Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by twenty84
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B21B2C4A-15C8-4FEE-94DA-B5E558F2DA78 (resized).jpeg
    7DA1DBBC-E3AE-42E5-87BD-59C4238B0CBB (resized).jpeg
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

What are the warts or meh features on otherwise great games?

I’m thinking some games don’t have anything bad at all, if you can think of a pin that’s perfect post it here and maybe someone will find it’s bad feature.

TZ it’s perfect but pops have a tendency to drain so that would be the worst feature although I don’t really mind the pops and think that’s being picky.

LotR is great, I do think it’s kind of dark but I can live with that, don’t hate the path of the dead but think it’s kind of meh on anotherwise great pin.

DI which I love overall it’s seems so completely engineered and well though out but the upper PF (what the hell??). Guess they spent all the money on the phone and theatre and had only $4 left over and said oh shit we forgot to design the upper PF let’s just throw this piece of plastic with a whole in the middle up there. 7DA1DBBC-E3AE-42E5-87BD-59C4238B0CBB (resized).jpeg7DA1DBBC-E3AE-42E5-87BD-59C4238B0CBB (resized).jpeg

#2 5 years ago

I’ll give a near perfect game maybe you all can find it’s bad feature.

AFM

I was going to say the video mode in AFM is a bad feature, but I don’t hate it. I generally don’t like video modes like in T2 or IJ but in AFM is not horrible. Other than that I’m not seeing too much wrong with AFM.

#3 5 years ago

Soccer ball on WCS seems kinda pointless and the magna save is surely useless on that game.

#4 5 years ago

The GREY attack on Congo is really stupid

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from tonedef131:

Is that the monkey lower PF?? That’s bad.

The lower PF on AcDc is not *great* but it’s very cool and fun. I think the code for AcDc lower PF could be better but as for fun and shooting it’s very good.

#6 5 years ago

The skillshots and video modes in Ghostbusters.

The cliffys on Dialed In.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Is that the monkey lower PF?? That’s bad.
    The lower PF on AcDc is not *great* but it’s very cool and fun. I think the code for AcDc lower PF could be better but as for fun and shooting it’s very good.

The ACDC lower playfield is fine as far as lower playfields go. That cannon can blow me though. Not only does it drains >50% of the time bouncing off the drops, but it completely blocks your view of the right inlane/outlane completely eliminating your ability to nudge save.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

LotR is great, I do think it’s kind of dark but I can live with that, don’t hate the path of the dead but think it’s kind of meh on anotherwise great pin.

Agreed. Would have been way cooler if it had a controlled tilt like IJ from the factory

#9 5 years ago

A.c. dc lower playfield. Love game hate lower pf.
    Come to think of it, I I never met a lower playfield I liked.
    Worst is black hole. Ball drainer.

#10 5 years ago

I sold my CV when I realized bashing the ringmaster was just chopping wood.

#11 5 years ago

Agreed on the lower playfield on AC/DC. Great game but that thing doesn't do anything for me

#12 5 years ago

Don't have the game anymore, but the ramp on Raven.

You have to light it, then make a perfect shot to hit the super skinny thing and your reward is a 50/50 chance of getting a bonus multiplier.

No thanks, I'll just shoot the lanes up top.

Added over 5 years ago:

EDIT: Damn I misread the title and thought it said Worst feature on a game you have. No, no, no....I do not love Raven.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from tonedef131:

It's mostly out of the way, and then offers a quick non-video-mode that's completely mechanical and fits the theme very well. When dialed in, each letter can be hit with a certain shot, so it's not just button mashing.

If we're dissecting flaws on Congo, the two bad ones are...

1) Satellite Transfer - The two largest standup targets become a frenzy with nothing else active on the PF and you're stuck either timing out the frenzy, or risking shooting those which are pretty much aimed SDTM... all for marginal points.
    2) Perimeter Defense - I don't even know what I did when I light this, and I always hit it when lit by mistake, and then I see a wonderfully integrated PF insert light up a beautiful blue, hear an ape call out... and then see it was worth a measly 5 points. Don't even know why that's a target.

The lower PF also is active in Super MB which gives awesome simultaneous dual PF action.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

DI which I love overall it’s seems so completely engineered and well though out but the upper PF (what the hell??). Guess they spent all the money on the phone and theatre and had only $4 left over and said oh shit we forgot to design the upper PF let’s just throw this piece of plastic with a whole in the middle up there. [quoted image]

You're just not using it right. When Betty's arm is down, a left ramp shot deflects onto the upper playfield, and can be nudged (with correct timing) into either the hole to the pops (handy for ACID RAIN or SELFIE mode) or off the top to the skill shot switch (to set up a side ramp shot).

