not sticking out of the top of the playfield?!
    And what game is that, I don't recognize the flipper/insert layout.

One screw did come through the top of the playfield. D'oH!
    Fortunately it is just next to the apron and the small hole won't be very noticeable when I pull the screw back out.
    It's Zac Time Machine.
    This is one of the ones CFH is selling "as-is". Looks pretty good (other than this) and I now have it booting up and playing.

#556 8 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Flippers sticking?
    Grease 'em!
    Still sticking?
    20151018_185733.jpg

Those screws also serve as a prop rod AND the playfield supports for service. Clever actually

#557 8 years ago

If your not sure what lettering is missing just use dots, i have to give the person credit for protecting the touchup with mylar so it would last forever, good thing is it was done with a paint pen so it wiped right off with some alcohol.20150831_184251.jpg20150831_184251.jpg

#558 8 years ago

Old school eprom adapter
    20151021_212424.jpg20151021_212424.jpg
    20151021_212500.jpg20151021_212500.jpg

#559 8 years ago
    Quoted from crlush:

If your not sure what lettering is missing just use dots

that must be the braile version

#560 8 years ago

Why replace this connector on the power supply when you can just use a zip tie?

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg

#561 8 years ago

Pretty convinced the prior owner used a flamethrower to fix this

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg

#562 8 years ago
    Quoted from jboner1058:

Looks "factory" to me

faz

#563 8 years ago

I've seen a few small hacks in my pickups, which are fun to troubleshoot and satisfying to properly fix. But goddamn, I can't believe some of the stuff I've seen here!

#564 8 years ago
    Quoted from jboner1058:

Pretty convinced the prior owner used a flamethrower to fix this

image.jpeg image_1.jpeg

What? Hot melt glue isn't the best way to hold heat sinks to the MB?

#565 8 years ago

One of my multi game buys had a EM in the group . One of the fuses had been replaced with a cut nail ( like you use to nail into a concrete block ) . Shane

#566 8 years ago

Thought my upper right flipper has been a little weak as it 'barely' makes the ramp.

DSC_0069.JPGDSC_0069.JPG

Weird, shouldn't the flipper coil be sideways? NOPE easier fix than just rotating the coil to the side...

DSC_0070.JPGDSC_0070.JPG

P.S. Yes i know i am also missing the capacitor.

#567 8 years ago
    Quoted from jboner1058:

image.jpeg image_1.jpeg

My ps connectors have zip ties instead of key pins

1 week later
    #568 8 years ago

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm.....

2015-10-29 21.50.25.jpg2015-10-29 21.50.25.jpg

1 week later
    #569 8 years ago

Crispy connectors? Who needs em?

Snapchat-3496323937941777931.jpgSnapchat-3496323937941777931.jpg

3 weeks later
    #570 8 years ago

Working on a TFTC for someone and came across this 'transistor bridge'. Surprisingly it works.

20151209_183258.jpg20151209_183258.jpg20151209_183400.jpg20151209_183400.jpg20151209_183542.jpg20151209_183542.jpg

#571 8 years ago

wow...

Just....wow

#572 8 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Working on a TFTC for someone and came across this 'transistor bridge'. Surprisingly it works.

Given the amount of damage to the board, that may have been the only solution just shy of replacing the whole board. Looks like the transistor array may have gone up in a big ball of fire, and took out pretty much everything on the top side around them, including the traces.

#573 8 years ago

I agree...that board had seen better days.

#574 8 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

This reminds me of a buddy that bought a 100 year old house. Slowly he gut the whole place and made it beautiful...but he tore every room, every wall out and rebuilt it.

I said, "So, you bought a 100 year old front door knob....and you're building a new house around it".

He replied, "We already replaced the door knob".

I'm thinking the zip tie is "original" and worth saving the rest
    faz

#575 8 years ago

Not the worst hack I have seen, but if you are going to redo the GI connectors please do it right!

wpcgi.jpgwpcgi.jpg

#576 8 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Working on a TFTC for someone and came across this 'transistor bridge'. Surprisingly it works

That is pretty unreal. Def the most involved hack i've ever seen.

Begs the question though, this seems like with the time invested and chance for failure why they didn't just buy a new board? This looks like it would have been a lot of work matching up which traces where etc... jeez. Good macgyver though, real good.

#577 8 years ago

Well, on my Grand Lizard both droptarget retrievers (the big plate that pushes the droptargets up again) had both broken sometime in the past, and then been fixed by 4 danish coins working as a "support" for the plate..

I didnt take pictures, but i found it kinda funny.

#578 8 years ago

No pictures.. but the day before I picked up my Williams IJ, the seller had his 'pinball guy' come and do a flipper rebuild. When the guy put the flipper / solenoid bracket back beneath the playfield, he used two wood screws that were too long. He punctured the playfield in one place (beneath the flippers, fortunately) and pushed up part of the playfield in another.

Two, tiny - screw-head sized blemishes on a 20 year old game that was otherwise flawless. All because this idiot ostensibly got in a hurry and used the wrong length self-tapping screws. The bump went down and the tiny hole no one even notices (except me). I curse this entire lineage every time I think about it.

