Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,665 posts
  • 733 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by mojonitro
  • Topic is favorited by 313 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240321_180554 (resized).jpg
    68714440943__356B9A98-CA54-4C2A-A85D-8E5C24E9F1AA (resized).jpeg
    68714440123__30A6C9F0-7A87-4D13-882F-CC6C530664AA (resized).jpeg
    362393458_1478280539605169_7357000172916421133_n (resized).jpg
    There are 4,665 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 94.
    #451 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

This one just popped up on ebay.
    $_57.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Sweet, I can plug my microphone into that power supply. Must be from a Bally Kiss, Rolling Stones, or Nugent

#452 8 years ago

Depending on how low that ebay goes, might be worth it for the transformer, it is only used on a few games.

#453 8 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Depending on how low that ebay goes, might be worth it for the transformer, it is only used on a few games.

Already gone. Looks like it went for $39; free shipping. If it works, somebody made out on it.

I'm surprised pinwiki doesn't have a list of which games use which transformers.

[edit]: I went ahead and added about 2/3 of the transformer numbers to the list of Bally pins.

#454 8 years ago

Williams Soccer.

IMG_0070.jpgIMG_0070.jpg

Half of the score reel coils were smoked, as was the score motor. I'm sure I'll find more.

#455 8 years ago
    Quoted from balzofsteel:

Half of the score reel coils were smoked, as was the score motor. I'm sure I'll find more.

But at least the screw fuses survived

#456 8 years ago

I get it. Bells are loud and annoying so they get disconnected.

wthbell.jpgwthbell.jpg

Now for the part I don't get - that is a plug there at the coil an inch from where the wire was cut.

#457 8 years ago
    Quoted from balzofsteel:

I get it. Bells are loud and annoying so they get disconnected.
    wthbell.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
    Now for the part I don't get - that is a plug there at the coil an inch from where the wire was cut.

That's Great

Not the first time I've seen it...picked up a machine from a guy once...well, all the em guts. either cab was trashed or (dare I say it) virtualized....
    Anyway, he took liberty of taking apart before I got there, and cut off every jones plug to head like an inch or two from connectors. even said he thought it was weird they didn't have connectors!

#458 8 years ago

I had a coin door that was transplanted into a Captain Fantastic from another similar game. Someone cut all the wires about 2 inches from the connector plug, just like the bell coil in the picture above.
    Perhaps they didnt know it was a plug but dang it was a pain to repair.

#459 8 years ago
    Quoted from balzofsteel:

Williams Soccer.
    IMG_0070.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Williams Smoker HFE (House Fire Edition).

#460 8 years ago

Looks like someone is flipping that transformer. It's now listed for $130 on ebay by somebody else.

$_57.JPG$_57.JPG

#461 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Looks like someone is flipping that transformer. It's now listed for $130 on ebay by somebody else.
    $_57.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

300px-AutoBerserk_OptimusPrime_closedeyes.jpg300px-AutoBerserk_OptimusPrime_closedeyes.jpg

#462 8 years ago

Love this thread , Here one for you SDU out of a Stern Catacomb, Oh the horror!005.JPG005.JPG004.JPG004.JPGCatacomb Res 011.JPGCatacomb Res 011.JPG

#463 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ralph67:

Love this thread , Here one for you SDU out of a Stern Catacomb, Oh the horror!005.JPG (Click image to enlarge)004.JPG (Click image to enlarge)Catacomb Res 011.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Just make your own caps to suit haha

#464 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ralph67:

Love this thread , Here one for you SDU out of a Stern Catacomb, Oh the horror!

image.gifimage.gif

#465 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ralph67:

Love this thread , Here one for you SDU out of a Stern Catacomb, Oh the horror!005.JPG (Click image to enlarge)004.JPG (Click image to enlarge)Catacomb Res 011.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Why not just drill holes in the PCB if you're gonna run caps in parallel in this case? This is hideous. Nothing wrong with running parallel caps. I prefer it when I build PSUs for my analog synth gear, and DE's PSUs do it in case of failure. It works out being cheaper too.