I am apparently incapable of loving a machine with a shot I hate, as I can't think of one right off.

#15 5 years ago

How about guns in place of shooter rods? Sure, they look cool with a nice finished, but that fades fast when you wack into one in a dark room.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from brenna98:

How about guns in place of shooter rods? Sure, they look cool with a nice finished, but that fades fast when you wack into one in a dark room.

True, but I've caught enough pockets on shooter handles to know they have their own issues. That said, I'm not a fan of games that drop the plunger entirely in favor of a push button. It's just not the same.

My main problem would probably be single shots that end up dominating the whole game, to the exclusion of most other strategies, because making repeat shots is so exploitable. See Hook, Black Rose, Gilligan's Island, Elvira, and some Python works. The unfortunate thing is that I love most of those games aside from that one shared pet peeve.

#17 5 years ago

Gun launchers own

B21B2C4A-15C8-4FEE-94DA-B5E558F2DA78 (resized).jpegB21B2C4A-15C8-4FEE-94DA-B5E558F2DA78 (resized).jpeg
    #18 5 years ago

The ability to move the rollover lane on the skill shot while the ball is in play on both Medieval Madness and Attack from Mars. That is awkward coding and everyone should be getting the skill shot on every pseudo-plunge. I’ve never owned either, and maybe that can be changed in the settings.

The playfield art on the Lord of the Rings is horrendous. That right ramp shot is also pretty bad.

All three are incredible games, but to me those are warts.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Looking4FirstPin:

The ability to move the rollover lane on the skill shot while the ball is in play on both Medieval Madness and Attack from Mars. That is awkward coding and everyone should be getting the skill shot on every pseudo-plunge. I’ve never owned either, and maybe that can be changed in the settings.
    The playfield art on the Lord of the Rings is horrendous. That right ramp shot is also pretty bad.
    All three are incredible games, but to me those are warts.

Eh. That skill shot is for teaching the most brand new people to the hobby what a "skill shot" is. The real skill shot is hold the left flipper and plunge. I like the way TNA handles this though. You get extra points if you don't move the lit lane after you plunge. Nice compromise.

Anyways, the paddle boat on Maverick kills flow in that game. It wouldn't be so bad if it would move faster, but I guess it wouldn't look like much of a paddle wheel boat if it was spinning fast.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

The lower PF also is active in Super MB which gives awesome simultaneous dual PF action.

this is lacking in AcDc

#21 5 years ago

I can think of 3 in LOTR. Ring shot(inconsistent but critical), path of the dead(slows game down), and gimli shot(when trying on purpose, never sticks). All three give some real ugh moments. That said, it's still a great game.

#22 5 years ago

Theatre of Magic Plunger Ramp.
    I wish somehow they could have designed that ramp/skill shot to connect to the orbit and have a plunge-orbit to the left flipper to a trunk hit for skill shot and an orbit- orbit trunk hit for a super skill shot.
    Might not be enough room, maybe Pat Lawlor could have made that work.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from DrDQ:

Might not be enough room, maybe Pat Lawlor could have made that work.

Yes but then where would that pesky 3rd flipper go?

#24 5 years ago

Definitely Skill Shot and Woodbury Skill Shot crap on TWD.

#25 5 years ago

Flight 2000 Walker is a waste of space

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes but then where would that pesky 3rd flipper go?

He’d replace the useless Poof Target with a micro-mini flipper

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from tonedef131:

Gun launchers own
    [quoted image]

That is a sweet looking gun on shadow. I once had IJ, Shadow and Dirty Harry at the same time-love the guns on pins- not a fan of the launch button

#28 5 years ago

Power playfield on TZ.

#29 5 years ago

The constant draining on AC/DC :p

#30 5 years ago

Video mode on TOM. Just ugh.

#31 5 years ago

The spinning coffee can on BDK...I would love to know what they abandoned when they couldn't get it to work.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from tonedef131:

Gun launchers own
    [quoted image]

I need details about that gun!

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from tonedef131:

The ACDC lower playfield is fine as far as lower playfields go. That cannon can blow me though. Not only does it drains >50% of the time bouncing off the drops, but it completely blocks your view of the right inlane/outlane completely eliminating your ability to nudge save.

Totally agree

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Definitely Skill Shot and Woodbury Skill Shot crap on TWD.

I think that's all fine.

#35 5 years ago

I was going to say video mode on Tommy but I’ll simplify it to all video modes on all games. Some are better than others but deep down...they all suck.

