(Topic ID: 5042)

Worst game ever ratings oddity

By pinballslave

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

I decided to rate all the games I’ve played and think I know well... after starting at the top of my own personal favourites, I decided to plunge to the bottom, where lies the dreaded Dr Who

Sorry if this grates with fans of this game, but I truly dislike this game in every aspect... I gave one a good session in my home once, but it drove me nuts... the artwork, the sounds, the gameplay, the dots... I had to get it out for my own sanity! So I honestly rated it as terrible in every aspect... funnily enough, however, the ratings system still awarded it a 2.5 out of 10...

I don’t mind, but I was just a bit surprised that it got anything... and the overall rating didn't actually reflect my feelings towards this game...

In a way it’s nice to know that even when a game gets such a bad rating, Pinside still gives it 25%

I suppose it does have a board set and playfield hardware that could help fix other games, which is where, I guess, that comes from... or is there another reason?

Again, apologies to fans of this game... I know you're out there!

#2 12 years ago

You're not alone, I hate it too.

#3 12 years ago

you can always go back and change them,
    not like they are set in stone

#4 12 years ago

I owned it. I loved the artwork. I loved the flow for spelling who. Hell I loved the topper and hearing the daleks. I enjoyed the video mode set on hard although I wish it could have been harder still. I liked picking out the different doctors for strategy.

Still, it got no play in my place. My other half did not like that there were no tough shots. She also didn't like the lack of modes or progression.

I would buy another if it were cheap as trade bait but I do not want it as a keeper unless I had a bigger collection.

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

you can always go back and change them,
    not like they are set in stone

But I selected 'terrible' for every aspect... if I go back and change them, I can only make things better

The point is that with all aspects at terrible, the game still gets 2.5/10... just seemed odd... I notice when all aspects are set to 'Excellent', the game gets a 10 rating (as you'd expect), so I'd have thought with all at 'Terrible' the game would then get zero...

#6 12 years ago

Probably because DW is too dang good to warrant a zero!

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Probably because DW is too dang good to warrant a zero!

Ha ha ha

#8 12 years ago

DW hater..

#9 12 years ago

I personally really like DW. Anyone that hates it that owns one just let me know would love to take it off your hands!!

#10 12 years ago

I kind of feel bad about hating it... but we can't help what we hate... or love... I do love LOTS of other games to make up for it though

Dude: My DW got taken off my hands very shortly after it being in my hands... and my sanity almost instanty returned to normal afterwards!

#11 12 years ago

I owned Stern Indy and honestly I never liked it! got it on a good opportunity, but I never really got into it. Feel bad about not giving a review, cause I will probably give it a 4 or 5.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

So I honestly rated it as terrible in every aspect... funnily enough, however, the ratings system still awarded it a 2.5 out of 10...

Well noticed, it surprises me nobody ever discovered this before, although I might have missed it...

The reason Robin and I once decided (come to think of it, I think it was Robin's idea) to grant every pinball machine at least 2.5 points when we created the ratings system is that we felt the site should reflect a positive attitude towards pinball, so every pinball machine should at a minimum deserve a 2.5 for the trouble of designing and creating it. Note that it's mainly a cosmetic matter however, as it doesn't influence any machine's ratings in respect to each other. It merely results in the ratings of all machines being a bit higher then would have been the case with a lowest possible score of 1 or 0.

#13 12 years ago

everyone can have their own opinions, that is what makes it so interesting

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from Martijn:

The reason Robin and I once decided (come to think of it, I think it was Robin's idea) to grant every pinball machine at least 2.5 points when we created the ratings system is that we felt the site should reflect a positive attitude towards pinball, so every pinball machine should at a minimum deserve a 2.5 for the trouble of designing and creating it.

Interesting, but I agree. It would just invite trolls to our rating system otherwise, and we should promote pinball goodwill even when heavily critiquing a game. But i'm with you pinballslave, Dr. Who is definetely NOT my game. However, my girlfriend loves it!!! Each their own ya know?

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

However, my girlfriend loves it!!! Each their own ya know?

You're both lucky and unlucky there... lucky to have a g/f that likes pinball... and well, you know what the unlucky part is

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from Martijn:

it surprises me nobody ever discovered this before

I guess it's because no-one dislakes any pin as much as I dislike DW I don't know what's worse, that of SF2!