3 weeks later
    #466 8 years ago

Not the worst by any means, but deserves a spot on here

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #467 8 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

Not the worst by any means, but deserves a spot on here

And then they reinstall the board in the game, shorting the transistor tab to the back plane, thus undoing everything they put so much effort into fixing.

#468 8 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

And then they reinstall the board in the game, shorting the transistor tab to the back plane, thus undoing everything they put so much effort into fixing.

They could have at least squirted hot glue all over it for insulation.

#469 8 years ago

Here's a good one... Are the rubbers on your flippers perished and falling off? No problem here just super glue them back on! Found this in my newly bought STTNG machine, not to mention they greased the posts too

20150615_125848.jpg20150615_125848.jpg
    2 weeks later
    #470 8 years ago

Ugh!!!

IMG_6789.JPGIMG_6789.JPG

#471 8 years ago

Dear God why? He doubled/tripled the workload? Not to mention the direct pin solder method... Wow.

1 week later
    #473 8 years ago

Hot glue to the rescue (Williams DMD board on ebay)

_12.jpg_12.jpg

1 week later
    #474 8 years ago

Couple of hacks on a recent Centaur I picked up. First, what do you do when you've broken a plastic? Why, you carve a new one by hand and color it in with a black Sharpie marker, of course. I'm replacing all the plastics but if anyone's got a couple of extra bell spacers they can part with, please met me know, as you can see I need them.

Second, here's an "extra" bridge rectifier on the power board. I can only assume the original one went south and the op was too lazy to remove the board to replace it, but this gives me shivers.....I'm actually afraid to power the game on.

100_6652.jpg100_6652.jpg

100_6562.jpg100_6562.jpg

#475 8 years ago

I had that same rectifier repair on a Xenon I bought. In mine the old one had been removed. I rebuilt the board and put the rectifier back in place but there is nothing wrong with that type of repair. If the rectifier was gooped and secured down properly it would outlast the original. Are you sure the original is still there?

#476 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Hot glue to the rescue (Williams DMD board on ebay)

_12.jpg

The hot glue securing the jumper wire is actually a factory approved repair/modification method.

#477 8 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Couple of hacks on a recent Centaur I picked up. First, what do you do when you've broken a plastic? Why, you carve a new one by hand and color it in with a black Sharpie marker, of course. I'm replacing all the plastics but if anyone's got a couple of extra bell spacers they can part with, please met me know, as you can see I need them.
    Second, here's an "extra" bridge rectifier on the power board. I can only assume the original one went south and the op was too lazy to remove the board to replace it, but this gives me shivers.....I'm actually afraid to power the game on.

100_6652.jpg 100_6562.jpg

I don't see a screw securing the original bridge and am guessing it was removed. They usually fail in a "shorted" mode so if not removed, the new one wouldn't work as the input voltage fuse would blow upon power-up. Note that for bridge rectifiers that would short prematurely ( more current was drawn that originally engineered due to connector fatigue, low line voltage etc.) a factory recommended modification was to do exactly what you see here. A higher current-rated Bridge was used and remote mounted to improve ventilation and, since larger, would not fit where the original one was installed. I would not call this a hack.

As for the plastics, if they were unobtainium or required purchase of a complete set, an operator would do what is necessary to keep the coins coming in.

#478 8 years ago

Extract from my Big Game.
    Take a look to the power supply : Fuses

P1010366.JPGP1010366.JPG
    P1010325.JPGP1010325.JPG
    P1010324.JPGP1010324.JPG

#479 8 years ago
    Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I had that same rectifier repair on a Xenon I bought. In mine the old one had been removed. I rebuilt the board and put the rectifier back in place but there is nothing wrong with that type of repair. If the rectifier was gooped and secured down properly it would outlast the original. Are you sure the original is still there?

Checked it out, and the original rectifier was indeed removed. Still looks kinda scary though.

#481 8 years ago
    Quoted from lb45:

P1010324.JPG

That is horrible , nice job on the EOS not!
    And i bet the board pins were still cracked etc even after all the Dodgy work ...

#482 8 years ago

Williams system 11 style board.