On the plus side, $3k Williams IJ -- but still.

#579 8 years ago
    Quoted from visi0n:

No pictures.. but the day before I picked up my Williams IJ, the seller had his 'pinball guy' come and do a flipper rebuild. When the guy put the flipper / solenoid bracket back beneath the playfield, he used two wood screws that were too long. He punctured the playfield in one place (beneath the flippers, fortunately) and pushed up part of the playfield in another.
    Two, tiny - screw-head sized blemishes on a 20 year old game that was otherwise flawless. All because this idiot ostensibly got in a hurry and used the wrong length self-tapping screws. The bump went down and the tiny hole no one even notices (except me). I curse this entire lineage every time I think about it.
    On the plus side, $3k Williams IJ -- but still.

Ugh, that's hearbreaking. What an idiot.

#581 8 years ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Man print out a cheap paper mailing label with a low res internet pic of that part for Pete's sake!

#582 8 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
    Man print out a cheap paper mailing label with a low res internet pic of that part for Pete's sake!

I probably spent an hour trying to compose a caption for that picture. In the end, what can you really say? Sure it's a player's game with playfield wear, and a flaky backglass... But this plastic is just unbearable!

#583 8 years ago

love this thread

#584 8 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Quoted from boris_37:

That is pretty unreal. Def the most involved hack i've ever seen.
    Begs the question though, this seems like with the time invested and chance for failure why they didn't just buy a new board? This looks like it would have been a lot of work matching up which traces where etc... jeez. Good macgyver though, real good.

My favorite part is the pass-through for the wires.

#585 8 years ago

Fuse(s) found on a Stern/LAI Cosmic Princess. Both look okay! I won't be re-using them though

Hacks_DSCF1346_2.jpgHacks_DSCF1346_2.jpg

Hacks_DSCF1346_3.jpgHacks_DSCF1346_3.jpg

Hacks_DSCF1346.jpgHacks_DSCF1346.jpg

#586 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ralph67:

Fuse(s) found on a Stern/LAI Cosmic Princess. Both look okay! I won't be re-using them though

I'm assuming they are to 10A fuses for that 20A clip. But, does that work? Feels like 10+10 != 20.

faz

#587 8 years ago
    Quoted from songofsixpence:

I probably spent an hour trying to compose a caption for that picture. In the end, what can you really say? Sure it's a player's game with playfield wear, and a flaky backglass... But this plastic is just unbearable!

Maybe it was a father and son restore/project.

#588 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

Feels like 10+10 != 20.

It's not. Fuses do not act like caps in parallel. They do not add up 1

#589 8 years ago

But they do add up. ~15% less.

#590 8 years ago

I feel like we have done this whole coupling fuses debate before.

#591 8 years ago

Imagine if you will,, Sign post up ahead.

#592 8 years ago

Just bought a Kiss on eBay and yes I did see the photos beforehand but gotta be the worse hack I've seen in 20 years. 3 failed bridges run in power flex (looks like spaghetti).2 screwed to yInside top of backbox, the other fixed to a heat sink and just dangling free. Also had a car starter solenoid in place of a knocker???????? Amazingly the machine works fully (well after I cut the connections to the "knocker substitute"image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#593 8 years ago

Wow, what a mess!

#594 8 years ago

Other than to use the head as a test bed, why in the world would one move it up there? */facepalm*

#595 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ralph67:

Hacks_DSCF1346_2.jpg Hacks_DSCF1346_3.jpg Hacks_DSCF1346.jpg

So fused fuses make a fuse? How confusing!

#596 8 years ago

On the left is a normal Bally outhole kicker arm, on the right is the one I found in my Centaur. Why someone thought it would be a good idea to bend it down and then grind off the end, leaving sharp metal edges to pound into the balls, I can't imagine.

100_6925.jpg100_6925.jpg

#597 8 years ago

My guess it broke off and then just pounded down.

Kind of like the plunger rods at an arcade in Nashua that were so bad you could not remove them from the assembly due to the mushroom.

#598 8 years ago

I agree, it probably broke off, then didn't hit the ball in the middle which resulted in a weaker kick. So they bent it down to hit the ball squarely.

4 weeks later
    #599 8 years ago

I hate finding these household wiring nuts in pinball machines ....... from my most recent purchase , Space Station

20160117_091009[1]_(resized).jpg20160117_091009[1]_(resized).jpg

20160111_203726[1]_(resized).jpg20160111_203726[1]_(resized).jpg

#600 8 years ago
    Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

I hate finding these household wiring nuts in pinball machines ....... from my most recent purchase , Space Station

20160117_091009[1]_(resized).jpg20160111_203726[1]_(resized).jpg

It's a good temporary fix if a game is on location, but when it comes back into the shop, it's rewarding to undo all that mess and either solder and heat shrink or replace the connectors entirely if needed. There are some cases where so much of the harness has been lost to servicing over the years a few extra inches of wire need to be spliced in though.

There are 4,671 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.