#17 12 years ago

Maybe DW beat your butt so bad you just couldn't stand it around anymore? lol

Also I was just wondering, did you not even give a fair rating to the innovation of the rising Time Expander? you don't think that's neat?
    What about the Dalek head, that's pretty cool right?
    You don't like the art on the side cab at all? Pretty bright looking, i like the color scheme and design.. is it all really worth 0's to you?

just curious what on this machine would drive you to expect a rating under 2.5.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

Maybe DW beat your butt so bad you just couldn't stand it around anymore? lol

Funny thing is, I beat it's ass... that was another thing, it was too easy!! I did think about the time expander as being possibly the only good thig about the game, and initially I did give a higher than terrible rating for 'toys and gimmicks'... but when I saw my final rating came out at around 2.7, I didn't think that that reflected my true feelings of the game... surely the time expander not being terribe can't be over a quater of the machines worth... so I went back to change it to terribe to bring the rating down to what reflected my true feelings overall... that's when I realised that 2.5 was the minimum...

Darlek head... don't like darleks, just an ugly piece of plastic on top in a small fish bowl IMO...

Cabinet art may be bright, but I don't like the colours and find it ugly... A strpped cab of just bare wood would be more attractive!

As for what drives me to want a rating less than 2.5... well, just about everything... except possibly the time expander

The best thing about this machine is that I know for sure that I'd never want one again, and that's always a nice thing to realise 'cos I know I'll not need to concern myself with the trouble of owning it (finding space etc). The 2nd best thing is the knowledge that other people like it, and so it'll be easy to move on

I probably watched too much Dr Who as a kid and thought the rubber masks abd darleks were just silly and failed to frighten me in the slightest... the opening music was excellent though!! (I even have this on 12"!).

#19 12 years ago

You are just not ready for Doctor Who...

#20 12 years ago

A shame you don't like the game.. a damn, crying shame.

Noticed you rated TAF at around a 4'ish?? that's just plain nuts, super fun even if somewhat repetitive..

Maybe you should just stick to your Zaccaria's from now on. lol

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

Noticed you rated TAF at around a 4'ish?? that's just plain nuts, super fun even if somewhat repetitive..

Well, I did have the game in my house for around 6 months, and just didn't like the game at all... there's a lot of hype about it for sure, and I'm not anti-hype (love MM to bits!!), but I just didn't get what the hype was about with this game... If it came out at around 4, it was only because my true feelings made it that way...

Zacc's a very appealing to me for some reason, especially Farfalla, but I do love many many games from many manufacturers... I do have more positive feelings than negative... or I wouldn't allow pinball to dominate my life so much...

As I said in my initial post of this topic, I knew my opinion of DW would grate with some, and I do apologise for it... And seeing your av... (I've just realised what it is!), then this apology goes a lot to you

#22 12 years ago

I think it's one thing to hate a game but to rate it terrible in every respect is a little extreme and IMO, is no different then rating DW excellent across the board (which no machine truly is) in an attempt to skew the rankings positive. I think there's something to like or dislike in just about every pin. For example, no matter how awful I think it is even Stern's ELVIS has something to like—though off the top of my head I can't imagine what that thing is—yet I didn't give it terrible all the way 'round.

#23 12 years ago

That's what I love about the game, I quite fancy either a Dr Who or T2 next time I get a space for a pin.

#24 12 years ago

I would say this, rate it as you feel and don't care about what the number ends up being. So if you think the time expander is a cool gimmick or isn't total crap then rate that aspect higher. In the end, a score of 2.5 or 2.7, what does it really matter? By the same token, if you rate a game and find out it earns a 8.5 but you feel it should be more of an 8.7 so you change something, is that really reflecting your honest opinion? It is just a number.

There may not be a lot you like about the game and and you def don't like the game play but...
    Do you not like the strategy aspect of choosing a doctor?
    You said you like the shows music so wouldn't that make the game's music at least less than terrible?
    Is the GI lighting so dark can't see the ball and the light show just suck so bad you rate it as terrible?
    Just things to think about.

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

You're not alone, I hate it too.

Likewise, I find it a horrible machine!

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from emo:

That's what I love about the game, I quite fancy either a Dr Who or T2 next time I get a space for a pin.

I have them sitting side-by-side. If you like a deep rule set and a cool mini pf, get the DW. If you want a left ramp, right ramp yawnfest, get the T2. The T2 may end up as trade bait soon. You would have to pry DW from my cold, dead hands.