#36 5 years ago

I bet you the video mode on GOT is worse than Tommy.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from OilGuy:

I bet you the video mode on GOT is worse than Tommy.

LOL because I have both games and the verdict is...I can’t pick because they’re both so shitty.

#38 5 years ago

Transformers-upper PF is simply horrible but otherwise the game is a blast.

LOTR-Not only is POTD a horrible design feature but the 'Shire' drop is one of the worst design fails ever. Having a ball drastically fall off POTD onto Arwen plastic and then drop into Shire-what was Gomez thinking? I still believe a diverter is the way to go regardless of not adding extra souls in Shire. If they ever do a vault-they need to address this. Great game otherwise

Avengers-Hulk tie ups with arms, again not a good design. If you higher or lower too much it does not interact with ball properly. Meanwhile Hulk arms tie up balls and kill flow while you wait for a reset. Still love the game though

Ghostbusters-flipper gap is too extreme and I don't want to add carrot flippers or center post. Still love the game

GOT-Video mode, I mean C 'mon how long did someone take to program that? Like 2 hours? It is really bad and also the skill shot is meh. Still on my top 5 list

Houdini-Game I want to love but because of a bad design is a brick fest-should have made it a wide body or eliminated a lane. Shots are simply too tight.

AC/DC- lower PF was fun for the first couple times playing it, then it became a nuisance and annoying to me as it killed the flow of the game. Love the Pro

GOTG- Orb drop target pops ball up to glass abruptly, needs protector or plastic extension to help eliminate problem. Fun game great for the family

Rolling Stones- Mick on Stick-Really? Game is fun as hell to play and has great music but Stern simply cut one too many corners when they added Mick on a Stick-should have made 3 dimensional and not thin plastic. Still one of my favorite music pins

Now let's talk about pops. I am on my soapbox now.....I can't stand pops in most newer games. Often times they are in a position in upper right or something and they do absolutely nothing! Why are they there? Nostalgia? I like pops that actually do something on a playfield like on TZ with lower playfield pops that project the ball randomly and make you react. Almost all of today's design's have the ball enter pops-bounce around and then exit out of gate or lane-that is not what they were designed for, and are a waste of space.

#39 5 years ago

Agreed about the pops, sometimes there is only one exit such as SM which exits to the right orbit.

TNA has great use of a singe pop bumper.

#40 5 years ago

Stern PotC with the jackpot saucer which ejects to the pops often the ball will fall back into the saucer again and again. It’s not horrible but annoying.

#41 5 years ago

Ghostbusters - Best looking pin out there, but the "Start Button" is the worst. Pressing it means you have to actually play the game.

#42 5 years ago

The skill shot on Popeye. I actually love the game whilst most people hate on it. I think that skill shot wheel is just ridiculous!

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Video mode on TOM. Just ugh.

I like it.

#44 5 years ago

Hate the judges on CV. Wish there was an option to turn them off. Its what made me get rid of the game. Video modes are crappy too, but I can live with those since they come up way less often. Other than that, it's a pretty good game, IMO.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from tonedef131:

Gun launchers own
    [quoted image]

I still have bruises from my Shadow gun...

#46 5 years ago

The music from Roadshow made me sell it...otherwise its a fantastic game

#47 5 years ago

Meh. I dislike the skill shot on TotAN. I realize it does take some skill but it kind of didn’t click with me. I think it was great that the designers went to all that trouble but I just didn’t bother with it. A lot of skill shots are like that for me where I’m not too concerned with them. More of a novelty.

The lamp on TotAN I could do without as well. Otherwise was a great pin.

#48 5 years ago

Without the lamp there's nothing in the game. Love the old throw back features.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

...Guess they spent all the money on the phone and theatre and had only $4 left over and said oh shit we forgot to design the upper PF let’s just throw this piece of plastic with a whole in the middle up there. [quoted image]

When I first played DI, I actually thought something was broken because it didn't look like the ball should be up there - like an air ball that fell on some plastic traps.

I actually like the pops in TZ. Most games have pops up high where there is little risk of ball draining. I like the tension you get when the ball gets into the pops on TZ. It also influences which shots you take and some risk/reward. I love TZ but if I had to complain, I don't like the ball launch. The skill shot is pretty neat but you are basically punished for doing it. The alternative of doing a full plunge into a scoop doesn't seem like a clean way to start a ball. Rather see it launched around the orbit but that's really nit picking.

I also agree about Congo and the satellite targets. Completely pointless. You don't get that many points for it, you are locked out of everything else, and it's a dangerous shot.

#50 5 years ago

Superdog on FunHouse. The points are absolutely worthless.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-feature-on-a-game-you-love- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.