DSC00630.jpgDSC00630.jpg

#483 8 years ago

Here is a level 7 board not a hack, but don't forget which rom went where..!!

DSC00634.jpgDSC00634.jpg

#484 8 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Williams system 11 style board.

Yuck!!

#485 8 years ago

Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!

#486 8 years ago

I took the playfield out on my Seven Up and right off the bat I see these and that's just the beginning......

IMG_20150730_214057567.jpgIMG_20150730_214057567.jpg

IMG_20150730_214110242.jpgIMG_20150730_214110242.jpg

#487 8 years ago

Stern mpu-200

It wasn't rotten until he started working on it.

IMG_0192.jpgIMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0193.jpgIMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0195.jpgIMG_0195.jpg

I got some of that Doodle-a-Circuit type stuff when Radio Shack closed. I might play with it some on this poor thing. Maybe end up being another craziest hack repair someone's ever seen off in the future somewhere.

#488 8 years ago

This was on my $50 Globetrotter pin. Picked it up at a yard sale.

DSC_1312.jpgDSC_1312.jpg

#489 8 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

DSC_1312.jpg

That green wire usually goes to one of the resistors... or a test point. I forget which.

#490 8 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

Wish we had yard sales like that here

#491 8 years ago

I got really lucky w/ this one. Only took a few hours to make some minor repairs. Machine works 100% now.

1 week later
    #492 8 years ago

Some pix of that board with the junk stripped off.

X-ray view.

IMG_0209.jpgIMG_0209.jpg

No plated holes left at U14, a couple left at U19.

IMG_0217.jpgIMG_0217.jpg

Kind of messy around U15 and U16.

IMG_0208.jpgIMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0213.jpgIMG_0213.jpg

More traces and plated holes missing.

FrankenStern has a twin.

IMG_0211.jpgIMG_0211.jpg

Doodle-a-Circuit pen says the stuff can be soldered - quickly at low temp.

Low temp solder ordered.

labrat.jpglabrat.jpg

#493 8 years ago
    Quoted from reynolds531:

Mr. Vid, sir: How many times did I look through your tutorials? Countless. I will assume that there is no sarcasm in your comment. Is this better/bigger?

six.jpg

It looks like someone really "liked" liked that board.

#494 8 years ago
    Quoted from balzofsteel:

Some pix of that board with the junk stripped off.
    X-ray view.
    IMG_0209.jpg
    No plated holes left at U14, a couple left at U19.
    IMG_0217.jpg
    Kind of messy around U15 and U16.
    IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    More traces and plated holes missing.
    FrankenStern has a twin.
    IMG_0211.jpg
    Doodle-a-Circuit pen says the stuff can be soldered - quickly at low temp.
    Low temp solder ordered.
    labrat.jpg

I have tried that circuit writer pen on a board before and had absolutely no luck. I hope that it works better for you. I do know there is a video on YouTube about putting in new eyelets. you could order a bunch and do that if the circuit writer doesn't do it

#495 8 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I have tried that circuit writer pen on a board before and had absolutely no luck. I hope that it works better for you. I do know there is a video on YouTube about putting in new eyelets. you could order a bunch and do that if the circuit writer doesn't do it

Didn't find the video but did find itty bitty eyelets. (interesting... it wants to spellcheck itty but not bitty) I could see places where some of those might come in handy.

#497 8 years ago

Saw this on FB today, and thought of this thread

hack.jpghack.jpg

2 weeks later
    #498 8 years ago

On a WMS Gulfstream I was restoring. Welded or sodered EOS flipper switches. I certainly hope it was not welded, that would be way too much effort.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#499 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

I certainly hope it was not welded

Silver solder. That is what you did when the end wore or broke off and you didn't have a new one with. Ain't pretty, but it works.

LTG : )™

#500 8 years ago

Found this while inspecting a machine I bought. This was a bread wrapper tie (metal twist tie?) The power switch was bad, so they just shorted the contacts together. Glad I didn't power it up and blindly reach in!Bread bag tie.jpgBread bag tie.jpg

There are 4,665 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.