#27 12 years ago

The T2 may end up as trade bait soon. You would have to pry DW from my cold, dead hands.

qft. My DW is here to stay.

On the T2, I want dibs if you decided to move it.

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

On the T2, I want dibs if you decided to move it. []

Hmmm, what do you have to trade? Maybe DH... never played it but I like the theme.

Go ahead... make my day!

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

There may not be a lot you like about the game and and you def don't like the game play but...
    Do you not like the strategy aspect of choosing a doctor?
    You said you like the shows music so wouldn't that make the game's music at least less than terrible?
    Is the GI lighting so dark can't see the ball and the light show just suck so bad you rate it as terrible?
    Just things to think about.

Fair enough... I may go back and change my ratings a bit... The music, by the way, is excellent because of the bass sounds and excellent quality of the 80s synthasized noise... blasted out of the Hi-Fi it's excellent... hearing it on that machine, however, is far from the same... I certainly wouldn't play the game to hear the music, I'd just put the 12" on

On the subject of numbers not coming out what you'd expect, this 'subject' was raised in another post on ratings called 'ratings conundrum', I do like to be fair, and I do respect ratings, which is why I'm raising these things... some advice given on this other post was that if, after rating a game, the ratings number doesn't feel right for your overall view of the game, go back and change something to bring it more in line... so after rating the time expander 'decent' and seeing my overall rating at over 25%, I thought that this didn't reflect my overall feeling... which is why I turned it down... that's when I realised that 25% is the minimum, and to be honest, this game gets an overall 20% from me... I do understand why pinside set a bottom point on ratings (to stop trolls messing things up), but a lower level of 25% seems a bit high to me... 10% would be better I think... The less you like a game, the more this 25% boost has effect on your rating...

I admit the DW probably does have some good features, but my feelings for the game are dominated by the artwork, theme and sounds... and to be honest, the lower boost of 25% brings the game to an overall ratings level that exceeds my overall feelings for it...

There is also a side of me that like the underdog, so my dragging this game down is actually making me like it a bit more

#30 12 years ago

Hmmm, what do you have to trade? Maybe DH... never played it but I like the theme.
    Go ahead... make my day!

you'd have to ask Pwninshiznat about that one. Not my fave, but i doubt he will want to get rid of it.
    If you want to sell it in the future, definitely let us know!

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

Funny thing is, I beat it's ass... that was another thing, it was too easy!!

I would love to hear you elaborate more on this statement. really? too easy? Probably the hardest pin in the house here, right after Fish Tales.

How many Davros Jackpots were you able to achieve on the average?

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

How many Davros Jackpots were you able to achieve on the average?

You may have a valid point there phrmtek, it was a LONG time ago when I had the game set up, and to be honest, I struggle now to remember the strategy... I do remember making the right ramp to get the playfield multiplier up and kind of being trapped in a loop with that middle left flipper... and the annoying phrase it would say every time I made the shot... but as for the actual playing strategy, I don't remember where I got on it... so I admit that my phrase 'I beat it's ass, it was too easy' may have been a little hasty... more accurate would have been 'I had the feeling I was beating it's ass, but it was so long ago and I was so repulsed by the artwork and sounds that I couldn't stand playing it for long enough, so I'm not sure that I got sufficiently into the gameplay and rule set to really get to the point of beating it's ass...' I do remember some annoying sound at some point when killing a Darlek... it was so bad that I would prefer not to make the shot! I guess I should have played it with the sound off!

So, I officially retreact and apologise for my statement 'I beat it's ass' and would like to replace it with that above

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

If you want to sell it in the future, definitely let us know!

I would rather trade. I can't see reducing my collection... ever. I'm not in a big hurry to get rid of it anyway. T2 is ok; I just don't like it as much as my other DMDs.

#34 12 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

For those who are interetsted, I have amended my ways and have gone back and re-rated both TAF and DW to be more fair... trying not to be influenced by the terrible artwork and sounds (applies to DW only) and trying not to be influenced by the lower rating threshold of 25%... I suppose I did enjoy TAF a bit while is was in the house, but as soon as Baywatch was put next to it, the TAF never got played!! It was then I realised I wasn't a Bally/Williams snob as I thought I was

11 years later
    #35 10 months ago

Well.. it’s been 11 years. How the hell is everyone?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-game-ever-ratings-oddity and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.