(Topic ID: 164825)

Worst excuse for negotiating a price downward

By Mr68

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jerry_(resized).jpg
    I_see_what_you_did_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vdojaq.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#56 7 years ago

Yep, several times been asked for a discount because it was going to cost them $200 to put LED's in it. My answer is always, but it didn't come with LED's so that is YOUR choice, your cost.

That is like asking for $500 bucks off of a used vehicle because it has black sidewall tires and you want raised white letters.

#63 7 years ago

If I agree to a price, get there and the machine is completely misrepresented, I speak my issues and just say I am going to pass. If they then want to reopen negotiations, then I may or may not be game. Usually I am pissed off enough that I don't even want to bother.

Had once made a deal on a Bally KISS from pictures only. It was in Ft.Wayne. The guy was very good with his camera angles that I could not see that the front of the cabinet had been kicked in at one point and he had fixed it with bondo and/or wood filler. The coin door frame wasn't even sitting correctly. I get there , see this, and just say sorry, this isn't the machine as you described. His jaw hit the floor and questioned that I was just going to walk away after driving 4 hours. He then asked "what's it worth to you? " I said $500 as I was walking away. He laughed and said not a chance. 3 weeks later he called and asked if I was still interested at $500. I said nope, I offered $500 right then and there.

#106 7 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

I always ask if they are firm on the price...never hurts. But I don't push the issue and give excuses. I had a guy work on me for an hour because he "had to rent a truck" to come and get the pin. I explained that was his cost, not mine, and if he didn't take the pin, he would be in the same hole for the rental.
    Now with that said, the one thing I don't figure into the cost is the travel. I see a lot of folks do, and if I were doing this for a business, then I would probably think differently. But to me the travel is just part of the experience. I get something out of seeing different places....even if it is Ohio! lol Shipping is a different story to me....I figure that into the cost, because I get nothing from it other than the pin delivered to my door. I realize I am in the minority here, but I am always willing to drive a decent distance to pick something up, unless it is a place I really don't want to go......

I actually enjoy the road trips.....gives me time to think about other things going on in life. Sometimes, depending on location, my wife comes with and we make a mini trip of it. Bring the laptop and have some fun with Priceline. We have stayed in some 4 & 5 star hotels for dirt cheap.

1 week later
    #112 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

I actually can't comment here with a story about someone trying to lower a price on one of my games because I've never sold one!

So your post was about nothing? Nothing at all? Yeah, it's about nothing!

jerry_(resized).jpgjerry_(resized).jpg

#120 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"I didn't bring enough money" has got to be the worst one.

If you are gonna buy something, bring enough cash to satisfy the asking price.

THIS, 100%

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vdojaq.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-excuse-for-negotiating-a-price-downward?tu=vdojaq and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.